Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
    He bought a 1.1 million dollar condo in 2011, so he would have to be a millionaire, as no bank would loan anyone that kind of money to buy a house if they weren't.
    He never bought the NYC condo, according to a fan meeting interview in Russia in March 2011 (part 2 of video): http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...d-articles-v-3

ETA:
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    On another note, thanks for sharing the blog post Sylvia. It's good to hear that Johnny is continuing to train every day and work on programs for next season. Can someone remind me - how many times has Johnny completed a clean quad in competition?
    You're welcome. I'm interested in Johnny Weir the competitive skater and I prefer to read his blogs about his own skating and training.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 03-01-2013 at 03:09 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    I adored Johnny when he first came on the scene, remember telling my husband to listen to him skate; he had quiet edges and moves, just like Michelle Kwan. He was brilliant; however, the operative word here is was. Too many distractions got in the way, too many histrionics and attention-getting schemes and ridiculous interviews and grabs for the spotlight. I still think Johnny has moments of brilliance, but my basic attitude anymore toward him as a skater is "Shut-up and SKATE!!!!" Otherwise, have the grace to back off from the competitive scene at least and figure out what the next steps in life are.
    "Once you've skated together long enough, and you're really good friends, you can close your eyes, put your hand out and she's right there." Joe Dolkiewicz, 2011 US Novice Pairs Bronze Medalist

vCash
    Here's Weir's first blog as one of the Team USA Winter Sports bloggers - he reviews 2013 US Nationals very tactfully for him.

Team USA Looks Great (2/28/13): http://www.teamusa.org/Team-USA-Wint...oks-Great.aspx
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
    He bought a 1.1 million dollar condo in 2011, so he would have to be a millionaire, as no bank would loan anyone that kind of money to buy a house if they weren't.
    Johnny looked at a condo as part of a tv show called Selling New York but he never intended to buy one. If you look at his and his husband's tweets you will see they live in a two bedroom apartment in the (to quote Springsteen) swamps of Jersey.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    . It's good to hear that Johnny is continuing to train every day and work on programs for next season. Can someone remind me - how many times has Johnny completed a clean quad in competition?
    Johnny never landed a clean quad, he tends to double foot them. I really think he has a mental block about doing the quad and that's why they are so hard for him to land.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex View Post
    Her opinion of course, but yet you state your opinions as fact. I know you like Johnny, but you respond to almost every single post that you don't like. Why is that? Why do you take it so personal when someone is critical of Johnny?
    Apparently, that's how you are perceiving and interpreting my posts. As a matter of course, if I say something that someone else doesn't view in the same fashion, then it's my opinion, whether or not I include IMO in every single sentence. This is a message board and everyone has a go at what they have to say at all times. Some people agree and some don't. And frankly, it seems to me that it's my posts others often take personally.

When I first came here, the most innocuous and doting comment by a Johnny fan who was new to the board would be jumped all over in a brutal fashion which made many of Johnny's devoted fans stay away or rarely post, especially not in Johnny threads. I am opinionated and I don't mind sharing my viewpoints, so I say what I have to say and let the chips fall where they may. There are apparently many people here who do not share my perceptions of Johnny, but so what. Does that mean I'm supposed to conform my views to the status quo? If I have a differing view and I feel like voicing it, I do so. It's up to others how they perceive what I say. Why take it personally?
    Last edited by aftershocks; 03-01-2013 at 08:30 PM.

vCash
    I think it's absolutely fine to share viewpoints on Johnny. Like him, don't like him, whatever.

BUT, let's separate fact from opinion. Fact: Johnny wrote in his book that he a faked an injury to get out of a competition.

That's a lot different than someone posting that they believe Johnny always fakes injuries to get out of competition.

I do think it's reasonable for someone, based on Johnny's own statement, to doubt Johnny's credibility where his injuries are concerned.

I like Johnny's skating. Always have. I don't really follow Johnny's life, so I have no opinion there except that I hope he's enjoying it!

O-

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aftershocks View Post
    Apparently, that's how you are perceiving and interpreting my posts. As a matter of course, if I say something that someone else doesn't view in the same fashion, then it's my opinion, whether or not I include IMO in every single sentence. This is a message board and everyone has a go at what they have to say at all times. Some people agree and some don't. And frankly, it seems to me that it's my posts others often take personally.

When I first came here, the most innocuous and doting comment by a Johnny fan who was new to the board would be jumped all over in a brutal fashion which made many of Johnny's devoted fans stay away or rarely post, especially not in Johnny threads. I am opinionated and I don't mind sharing my viewpoints, so I say what I have to say and let the chips fall where they may. There are apparently many people here who do not share my perceptions of Johnny, but so what. Does that mean I'm supposed to conform my views to the status quo? If I have a differing view and I feel like voicing it, I do so. It's up to others how they perceive what I say. Why take it personally?
    I think you are the one taking it personally, because you make it a point to respond to almost every post about him...

vCash
    PEACE ON EARTH AND GOODWILL ONTO MEN AND WOMEN
    (have to be politically correct)
    Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them. – Publilius Syrus

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Here's Weir's first blog as one of the Team USA Winter Sports bloggers - he reviews 2013 US Nationals very tactfully for him.

Team USA Looks Great (2/28/13): http://www.teamusa.org/Team-USA-Wint...oks-Great.aspx
    Thank you. A well written and tactful review indeed.

vCash
    Johnny, never ceases to be interesting....

vCash
    When I first came here, the most innocuous and doting comment by a Johnny fan who was new to the board would be jumped all over in a brutal fashion which made many of Johnny's devoted fans stay away or rarely post, especially not in Johnny threads.
    Yet another example of opinion, not fact. A look at the archives will show otherwise.

And, incidentally, this is not a Johnny fan board. It's a discussion forum. A poster who only wants to discuss Johnny as being and to respond with to anyone who says something otherwise - they shouldn't be surprised if they are not warmly welcomed.

There are apparently many people here who do not share my perceptions of Johnny, but so what.
    It's apparently "what" enough for you to pronounce at every possible opportunity that your perceptions are accurate, and anyone with a different perception is wrong, reading-challenged, or struggling with personal issues.
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by OliviaPug View Post
    I think it's absolutely fine to share viewpoints on Johnny. Like him, don't like him, whatever.

BUT, let's separate fact from opinion. Fact: Johnny wrote in his book that he a faked an injury to get out of a competition.

That's a lot different than someone posting that they believe Johnny always fakes injuries to get out of competition.

I do think it's reasonable for someone, based on Johnny's own statement, to doubt Johnny's credibility where his injuries are concerned.

I like Johnny's skating. Always have. I don't really follow Johnny's life, so I have no opinion there except that I hope he's enjoying it!

O-

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    It's apparently "what" enough for you to pronounce at every possible opportunity that your perceptions are accurate, and anyone with a different perception is wrong, reading-challenged, or struggling with personal issues.
    THANK you, overedge!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judiz View Post
    Johnny never landed a clean quad, he tends to double foot them. I really think he has a mental block about doing the quad and that's why they are so hard for him to land.
    Oh, he's landed them alright in practice. He's even landed them in a three-jump combination in practice. But I agree, he does seem to have a mental block about doing the quadruple toe loop in competition.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aftershocks
    When I first came here, the most innocuous and doting comment by a Johnny fan who was new to the board would be jumped all over in a brutal fashion which made many of Johnny's devoted fans stay away or rarely post, especially not in Johnny threads.
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge
    Yet another example of opinion, not fact. A look at the archives will show otherwise.
    Yeah, well I witnessed it happening a few times some years ago. I have also spoken to Johnny fans who’ve felt that way. Have fun taking a look at the archives.

And, incidentally, this is not a Johnny fan board. It's a discussion forum.
    Thanks for pointing out the obvious. As I already said in an earlier post in this thread, this is a skating fan forum where people have a go at speaking their mind and no one is ever going to agree 100% with everyone.

A poster who only wants to discuss Johnny as being and to respond with to anyone who says something otherwise - they shouldn't be surprised if they are not warmly welcomed.
    There are many fans with differing opinions regarding Johnny, but the most vocal ones here seem to be those who hold negative opinions. And so if I and a couple of other people post more positive reflections and less angry with Johnny perspectives, that does not mean we think Johnny is a saint, but seemingly without fail that’s how you and others who share your opinion perceive it.

That’s entirely your perception, and if that’s how you and Rex perceive the intention of my comments, then your views are true for each of you. Since you are the one who mentioned it, overedge, perhaps it’s you who unwittingly feels that my perceptions are more accurate. I don’t control how you or anyone else thinks or feels.

Like everyone who posts on FSU, I’ll post when I have something to say in whatever thread on whatever topic. As far as Johnny, it might seem to you and Rex as if I comment on “almost every post about him, at every possible opportunity.” Again, that appears to be both your perceptions, however exaggerated and inaccurate, not to mention impossible for me to accomplish. Maybe it’s a back-handed compliment that you two think I’d even have the inclination to try.

Often in Johnny threads, not even a bit of satirical humor will help to turn down the heat or staunch the flow of self-righteous outrage against Mr. Weir, and against any outspoken fan who has the effrontery to disagree with some negative comments and to express more expansive, yet not completely uncritical views.

It seems overedge, that you and Rex are particularly focused on examining my posts and the intent behind them. Perhaps you and Rex should stop taking my posts so personally.

Since Johnny is such a polarizing figure, IMO, he should be included on that Bleacher Report list of the 50 most loved/ hated athletes.

vCash
    Yeah, well I witnessed it happening a few times some years ago. I have also spoken to Johnny fans who’ve felt that way. Have fun taking a look at the archives.
    I've already done that, thanks. I know what they show.

Thanks for pointing out the obvious. As I already said in an earlier post in this thread, this is a skating fan forum
    It's a skating DISCUSSION forum. If someone is a fan of a particular skater, and wants to discuss the wonderfulness of that particular skater with other fans, there are plenty of places online for a skater's fan to do exactly that.

That does not mean we think Johnny is a saint, but seemingly without fail that’s how you and others who share your opinion perceive it.
    Just a wild and crazy guess, but I'm guessing that perception is created when you fly off the handle and attack nearly every opinion or post even vaguely critical of Johnny's actions, or behaviours.

Since you are the one who mentioned it, overedge, perhaps it’s you who unwittingly feels that my perceptions are more accurate.
    Like everyone who posts on FSU, I’ll post when I have something to say in whatever thread on whatever topic. As far as Johnny, it might seem to you and Rex as if I comment on “almost every post about him, at every possible opportunity.” Again, that appears to be both your perceptions, however exaggerated and inaccurate, not to mention impossible for me to accomplish. Maybe it’s a back-handed compliment that you two think I’d even have the inclination to try.
    Seriously? Is this your idea of reasonable discussion? Anyone who wants to can look through Johnny threads and get a pretty idea of your posting style, and how far, far different it is from what you claim it is.
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

vCash
    Ah yes, overedge, you seem to be the self-appointed perfect person to preach about reasonable discussion and to tsk tsk about flying off the handle. Since you perceive that I "attack nearly every opinion or post even vaguely critical of Johnny's actions or behaviors," then obviously that's true in your view and whoever else's who sees it that way.

Par for kerfuffles in Johnny threads. I'll bet what you term as my attacks aren't going to stop anyone from expressing their negative opinions of Mr. Weir.

Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    ...Anyone who wants to can look through Johnny threads and get a pretty idea of your posting style, and how far, far different it is from what you claim it is.
    I doubt that anyone interested in what you deem to be my posting style needs to search Johnny threads to gain a "pretty idea" of it. I haven't claimed anything about a "posting style," but obviously you are personally engaged with the way you perceive it.

For the moment, my posting style should probably be to admonish my own ego to ignore anymore of your ego's "wild and crazy guesses."

vCash
    aftershocks, I can name flaws in every single one of my favourites. I am more than willing to talk about said flaws, too. I accept that they are not perfect.

You seem completely unable to accept that Johnny is not only not perfect but attack those who dare point out his flaws. I assume the reminder that he has faked illness and injury before struck a nerve with you, with the vigour you came out with to dismiss it as nothing important!

vCash
    I'm one of those people who dared to express positive feelings toward Johnny and was roundly told that this is a discussion board, not a fan board, that Johnny is not a saint, etc, etc. All things i knew. I was also sent a PM informing me that I was not the only one whose overall opinion of Johnny is positive, but that aside from a few people, most of those had been driven away because they had been made to feel uncomfortable. I, too, eventually stopped posting. The whole thing is just silly. My opinion is that fans of Johnny are far too forgiving/willing to turn a blind eye to his flaws (far more forgiving than Johnny himself, who can be quite self-critical) but that others are far too critical every time Johnny proves himself to be human. Johnny probably would have been better off not admitting that he faked injury at age 20 or whatever it was. If he had just put in the time and effort to forge a perfect image, he wouldn't be under such scrutiny now. But my personal preference is that I'm drawn to people who are flawed but openly so. Johnny is like everyone else. He does wonderful things, he does terrible things, he does responsible things, he does irresponsible things. But since he is an athlete in a sport where being a "bad boy" is not a good fit, he is subject to more criticism than your average person who acted like a jerk at times in their 20s. Again, the amount of energy spent debating each of Johnny's words and actions is amazing.I'm now content to just sit back and marvel at this board, where people on both sides seem to derive a lot of pleasure in the debate. Stepping away from posting again. I just hope everyone stays civil!
    BTW, to state the obvious, we don't really know any of these people. We've seen enough athletes fall from grace lately to see that everything is smoke and mirrors anyway. I really try to take everything, good and bad, with a grain of salt these days.
    Last edited by Justathoughtabl; 03-02-2013 at 03:24 PM. Reason: add info

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast