Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    vCash
    His goal to attend at the Olympics makes him more relevant and interesting celebrity to be invited to all kinds if shows and interviews.

vCash
    I think Johnny should go try to compete for Russia. That would be as realistic as these things he is saying.
    Last edited by TheIronLady; 02-13-2013 at 09:25 AM.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Artistic Skaters View Post
    Maybe he doesn't need to pretend he's going to skate, but my impression of JW is that he can never have TOO many people talking about him. Positive, negative, or otherwise.
    I think one of the reasons Johnny tried to go back to skating is that of all his endeavours, skating is the only one where he's achieved anything and enjoyed any kind of success or real fame.

Quote Originally Posted by IceIceBaby View Post
    His goal to attend at the Olympics makes him more relevant and interesting celebrity to be invited to all kinds if shows and interviews.
    And this is another one.

podcast mistress
    Ready to interview Uncle Dickie at any time.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheIronLady View Post
    I think Johnny should go try to compete for Russia. That would be as realistic as these things he is saying.
    Frankly, Russia needs him.
    In my spare time, I like to interview figure skating legends.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by manleywoman View Post
    Frankly, Russia needs him.
    So right, even at this age and stage of his existence. And, maybe Johnny needs TAT! Oooh what a match made in heaven that was. Guess TAT is praying for something similar with young Kovtun, who is seemingly being rushed out to the senior scene so quickly in desperation. Too bad they dissed veteran Menshov in the process. If Johnny had been born in Russia, wowsers, he might already have an Olympic medal and a World gold medal.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aftershocks View Post
    So right, even at this age and stage of his existence. And, maybe Johnny needs TAT! Oooh what a match made in heaven that was. Guess TAT is praying for something similar with young Kovtun, who is seemingly being rushed out to the senior scene so quickly in desperation. Too bad they dissed veteran Menshov in the process. If Johnny had been born in Russia, wowsers, he might already have an Olympic medal and a World gold medal.
    Or he'd be training in awful physical conditions, and you know how good he is at over coming small obstacles.

Beach Bum
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pinky166 View Post
    I find it interesting Johnny says he easily could have done very well when the 4 men's medalists all scored well over 240 points for total scores while in the events Johnny competed in this season he was getting like 200. So really, you think you could "very easily" jump 40-50 points over the course of a couple months?

Perhaps he thought he would get the benefit of Nationals inflation and those points would just appear out of the blue.

Regarding this: "On the motives behind his comeback: "I wasn't coming back to keep people talking about me. I have enough people talking about me in many other industries, I don't need to pretend I'm going to skate."" Um, directed at anyone in particular?

I think they roll out red carpets at practically any promotional or fundraiser party in LA/Vegas.

Hair product event? http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...QEwAQ&dur=1763

Bon Appetit Vegas Uncork'd: http://www.foodfashionista.com/food_...s-uncorkd.html

Miss USA: http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...QEwAw&dur=1950 He should not go outside the Olympic village in Sochi in this outfit.
    (I knew he had to have worn a rainbow fur coat somewhere).

Do a search, he's all over the red carpet.
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

vCash
    Yes, but Johnny, do you have a cougar like Vera Wang living with you?

podcast mistress
    Ready to interview Uncle Dickie at any time.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    Some things cannot be unseen.
    In my spare time, I like to interview figure skating legends.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    I think one of the reasons Johnny tried to go back to skating is that of all his endeavours, skating is the only one where he's achieved anything and enjoyed any kind of success or real fame.
    Yes, after the movie they made about him flopped, they made a TV series about that failure. And then they made a second season on that TV series chronicling the failure of the first season.
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    What sort of HAIR product??
    Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them. – Publilius Syrus

4 More Years
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by manleywoman View Post
    Some things cannot be unseen.
    brainbleach stat!

vCash
    The total lack of taste and restraint in his wardrobe never ceases to amaze me.
    My job requires me to be a juggler, but that does not mean that I enjoy working with clowns.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Yes, after the movie they made about him flopped, they made a TV series about that failure. And then they made a second season on that TV series chronicling the failure of the first season.
    Didn't say he didn't do other things, the question is did he achieve success and fame in those endeavours? Is he a tv or reality star? Is his show highly rated or critically acclaimed? Was his book a bestseller? Is he a force in fashion design? Is anyone seeking out his commentary on fashion? Does he have legions of fans who follow him just because he's a tv star, author or fashion icon?

In skating, he won titles and medals and remains widely known and respected for his achievements and his abilities, he continues to be in demand for shows abroad, and he has a significant fan base. Therefore, it was no surprise to me that he'd try to go back to it - the one thing where he really is Somebody, rather than just Yet Another.

vCash
    Or he'd be training in awful physical conditions, and you know how good he is at over coming small obstacles.
    IDK Iron Lady, that Johnny has trouble “overcoming small obstacles.” He sure has overcome some huge ones. In any case, I’m not exactly sure what you mean by that. If you are referring to training, obviously, Johnny has admitted how tough he finds training to be, and so have other skaters. Even those who don’t talk about it live and breathe how difficult it is. I don’t think that Johnny’s dislike of training means he didn’t or doesn't ever work hard. He wouldn’t have been able to make two Olympic teams if he hadn’t worked his butt off to be in shape. Admittedly, in his late teens and early twenties, he didn’t always listen to Priscilla, but I think some of Johnny’s skating career problems had more to do with competition nerves, decisions that didn’t work out, as well as not a huge amount of support politically, and getting into trouble because of his rebellious outspoken stance and his refusal to conform in the desired manner.

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    The total lack of taste and restraint in his wardrobe never ceases to amaze me.
    Yes, that's some scary hair in that photo, and the costume is simply unforgiveable (in more ways than one ). But lighten up guys, it was a Halloween costume party. Don't we all have some embarrassing Halloween costume moments? Or for that matter, embarrassing moments, period.

vCash
    I was talking about how condescending and bitter Johnny usually seems toward the United States. Yet, living in the USA and being American has only provided Johnny with advantages. I doubt his blue collar, uneducated parents would have had three cents in Russia, let alone the money to pay for equestrian lessons. There would have been few sponsors or nice, modern rinks for him in the late 90s and 2000s. If diet issues throw him off so much that he cannot compete, what would he have done in a country with as many infrastructural and economic issues as Russia? I have no issue with Johnny's skating, but his denigration of the United States and the USFSA is puerile. His expressions of smug anti-Americanism are silly and probably the only thing Russia would have given him more opportunity to do.
    Last edited by TheIronLady; 02-15-2013 at 08:24 AM.

vCash
    I was talking about how condescending and bitter Johnny usually seems toward the United States. Yet, living in the USA and being American has only provided Johnny with advantages. I doubt his blue collar, uneducated parents would have had three cents in Russia, let alone the money to pay for equestrian lessons. There would have been few sponsors or nice, modern rinks for him in the late 90s and 2000s. If diet issues throw him off so much that he cannot compete, what would he have done in a country with as many infrastructural and economic issues as Russia? I have no issue with Johnny's skating, but his denigration of the United States and the USFSA is puerile. His expressions of smug anti-Americanism are probably the only thing he would have more freedom to do in Russia.

^^ Wow, Iron Lady. Have you read Johnny's biography? I guess whether you have or haven't, it wouldn't change your mind. Personally, I think Johnny like most of us has plenty of faults, but condescension and bitterness IMHO are not among them. It's really fascinating how for some reason Johnny seems to be a mirror of as well as a scapegoat for many people to denounce humanity's worst possible character traits.

You actually seem to be bitter and uptight yourself re your above comments, and I can't imagine why, unless you've had personal dealings with Johnny of an unpleasant nature. In fact, if Johnny had been born in Russia, he might not even be the Johnny that many of us seem to feel we know. I doubt USFS would have welcomed Johnny back this season if they felt so strongly that he denigrates them and his own country. You are on the wrong track there, in my humble estimation.

ETA:

I was talking about how condescending and bitter Johnny usually seems toward the United States when it has provided him with everything he could need under the sun...
    Not sure which version is your final edited version since we seem to be posting simultaneously.
    Last edited by aftershocks; 02-15-2013 at 08:30 AM.

vCash
    What about my comments are uptight?

We can both agree for sure than Johnny would not be "Johnny Weir" had he grown up in Russia.
    Last edited by TheIronLady; 02-15-2013 at 09:16 AM.

vCash
    Aftershocks, Don't take my rant that seriously. I probably have projected some things onto Johnny. A lot of my friends are very snobbish about America, and I take that very seriously (perhaps I am uptight? ). I think every country has its problems, and the USA has done a lot for these individuals, at least in terms of getting education and well paying jobs (which I know is not everything).

I get annoyed because I see how hard people like Plushenko had it. He grew up in what might be considered poverty by American standards. It makes me wonder if any US skater could even take it there. If you look at Michelle Kwan, she might be among the few who could because she came from that immigrant mentality where you come to America to work. I think Johnny does work hard, and I have no issues with his skating. He has in prior years given the impression that he thinks he is too good for Americans. His show even has him starry eyed in the streets of Moscow in awe over how he would be a superstar were he Russian. It can seem narcissistic and out of touch with reality.

After reading the post by you, someone who is very respectful and thoughtful, I think I should have restrained myself from making a projection. Like you said, this is not Johnny but people he reminds me of. If I knew him personally I might understand him and his Rusophilia better in context.
    Last edited by TheIronLady; 02-15-2013 at 10:25 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aftershocks View Post
    ^^ Wow, Iron Lady. Have you read Johnny's biography?
    Handy hint, aftershocks: that's not the best argument. I liked Johnny reasonably well before I read that book. After I got through it (not without being tempted to throw it across the room several times), I couldn't stand him.

Or, to put it another way: I highly doubt a Russian skater who faked and injury/illness would ever skate for Russia again. Johnny admitted to faking on a few occasions.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast