Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

vCash
    I am pretty much only interested in Johnny's public behavior. He can do or feel whatever he wants in private or on bad days in the company of just a few people. He should be allowed to think or feel however he wants about fame, his life, or bad airline service. I'm not concerned about that, and I don't think many skating fans are either. I do care about the attitudes he expresses publicly about skating, other skaters, Americans, and his own actions as a skater because he is in those cases a public figure. I also care, though to a lesser extent, how interesting I find his shtick when he goes about being a celebrity entertainer. If he is boring or cliche, then that I feel that may be worthy of criticism.

I know a lot of his fans seem to feel close to him, but I think we can agree his personal life is out of bounds for criticism (or likewise praise but that's my opinion). I understand people who admire him and feel a connection with him are going to have strong beliefs and impressions about Johnny's internal nature, but for me this is not something that needs to be probed or discussed too deeply-- not apart from his role as a skater and skating celebrity.
    Last edited by TheIronLady; 02-16-2013 at 05:56 PM.

vCash
    I understand people who admire him and feel a connection with him are going to have strong beliefs and impressions about Johnny's internal nature,
    They are called stans...

Watch me move
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aftershocks View Post

Doesn’t mean its right either, or left. IMO, it’s simply hearsay. Even when different people who happen to witness the same event or overhear the same conversation are interviewed, it is possible to receive a variety of conflicting accounts and impressions of what exactly happened or what was said and by whom, and what it might have meant. It doesn’t matter either whether the "reporter" who provided the salacious tidbits was sitting next to Johnny, across from him or down the aisle.
    And maybe the story is true. Ever considered that possibility?

If you find judiz’s innocuous comments troubling, you must have a high and unforgiving trouble-detecting threshold. ITA that we’re all human and we all behave badly on occasion, and some of us behave badly more than just on occasion. To read some of the perceptions here about Johnny tho,’ he seems to be quite often perceived and denigrated as such a reprehensible and irredeemable fame w**re. The truth about his character and motivations likely resides somewhere in the middle, again as it does for most human beings.
    I'm hardly surprised that you of all people completely missed the point of my post. My observation was on the pattern of Judiz' comments, which are invariably positive or giving a positive explanation for any even vaguely negative information about Johnny. If the truth "resides somewhere in the middle", that certainly isn't being acknowledged. And the same pattern is true of your posts, with the exception that Judiz is polite and intelligent enough not to accuse posters with negative views of having mental problems or unresolved jealousy issues.
    Who wants to watch rich people eat pizza? They must have loved that in Bangladesh. - Randy Newman on the 2014 Oscars broadcast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judiz View Post
    This is the first time I ever heard a story like that. Everyone I know who has met Johnny has only had positive things to say but everyone is entitled to having a bad day, even those in the public eye.
    Some of us don't bother to post. I saw him at a hotel once and it was not a "pretty picture" No big deal IMHO. When I lived in Nashville we once decided that 'Wannabes' tend to be ruder then real stars. It's like it's a way to "prove" their importance and part of the act. And it's all an act LOL!

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Johnny has always struck me as someone who didn't really have a real plan, or a goal. He has one foot in everything, but his main goal (to my observation) is being famous. Skating made him known, and his personality made him famous. So he's striking while the iron is hot, I suppose. But at the same time, if fame is all you want, fame turns into desperation pretty quickly. Especially when you start to fade from your original career, the one that made you known in the first place.

Anna Kournikova was known more for what she did off the tennis court than on it, but she didn't bother clawing for the limelight when it finally faded from her. It's unclear whether Johnny knows when it's his time to bow out.

I think a number of us are disappointed that Johnny is choosing to be famous over a number of other things he could be doing. He has talent, and he has a lot more to offer the world than the Kardashians ever did. So to see him basically try to be a Kardashian is disappointing.

vCash
    He needed some influences other than poor Tara Modlin.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Anita18 View Post
    Johnny has always struck me as someone who didn't really have a real plan, or a goal. He has one foot in everything, but his main goal (to my observation) is being famous. Skating made him known, and his personality made him famous. So he's striking while the iron is hot, I suppose. But at the same time, if fame is all you want, fame turns into desperation pretty quickly. Especially when you start to fade from your original career, the one that made you known in the first place.

Anna Kournikova was known more for what she did off the tennis court than on it, but she didn't bother clawing for the limelight when it finally faded from her. It's unclear whether Johnny knows when it's his time to bow out.

I think a number of us are disappointed that Johnny is choosing to be famous over a number of other things he could be doing. He has talent, and he has a lot more to offer the world than the Kardashians ever did. So to see him basically try to be a Kardashian is disappointing.
    What Johnny needs is a strong agent who can overcome his stubbornness and direct him to the post competittive skating career that will benefit him the most whether it be fashion design, commentating or skating in shows. He doesn't seem to have the force behind him now, instead surrounding himself with YES people who agree to every whim he has.

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash

Honestly, someone mentioned up thread choosing between 'equestrian' (he was just in pony hunters, which is a big deal if you're little but just a very basic stepping stone for serious riders) and skating--if he'd picked horses he'd still be coming along, most likely, unless he struck it VERY VERY VERY lucky in terms of right horse, right moment. A true phenom is someone like Reed Kessler, who is pretty much unprecedently young for an Olympic rider plus happened to be lucky in owning the right horses with the right talent in the right year with the means to support them. And Reed herself doesn't treat her career as peaked--Olympics are nice, now you have to go lay down your trips at the other GPs and earn your living until the next quad when HOPEFULLY you and the current horse will be right. Riding really doesn't have much celebrity and winning's considered good, but you don't get any real OMG CELEBRITY! just because you made an Olympic team. You have to hit the right horse (and appreciate they're often more popular--Daddy issues aside McLain Ward wouldn't be as big a deal without Sapphire.) I can see why if Johnny wanted fame and to be notable right away he went for skating.

That, and when we talk about 'flamboyant' with horse clothes, we mean someone wore an olive coat in the hunters or, SHOCKER!, French blue. Even in slightly-more-casual jumpers (after you leave hunters, if you ever do, but jumpers are where the glory is) you stick to basics. Wearing red without having made an international team or having a right to it as an 'officer' of a hunt is a huge faux pas. I don't really think Johnny had the personality to stick with horses.

vCash
    I am picturing Johnny and his husband reading this thread over their Sunday morning Starbucks and laughing their derrieres off!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by agalisgv View Post
    I think there's a difference between a fan meeting someone at a meet-and-greet or skating event, and a regular person witnessing how someone behaves when the spotlight isn't there.
    Yes. And it is not uncommon for celebrities to have big egos and be brimming-over full of themselves. For that reason, some are arrogant and rude to others they see as less important than themselves or in an inferior position to them.

Johnny particularly strikes me as an egomaniac - I would expect the world of fashion to promote ego-mania more than FS. And Johnny has made a name for himself beyond FS and distinguished himself as a C or D-rate celebrity. Not many skaters have their own reality TV show. Not surprising that he has narcissistic tendencies.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Johnny Weir at NYC Fashion Week photo gallery: http://web.icenetwork.com/photos/gal...nt_id=41668204
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Johnny Weir at NYC Fashion Week photo gallery: http://web.icenetwork.com/photos/gal...nt_id=41668204
    Thanks for the photos, Sylvia. Criminy, are Hammer pants making a comeback?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Japanfan View Post
    Yes. And it is not uncommon for celebrities to have big egos and be brimming-over full of themselves. For that reason, some are arrogant and rude to others they see as less important than themselves or in an inferior position to them.

Johnny particularly strikes me as an egomaniac - I would expect the world of fashion to promote ego-mania more than FS. And Johnny has made a name for himself beyond FS and distinguished himself as a C or D-rate celebrity. Not many skaters have their own reality TV show. Not surprising that he has narcissistic tendencies.
    What happened to the fashion line he was supposed to have created? I thought the NY Times did a piece on some dresses he designed, hoping to get a famous celeb to wear them or something....?

vCash
    fashion line he was supposed to have created
    Didn't go anywhere.

vCash
    ^^ Thanks Sylvia.

I think the Dripping in Gold outfit, and the red-fringed get up are interesting, and I like the skin-tight black pants with black and white top and leather-looking oddly cut jacket, but as for the rest, meh.

Oh well, Johnny and Victor as always look so handsome and sweet posing together.

Quote Originally Posted by snoopysnake View Post
    I am picturing Johnny and his husband reading this thread over their Sunday morning Starbucks and laughing their derrieres off!
    ^^ Yeah. Possibly tho’ Johnny and Victor have better things to do with their time, and more amusing things to laugh about (so should I, btw ).

Hey, danceronice, re your #88 post, it seems like you have an interest in, or at least have a fairly good knowledge about the horsey world. In terms of interest, me too!

Anyways my earlier reference to Johnny as an equestrian was just an example I used from his book re the fact he had to make an important choice in life at a young age (which happens to a lot of young kids involved in a variety of activities). My gosh, Johnny was indeed very young when he started riding, and despite being fairly accomplished and successful at the level he competed, he may have eventually grown out of an interest in the horsey world anyway. It’s hard to determine what he would have done in terms of equestrian pursuits, since he gave up riding in favor of figure skating at around 11 or 12 years of age. One thing is for sure, his experience as an equestrian truly benefited his posture and carriage over the ice as a figure skater.

Anita18, in your #85 post you seem genuinely confused, disappointed and frustrated about Johnny. Might it help for you to accept that none of us can live Johnny’s life for him.

Your perceptions are not invalid per how you see things, but personally, I don’t think the comparisons/ contrasts that you are making re Anna Kournikova, The Kardashians, and Johnny Weir are necessarily apt or apropos, in the way you are making them.

I think a number of us are disappointed that Johnny is choosing to be famous over a number of other things he could be doing.
    Really? Can you name those [I]number of other things[/]? Maybe you should be Johnny’s agent/ advisor.

And, maybe it’s time to bring back Sylvia’s earlier link which seems to have been overlooked by many of us.

http://www.epgn.com/pages/editionals...ion_class=blue

But yes, I know, it’s just a positive piece on Johnny in a gay publication. No fun that. We all know what we know about Johnny and furthermore we all know what’s good for him, that good for nuthin’ fame w**re.

Quote Originally Posted by Japanfan View Post

Well, if true, Japanfan, Johnny has indeed changed from the young skater who once spoke about his desire to some day design outfits that made people feel beautiful, and who was surprised he had so many fans interested in him and his skating.

I would say that most of us lead with our egos, whether or not we happen to be famous/ wannabes. As for me, I think I shall continue to defer from overly critical behavioral judgment on one, Johnny Weir-Voronov, until perchance I might have the honor or displeasure of meeting him in person.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Cross-posting from the Weir news thread in the Trash Can - his TV appearance is tonight:
    Quote Originally Posted by judiz View Post
    Johnny will appear live on Kathy Griffin's talk show this Thursday night at 11:30pm on Bravo.

Why I'm not competing this year
    Olympic figure skater Johnny Weir blogs about his decision to take the rest of the year off from skating.
    Direct link: http://espn.go.com/espnw/blog/post/3...competing-year
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

Drawing Figures
    vCash
    Some have asked about my thoughts on the recent U.S. nationals. I was very impressed with the men’s event, for the most part. Our new national champion, Max Aaron, skated a near-flawless routine and performed one of the most difficult technical programs in the past decade. (I believe that had I skated well, I would have been able to achieve one of the spots for this season’s World Championship. I definitely felt better about my possible position in U.S. figure skating after seeing the nationals.)
    Usually I consider JW to be a better writer than the sample he's offered here. This article seems like it could use a little more show, not tell, in the content.

vCash
    IMO, Johnny sounds sincere and he certainly seems to be working hard from what he has detailed. As far as his writing, it's fairly straightforward, and nothing out of the ordinary from any of his writing. In any case, I would expect Johnny to do most of his showing on the ice, come next season.

Unless you were anticipating seeing photos of Johnny in training accompanying the text, I'm not sure what else you're looking for at this point.

vCash
    Cross-posting from the Weir news thread in the Trash Can - his TV appearance is tonight:

Direct link: http://espn.go.com/espnw/blog/post/3...competing-year
    According to Celebrity Networth, Johnny is worth 10 Million, so why would he need a sponsor to help with his training expenses?
    Last edited by Iceman; 03-01-2013 at 02:34 AM.

vCash
    Some have asked about my thoughts on the recent U.S. nationals. I was very impressed with the men’s event, for the most part. Our new national champion, Max Aaron, skated a near-flawless routine and performed one of the most difficult technical programs in the past decade. (I believe that had I skated well, I would have been able to achieve one of the spots for this season’s World Championship. I definitely felt better about my possible position in U.S. figure skating after seeing the nationals.)
    Since the beginning of the season, I had planned to go on vacation right after nationals, as I wasn’t planning to compete at the Four Continents Championships even if I had qualified.
    Don't know why Johnny saw the need to boast about his chances to earn a spot on the World Championship team. Maybe Johnny did not realize that to earn a spot on the World team he would have had to earn the minimum TES scores....something that he failed to do in the two competitions that he competed in this season. However, he could have competed after Nationals to earn the required TES scores.... but it would have interfered with his vacation plans.

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast