Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aftershocks View Post
    I think they realize that he's kinda crazy, very unique, and above all, loveable. It's just some fan "types" and some media "types," or let's just say "uptight" people who don't get his humor and his cheekiness, and/ or understand how to read between the lines of what sounds to them like simply "trash talking."
    FWIW, a friend of mine sat next to JW on a very long transatlantic flight once. She isn't a skating fan and didn't know Weir from Adam. According to her, she had never witnessed anyone treat others with such condescension and contempt as she witnessed Weir treating others. Weir wasn't trying to impress anyone, so was just behaving as his usual self. He treated the agent traveling with him like a lowly servant as she ran back and forth from her economy class section to his first class seat to respond to his ongoing requests for service. He called his mom and spoke with such disdain towards her, my friend was appalled. When one of the flight attendants recognized him, Weir spoke to him with open disgust.

The only positive thing she relayed was her baggage got put back a section, so when they landed Weir told her to just push everyone aside and get it so she could exit the plane before anyone else. When she expressed discomfort with doing that, he did it for her by shoving everyone to the side of the aisle so she could get her bag. Then he told her that's how it's done, and exited the plane. So she did get off the plane quickly

That's Weir unvarnished, and I have to say I don't find that terribly lovable.

YMMV

vCash
    This is the first time I ever heard a story like that. Everyone I know who has met Johnny has only had positive things to say but everyone is entitled to having a bad day, even those in the public eye.

vCash
    I think there's a difference between a fan meeting someone at a meet-and-greet or skating event, and a regular person witnessing how someone behaves when the spotlight isn't there.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by agalisgv View Post
    I think there's a difference between a fan meeting someone at a meet-and-greet or skating event, and a regular person witnessing how someone behaves when the spotlight isn't there.
    And just because your friend says she saw Weir behave in a certain way one day doesn't mean he's that way the other 364 days of the year. Why in the world do we expect celebrities or athletes or politicians to be perfect 365 days a year? Everyone has a bad day, everyone has a day they declare war on the world, to label someone based on one bad experience is really not fair. I know I wouldn't want someone to see my at my worse and assume that's me everyday.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by agalisgv View Post
    FWIW, a friend of mine sat next to JW on a very long transatlantic flight once. She isn't a skating fan and didn't know Weir from Adam. According to her, she had never witnessed anyone treat others with such condescension and contempt as she witnessed Weir treating others. Weir wasn't trying to impress anyone, so was just behaving as his usual self. He treated the agent traveling with him like a lowly servant as she ran back and forth from her economy class section to his first class seat to respond to his ongoing requests for service. He called his mom and spoke with such disdain towards her, my friend was appalled. When one of the flight attendants recognized him, Weir spoke to him with open disgust.

The only positive thing she relayed was her baggage got put back a section, so when they landed Weir told her to just push everyone aside and get it so she could exit the plane before anyone else. When she expressed discomfort with doing that, he did it for her by shoving everyone to the side of the aisle so she could get her bag. Then he told her that's how it's done, and exited the plane. So she did get off the plane quickly

That's Weir unvarnished, and I have to say I don't find that terribly lovable.

YMMV
    I see no reason not to believe you, as I've never thought of you as a liar on this forum. Sad to hear that Johnny behaved that way.
    "I hit him with my shoes... if he had given me the medal like I told him to, I wouldn't have had to hit him!" -- 8-year-old Rhoda Penmark in "The Bad Seed"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by spikydurian View Post
    Max does have nice dark eyebrows.
    Now that he's finally got them sorted and doesn't look like an orangutan any more, yes.

Quote Originally Posted by judiz View Post
    And just because your friend says she saw Weir behave in a certain way one day doesn't mean he's that way the other 364 days of the year. Why in the world do we expect celebrities or athletes or politicians to be perfect 365 days a year? Everyone has a bad day, everyone has a day they declare war on the world, to label someone based on one bad experience is really not fair. I know I wouldn't want someone to see my at my worse and assume that's me everyday.
    Decent people don't behave like that ever.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    Decent people don't behave like that ever.
    "I hit him with my shoes... if he had given me the medal like I told him to, I wouldn't have had to hit him!" -- 8-year-old Rhoda Penmark in "The Bad Seed"

vCash
    Weir is scheduled to perform at Philadelphia's first Winter Pride event and also will receive the first-annual Winter Pride Award at Penn's Landing on Friday, February 22 (event runs from 6-8 p.m.). Tickets are $20 (includes two hours of skating and skate rentals). For more information, visit http://www.phillypride.org
    Article: http://www.epgn.com/pages/editionals...ion_class=blue
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by manleywoman View Post
    Some things cannot be unseen.
    OMG, I wish I had never seen that. It is burned in my retinas and from now on that is how I will see him no matter what he is wearing. Hope he is not crazy enough to compete in that outfit. lol

vCash
    To be fair, I did read some unkind things about Michelle and Tara on bitterwaitress.com years ago before they went all Facebook. Apparently Kwanita had a diva fit over a meatloaf sandwich in a restaurant, and Tara was miffed at having to share a bathroom with people at a swank restaurant...our little ice princesses do have feet of clay sometimes. But Johnny is somewhat abrasive to me, so I am not as surprised at his diva behavior.

En el trabajo en mi obra maestra, "Bodegón de rosas, las toronjas y el Planetario", que se llevará algún tiempo.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex View Post
    To be fair, I did read some unkind things about Michelle and Tara on bitterwaitress.com years ago before they went all Facebook. Apparently Kwanita had a diva fit over a meatloaf sandwich in a restaurant, and Tara was miffed at having to share a bathroom with people at a swank restaurant...our little ice princesses do have feet of clay sometimes. But Johnny is somewhat abrasive to me, so I am not as surprised at his diva behavior.
    Kwanita would never order anything as unspeakable as a meatloaf sandwich...

(Jus que dingue. I have no idea what happened.)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by falling_dance View Post
    Kwanita would never order anything as unspeakable as a meatloaf sandwich...

(Jus que dingue. I have no idea what happened.)
    Oh, but she DID, gurl. Whoever she was dating at the time took her to some upscale LA diner and she ordered a meatloaf sandwich, deemed it too soggy and not only sent it back, but demanded a comp. They gave her a bananas foster for dessert, free of charge, but she was snarky for the rest of the evening and left without tipping, chile....with her Fendi bag dangling behind her...the way Margo Channing carried her fur coat...

En el trabajo en mi obra maestra, "Bodegón de rosas, las toronjas y el Planetario", que se llevará algún tiempo.
    vCash
    Oh, but she DID, gurl. Whoever she was dating at the time took her to some upscale LA diner and she ordered a meatloaf sandwich, deemed it too soggy and not only sent it back, but demanded a comp. They gave her a bananas foster for dessert, free of charge, but she was snarky for the rest of the evening and left without tipping, chile....with her Fendi bag dangling behind her...the way Margo Channing carried her fur coat...
    Like a good uber, I've decided that the story's author owns a worn-down trench coat and a funny hat. (ETA: Okay, not really.)
    Last edited by falling_dance; 02-16-2013 at 02:52 AM.

vCash
    Like a good uber, I've decided that the story's author owns a worn-down trench coat and a funny hat. (ETA: Okay, not really.)
    I hope a waitress doesn't wear a schmatta like that ...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judiz View Post
    And just because your friend says she saw Weir behave in a certain way one day doesn't mean he's that way the other 364 days of the year.
    And that doesn't mean that the report of how he behaved on that day is wrong.

Judiz, I know you are a big fan of Johnny's, but if anyone seems to be expecting him to be perfect 365 a days a year, it's you. it's a little troubling how you justify his actions or give an alternative explanation every time anything is posted about him that's even remotely negative. It's entirely possible that he does act badly on occasion and he does make bad decisions on occasion. That doesn't mean he's a bad person, or a lousy skater. But trying to portray him as 100% perfect, and blameless in every situation that he's involved in, just isn't realistic.
    Last edited by overedge; 02-16-2013 at 07:28 AM.
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

vCash
    There's nothing wrong with returning crap food and then not tipping.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    There's nothing wrong with returning crap food and then not tipping.
    There is if the waitress and restaurant did their best to make it right and gave a free dessert along with that.

vCash
    Like a good uber, falling_dance is there!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    Like a good uber, falling_dance is there!

Did someone mention uber?

BTW, I’d say the name of the website that exposed MK’s and Tara’s dining snitfits tells us more than the tattling does.

Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    And that doesn't mean that the report of how he behaved on that day is wrong…
    Doesn’t mean its right either, or left. IMO, it’s simply hearsay. Even when different people who happen to witness the same event or overhear the same conversation are interviewed, it is possible to receive a variety of conflicting accounts and impressions of what exactly happened or what was said and by whom, and what it might have meant. It doesn’t matter either whether the "reporter" who provided the salacious tidbits was sitting next to Johnny, across from him or down the aisle.

Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    Judiz, I know you are a big fan of Johnny's, but if anyone seems to be expecting him to be perfect 365 a days a year, it's you. it's a little troubling how you justify his actions or give an alternative explanation every time anything is posted about him that's even remotely negative. It's entirely possible that he does act badly on occasion and he does make bad decisions on occasion. That doesn't mean he's a bad person, or a lousy skater. But trying to portray him as 100% perfect, and blameless in every situation that he's involved in, just isn't realistic.
    If you find judiz’s innocuous comments troubling, you must have a high and unforgiving trouble-detecting threshold. ITA that we’re all human and we all behave badly on occasion, and some of us behave badly more than just on occasion. To read some of the perceptions here about Johnny tho,’ he seems to be quite often perceived and denigrated as such a reprehensible and irredeemable fame w**re. The truth about his character and motivations likely resides somewhere in the middle, again as it does for most human beings. Or maybe unlike most humans, the truth about Johnny might reside somewhere in outer space, similar to the planet named after him.

IMO, judiz is not necessarily trying to portray Johnny as 100% perfect, although that appears to be your perception of what she’s doing. My perception is that judiz is sharing her views of Johnny, as are we all. And as usual, we all have differing viewpoints, which again, does not make any of us right or wrong. "All truths are but half-truths; every truth is half-false; there are two sides to everything.” (The Kybalion)

Here’s a bit of apropos wisdom from a poster on Icenetwork.com:

People's views are like Apples and Oranges; prefer whichever you enjoy but remember they both are peeled.

And I would add: both peels can be digested, or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    I think one of the reasons Johnny tried to go back to skating is that of all his endeavours, skating is the only one where he's achieved anything and enjoyed any kind of success or real fame...
    Okay, but the bolded part is debatable. Real fame as opposed to what, not so real? Fame is fame, whether the degree of it is 24/7 fishbowl annoying, or a measly 15 minutes. Your above comments and your most recent post, Jenny, seem to be stated as a negative. Johnny has often referred to the fact that skating is his main talent, and it’s a pursuit to which he’s obviously devoted more than half his life. So, of course skating is where he’s made his name, and apparently skating remains for him a major focus and an important part of his life.

At a young age (as he describes in his bio), Johnny had to choose between continuing as a figure skater or as an equestrian; a tough decision because he was successful and precocious at both endeavors. As a matter of fact, I think Johnny has achieved success and at least a modicum of fame at a majority of the goals he’s set for himself. And, of course, his high profile as a skating athlete has helped make a lot of his opportunities possible. He likely would have succeeded in life even if he hadn’t chosen figure skating, but it seems he was fated to be a skater. At a young age, he’s already accomplished more than most people will in one lifetime.

In any case, maybe I'm missing something and wanting to be famous, successful, happy, and desiring to have one’s dreams fulfilled is some kind of crime. Then manacle him already! Or better yet, straitjacket him! Heh, heh, I think Adrian Schultheiss already has a claim to that particular bit of straitjacket fame, on-ice in Vancouver 2010.
    Last edited by aftershocks; 02-16-2013 at 11:51 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aftershocks View Post
    But lighten up guys, it was a Halloween costume party.
    Did Johnny win first prize for the best costume at the Halloween party?
    Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them. – Publilius Syrus

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast