Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

vCash

Ross Miner: "Being an Olympic hopeful, itís a lot of hard work"

Re-posting this article link from the U.S. Men's thread:
    Quote Originally Posted by YukiNieve View Post
    One of the top articles on MSN website this morning has the picture of Ross and the link to the article featuring him.

http://msn.foxsports.com/olympics/st...r-2010-020613?

Today marks one year until Sochi Olympic Games begins.
    I particularly like these quotes by Miner (bolded by me):
    For the United States Olympic Committee, itís the culmination of a decade-plus program of focusing more on Winter Olympic sports. For athletes such as Miner, itís the culmination of a life thatís been dedicated to his sport since he discovered figure skating at age 5 in Vermont and then moved with his family at age 12 to Boston to train with the best in the world.

ďOnce you get to competition, youíre cooked,Ē Miner said. ďYou just got to put it on the plate and send it out there.Ē

ďBeing an Olympic hopeful, itís a lot of hard work,Ē he said. ďThere are a lot of us out there, and at most three guys will make team. Everyoneís working their butt off to do it. Yes, Iíd love to make the Olympic team. Thatís definitely a goal of mine. But God forbid that not happen, Iíve achieved stuff Iíd never thought of.Ē
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isnít every four years, itís every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    I saw this article when I turned on my computer at work - it was on the front page of MSN. So glad that skating was featured prominently on a regular news page! Lord knows we need more skating promotion in the U.S.

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Yay Ross! He was one of the first kids I met when I worked at SCOB, and he's so nice. I can completely believe the schedule, too, even at Novice and Junior he was a hard worker. I'm cheering for him to make the team, but whatever happens I'm sure he'll be successful.

vCash
    I think Ross really is the next big thing in US Men FS.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by luenatic View Post
    I think Ross really is the next big thing in US Men FS.
    I hope so.. His presentation has improved year after year... softening those airplane arms he used to have... I don't think that is as natural to him as it is to Josh Farris.... I just hope both of them rise to the top of the podium

Quadless
    vCash
    Nice to see Ross getting some press, and great to see figure skating as a whole getting some focus in the mainstream media.
    "I miss footwork that has any kind of a discernible pattern. The goal of a step sequence should not be for a skater to show the same ice coverage as a Zamboni and take about as much time as an ice resurface. " ~ Zemgirl, reflecting on a pre-IJS straight line sequence

vCash
    Good luck to Ross. He's been improving every year. IMO, he's definitely one of those who have a shot to make it to the Olympic team.
    Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them. Ė Publilius Syrus

vCash
    I remember Ross from when he was much younger, hasn't hardly aged, and has gotten to be a great skater.

vCash
    Once you get to competition, you’re cooked, Miner said. You just got to put it on the plate and send it out there.
    Bon Appetit, Ross. You go, Boss!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BittyBug View Post
    Nice to see Ross getting some press, and great to see figure skating as a whole getting some focus in the mainstream media.
    Quote Originally Posted by spikydurian View Post
    Good luck to Ross. He's been improving every year. IMO, he's definitely one of those who have a shot to make it to the Olympic team.
    In a way, I'm glad that Ross has been somewhat "under the radar" (although I suspect that will change) It's been a pleasure to see him compete/try out his programs for the last few summers @ the Liberty Summer Competition in Aston, PA. Truly a gentleman, talented, and what I call "complete" (balanced) skater.

vCash
    He is just one of those skaters that is hard not to like. Everything about him seems so genuine and authentic and relaxed about himself. He just has to smile and you cheer for him.
    And yes I agree, some components don't look like they come easily to him, but it's very clear he works hard and is therefore trained and prepared every time he goes out. Can't help but respect that. All I wish now is that he invent a different arm flourish on a jump landing and I'd have nothing to nit pick about

I hope he has an awesome couple a skates in London.

vCash
    I sure hope being labeled an "Olympic hopeful" isn't unsettling him.
    "Marge, if you're going to get mad at me every time I do something stupid, then I guess I'm just going to have to stop doing stupid things!" - Homer Simpson in the Mr. Plow episode

vCash
    ^^ It appears to be more attributable to the short preparation time between the end of Nationals and the start of 4CC (not to mention travel time also taking away from opportunity to be in peak training shape). Under those circumstances, the U.S. guys didn't do too badly. A bit unfortunate though that Dornbush and Aaron were oh so close but didn't nab a medal.

Anyway a learning experience for them all -- can't have enough of those. And Ross, true to form, has put it all into perspective, based on his post-4CC comments (mentioned by Sylvia in FSU GSD U.S. Men's Thread), as quoted from Golden Skate's 4CC wrap-up:

USA’s Ross Miner remained in ninth place with 214.36 points. He slipped and fell on the entry of his quad Salchow and singled an Axel, but the rest of his program was solid as usual.

“I’m disappointed in myself,” said the U.S. silver medalist. “That’s not the way I train. It’s been a long couple of weeks since the U.S. Championships. I’m excited to get home and have a few days to mentally recuperate and get ready for the world championships.”

“I didn’t do what I came here to do or skate the programs the way I have been training at home,” the 22-year-old added. “It will put some fire in my belly to really improve and get rid of the errors that aren’t indicative of what I can do.”

I love Ross' honesty, his obvious enjoyment of figure skating, and his grounded outlook. He seems to be a sweet guy, very appealing and super cool.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aftershocks View Post

I love Ross' honesty, his obvious enjoyment of figure skating, and his grounded outlook. He seems to be a sweet guy, very appealing and super cool.
    He is, he is!

vCash
    Miner's also good about staying involved in the local skating community (like all the other SCOB skaters) and regularly puts in appearances at local shows. This hasn't changed, even after he started winning international medals, which says a lot about how grounded he is. He's actually going to be in a show at the Bay State Games this weekend in Williamstown, MA.

http://www.baystategames.org/winter-...e-skating-show

Am competing in the adult events the next day, so as long as my friend and I get there on time, will try to record the program =).

vCash
    Thanks paskatefan, and ioana! Ross is Boss! His teammates seem to love him too. It was cool the way Meryl & Charlie introduced Ross at the Nationals Exhibition Gala. I enjoy watching Ross' skating because he always seems to be enjoying himself so much. I look forward to seeing him continuing to grow as a skater. I like the way Ross and Max are being supportive of each other, and together I hope they are able to just do their best at Worlds. That's all that matters in the end.

Good to hear about Ross' involvement in the New England skating community, ioana. I anticipate hearing your reports about the Williamstown event this weekend. Good luck on your adult competition!

I really love all the Skating Club of Boston skaters, and I always enjoy seeing Mark and Peter in the kiss 'n cry. They seem to be such great coaches, not to mention sharp dressers and personable guys to be around.

I'm excited about Nationals taking place in Boston next year. It should be a blast. Go Team Boston! Go Team USA!

vCash
    You would love attending the Liberty Summer Competition if you could. In addition to watching the actual programs, we get such a kick out of watching the SCOB and UDEL skaters cheering wildly for their clubmates. It's quite entertaining in its own right, and so nice to see how supportive they are of each other. The cheering going on from these two clubs is almost like a competition in itself!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ioana View Post
    He's actually going to be in a show at the Bay State Games this weekend in Williamstown, MA.

http://www.baystategames.org/winter-...e-skating-show

Am competing in the adult events the next day, so as long as my friend and I get there on time, will try to record the program =).
    Did you make it, ioana?

This local Mass. article also mentioned Miner's appearance in the show: http://www.thetranscript.com/ci_2259...alive-and-well
    The annual Bay State Skate Show on Saturday night at Williams College's Lansing Chapman Rink will also feature U.S. silver medalist Ross Miner, who is headed to his second world championship next month. The event is the only part of the Games that requires a ticket, which is $10 and will be on sale at the rink on Friday and Saturday.

"We're excited about having Ross come out," Cummings said. "Over our 28-year history we've been fortunate to get some high-caliber skaters. I got to tell you, Ross is right in that echelon.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isnít every four years, itís every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Did you make it, ioana?
    We did! As a bonus, my friend did very well in her first competition ever -adult bronze the next day. Ross skated well and looked ready for Worlds. He did his Luck Be a Lady program that's been a staple around local exhibitions, but even though he only did 'easier' triples, they were of very good quality and covered lots of ice. Maybe by now his 3sal should count as popping a quad ? The gala had all the winners from ISI and USFSA events, so it was an interesting mix of skating skills. Also, a lot of skaters' families were already in Williamstown for the competitive events, so the rink was packed. Definitely one of the best attended local exhibitions that I've seen. Ross was signing badges, programs and posing for pictures left and right when we left -and seemed to enjoy the fame.
    Megan Wessenberg (her ice coverage and flow would be good for a senior and she competed as a novice this season) and Iris Zhao (tons of personality in a program from The Mask) were some of the other skaters that stood out as highlights.

vCash
    ^^
    Thanks so much for the report, ioana.

Quote Originally Posted by paskatefan View Post
    You would love attending the Liberty Summer Competition if you could. In addition to watching the actual programs, we get such a kick out of watching the SCOB and UDEL skaters cheering wildly for their clubmates. It's quite entertaining in its own right, and so nice to see how supportive they are of each other. The cheering going on from these two clubs is almost like a competition in itself!
    Sounds like a fun event, paskatefan. Is it held every year in the same or in different locations?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast