Page 50 of 52 FirstFirst ... 404849505152 LastLast
Results 981 to 1,000 of 1025

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Proustable View Post
    Thank-you. Sweet mother of Abraham Lincoln, the amount of playing down, straw men and other digressive attacks in this debate is ridiculous.
    Word.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

vCash
    Oh dear!

Anti-Russian propaganda?? So now we are the bad guys for speaking out against bigotry.

Make noise people! Make more noise!

vCash
    Russia Proposes "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" Olympics

http://www.advocate.com/politics/201...-tell-olympics

vCash
    So, are they admitting that gay athletes, spectators, and media who do something that calls attention to the fact that they are gay will be at risk? Can the nations/teams send their own security people? I don't think that Russia will do anything to anyone having to do with the Olympics. I think there will be way too much attention. But, what about visitors?

vCash
    How does Dont ask, Dont tell work when some of the athletes are already publically out? They can't exactly go back years and stay in the closet. And honestly I think many straight men's skaters are at risk. I mean most Americans, even those who are tolerant and supportive of gays, assume all figure skaters are gay. The men are all going to have to skate in blue jeans and loose fitting crew neck t shirts ("look straight" as if that is a thing...) to prevent assumptions from bigots.

vCash
    Will the judging of Men's skating be influenced by how gay or un-gay they are perceived to skate or be? Will the judging be even more political than ever?

I'm concerned about the safety of the skaters, officials, and spectators. I'm also concerned about the influence this will have on the judging.

vCash
    I'm concerned with the one or two (actually three) people on this thread who think every other person on this thread is wrong and we are just picking on Russia.
    I guess the hard thing for a lot of people to accept is why God would allow me to go running through their yards, yelling and spinning around.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by centerpt1 View Post
    Will the judging of Men's skating be influenced by how gay or un-gay they are perceived to skate or be? Will the judging be even more political than ever?

I'm concerned about the safety of the skaters, officials, and spectators. I'm also concerned about the influence this will have on the judging.
    I don't think it will have any effect on the judging, unless all of the judges are Russians who feel compelled to uphold the law. Which is not likely to happen.

(but I'm sure there will be other non-skating related factors that will influence the judging)
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    (but I'm sure there will be other non-skating related factors that will influence the judging)
    So, business as usual. I don't think it will effect judging either. However, it may effect performance.

vCash
    Although it appears that calls for a boycott of the Olympics aren't going anywhere, it is not too late for FIFA to re-think its decision to let Russia host the 2018 World Cup or Qatar, which makes homosexual acts punishable by up to five years in prison, host the 2022 World Cup.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    Although it appears that calls for a boycott of the Olympics aren't going anywhere, it is not too late for FIFA to re-think its decision to let Russia host the 2018 World or Qatar, which makes homosexual acts punishable by up to five years in prison, host the 2022 World Cup.
    Why don't US and UK just host their own two-country "Olympics" since there are not many countries could satisfy them? And they won't satisfy them anytime soon.
    Last edited by Eyre; 08-13-2013 at 05:25 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Eyre View Post
    Why don't US and UK just host their own two-country "Olympics" since there are not many countries could satisfy them? And they won't satisfy them anytime soon.
    I'm sorry, I can't bite my tongue any more. Your comments are just so offensive. You make light of a horrific situation. I truly hope one of your loved ones comes to you tomorrow and tells you they are gay. Actually, it wouldn't surprise me if you disowned them.
    I guess the hard thing for a lot of people to accept is why God would allow me to go running through their yards, yelling and spinning around.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozzisk8tr View Post
    I'm sorry, I can't bite my tongue any more. Your comments are just so offensive. You make light of a horrific situation. I truly hope one of your loved ones comes to you tomorrow and tells you they are gay. Actually, it wouldn't surprise me if you disowned them.
    I agree with Ozzisk8tr. The casual, flippant, careless manner in which you speak about this matter is quite disturbing.
    Last edited by dardar1126; 08-13-2013 at 06:32 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozzisk8tr View Post
    Pity them. How sad it must be to so emotionally disconnected.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    Although it appears that calls for a boycott of the Olympics aren't going anywhere, it is not too late for FIFA to re-think its decision to let Russia host the 2018 World Cup or Qatar, which makes homosexual acts punishable by up to five years in prison, host the 2022 World Cup.
    I second this. I don't want a boycott of the upcoming Olympics but other sports organizations could rethink future events to be hosted by Russia (and others with similar laws). The only way to this kind of hateful attitude toward a part of humanity is to hurt them financially.

aspiring tri-national
    vCash
    The debate rages everywhere. I subscribe to Glamour magazine although I've really aged out of their demographic. What can I say, I like fashion. They ran a positive article on marriage equality two months ago and got very negative mail from subscribers who disagree.

The point is, if you live in the U.S., what with the Supreme Court decisions and more and more states voting or considering marriage equality, you can get a false picture of where the issue is worldwide -- or even here, where a substantial number of people are appalled by how far equality has progressed. And it's an open question as to whether more progress would be made by NOT awarding major sporting events to homophobic countries, or award them and allow the influx of more liberal-minded foreigners to influence the homegrown attitudes.

All indications are that the more societies which repress women are exposed to more liberal attitudes, the better they get. (See, Afghanistan. That war may have been useless in the long term from a security perspective but no-one can deny that the Taliban have been pushed back in terms of social consciousness of women's rights.) I don't give a shit if I sound like a culturally imperialistic Westerner, I think some rights are immutable and have nothing to do with cultural relativism. I'm perfectly OK with proselytizing by any means necessary.

So, there's a legitimate argument about what sends the best message.
    "Youth and vigor is no match for age and deceit." -- Prancer

vCash
    http://americablog.com/2013/08/new-r...ICAblog+Gay%29

Oodles of Russian Olympic news today – it’s out of control, here’s a summary
    8/13/2013 8:30am by John Aravosis

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...medium=twitter

Canada to favour refugee claims by gay Russians
    DANIEL BITONTI AND CAMPBELL CLARK
    The Globe and Mail
    Published Monday, Aug. 12 2013, 10:40 PM EDT
    Last updated Monday, Aug. 12 2013, 10:50 PM EDT

vCash
    I'm dizzy with disappointment and resentment over this. I guess Russia should ban all works by Tchaikovsky, since he was "one of those".

vCash
    Those on the USA team who support gay rights should wear "We Support Gay Rights" buttons. Sex goes on in the Olympic Village (remember the brouhaha the year condoms were first provided). I wonder what will happen if a gay or lesbian couple are caught in the act.

vCash
    The Sochi scandal is just beginning
    http://www.salon.com/2013/08/13/the_...ust_beginning/
    Russia can make symbolic gestures, but it’s doubtful this will end the campaigns against Sochi’s corporate sponsors, particularly in the U.S., who may not want to be associated with intolerance and discrimination.
    Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Page 50 of 52 FirstFirst ... 404849505152 LastLast