Page 49 of 52 FirstFirst ... 394748495051 ... LastLast
    vCash
    http://www.lgbtqnation.com/2013/08/t...-anti-gay-law/

Thousands march at Glasgow Pride amid protests over Russia’s anti-gay law
    DAN LITTAUER | LGBTQ Nation
    Sunday, August 11, 2013

http://www.buzzfeed.com/hunterschwar...edium=buzzfeed

Someone Painted The Crosswalk Outside The Russian Embassy In Stockholm Rainbow Colors
    Two weeks after protests that included topless woman jumping the Russian embassy fence, the crosswalk outside the building have been painted rainbow colors.
    posted on August 11, 2013 at 10:48am EDT
    Hunter Schwarz - BuzzFeed Staff

vCash
    I wish we had Avatas. I could totally use this one: http://s3-ec.buzzfed.com/static/enha...76155822-0.jpg

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by caseyedwards View Post
    I think that article says Scott hamilton is gay.
    Yes, it does, but why did they leave off................

Johnny should skate to Somewhere over the Rainbow and wear a rainbow outfit. Does he plan on going as a spectator if he doesn't make the team? I haven't heard anything lately about how his training is going.
    Last edited by Iceman; 08-11-2013 at 11:07 PM.

aspiring tri-national
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dardar1126 View Post
    http://www.lgbtqnation.com/2013/08/t...-anti-gay-law/

Thousands march at Glasgow Pride amid protests over Russia’s anti-gay law
    DAN LITTAUER | LGBTQ Nation
    Sunday, August 11, 2013

http://www.buzzfeed.com/hunterschwar...edium=buzzfeed

Someone Painted The Crosswalk Outside The Russian Embassy In Stockholm Rainbow Colors
    Two weeks after protests that included topless woman jumping the Russian embassy fence, the crosswalk outside the building have been painted rainbow colors.
    posted on August 11, 2013 at 10:48am EDT
    Hunter Schwarz - BuzzFeed Staff
    It's behind a paywall but Ha'aretz covered a noisy demonstration against the Russian embassy in Tel Aviv, too. Considering that Israel has the largest Russian émigré population by percentage of overall population of any country outside the former Federation, that's going to be interesting.
    "Youth and vigor is no match for age and deceit." -- Prancer

vCash

Sochi Olympics will test gay rights

Quote Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
    Yes, it does, but why did they leave off................

Johnny should skate to Somewhere over the Rainbow and wear a rainbow outfit. Does he plan on going as a spectator if he doesn't make the team? I haven't heard anything lately about how his training is going.
    If Johnny doesn't make the team, I hope he gets to do commentary for NBC, I wouldn't be surprised if he is denied a visa to enter Russia because he is gay though.

vCash
    There seems to be an assumption here that JW is training to make the Olympic team. I have heard nothing out of Hackensack to indicate that he is in serious training right now - and if he isn't in training now, then one might draw the conclusion that he is not aiming toward another Olympic opportunity. He may indeed be in Sochi but perhaps in another capacity.
    Last edited by Willowway; 08-12-2013 at 05:32 AM.

vCash

Sochi Olympics will test gay rights

Quote Originally Posted by Willowway View Post
    There seems to be an assumption here that JW is training to make the Olympic team. I have heard nothing out of Hackensack to indicate that he is in serious training right now - and if he isn't in training now, then one might draw the conclusion that he is not aiming toward another Olympic opportunity. He may indeed be in Sochi but perhaps in another capacity.
    I would imagine if Johnny was planning on competing this season, he would already be entered in some competitions as he needs to qualify for nationals, correct?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judiz View Post
    I would imagine if Johnny was planning on competing this season, he would already be entered in some competitions as he needs to qualify for nationals, correct?
    The deadline to register for regionals and sectionals is Sept. 1, and the entries wouldn't be released until sometime after that.

Summer competitions would be good practice -- and probably necessary to get an international assignment -- but not part of the qualifying process itself.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozzisk8tr View Post
    From a lesbian journalist in Moscow. Imagine yourself in this woman's shoes.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentis...ay-laws-russia
    She does not work in Moscow, but lives in Czech republic... and she is the head Radio liberty, a US government funded radio station. The Gessen left Russia after the foreign agents law was passed, whereby any NGO or broadcaster receiving foreign money will have to register as a foreign agent. After Which, The whole Radio liberty was shifted to Prague...

When you have moved whole family to Prague, who does she expect Russia to snatch her children away ?, she should have said all of them in her article. I can't understand why Guardian decided to use Gessen, when they are other cases which they could have used.

vCash
    ROFL, an article in an israeli paper demanding to boycott the Sochi Olys. Unfortunately the author didn't name the list of the Israeli athletes who were supposed to participate....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Domshabfan View Post
    She does not work in Moscow, but lives in Czech republic... and she is the head Radio liberty, a US government funded radio station. The Gessen left Russia after the foreign agents law was passed, whereby any NGO or broadcaster receiving foreign money will have to register as a foreign agent. After Which, The whole Radio liberty was shifted to Prague...

When you have moved whole family to Prague, who does she expect Russia to snatch her children away ?, she should have said all of them in her article. I can't understand why Guardian decided to use Gessen, when they are other cases which they could have used.
    Because all these are just propaganda against Russia. It is already propaganda against Russia, it's not for gays...
    And you can notice, no one dealt with this article here. It's similar to some Russian events.. http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/07/op...-equality.html

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lala View Post
    Because all these are just propaganda against Russia. It is already propaganda against Russia, it's not for gays...
    Correct. The bottom line is hatred against the Russian Orthodox Christian Church, which some minorities (gays, Jews, etc.) see as the power behind the policies. This is a quandary for the Western media, who cannot totally report all details, lest it be seen as an anti-Christianity story. I'm hoping that it all dies down before the winter or it could get really ugly, unecessarily. We (western athletes, coaches & fans) are going to another country and culture; respect their preferences (religious, social, etc.) and JUST COMPETE.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugar View Post
    Johnny Weir: If I'm arrested in Russia, so be it video+article
    http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-202_162-...ssia-so-be-it/
    Johnny Weir is so brave and honurable. He shold be awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom with Distinction.

vCash
    http://www.towleroad.com/2013/08/for...yPermalink$%3E

08/12/2013
    FORMER NBA PLAYER JOHN AMAECHI CALLS ON SOCHI OLYMPIANS TO 'USE PODIUM AS A SOAP BOX'
    BY SEAN MANDELL

http://prospect.org/article/sticking...ake-difference

Sticking It to Sochi: Russian LGBT Activists on What Works
    NANCY GOLDSTEIN AUGUST 12, 2013
    Appeasement and rainbow pins won't stop Putin's witch hunt

http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2013/08/12...ssian-economy/

Exclusive: Brian Paddick: ‘Putin can ignore us unless we do things that hurt the Russian economy’
    by Scott Roberts
    12 August 2013, 1:24pm

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TAHbKA View Post
    ROFL, an article in an israeli paper demanding to boycott the Sochi Olys. Unfortunately the author didn't name the list of the Israeli athletes who were supposed to participate....
    Indeed ^_^,

I do get it though, Tel aviv is very diverse with lots of gays and russians among others, They just wanted to make some noise .

Lots of my friends went, Sadly i had to work,

I do try and encourage them to protest as opposed to boycott, Seeing they know how it feels when people try to boycott you ...

Quadless
    vCash
    And you can notice, no one dealt with this article here. It's similar to some Russian events.. http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/07/op...-equality.html
    Actually, when I originally posted the article I did point out that a difference is that in the U.S. there will actually be a criminal investigation and if the perpetrators are found, they will be charged with hate crimes. It wasn't always so in this country, but significant strides have been made over the past 50 years to provide a better foundation for justice. In contrast, Russia has just implemented laws that go in the opposite direction, and clearly make the LGBT community less than full citizens.

This is not propaganda against Russia, it's an outcry against a Russian law and the atmosphere for the LGBT community in Russia. Russia is in many ways a magnificent country, but unfortunately not for the LGBT community (or for justice as a whole, either).
    "I miss footwork that has any kind of a discernible pattern. The goal of a step sequence should not be for a skater to show the same ice coverage as a Zamboni and take about as much time as an ice resurface. " ~ Zemgirl, reflecting on a pre-IJS straight line sequence

vCash
    http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/12/wo...-the-west.html

Gays in Russia Find No Haven, Despite Support From the West
    By DAVID M. HERSZENHORN
    Published: August 11, 2013

Excerpt:

MOSCOW — If this article were published in a newspaper based in Russia, it could be labeled 18+ — like an X-rated movie — and start with the following disclaimer: “This article contains information not suitable for readers younger than 18 years of age, according to Russian legislation.”

Such warnings, put on any articles that discuss homosexuality or gay rights, are the result of a law nominally aimed at “protecting” children by banning “propaganda on nontraditional sexual relationships” but widely understood as an effort to suppress homosexuality and Russia’s fledgling gay rights movement.
    http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2013/08/12...nter-olympics/

Russia confirms that anti-gay laws will be enforced during Sochi Winter Olympics

by Joseph Patrick McCormick
    12 August 2013, 4:34pm

Excerpt:

The Interior Ministry in Russia has confirmed that recently introduced anti-gay legislation will remain in force during the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympics.

The ministry, which controls the country’s police force, confirmed on Monday that the law will in fact be enforced, despite some confusion over whether it would remain in place.
    EDIT:

Nobody seems to be on the same page...too many contradicting messages...via Twitter...

BBC News (World) ‏@BBCWorld 8m
    Gay athletes at #Sochi2014 winter Olympics won't face discrimination, insist officials quoted by Russian media http://bbc.in/16Gm9VW
    Last edited by dardar1126; 08-12-2013 at 07:04 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dardar1126 View Post
    http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/12/wo...-the-west.html

Gays in Russia Find No Haven, Despite Support From the West
    By DAVID M. HERSZENHORN
    Published: August 11, 2013

Excerpt:

http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2013/08/12...nter-olympics/

Russia confirms that anti-gay laws will be enforced during Sochi Winter Olympics

by Joseph Patrick McCormick
    12 August 2013, 4:34pm

Excerpt:

EDIT:

Nobody seems to be on the same page...too many contradicting messages...via Twitter...
    Both of those come from the same source! They are saying there will be no discrimination because the law doesn't discriminate.

vCash
    BittyBug already addressed this issue and I agree that the two situations are hardly comparable. Also, Russia is hosting the Olympics, which means that they are in the spotlight more so than other countries, even ones where things are very bad for LGBT people, such as Jamaica and many African and Middle Eastern countries.

But since you are very concerned about the USA being just the same, let me tell you about my own, limited experience with homophobic legislation. In 1992, I was a teenager living in Oregon when Measure 9 went on the ballot during that year's election. Measure 9 was hateful, and was similar in many ways to the law that was passed in Russia more recently. I was certainly in no position to vote on it, being neither American nor old enough, but I can tell you that I was very happy when it was defeated, as were quite a few of my friends. We may not have had gay friends yet, or at least, none that we knew of, but we knew that gay people deserved fairness and equal rights.

This was over twenty years ago. Oregon survived unscathed. No straight kids were tempted to become gay. I'd like to think that today this measure would have been defeated far more resoundingly, and I hope that Oregon will soon join the states that have legalized marriage equality.

Russia's law is worse than the ballot measure that was defeated easily more than two decades ago. People need to stop defending this legislation and to stop making excuses for it, and to realize that if you love Russia, you should want it to be better, not more bigoted and oppressive. And yes, the US has its own issues with gay rights, and there is still anti-gay violence and bullying. The difference is that in the US, these are seen as things to eradicate, not encourage. The murderers of Brandon Teena and Matthew Shepard, to name two famous cases, were brought to justice. Politicians, sports stars and celebrities make videos against bullying. Does Russia care about the victims of anti-gay violence? Does it care about the well-being of LGBT kids? It doesn't look like it does.

Quote Originally Posted by BittyBug View Post
    Actually, when I originally posted the article I did point out that a difference is that in the U.S. there will actually be a criminal investigation and if the perpetrators are found, they will be charged with hate crimes. It wasn't always so in this country, but significant strides have been made over the past 50 years to provide a better foundation for justice. In contrast, Russia has just implemented laws that go in the opposite direction, and clearly make the LGBT community less than full citizens.

This is not propaganda against Russia, it's an outcry against a Russian law and the atmosphere for the LGBT community in Russia. Russia is in many ways a magnificent country, but unfortunately not for the LGBT community (or for justice as a whole, either).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Zemgirl View Post
    BittyBug already addressed this issue and I agree that the two situations are hardly comparable. Also, Russia is hosting the Olympics, which means that they are in the spotlight more so than other countries, even ones where things are very bad for LGBT people, such as Jamaica and many African and Middle Eastern countries.

But since you are very concerned about the USA being just the same, let me tell you about my own, limited experience with homophobic legislation. In 1992, I was a teenager living in Oregon when Measure 9 went on the ballot during that year's election. Measure 9 was hateful, and was similar in many ways to the law that was passed in Russia more recently. I was certainly in no position to vote on it, being neither American nor old enough, but I can tell you that I was very happy when it was defeated, as were quite a few of my friends. We may not have had gay friends yet, or at least, none that we knew of, but we knew that gay people deserved fairness and equal rights.

This was over twenty years ago. Oregon survived unscathed. No straight kids were tempted to become gay. I'd like to think that today this measure would have been defeated far more resoundingly, and I hope that Oregon will soon join the states that have legalized marriage equality.

Russia's law is worse than the ballot measure that was defeated easily more than two decades ago. People need to stop defending this legislation and to stop making excuses for it, and to realize that if you love Russia, you should want it to be better, not more bigoted and oppressive. And yes, the US has its own issues with gay rights, and there is still anti-gay violence and bullying. The difference is that in the US, these are seen as things to eradicate, not encourage. The murderers of Brandon Teena and Matthew Shepard, to name two famous cases, were brought to justice. Politicians, sports stars and celebrities make videos against bullying. Does Russia care about the victims of anti-gay violence? Does it care about the well-being of LGBT kids? It doesn't look like it does.
    Thank-you. Sweet mother of Abraham Lincoln, the amount of playing down, straw men and other digressive attacks in this debate is ridiculous.

Page 49 of 52 FirstFirst ... 394748495051 ... LastLast