Page 48 of 52 FirstFirst ... 384647484950 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Twitter:

PinkNews ‏@pinknews 44m
    Photos: Hundreds of Londoners straight and gay protest against Russia's anti-gay laws http://p.ink.cx/11U2bHf
    EDIT:

http://www.washingtonblade.com/2013/...down-advocacy/

Russian activist: Gay crackdown seeks to ‘shut down’ advocacy
    August 9, 2013
    By Michael K. Lavers on August 9, 2013

Excerpt:

A member of a Russian LGBT rights group that was fined under the country’s “foreign agent” law said on Friday the ongoing gay crack down in Russia seeks to “shut down any kind of possibility for LGBT advocacy.”
    “These laws are aimed at driving LGBT people back into silence, back underground, back to the invisibility,” Polina Andrianova of Coming Out, a St. Petersburg-based advocacy group, told the Washington Blade. “That’s the whole point of them.”

Andrianova spoke to the Blade from St. Petersburg after an appellate judge in the city on July 25 overturned a lower court’s ruling that fined Coming Out 500,000 rubles or slightly more than $15,000 for violating a 2012 law that requires groups that receive funding from outside Russia to register as a “foreign agent.”

“We were extremely surprised the appeal judge actually dismissed the decision of the lower court and sent our case back for trial,” she said. “Even though it’s clear we’re not guilty of anything, we did not expect that.”
    Last edited by dardar1126; 08-10-2013 at 04:53 PM.

vCash
    Russia is shooting itself in the foot by bringing up this issue when they really should be focusing on what their country offers the world at the Sochi Olympics. What a shame that it's the first time they get to host the winter Olympics and they are ruining the opportunity to showcase the positives in their country.

On another note, if I were LGBT, I would seek asylum in a more liberal country. It's not like 100% of the people there would support me but at least the law would be on my side.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    Russia is shooting itself in the foot by bringing up this issue when they really should be focusing on what their country offers the world at the Sochi Olympics. What a shame that it's the first time they get to host the winter Olympics and they are ruining the opportunity to showcase the positives in their country.

On another note, if I were LGBT, I would seek asylum in a more liberal country. It's not like 100% of the people there would support me but at least the law would be on my side.
    There was probably always going to be something controversial going on. It's Russia not Norway! Lol. Without this there is also snowden, pussy riot, magnitsky, koderovsky, Georgia, Syria, etc

vCash
    Johnny Weir: If I'm arrested in Russia, so be it video+article
    http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-202_162-...ssia-so-be-it/
    Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm - Ralph Waldo Emerson

vCash
    Double post

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugar View Post
    Well, that statement is just foolish.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugar View Post
    It would be best for Mr Weir to concentrate on training to earn a spot on the Olympic Team. Press interviews do little to help that goal. If not, he might need to go as a spectator.
    Morry Stillwell

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Morry Stillwell View Post
    It would be best for Mr Weir to concentrate on training to earn a spot on the Olympic Team. Press interviews do little to help that goal..
    I'm not sure that any amount of training is going to make any difference in this specific instance.

vCash
    http://thenewcivilrightsmovement.com...13/08/10/72922

Gay People’s Hearts ‘Unsuitable’ For Life Says Head Of Russia’s State-Controlled TV News
    by DAVID BADASH on AUGUST 10, 2013

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/wes-hu...usaolp00000003

Growing Up Gay in Russia
    Wes Hurley - Filmmaker, 'Waxie Moon' and 'Fallen Jewel'
    Posted: 08/10/2013 9:28 am

(long read)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Morry Stillwell View Post
    It would be best for Mr Weir to concentrate on training to earn a spot on the Olympic Team. Press interviews do little to help that goal. If not, he might need to go as a spectator.
    Better cash in while the 15min fame lasts.
    Last edited by Eyre; 08-11-2013 at 06:15 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dardar1126 View Post

Gay People’s Hearts ‘Unsuitable’ For Life Says Head Of Russia’s State-Controlled TV News

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/wes-hu...usaolp00000003

Growing Up Gay in Russia
    Wes Hurley - Filmmaker, 'Waxie Moon' and 'Fallen Jewel'
    Posted: 08/10/2013 9:28 am

(long read)

It's like watching a trainwreck!

The anti-gay wave is slowly turning dangerous. It's like the stars are lining up for some horrible event to take place.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dardar1126 View Post

Goodness me.

This was ... chilling.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    So would i, But they shouldn't have to.

I think choreographers should give their skaters "Gender bending" programs this season,
    Dress the guys like girls and the girls like guys, Skate to show tunes and Eurovision hits ^_^

vCash
    by the way: is there any serious plan of johnny weir to compete this season and try to qualify for sochi?
    he isn't even on the us team envelope, not even on the reserve team. how will he get the tes minimum score? any international assignments of him until now?
    and he has to qualify for us championships too, or?

i was willing to believe in the seriousness of his comeback plans last year as he was entered in finlandia trophy. but his pull-out and end of this season, i doubt it very much.

but my fingers are crossed, cause he had great programs 2010 which were quite underrated.

vCash
    I don't think there are such plans, But the people\news don't really understand figure skating,
    And Johnny fits into the narrative right now

In a news cast here they even portrayd him as "Olympic Champion" ... So ...

vCash
    From a lesbian journalist in Moscow. Imagine yourself in this woman's shoes.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentis...ay-laws-russia
    I guess the hard thing for a lot of people to accept is why God would allow me to go running through their yards, yelling and spinning around.

vCash
    let's just quote Dadar's article:

"I think that just imposing fines on gays for homosexual propaganda among teenagers is not enough. They should be banned from donating blood, sperm. And their hearts, in case of automobile accident, should be buried in the ground or burned as unsuitable for the continuation of life."

Quote Originally Posted by Ozzisk8tr View Post
    From a lesbian journalist in Moscow. Imagine yourself in this woman's shoes.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentis...ay-laws-russia
    "In March, the St Petersburg legislator who had become a spokesman for the law started mentioning me and my "perverted family" in his interviews. I contacted an adoption lawyer asking whether I had reason to worry that social services would go after my family and attempt to remove my oldest son, whom I adopted in 2000. The lawyer wrote back telling me to instruct my son to run if he is approached by strangers and concluding: "The answer to your question is at the airport."

Yikes! I hope she moves because it's pretty obvious shell be targeted.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeschke View Post
    by the way: is there any serious plan of johnny weir to compete this season and try to qualify for sochi?
    he isn't even on the us team envelope, not even on the reserve team. how will he get the tes minimum score? any international assignments of him until now?
    and he has to qualify for us championships too, or?
    Weir attained the Olympic minimum scores at 2012 Finlandia Trophy. He is listed in USFS' International Selection Pool (ISP) for this season, but other men who have already competed this summer are likely ahead of him for any Senior B assignments. Weir have to qualify this fall for 2014 Nationals if he wants to be considered for Sochi.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dots View Post
    let's just quote Dadar's article:

"I think that just imposing fines on gays for homosexual propaganda among teenagers is not enough. They should be banned from donating blood, sperm. And their hearts, in case of automobile accident, should be buried in the ground or burned as unsuitable for the continuation of life."

"In March, the St Petersburg legislator who had become a spokesman for the law started mentioning me and my "perverted family" in his interviews. I contacted an adoption lawyer asking whether I had reason to worry that social services would go after my family and attempt to remove my oldest son, whom I adopted in 2000. The lawyer wrote back telling me to instruct my son to run if he is approached by strangers and concluding: "The answer to your question is at the airport."

Yikes! I hope she moves because it's pretty obvious shell be targeted.
    She has the papers to move to New York.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Loves_Shizuka View Post
    Goodness me.

This was ... chilling.
    Indeed. This whole issue has quickly gone from upsetting to downright sickening.

Putin (and his supporters) have no intention of backing down. In terms of those going to Sochi (both LGBTs and straights), I am frightened for their safety. This is not going to just go away.
    "I hit him with my shoes... if he had given me the medal like I told him to, I wouldn't have had to hit him!" -- 8-year-old Rhoda Penmark in "The Bad Seed"

Page 48 of 52 FirstFirst ... 384647484950 ... LastLast