Page 39 of 52 FirstFirst ... 29373839404149 ... LastLast
    vCash
    I think if the IOC ever seriously thought there was a good chance something might happen to the athletes somewhere, they'd probably break out the heavy-arm tactics. I don't know if they have any protocols in place, but when Russia's effectively violating Olympic principles threatening gay athletes, I'm sure they can call them on that or at least threaten to.
    In this case, though, I think they've figured Putin simply will not allow the kind of backlash that would come from going after one of the athletes.
    Which is a pity, because I think the only thing that would really work is if they figured out a way to declare Russia had forfeited the right to host and then to move the games(the former should now be easy if they ever really want to do it, but the latter of course...). Way too many of these Russian politicians would probably love if the US didn't come; more medals for their athletes. Putin would know better, but I can't help but think he's smart enough to ultimately turn a boycott to his own advantage.

vCash

Sochi Olympics will test gay rights

I wouldn't be surprised if the IOC tells all the athletes and coaches they are only allowed to leave the Olympic Village for events and training and only by official IOC vehicles. Anyone who breaks that rule will do so at their own risk.

AYS's snark-sponge
    vCash
    I've been struggling with this myself as my first reaction is aaack don't mess with the Olympics! I want to be able to just enjoy them and I want all the athletes to be able to compete without distraction.

But that ship has sailed.

I'm creeped out by all the comments in this thread about how the rest of the world can do nothing about what happens internally in another country. I want the Olympics to go ahead without distraction from this situation, but I'm not going to tell anyone the best they can do is turn a blind eye to what is going on in other countries just so my enjoyment won't be spoiled.

I don't know what effective actions can be taken outside of Russia against the anti-gay laws and the social atmosphere that is hostile to gays. But I can't accept that silence is the answer.

(And 1) I think the comparisons with Nazi Germany as always are unhelpful, at best. 2) I wish there were international movements against unjust U.S. laws to put pressure on us! This isn't an either/or situation!)
    Congratulations 2014 World Ice Dance Champions Anna Cappellini & Luca Lanotte!!!

vCash
    Way too many of these Russian politicians would probably love if the US didn't come; more medals for their athletes.
    If US chose not to go to Sochi on grounds of human rights violation by Russia, I suspect Canada would do the same? Most likely yes. And I have to wonder how other countries that are strongly committed to protecting minority rights could justify their decision to not boycott the Olympics. I'm thinking of Belgium, France, UK, Spain, Netherlands, Denmark or Sweden - just to name a few - where even same-sex marriage is legal.
    Last edited by VarBar; 08-05-2013 at 01:46 PM.

vCash
    Twitter:

The Progressive Mag ‏@theprogressive 12m
    LGBT Boycott of Olympics? Is it better to boycott Russia for its repressiveness, or wave a thousand rainbow flags? http://goo.gl/quExmR
    EDIT: Opinion by longtime gay rights activist...

http://www.davidmixner.com/2013/08/s...pics.html#more

Should The United States Boycott The Sochi Olympics?

Aug 5 2013

The simple answer is a very strong 'no'.

While the behavior of the Russian government, Putin and Putin punks are abhorrent, nothing will be changed by boycotting the Sochi Winter Games. In fact, those who are appalled by the treatment of LGBT Russian citizens will lose an incredible opportunity for the world to show their disgust.

The reasons America shouldn't boycott the games are very powerful:

Last edited by dardar1126; 08-05-2013 at 03:45 PM.

vCash
    How surprised would we all be if the athletes got to Sochi, and concentrated on their athletic performance, rather than whether they could kiss in public?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Polymer Bob View Post
    How surprised would we all be if the athletes got to Sochi, and concentrated on their athletic performance, rather than whether they could kiss in public?
    Or they could focus on their performance and then kiss if it goes well. And of course, being an athlete does not mean you have no other interests and concerns.

From the stories told about what goes on in the Olympic village, I doubt that every Olympian focuses exclusively on their performance in competition.

vCash
    Well considering the amount of fluff pieces that the big-named athletes have detailing their real life training that tends to always give some information about their personal life, and the way cameras will close in on the significant others of an athlete, if they have one, it's not as if showing some part of an athlete's romantic life (if he or she decides to share that) is a novel approach to humanize them to television audiences. People just don't usually think about it because we tend to take heterosexual displays of affection (minor ones at least) for granted and it's become such a normal part of one's "package."

And as Zemgirl said, it's not as if the event is the only thing on many athlete's mind. They go for the whole experience and festivities as well.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Zemgirl View Post

From the stories told about what goes on in the Olympic village, I doubt that every Olympian focuses exclusively on their performance in competition.
    Kids will be kids.
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judiz View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if the IOC tells all the athletes and coaches they are only allowed to leave the Olympic Village for events and training and only by official IOC vehicles. Anyone who breaks that rule will do so at their own risk.
    I, for one, would be shocked if either of these things happened as either of you describe, though, yes, I expect athletes will concentrate more on competing than demonstrating.

The Olympic Games are not just an occasion for athletes to live up to the Olympic motto, Citius, Altius, Fortius, but also to promote understanding and fellowship among the people of all nations. Getting out of the Olympic Village and meeting local residents and people who have come to Sochi from other parts of Russia and from other countries is very much part of the Olympic experience. To suppose that a competitor in one of the earlier events, such as Men's Singles Luge or *ahem* the Figure Skating Team Competition should sit around the Olympic Village for a week and a half after his event concludes is not only unrealistic, it is contrary to everything for which the Olympics stand.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    How surprised would we all be if the athletes got to Sochi, and concentrated on their athletic performance...
    Why would anyone be surprised if a competitive athlete were to focus on...athletics??

...rather than whether they could kiss in public?
    When has an athlete ever placed who they could kiss over their athletic performance??

Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    I, for one, would be shocked if either of these things happened as either of you describe, though, yes, I expect athletes will concentrate more on competing than demonstrating.
    What a bold prediction....
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

vCash
    I had a dream last night that giraffeKulik, cookie monster, and myself hung 100 pride flags around the arena before the men's freeskate. Then Lenin zombies came out of the ice and shot us.

vCash
    Twitter:

PinkNews ‏@pinknews 28m
    Sir Ian McKellen shows his solidarity with LGBT Russians http://p.ink.cx/14uEsBp

vCash
    Vancouver 2014? Petition wants to move Sochi Olympics to Canada
    http://metronews.ca/news/vancouver/7...ics-to-canada/
    Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm - Ralph Waldo Emerson

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugar View Post
    Vancouver 2014? Petition wants to move Sochi Olympics to Canada
    http://metronews.ca/news/vancouver/7...ics-to-canada/
    That won't solve a whole lot -- and I doubt the people of Vancouver really want that all again so soon!
    Haunting the Princess of Pink since 20/07/11...

vCash
    Plus which, some of the facilities might not be available. E.g. the speed skating oval in Richmond no longer has the equipment/facilities for long-track speed skating IIRC.
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    It's become a community recreation center:

http://richmondoval.ca/participate/ice-schedule.htm

I don't know if the two Olympic-sized rinks are permanent. Same for the ice rink at the former Curling venue, the Hillcrest Centre:

http://vancouver.ca/parks-recreation...st-centre.aspx

not to mention that it's also got an aquatics center:

http://vancouver.ca/parks-recreation...ic-centre.aspx

(ETA: I bet the food at the Blue Parrot Cafe is better than the food they offered at the Olympics.)

If a substitute Olympics were going to be held in Canada, I'm sure the speed skaters would prefer Calgary. Their times were in the toilet at the crunch, sea-level ice in Richmond.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Twitter:

Benjamin Cohen ‏@benjamincohen 1h
    This can't go on. Russian MP calls for law allowing gays to be whipped in public squares http://p.ink.cx/11OFKi9

vCash
    That is sick. What has happened to Russia that they are allowing their human rights policies to revert so badly?

AYS's snark-sponge
    vCash
    I think something like this might be a good way to go, though its up to the athletes.

Striking Olympic Gold--Frank Bruni (New York Times)
    Congratulations 2014 World Ice Dance Champions Anna Cappellini & Luca Lanotte!!!

Page 39 of 52 FirstFirst ... 29373839404149 ... LastLast