Page 36 of 52 FirstFirst ... 26343536373846 ... LastLast

vCash
    Thank you PRlady.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

vCash
    http://www.towleroad.com/2013/08/tra...yPermalink$%3E

08/03/2013

TRAVEL ICON ARTHUR FROMMER CONDEMNS RUSSIA'S ANTI-GAY LAW, TELLS TOURISM INDUSTRY TO TAKE ACTION

BY ANDY TOWLE

Excerpt:

84-year-old travel guide icon Arthur Frommer has written a lengthy condemnation of Russia's anti-gay laws, alerting his readers to the oppressive laws harming gay people in that country and advising travelers and the tourism industry to take "appropriate action."

Writes Frommer in a blog post: Frommer

Several gay authors of Frommer travel guides have already informed me that they will no longer risk travel to Russia as long as the "pro-gay propaganda" statute is in effect. Some among them are calling for a broader boycott of all travel to Russia by all Americans, gay or not, as a protest against this denial of human rights. They refer not only to the new legislation, but to several recent incidents of physical assaults by prejudiced young Russians against gay persons, none of which seemed to interest Russian police. And of course, officials and athletes preparing to participate in the winter Olympics are seriously concerned.

In the words of another Frommer author: "The new Russian law is extremely dangerous, borne of dark nationalism, and through its virulent ignorance, the stage is set for a witch hunt. History has shown only too clearly what can happen when a government provides for the systematic silencing and disenfranchisement of an unpopular minority".

vCash
    Today is the International Day of Protest against Russia's anti-gay laws. There is a rally in Toronto tonight at 7:30 pm, starting at Church & Wellesley and ending at the Russian consulate at Church & Bloor. Join us if you're in Toronto or the Greater Toronto Area!

https://www.facebook.com/events/577129392337409/

vCash
    http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-202_162-...aws/?tag=socsh

By BRIAN MONTOPOLI / CBS NEWS/ August 1, 2013, 11:27 AM

Gay Olympic hopeful plans to defy anti-gay Russian laws

HTTP://WWW.BLAKESKJELLERUP.COM

Excerpt:

Openly gay speed skater Blake Skjellerup, who is hoping to represent New Zealand at the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi, Russia, said Wednesday that he is unwilling to play down his sexuality in light of Russia's anti-gay laws.

"I'm going to do my best to be in Russia," Skjellerup told CBSNews.com. "If I'm stopped at the border, I'm stopped at the border. My presence there is going to be important for me and important for the community and I guess we're just going to have to wait and see."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jtpc View Post
    Today is the International Day of Protest against Russia's anti-gay laws. There is a rally in Toronto tonight at 7:30 pm, starting at Church & Wellesley and ending at the Russian consulate at Church & Bloor. Join us if you're in Toronto or the Greater Toronto Area!

https://www.facebook.com/events/577129392337409/
    And this from Vancouver...via Twitter:

Towleroad ‏@tlrd 10m
    Canadian Olympians to March in Vancouver LGBT Pride Parade in Sochi Solidarity Statement http://bit.ly/15CLz7u
    Excerpt:

Canadian alpine skier Mike Janyk and snowboarder Mercedes Nicoll, who were on the Canadian Olympic team in 2006 and 2010 will march in this weekend's Vancouver Pride Parade to make a statement of solidarity with the LGBT community against Russia's anti-gay laws, Reuters reports:

"Seeing what's going on in Russia it does feel really cool to at least stand up and hopefully have a few people take notice of that," Janyk told Reuters. "The opportunity came up to go in the Pride parade as an Olympian and I thought, oh that's a great idea and then all this other stuff came up and it is even more important now."

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    A call for journalists to cover the issue vigorously and something for the athletes to wear in support of equality, although not specifically defined:

Whatever the International Olympic Committee and national Olympic committees rule, athletes should wear outfits proclaiming their support for tolerance. They are, after all, very much into sex -- whatever preference. Organizers of the 2010 Vancouver Olympics ran through their supply of condoms.
    http://www.seattlepi.com/local/conne...cs-4704294.php
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ks1227 View Post
    Oh, please. So any criticism of actions taken by the Russian government is part of an anti-Russian ideology on the part of USA? They can do no wrong worth criticizing? You are truly a tool. And possibly a homophobic tool at that.
    The law is wrong and because of NBCs coverage of Russia and Russians before in the Olympics they will likely be very aggressive in covering it during the olympics. Maybe they would do it If it was another country but people are saying NBC will whitewash and never mention anything human rights oriented during the coverage but the coverage of Russia and Russian athletes has always been pretty brutal! Russia and russian athletes have been treated differently by NBC than other countries. I don't see how its homophobic to point this out? It's not like the law is right and NBC will unjustifiably say it is bad because of hatred of Russians it will point out it's bad because it's coverage of Russians and Russia during the Olympics has always been sharp and antagonistic but you could argue rightfully antagonistic too.

Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    Well, if there were that many writers "declaring" that, maybe you could link to a few of those too.
    Another example
    http://nymag.com/daily/sports/2010/0...of_the_me.html

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/elise-..._b_467839.html
    Last edited by caseyedwards; 08-03-2013 at 09:41 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Zemgirl View Post
    I think caseyedwards is making two claims: one is that US coverage of Russian athletes and Olympians often paints them in a very unflattering way and relies too much on recycled cold-war framing. This is true in some cases - certainly it has been at times in Plushenko's case, though he seemed to enjoy playing along - and there was a lot of anti-Plushenko sentiment in the weeks leading up to the Vancouver Olympics, including, BTW, from Speedy.

Her second argument seems to be that any on-air criticism of Russia's current anti-gay policies would be motivated by hatred for the Russian people, and with this, I very strongly disagree. The current treatment of LGBT people in Russia is disgusting and would deserve condemnation if it were happening elsewhere, too. Things are actually worse in some countries, but not in any that are hosting the Olympics or will do so in the foreseeable future.
    The point is that NBC never in any way is flattering about Russia or Russian athletes and there's no reason to think it won't be aggressive in covering the gay propaganda law and seeks to be an infomercial for Russia and whitewash and be propaganda for Russia. It never is! Whatever the reason. I said before it could be to create more drama. Here is drama they don even have to create and they will use it that's just the way they cover the county and it's athletes.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by caseyedwards View Post
    The law is wrong and because of NBCs coverage of Russia and Russians before in the Olympics they will likely be very aggressive in covering it during the olympics. Maybe they would do it If it was another country but people are saying NBC will whitewash and never mention anything human rights oriented during the coverage but the coverage of Russia and Russian athletes has always been pretty brutal! Russia and russian athletes have been treated differently by NBC than other countries. I don't see how its homophobic to point this out? It's not like the law is right and NBC will unjustifiably say it is bad because of hatred of Russians it will point out it's bad because it's coverage of Russians and Russia during the Olympics has always been sharp and antagonistic but you could argue rightfully antagonistic too.
    Well, I appreciate your specifying that you think the law is bad and I take back the homophobia language, which was obviously unwarranted. That said, I think your tendency to dismiss criticism of Russia as routine Russia-bashing is somewhat over the top.

vCash
    What is happening in Russia has been all over CNN and ABC, both have done stories and spoke to gay athletes hoping to compete in Sochi about their opinions on boycotting the games. It would be nice though if an athlete who is straight or not "out" would comment as well.

http://newsroom.blogs.cnn.com/2013/0...-anti-gay-law/

Olympians jeer Russia's anti-gay law
    newsroom.blogs.cnn.com
    CNN's Victor Blackwell and Brianna Keilar talk with Olympic athletes Johnny Weir and Blake Skjellerup about Russia's anti-gay law....

http://abcnews.go.com/WNT/video/russ...games-19846277

Video: Russia Warns Gay Athletes at Olympics Could Be Arrested
    Russian Sports Minister Vitaly Mutko says athletes will be arrested if they violate anti-gay laws.

vCash
    I'm not sure what to think about all this. Russia wants to regain the position of authority in the world the old USSR had but it has a long way to go. At the same time the government is doing what authoritarian governments all over the world do in order to solidify their hold on to power, and that is to implement popularous policies in order to play up to the lowest common denominator in society. However these policies do not necessarily play well internationally and damage their reputation internationally. The worse thing for Russia is for an athlete to actually get arrested. The resulting uproar will be a PR nightmare for them.

vCash
    http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/02/sp....html?src=recg

Russia’s minister of sports, Vitaly L. Mutko, said on Thursday that foreign athletes traveling to Russia for the 2014 Olympics in Sochi would be expected to obey a new Russian law banning “homosexual propaganda” or face criminal prosecution. In comments made to the state news agency R-Sport, Mutko said that gay athletes were welcome to attend the Games, but insisted that under the new law no athlete or visitor could advocate a “nontraditional” sexual orientation.
    What does it mean to "advocate" I wonder?

vCash
    Russia and russian athletes have been treated differently by NBC than other countries. I don't see how its homophobic to point this out?
    It's not homophobic. But it's wrong. Pretty much any sports broadcaster going outside its own country relies on stereotypes of the host country, or of the competitors.

And as for your links - there are all the "writers" that called NBC anti-Russian? - the first one is a sarcastic commentary, and the second link doesn't work.
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

vCash
    http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2013/08/03...e-is-horrific/

Olympic Gold medalist Matthew Mitcham: Russia’s treatment of gay people is horrific
    by James Park
    3 August 2013, 7:16pm

Excerpt:

Today, diver Matthew Mitcham said: “”It’s really sad, the way they are persecuting people in Russia is quite horrific.”

He added: “The Olympics is the best experience you will ever have as an athlete,” he said. “Their whole memory and experience is going to be marred by this stuff. They are going to be made to feel unacceptable, inappropriate, and it is a really awful, awful feeling.

“The Olympics are supposed to be somewhere where they can go to be relieved of that feeling.

“A place where you can compete and feel that gender and sexuality is not an issue.”

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    It's not homophobic. But it's wrong. Pretty much any sports broadcaster going outside its own country relies on stereotypes of the host country, or of the competitors.

And as for your links - there are all the "writers" that called NBC anti-Russian? - the first one is a sarcastic commentary, and the second link doesn't work.
    Lol you ask I give a link a you say no. Whatever. Two more writers who characterize NBC one way is not enough? There are no articles like this for any other countries athletes at all. I am now up to three writers how many do you want 20?

The point is still NBC will not whitewash Russia as it doesn't even treat the athletes like it does other countries.

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PRlady View Post
    The world, or most of it, has regretted its collaboration with Hitler's Olympics for 80 years. Despite Jesse Owens the participation in that propaganda fest legitimized the Nazi regime and its vehement anti-Semitism.

I think a boycott by the athletes should be considered. Its a human right issue, and treating it that way might also aid the democratic opposition on Russia.
    I completely disagree. Jesse Owens winning four gold medals and raining on Hitler's parade is what the Berlin Olympics is remembered for. That wouldn't have happened if there had been a boycott and it sent a much stronger message.

A boycott of the Berlin Olympics would not have stopped the holocaust or World War 2. The US boycott of the Moscow Olympics did not stop the war in Afghanistan and the Soviet boycott of the 1984 Olympics didn't achieve whatever it was supposed to do either.

Unfortunately, change in Russia's laws and attitudes on homosexuality is not going to come from external pressure. It's going to have to come from within.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    And, frankly, it's easy to protest in Toronto or Vancouver or the US. Makes you feel good. Yet, what will be the impact on gays living in Russia? While you (generic you) are making yourself feel good, what are your actions doing to those who will be impacted? I've noticed Farfaraway hasn't posted recently. I'm much more concerned about him than Johnny Weir's feelings. I don't think there is any chance the US will not send its athletes to Sochi. If an individual athlete opts to stay home for a personal protest, that's their business, but it's totally wrong for a few people to make a decision for others who've trained years for this opportunity. If it means they can't go looking for a gay bar in Sochi, I suspect it is something most would be willing to forego. It won't impact their event or performance. Personally, if I had to wait until I got back home to kiss my SO in public, I think I could make the sacrifice. I agree with Allezfred. This is up to the Russian people to make changes. Outside government intervention will only cause anger and protest. Nobody likes outsiders telling them what to do. It could make the situation much more dangerous for the people who live in Russia; not those who'd be there for 4-5 days and then go home. Support the Russian people yes, but they have to make the cultural paradigm shift required. It seems many are worried about athlete's being able to party more than them being able to compete. The party is bonus, but it's not the reason they are there. They can party at home.
    Those who never succeed themselves are always the first to tell you how.

vCash
    Whatever your sexuality, attend at your own peril. There is going to be trouble.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ks1227 View Post
    http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/02/sp....html?src=recg

What does it mean to "advocate" I wonder?
    IMO, to 'advocate' means to instigate a public rally to support gays in Russia and/or in sport, or to take part in such a demonstration.

vCash
    Lol you ask I give a link a you say no. Whatever. Two more writers who characterize NBC one way is not enough?
    No. You were the one who said there were "many" writers. Two or three does not prove that there was a definite trend in the coverage of Russian athletes.

There are no articles like this for any other countries athletes at all. I am now up to three writers how many do you want 20?
    Why don't you look at some of the coverage of some of the Middle Eastern countries in the context of the women athletes on (or not on) their Olympic teams. Or American track&field writers writing about African runners. It's not that hard to find other examples, unless of course you are bent on proving a case of the US being meeeeannnn to a specific country

The point is still NBC will not whitewash Russia as it doesn't even treat the athletes like it does other countries.
    And you have still not shown anything to prove that NBC is better or worse at this in its coverage of Russia compared to any other country it covers.
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

Page 36 of 52 FirstFirst ... 26343536373846 ... LastLast