Page 31 of 52 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast
    vCash
    http://en.rian.ru/world/20130731/182...ts-Spread.html

US Gay Activists Emboldened as Russian Vodka, Sochi Protests Spread
    This article contains information not suitable for readers younger than 18 years of age, according to Russian legislation.

Excerpt:

WASHINGTON, July 30 (By Carl Schreck for RIA Novosti) – As boycotts of Russian vodka spread across the globe in protest over new Russian laws on homosexuality, US gay rights activists warn the campaign could be the first stage in a broader drive targeting Russia’s economy and image with the Sochi Winter Olympics six months away.

“I don’t think the Russian vodka industry is going to be hurt, but it brings the attention,” journalist and author Michelangelo Signorile, a prominent US gay rights activist, told RIA Novosti on Tuesday. “… Then we’ll see the focus go to American companies and investment in Russia. That is where there can be a very effective strategy.”

Quadless
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Domshabfan View Post
    Yes, you are allowed to criticise political leader, nothing wrong with that. I have strong objection to the person using ''Putinstan'', the reason being that some people thought it being funny was because of the deep prejudice against all the istan (all most all of them being predominantly Muslim).
    I did not read that into the term at all, but based on your explanation, I now understand your concern and I apologize for perpetuating the offense . To me the term only invoked Putin's vast authority, so please trust that there were no further cultural insinuations of any kind, and again, I'm sorry to have offended you.
    "I miss footwork that has any kind of a discernible pattern. The goal of a step sequence should not be for a skater to show the same ice coverage as a Zamboni and take about as much time as an ice resurface. " ~ Zemgirl, reflecting on a pre-IJS straight line sequence

vCash
    I thought it was a funny joke too! But sure replacing Russia with Putinistan could be offensive.

vCash
    Does anyone know if any plans are being made for some sort of protest, boycott (perhaps of sponsors) or some other action to be taken against the IOC to get them to factor a country's human rights record in determining host countries?

vCash
    Since the Olympics are all about the $$$, boycotting the sponsors would have a really big impact.
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by attyfan View Post
    Does anyone know if any plans are being made for some sort of protest, boycott (perhaps of sponsors) or some other action to be taken against the IOC to get them to factor a country's human rights record in determining host countries?
    Such a plan would exclude the biggest countries in the world such as the USA, Russia and China. So I don't think that is possible.

vCash
    Instead of boycott, group calls on IOC to host Sochi Pride House
    ' We know that LGBT athletes are not alone in being revolted by these laws and the behavior of Russian authorities'
    31 JULY 2013 | BY GREG HERNANDEZ

Excerpt:

A coalition that includes some of the largest international LGBT sports organizations is calling on the International Olympic Committee to host a Sochi Pride House at the 2014 Winter Olympics.

The request comes due to host Russia's recently enacted anti-gay laws which have others calling for a complete boycott of the games.

The coalition, which includes the European Gay and Lesbian Sports Federation, the Federation of Gay Games, Pride Sports UK, and United for Equality in Sports and Entertainment, among others, made the request in a letter sent today to IOC President Jacques Rogge.

A Pride House is a venue welcoming LGBT athletes, fans, and others and their allies during international sporting events. The group wants such a venue in Sochi to be under the aegis of the International Olympic Committee. To ensure everyone’s safety there, they request that one or more members of the IOC would be present at all times.

'Like you, we hope that no one involved in any way with the 2014 Games will have cause to fear the (anti-gay) federal legislation,' they state in the letter to Rogge. 'One way for you to demonstrate this is by hosting a Pride House in Sochi.'
    - See more at: http://www.gaystarnews.com/article/i....LIqggIAR.dpuf

vCash
    biggest cause of problem with the world; people just cant mind their own business
    sure its atrocious but I would never shove what I want to another country that is an even bigger offense

imagine if the Olympics were held in Saudi Arabia, would anyone even have balls when it supplies the World crude oil,
    its all about $$$$ or it wouldn't even be a human rights issue if Olympics were in US while US drones drop bombs to children in Afghanistan, lol

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by love_skate2011 View Post
    biggest cause of problem with the world; people just cant mind their own business
    sure its atrocious but I would never shove what I want to another country that is an even bigger offense

imagine if the Olympics were held in Saudi Arabia, would anyone even have balls when it supplies the World crude oil,
    its all about $$$$ or it wouldn't even be a human rights issue if Olympics were in US while US drones drop bombs to children in Afghanistan, lol
    Oh yes, so LOLsy, children affected by war.

I've stated repeatedly that I'm against an Olympic boycott, but I don't believe it's inappropriate to criticize laws such as the one passed in Russia and similar abuses, and speaking out about such things is certainly not a bigger offense than the hateful legislation itself. If you want to host the biggest sports event in the world, the spotlight will be shining on you very brightly and bringing attention to all sorts of things.

And really, ignorance, fear and hate are much bigger problems, with much worse effects, than "people not minding their own business".

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Zemgirl View Post

And really, ignorance, fear and hate are much bigger problems, with much worse effects, than "people not minding their own business".
    all three you mentioned, which all rolls to the precedent

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Proustable View Post
    I'm definitely conflicted about that (and point that ultimately, it won't affect me because I wasn't going to go to Sochi in any capacity anyway; this law certainly wouldn't encourage me to change my mind, but it's not like I'd be going in it's absence). But I'd argue that by creating a law that criminalizes victims of hatred and ignorance, one creates an environment where hatred and ignorance is allowed to fester - especially when many attempt to root this hatred and ignorance in culture as if culture is an immutable force.
    Obviously it is a cultural issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Gil-Galad View Post
    I discovered that old age really mellowed my character, especially concerning politics. I no longer feel the need to have a clear-cut opition about everything and everyone - boycott; not boycott - the beginning of a new totalitarian regime in Russia; or just a small step back, that will turn out to be insignificant in the big scheme of things - I am simply not sure about it. And that's okay.

If people choose to go and break the law, they won't get your sympathy. What if people choose to stay in countries and deliberately break the laws of that country - do those get your sympathy? It's technically the same situation. Do these people get your sympathy?

What about people who go somewhere to draw attention to injustice, abuse etc. - are they worthy of sympathy if something happens to them?

What if a gay couple went to Russia, they fully wanted to comply with the current laws - but one of them gets hurt, which leads to a public display of affection? Stupid idiots - why did they go in the first place? But maybe it was a business trip, they are also business partners and they needed to secure an important order? Stupid idiots - they should have only done business with gay-friendly countries then?

Since when are people suddenly so "law-abiding"? So civil disobedience is dead? These were once the laws of my country. Laws passed by a government, that was more or less officially and legally elected by my people. My faith in laws is shaky at best. It's also not always easy and straightforward to follow the law, everytime I do my taxes I am afraid that I did it wrong and just became a criminal.

I am not saying Russia is turning into a totalitarian state, Merlin knows, there are tons of brainless useless laws all over the world, in all countries. There are human right breaches in a every country. The news about Russian government's LGBT-campaign, they caused a mild feeling of annoyance and disappointment in myself.

But people who try to downplay the effects of those laws, whose arrogance turns victims of those laws into idiots, who should have known better - these people are really dangerous. I find the lack of compassion, the sheer arrogance and blind belief in the inviolability of laws, that is on display in some of the posts here, to be truly appalling.
    You have answered some of your questions yourself. Compare this Russian law with Nazi Germany law is offensive. Do you want to know what is arrogance? To impose one's own value on other culture and other country's people is pure arrogance!
    Last edited by Eyre; 08-01-2013 at 04:26 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Eyre View Post
    Compare this Russian law with Nazi Germany law is offensive. Do you want to know what is arrogance? To impose oneself's value on other culture and other country people is pure arrogance!
    No, what is really offensive that laws similar to early Nazi laws are still being made - especially in a modern country like Russia where most people can read, have access to education, books and various forms of information.

But thanks for explanation why so few people boycotted the 1936-games or spoke out against them or staged protests - they were probably respecting Germany's long-standing cutural tradition of Antisemitism.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VarBar View Post
    You mean one President calling another President and trying to educate him? Wouldn't that imply that the other President is driven by ignorance and fear? If Russia is a democratic country that has indeed made lots of progress along the democratic path as they say, I have to wonder how a President who is driven by ignorance and fear can run a democratic country in the 21st century and educate the nation himself in the spirit of human rights and democratic values.
    No, I don't mean that one President should educate the other. I think Heads of States do talk to each other over the phone. I am suggesting that maybe if President Obama and other Heads of States ring President Putin and voice their citizens' opinions to the Russian parliament, they may reconsider the law.

What was the reaction of the Russian civil society to this new law? Did they have discussions in the media? Was the Russian gay community invited to public debates to express their viewpoint on the matter, anyone know?
    Yes, it would be interesting if anyone on FSU steeped in Russian history, law and culture, can give their viewpoints as to how and why the law was instituted in the first place. And what is the reaction of the Russian people towards this law? And if the majority disagree, how can they best communicate to their leaders to change it? Do the majority of Russians have a say in running the country?
    Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them. – Publilius Syrus

vCash
    omg its the top story on drudgereport right now
    GAY ATHLETES COULD BE PROSECUTED AT '14 WINTER OLYMPICS
    http://abcnews.go.com/International/...ry?id=19829868
    Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm - Ralph Waldo Emerson

vCash
    Twitter:

Doug Mattis ‏@DougMattis 1m
    I am a very proud member of the @ProfSk8rsAssoc --2day, especially!Check out the PSA statement about Russia! pls RT! https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater
    PinkNews ‏@pinknews 20m
    LGBT sports and human rights coalition rules out Winter Olympics boycott in favour of visibility option http://p.ink.cx/1aXyjwe
    Last edited by dardar1126; 08-01-2013 at 12:18 AM.

vCash
    Johnny Weir just tweeted:
    "Getting my rest to be ready to film with @cnnjill tomorrow and to discuss Russia and the Olympics. Tune in to her show tomorrow on @CNN."

Jill Dougherty is a foreign affairs correspondent for CNN - her bio: http://www.cnn.com/CNN/anchors_repor...erty.jill.html
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Eyre View Post
    Obviously it is a cultural issue.
    My argument is not that it isn't a cultural issue, but that asserting that it's a cultural issue doesn't make it any less ignorant and hateful.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Zemgirl View Post

I've stated repeatedly that I'm against an Olympic boycott, but I don't believe it's inappropriate to criticize laws such as the one passed in Russia and similar abuses, and speaking out about such things is certainly not a bigger offense than the hateful legislation itself. If you want to host the biggest sports event in the world, the spotlight will be shining on you very brightly and bringing attention to all sorts of things.
    Criticizing and speaking out against it is one thing. Planning to go into their country to have a public protest during their most important international event, like many here suggested and linked to, is another. I will not sympathize these people if Russia says, get out of my country!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Proustable View Post
    My argument is not that it isn't a cultural issue, but that asserting that it's a cultural issue doesn't make it any less ignorant and hateful.
    Obviously the law has its cultural base, like US gun laws. Is US gun law ignorant?
    Last edited by Eyre; 08-01-2013 at 03:01 AM.

on the rink doing synchronized spirals with Michelle Kwan, Sasha Cohen, Shawn Sawyer, Alissa Czisny, Rohene Ward, Yukina Ota, Caroline Zhang & Mirai Nagasu
    vCash
    NO person(native Russian, athlete, coach or spectator) should have to fear for their safety or threat of arrest etc due to ignorance & hatred. The thought that this is even remotely happening in 2013 is mind blowing and disgusting. I feel like we've been transported back to the 1800s

Page 31 of 52 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast