Page 29 of 52 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Greg Louganis does not support boycott of 2014 Olympics to protest Russia's anti-gay laws
    Gay champion has five Olympic medals but missed 1980 Summer Games in Moscow due to boycott
    29 JULY 2013 | BY GREG HERNANDEZ

- See more at: http://www.gaystarnews.com/article/g....ZiHRvSgQ.dpuf

vCash
    Well, I don't expect athletes past or present to support any boycott. Of course they are justified as they are the ones directly affected by it, but I'd be more surprised to hear an athlete be supportive of one even if it means losing an opportunity for personal glory.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dardar1126 View Post
    Greg Louganis does not support boycott of 2014 Olympics to protest Russia's anti-gay laws
    Gay champion has five Olympic medals but missed 1980 Summer Games in Moscow due to boycott
    29 JULY 2013 | BY GREG HERNANDEZ

- See more at: http://www.gaystarnews.com/article/g....ZiHRvSgQ.dpuf
    smart Greg!

vCash
    http://www.lgbtqnation.com/2013/07/r...nter-olympics/

Russian lawmaker wants anti-gay law enforced during Winter Olympics

BRODY LEVESQUE | LGBTQ Nation
    Monday, July 29, 2013

Excerpt:

MOSCOW — A leading member of the legislative assembly of the city and region around St. Petersburg, Russia, and a co-author of the national law signed last month by Russian President Vladimir Putin which criminalizes public displays of affection between same-sex couples and events that promote gay rights, is urging the Putin administration to “refrain from selective enforcement” of the legislation.

Vitaly Valentinovich Milonov told Russian media outlets Interfax and Radio Ekho Moskvy (Radio Echo of Moscow) in separate interviews that he was opposed to any maneuvers by the government that would effectively suspend enforcement of the law, which he said should apply to the guests and athletes of the Sochi Winter Olympics.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post
    Well, I don't expect athletes past or present to support any boycott. Of course they are justified as they are the ones directly affected by it, but I'd be more surprised to hear an athlete be supportive of one even if it means losing an opportunity for personal glory.
    Interestingly enough, two-time Olympic Pairs champions Andrée and Pierre Brunet were probably the first athletes to boycott an Olympic competition (Garmisch-Partenkirchen in 1936) for political reasons.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andr%C3%A9e_Brunet
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pierre_...figure_skater)

With respect to Sochi, though, what any meaningful boycott would need is the support of gay groups in Russia, and, as I mentioned above, they apparently don't want one. I suspect that they would rather see athletes -- gay and straight alike -- speak up for gay rights rather than stay home.

vCash
    There will be so much violence at this olympics that many countries will bring their athletes home for their own safety.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
    There will be so much violence at this olympics that many countries will bring their athletes home for their own safety.
    Wow. How lovely.

vCash

Sochi Olympics will test gay rights

Everyone seems to expect the athletes to lead the boycott, has there been any comments from any government as to possible boycotts as it is the governments that make that decision and not the athletes. - one athlete boycotts there is always another eager to take his place.

vCash
    Russian lawmaker Milonov "We will arrest gay athletes, tourists at Olympic Games"
    http://www.gaystarnews.com/article/r...ic-games300713

Banned Member
    vCash
    Russia has no sense of hospitality whatsoever and should never be chosen to host an international event of any kind - sport, fashion, music, art, whatever.

A potential hosts to the world, they SUCK A$$, which, ironically, one of the gayest things anyone could do.......

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
    Whatever you think about the law that is frankly a ridiculous statement to make. I'm guessing you've never been to an Olympics because if you had you would know that they are enveloped in a huge security bubble. The suggestion that there will be an orgy of violence in Sochi is laughable.

Quote Originally Posted by PairSk8Fan View Post
    Russia has no sense of hospitality whatsoever and should never be chosen to host an international event of any kind - sport, fashion, music, art, whatever.

A potential hosts to the world, they SUCK A$$, which, ironically, one of the gayest things anyone could do.......
    Are you trying to insult Russians or gay people or both?

As a gay man, I am disgusted by this Russian law, but I'm also disgusted by so many people using it to make xenophobic statements about Russian people.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

vCash
    Should Canada boycott Sochi 2014?
    http://www.cbc.ca/thecurrent/episode...ics/index.html
    Voices are rising across the West to say Russia's official attitudes towards the LGBT community are discriminatory, and what would really hurt is a boycott of the Sochi Winter Olympics.

Hamilton man petitions to boycott Sochi games
    http://www.cbc.ca/hamilton/news/stor...s-boycott.html
    O'Garr doesn't want the Olympics cancelled. He'd like to see them moved to a former winter host city.
    “Russia is a host country for the Olympics and everything they're doing now is against the Olympics and against the Olympic values,” he said.
    “Russia is a G8 country. They're one of the leaders of the world and they're supposed to lead by example. Thus far, they've been going backwards.”
    Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm - Ralph Waldo Emerson

vCash
    Twitter:

BuzzFeed News ‏@BuzzFeedNews 15m
    U.S. Olympic Committee Is "Engaged In Active Discussions" To Ensure Americans’ Safety In Sochi http://www.buzzfeed.com/chrisgeidner...ussions-to-ens … via @chrisgeidner

vCash
    Lol Hamilton Man brought to mind Scott hamilton! Though rumors are he's homophobic!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PairSk8Fan View Post

This is your pure hatred and true color.

vCash
    http://fcnp.com/2013/07/30/russia-th...l-crumble-too/
    What is occurring in Russia is a psychotic pogrom against homosexuals. The goal is to terrorize and humiliate LGBT people and make their lives a living hell. Such ignorant bullying and cruel barbarism will not stand and Russia will pay a prohibitive price for its outrageous actions.
    If Russia doesn’t end its war on gay people, the worldwide LGBT community and their millions of heterosexual allies will make so much noise that the Winter Olympics in Sochi will be turned into a gay rights spectacle. It will be GAY, GAY, GAY, GAY all night and day – and there isn’t a damn thing that Russia can do about it without creating an international furor that will overshadow their undeserved moment on the world stage.
    Last edited by Sugar; 07-31-2013 at 12:41 AM.
    Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm - Ralph Waldo Emerson

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by allezfred View Post
    Whatever you think about the law that is frankly a ridiculous statement to make. I'm guessing you've never been to an Olympics because if you had you would know that they are enveloped in a huge security bubble. The suggestion that there will be an orgy of violence in Sochi is laughable.
    I don't think there'll be an orgy of violence and I'd argue that the international response to this law will actually increase security for the sake of the athletes. That stated, if absolutely nothing happens, I'd be relieved.

And while I'm dissapointed to see the xenophobia in the comments, I won't deny that the responses of those in this thread rationalizing the law don't make me feel better either.

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugar View Post
    http://fcnp.com/2013/07/30/russia-th...l-crumble-too/
    What is occurring in Russia is a psychotic pogrom against homosexuals. The goal is to terrorize and humiliate LGBT people and make their lives a living hell. Such ignorant bullying and cruel barbarism will not stand and Russia will pay a prohibitive price for its outrageous actions.
    If Russia doesn’t end its war on gay people, the worldwide LGBT community and their millions of heterosexual allies will make so much noise that the Winter Olympics in Sochi will be turned into a gay rights spectacle. It will be GAY, GAY, GAY, GAY all night and day – and there isn’t a damn thing that Russia can do about it without creating an international furor that will overshadow their undeserved moment on the world stage.
    If you're going to copy and paste something for an article, can you put it in a quote box? Unless you want us to think you are as naive and unrealistic as the author of the linked article.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Proustable View Post
    I don't think there'll be an orgy of violence and I'd argue that the international response to this law will actually increase security for the sake of the athletes. That stated, if absolutely nothing happens, I'd be relieved.
    Whether or not nothing would happen will depends on both sides, not just the Russian authorities and their people. I'm sure the Russian authorities will do their best to protect the athletes and the visitors. There are many stupid laws in US. But once they become a law, it is expected everyone to follow the rules. This is a Russian law. Only the Russians could change it, not you. As a foreigner, you are expected to avoid deliberate confrontations with their laws no matter how you feel about them. If you cannot do that, then don't go there. Whether you like it or not, this is the truth.

vCash
    On the other hand.......Russia is hosting the Games. They should be a gracious host and assure the well being of athletes.,coaches.,officials and spectators. This is like saying no redheads will be allowed at the games. Open season to attack redheaded people its the law so it must be obeyed. So the top speed skater is a redheaded...Bah.. not allowed. Is that the Olympic ideal?

Page 29 of 52 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast