Page 25 of 52 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast
    Blergh
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Proustable View Post
    Lala, can you explain your comment: "It seems the Cold War is not over yet .. Good luck with that, guys!"

dots, the IOC's comments are remarkably callous.
    Basically lala is minimizing the very real issues this brings up by saying any sort of negative press is attributable to holdover animosity towards Russia from the Cold War. I mean I do think that does play a part in some way. NBC fluff pieces and whatnot are alway playing up the Soviet history and playing with old Cold War narratives. Just look at how they portrayed the Russian gymnastics team. That said, lala has chosen to ignore almost every point made regarding the anti-gay laws to the point where she's pretending they aren't a big deal.

vCash
    I'm wondering if she feels they aren't in fact a big deal, and if the fuss people are making is entirely attributable to said press.

vCash
    I just don't understand what needs to happen for some people to turn a corner? I mean are the pictures, videos, and horror stories coming out of there not enough?

What exactly needs to happen for someone to admit that it's indeed a scary situation?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dots View Post
    I just don't understand what needs to happen for some people to turn a corner? I mean are the pictures, videos, and horror stories coming out of there not enough?

What exactly needs to happen for someone to admit that it's indeed a scary situation?
    I could easily find equally, if not more, brutal examples from US. This is just pot calling kettle black.

vCash
    Because the US government is never criticized for their anti-gay policies on FSU.

Also, why do some posters think everyone is American?

vCash
    Ok, change the word. I could easily find horrible things from any countries. Your country maybe no better than theirs. Is gay issue the most important issue?

vCash
    And guess what? Plenty of Canadians would've supported a boycott of 2010 if the Canadian govt enacted such extreme anti-gay laws (the fact that you seem to equate anything remotely homophobic as being equivalent to Putin's law is telling about how you truly feel about the law). Have you met overedge (love ya!)?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dots View Post

Right now people with all the info are saying anything going on should not effect Sochi. They are condemning and criticizing and that's being done.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by manhn View Post
    And guess what? Plenty of Canadians would've supported a boycott of 2010 if the Canadian govt enacted such extreme anti-gay laws (the fact that you seem to equate anything remotely homophobic as being equivalent to Putin's law is telling about how you truly feel about the law). Have you met overedge (love ya!)?
    What about overedge? Canada will never have such law. If indeed it had, or US had, I'd say the same thing. How do you know that there is no people supporting boycott Sochi game in Russia?
    Last edited by Eyre; 07-27-2013 at 04:29 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Eyre View Post
    Ok, change the word. I could easily find horrible things from any countries. Your country maybe no better than theirs. Is gay issue the most important issue?
    ... because gay issues and Sochi Olympics are the topic of discussion. Why would we think this is not an important issue? This is what the thread is about.

Russia is hosting the Olympics, the biggest spectacle on the planet, and indirectly is shedding light on the poor treatment of LGBT people in Russia.

It's an important topic worth discussing.

Quadless
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Eyre View Post
    Is gay issue the most important issue?
    Does it have to be the most important issue to still matter?
    "I miss footwork that has any kind of a discernible pattern. The goal of a step sequence should not be for a skater to show the same ice coverage as a Zamboni and take about as much time as an ice resurface. " ~ Zemgirl, reflecting on a pre-IJS straight line sequence

Blergh
    vCash
    Don't worry Eyre. The Olympics will happen and Patrick Chan can still win his gold medal.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post
    Don't worry Eyre. The Olympics will happen and Patrick Chan can still win his gold medal.
    What has the boycott of Sochi Olympics got to do with Patrick Chan or other skaters and gold medals just because Eyre doesn't seem to support the boycott?

I am sure most of our lives do not revolve around skaters although we post in skating forums?
    Last edited by spikydurian; 07-27-2013 at 05:13 AM.
    Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them. – Publilius Syrus

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    I think the question is a legitimate one since there is the suggestion of supporting a boycott, as there were no boycotts in other countries with serious human rights violations that escalated after the Games were awarded. It's also legitimate to ask whether the boycott will accomplish more than it hurts, and whether it is an appropriate response, because even gay athletes aren't unanimous that it's the way to go.

Perhaps it would be more effective if every athlete simultaneously ripped off his or her jacket at the opening ceremony during the Olympic oath to reveal a glittering rainbow shirt, so that Russia would have to arrest every athlete and coach who marched.
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

vCash
    To what end Kwanfan? Foreign athletes can not change Russian laws, they'd be arrested and dealt with, and the law with still be there. Russians need to be the ones up in arms about this.

vCash
    But there has been discussion of boycotts after a country commits some heinous human rights infractions. Such discussion caused a young girl in China to cry in her pillow. Not much different now. It's not like anyone truly believes there will be any large-scale boycotts in Sochi.

One example:

http://boycottvancouver2010.blogspot.ca/
    Last edited by manhn; 07-27-2013 at 05:53 AM.

vCash
    Johnny Weir urges countries not to boycott Sochi Olympics:

http://www.newnownext.com/johnny-wei...ycott/07/2013/
    "I hit him with my shoes... if he had given me the medal like I told him to, I wouldn't have had to hit him!" -- 8-year-old Rhoda Penmark in "The Bad Seed"

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Angelskates View Post
    To what end Kwanfan? Foreign athletes can not change Russian laws, they'd be arrested and dealt with, and the law with still be there. Russians need to be the ones up in arms about this.
    Would the Russian police arrest every last athlete at the opening ceremonies? That would take the oomph out of their Olympic Games. It certainly would show support for GLBT communities worldwide, like Danes of all religions wearing the yellow Star of David.
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BittyBug View Post
    Does it have to be the most important issue to still matter?
    This is the answer :

Quote Originally Posted by manhn View Post
    The point is that you could always find something irritating in every country. Different people will find different things that they think matter the most. Will you boycott every Olympics? What did US and China gain or accomplish the last time they boycotted Moscow game? However, I'm sure if Russia started the world war III, that will be a good reason to boycott the Olympics in Russia and most of the countries around the world will do so.

Quote Originally Posted by spikydurian View Post
    What has the boycott of Sochi Olympics got to do with Patrick Chan or other skaters and gold medals just because Eyre doesn't seem to support the boycott?

I am sure most of our lives do not revolve around skaters although we post in skating forums?
    Exactly! It's only one of the hobbies for most of us, certainly for me. We do not live and breathe for it.
    Last edited by Eyre; 07-27-2013 at 06:29 AM.

vCash
    There were calls for a boycott of the 1968 Games and I think a small number of athletes did boycott. And then of course there were Tommie Smith and and John Carlos who went and did this. That is a powerful image, and I think if some athletes can come up with a protest that striking in Sochi, it could be no less effective. But it has to be said that the three men on the podium paid a price for their protest later on.

I'm aware that they were not protesting issues related to the organizers of those Olympics, but rather racism in sports and in various countries.

Page 25 of 52 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast