Page 24 of 52 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast
    Blergh
    vCash
    I guess genocide is ok as long as the athletes don't suffer.

I know nobody said that, but I find the whole "poor athletes" mentality so unpersuasive. If anything, they'll go on with their lives like everyone else who lost a huge opportunity. Also, I think people are more worried about missing out on their own fun watching the Olympics rather than caring about the athletes themselves.

I'm not saying whether a boycott should happen, but if it does happen, it's not the worst thing in the world by far. However, I do agree with the poster who said that if there is a boycott, it needs to be followed-through with other things, not just a boycott of an Olympics in Russia. Otherwise, the boycott would be needless.

Anyway, every country has bad things going on, but the differences are how justifiable are their actions. Yes, people have pointed out disgusting things that the U.S. is guilty of, but they still haven't answered how that excuses Russia's treatment of LGBTQ individuals, etc. So tell me, why is this targeting ok? Is it because it's only targeting "propaganda" towards children? Well, define that and how are you sure it isn't narrowly-tailored to fit that goal rather than just giving law enforcement discretion to intimidate however they want? Also, why is it ok if it only attacks propaganda against children anyway? That's hardly a justification.

vCash
    CBC article:
    Should Olympians fear Russia's anti-gay laws?
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/story/2...s.html?cmp=rss
    Mark Tewksbury, an Olympic medallist who publicly announced he was gay in 1998 and worked as chef de mission for the 2012 Canadian summer Olympic team, said in an email the new law means that “everyone will have to be more aware of the safety of the team.”

But he added the Canadian Olympic Committee (COC) is among the best “in terms of its team preparation.”

Olympic officials have “received assurances from the highest levels of the Russian government” that the new anti-gay law “will not affect in any way those attending or taking part in the Games,” COC executive director Dimitri Soudas said by phone.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Eyre View Post
    Are you talking about USA?
    The fact that similar mechanisms are at work pretty much everywhere doesn't make what's happening in Russia right.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lala View Post
    Do you think this is legal? The skinheads are so disgusting in every country. I'm sure the Russian police doesn't allow this.

Look at this! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJWxv677H6w Modern torture by the CIA....
    Hu?

That's the point of the article. That they are...

"These self-proclaimed "crime fighters" perform their actions under the broad day light, often outside and clearly visible to general public that indifferently passes by or even commend them. Video recordings of bullying and tortures are freely distributed on the Internet in order to out LGBT teens to their respective schools, parents and friends. Many victims were driven to suicides, the rest are deeply traumatized. So far Russian police took no action against these "movements" even though Russian criminal code was clearly violated and despite numerous complaints from parents, victims and LGBT activists."

Did you not see the many pictures throughout this thread? Police are letting it happen.

https://sites.google.com/a/spectrumh...oneshomophobia

vCash
    Letter from CEO of SPI Group/Stolichnaya Vodka in response to proposed boycott of product re: Russian anti-gay law:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BQG_fn3CEAAYhNi.jpg:large

Synopsis: His company is pro-gay, and has no connection to the Russian government.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dots View Post
    Hu?

That's the point of the article. That they are...

"These self-proclaimed "crime fighters" perform their actions under the broad day light, often outside and clearly visible to general public that indifferently passes by or even commend them. Video recordings of bullying and tortures are freely distributed on the Internet in order to out LGBT teens to their respective schools, parents and friends. Many victims were driven to suicides, the rest are deeply traumatized. So far Russian police took no action against these "movements" even though Russian criminal code was clearly violated and despite numerous complaints from parents, victims and LGBT activists."

Did you not see the many pictures throughout this thread? Police are letting it happen.

https://sites.google.com/a/spectrumh...oneshomophobia
    Sorry, I don't believe every words,this is a little bit hysteric... Can you imagine, that the Russian people not become indignant?That is one thing, they do not want to see kiss of gay couples on Red Square , but do you think they endure the torture of people? ... hard to believe. I believe, that is really happened, but not in general and adopted ...

I showed some videos from Budapest, Beograd, Tbilisi, where the extremist forces, and the police had violent action against gays.
    Last edited by lala; 07-26-2013 at 07:12 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dardar1126 View Post
    Letter from CEO of SPI Group/Stolichnaya Vodka in response to proposed boycott of product re: Russian anti-gay law:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BQG_fn3CEAAYhNi.jpg:large

Synopsis: His company is pro-gay, and has no connection to the Russian government.
    I like it!!! People need to protest on every possible forum, but don't use the sport!

vCash
    double post

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lala View Post
    Sorry, I don't believe every words,this is a little bit hysteric... Can you imagine, that the Russian people not become indignant?That is one thing, they do not want to see kiss of gay couples on Red Square , but do you think they endure the torture of people? ... hard to believe. I believe, that is really happened, but not in general and adopted ...
    Yes, kissing on Red Square completely is just yucky!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hydro View Post
    Not to mention, thinking something is yucky is not a good enough reason to strip people of rights and protections.

I love how some people are defending this law by arguing that everything will be fine so long as "nobody shows any gay propaganda to teenagers", while conveniently ignoring how 1. The whole notion of "gay propaganda" is ludicrous 2. it seems to mean "anything that won't make gay people seem evil/gay kids feel like shit" and 3. lots of kids know at a young age that they are LGBT. All the "gay propaganda" in the world won't make someone gay if they are not so inclined, while not providing gay kids any support and giving violent bigots free reign to treat LGBT folks and their supporters as they please won't turn anyone straight, but it can get people killed.

Lala, FSU has a multiquote function. Please use it.

vCash
    For me isn't...

Quote Originally Posted by Zemgirl View Post

Lala, FSU has a multiquote function. Please use it.
    Ok.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Next they'll want to kiss in Paris.
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

Blergh
    vCash
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_3263406.html

I know this is just one crime and it is not indicative of what the norm will be in a Russia that has institutionalized and legalized homophobia, but the fact that there is a law like this in the books only foster and legitimize these types of attitudes against LGBTQ individuals living there.

vCash
    And attacks aren't just against gay people...

http://www.towleroad.com/2013/07/pol...yPermalink$%3E

07/25/2013

POLICE IN SOCHI BRUTALIZE AND SODOMIZE OLYMPIC CONSTRUCTION WORKER

BY RJ AGUIAR

Excerpt (WARNING...graphic discription):

As a result of recent anti-gay legislation and increases in anti-gay attacks, Russia has found itself at the center of extensive controversy as of late. Part of this controversy has surrounded the 2014 Winter Olympic Games in Sochi. LGBT rights advocates are already calling foul to the U.S. government and to NBC. Some are even calling for a boycott. Unfortunately, none of this controversy is likely to die anytime soon, now that Vocativ is releasing the story of Martiros Demerchyan, a construction worker from Sochi who was assulted, brutalized, and forcibly sodomized by police. According to Vocativ and organizations such as Human Rights Watch, this incident is indicative of patterns that have become "a frequent complaint in Sochi, a once sleepy resort town on Russia’s Black Sea coastline."

The incident in question took place after a pay dispute, which took place after the Okhotskaya Building Companys allegedly underpaid Demerchyan approximately 20,000 rubles (or $600 USD). After compaining to his supervisor, he was accused of stealing electrical wire from his job. Demerchyan subsequently offered to let authorities search his home for the "missing" wire, which seemed to satisfy his supervisor. After being told to "come by and pick up your pay," Demerchyan was then ambushed by police and taken to the police station, where they attempted to intimidate him into signing a confession for the wire theft. When he refused, police allegedly donned boxing gloves and beat him until he lost consciousness. Vocativ shares what happened next:

"When Demerchyan awoke, he again refused to confess to the crime he says he did not commit. The police then allegedly bent him over, shoved his face to the ground and sodomized him with a red fireman’s crowbar. 'I screamed,' Demerchyan says. 'I said, ‘I’ll sign whatever you want, just please don’t torture me anymore. I can’t bear any more of this.'' Demerchyan’s relative and co-worker, Sergei Krbashyan, accompanied him to the station, and was beaten as well, though less severely. Reportedly, Krbashyan said that he’d rather be shot than have the crowbar used on him."

After the incident, Demerchyan was taken to a private medical center. According to medical reports, his injuries corrobarate the story he shared: a concussion, two cracked teeth, and “intestinal injuries obtained from penetration by a foreign object.”

vCash
    Sorry, I don't believe every words,
    Unless it's an article stating that there is just *NO WAY* that an athlete, family member of athlete, friend of athlete, support staff of athlete, official, family member of official, friend of official, coach, family member of coach, friend of coach, former athlete, family member of former athlete, friend of former athlete and just an Olympic enthusiast will be affected by such laws.

How convenient.

vCash
    Twitter:

LGBTQ Nation ‏@lgbtqnation 1h
    Olympic committee: Russia says athletes, fans exempt from anti-gay laws - http://lgbtq.me/13M94Lx
    Towleroad ‏@tlrd 1h
    Queer Nation Responds To Stoli Over Russian Vodka Boycott http://tlrd.us/16k2Ilh

vCash
    It seems the Cold War is not over yet .. Good luck with that, guys!
    Last edited by lala; 07-27-2013 at 12:11 AM.

vCash
    lol @ IOC

"Russia says athletes, fans exempt from anti-gay laws"

Like that will stop these thugs...

http://s3-ec.buzzfed.com/static/enha...4515186-14.jpg

http://s3-ec.buzzfed.com/static/enha...4515395-42.jpg

The IOC is not helping the situation...

vCash
    Lala, can you explain your comment: "It seems the Cold War is not over yet .. Good luck with that, guys!"

dots, the IOC's comments are remarkably callous.

vCash
    At this rate, the USA will never have gone to an Olympics in Russia.

Page 24 of 52 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast