Page 23 of 52 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast
    engaged to dupa
    vCash
    I guess I missed what the Dutch visitors were detained for or what the charges are. Can someone point me to the link that explains it.
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

vCash
    Can I just point out that BOYCOTTS DON'T WORK. We've established this already. The only thing a boycott does is punish the athletes who've worked so hard all their lives for this Olympic dream.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by milanessa View Post
    I guess I missed what the Dutch visitors were detained for or what the charges are. Can someone point me to the link that explains it.
    http://www.expatica.com/nl/news/dutc...a-_270330.html

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by milanessa View Post
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...ampaign=Buffer

Dutch Tourists Jailed Under Russia's 'Gay Propaganda' Law
    The Huffington Post | By Cavan Sieczkowski
    Posted: 07/22/2013 3:58 pm EDT | Updated: 07/24/2013 11:47 am EDT

Excerpt:

Four Dutch tourists have been jailed under Russia's "gay propaganda" law after they were suspected of promoting homosexuality to children.

Russian LGBT Network was the first to report the tourists had been jailed Sunday. Russia's Gazeta later reported the four suspects were with the LGBT-Groningen organization.

According to a Huffington Post translation of the report, the tourists arrived in Murmansk in mid-July to make a film about the city and the life of gay community there. While conducting a seminar with local LGBT group Center Maximum on Sunday, the police came in and arrested group chairman Kris van der Veen, as well as a camerawoman, a sound technician and a female student. Members of Center Maximum were also arrested.

The police were reportedly looking for minors at the meeting, according to Gazeta, but found none. They did, however, discover a 17-year-old in the film footage. The teen had told the crew he was 18 years old at the time of his interview, according to the report. Police were able to keep the Dutch tourists under the "homosexual propaganda" law.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by misskarne View Post
    Can I just point out that BOYCOTTS DON'T WORK. We've established this already. The only thing a boycott does is punish the athletes who've worked so hard all their lives for this Olympic dream.

Well, I'm sure the IOC and Russia have a lot to lose if there was a boycott. Don't worry abut a possible boycott. The Olympics have gotten so commercial and corporate that participating nations can't really have a point of view anymore.
    Last edited by VIETgrlTerifa; 07-25-2013 at 01:57 AM.

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by caseyedwards View Post
    Thanks.
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Montgomery Bus Boycott
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

vCash

Sochi Olympics will test gay rights

Unfortunately I am on my cellphone and cannot link articles so if someone could post Johnny's latest blog for FCNP, he expressed his opinion what a boycott of the Olympics would mean to the athletes and their families.

vCash
    Patrick Burke, of the You Can Play project (an initiative seeking to change the culture of homophobia in sport), wrote an editorial on why he believes LGBT athletes should go to Sochi:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/patrickburke/dont-boycott-sochi

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    The Montgomery Bus Boycott was not a boycott imposed by the governement. It was a local boycott, and it lasted over a year.

The only boycotts along the same lines would be if the athletes decided not to show up or if spectators sold (or ate) their tickets and didn't travel to Russia or spend a dime there. Also if people refused to watch, and the ratings went into the toilet.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by caseyedwards View Post
    you beat me ...I have the link, too...

vCash
    Russian Skinheads Use Social Media To Lure And Torture LGBT Teens

How to best deal with the fact that the country is completely malfunctioning (and has been for years)? Find enemies. Find scapegoats. Internal and external. Echoes of Third Reich.

For all of my attempts to understand the processes happening in Russia at the moment, especially in relation to international politics and imperialism, there comes a point where I just go: Screw it.

I hope Russia gets isolated and left to fester in its own sad shit until a revolution eventually comes because the only thing violence breeds is more violence.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    How to best deal with the fact that the country is completely malfunctioning (and has been for years)? Find enemies. Find scapegoats. Internal and external. Echoes of Third Reich.
    Are you talking about USA?

vCash
    Human Rights Campaign urges NBC’s Olympic broadcasts to expose Russia’s anti-gay laws
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...anti-gay-laws/
    The Russian law has incited calls for a boycott of the 2014 Olympic Games and furious response from LGBT advocates. In Sunday’s New York Times, actor and playwright Harvey Fierstein wrote an op-ed stating, “Russia’s president, Vladimir V. Putin, has declared war on homosexuals. So far, the world has mostly been silent.”
    Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm - Ralph Waldo Emerson

vCash
    Consider Sochi games boycott
    http://www.thestar.com/opinion/lette...s_boycott.html
    Just a few months before the Winter Olympics in Russia, President Vladimir Putin has signed an anti-gay law reminiscent of Nazi Germany. Adolf Hitler banned gay organizations, scholarly books regarding homosexuality were burned and homosexuals were branded as degenerates and sent to concentration camps to be killed.
    Putin has also banned gay organizations and it is a criminal offence to provide information on sexual orientation to children, making those who are different feel isolated, confused and the target of bullying. There is a high suicide rate among LGBT youth and this lack of support will surely cost many young lives.
    Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm - Ralph Waldo Emerson

vCash
    Again: The Olympics went ahead in China. With that as a precedent, I see no reason for any boycott of Sochi.

vCash
    Again: The Olympics went ahead in China. With that as a precedent, I see no reason for any boycott of Sochi.
    Yes, the law is a shame. But!!!!! The most important thing is the sport, and the Olympic spirit! The Olympic spirit can beat everything. I'm sure any athletes, coach, guests won't be insult, if they don't provoke the Russians. But if an athlete chooses not want to participate, has right.
    Almost every Olympic local has some political problem. So we can say bye-bye for the Olympic Games.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Eyre View Post
    Are you talking about USA?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    Russian Skinheads Use Social Media To Lure And Torture LGBT Teens

For all of my attempts to understand the processes happening in Russia at the moment, especially in relation to international politics and imperialism, there comes a point where I just go: Screw it.

I hope Russia gets isolated and left to fester in its own sad shit until a revolution eventually comes because the only thing violence breeds is more violence.
    Do you think this is legal? The skinheads are so disgusting in every country. I'm sure the Russian police doesn't allow this.

Look at this! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJWxv677H6w Modern torture by the CIA....

Page 23 of 52 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast