Page 21 of 52 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

vCash
    Look at Granddad in the corner with his 18th century views complaining and being annoying. Everyone just smile and nod at him and he'll soon fall asleep again and we can go back to what we were talking about...
    I guess the hard thing for a lot of people to accept is why God would allow me to go running through their yards, yelling and spinning around.

vCash
    Russia’s anti-gay law is incompatible with Olympic values. Should we boycott Sochi?
    http://www.theglobeandmail.com/comme...ticle13318097/
    "....for Canada it stands in direct contrast to the values for which we are internationally lauded. And while another country’s laws are rarely within the sphere of Canadian action, in this case we must give serious consideration to our participation at the Sochi Olympics in 2014."
    Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm - Ralph Waldo Emerson

vCash
    Slightly OT, but I didn't notice the Globe and Mail making that same argument about protesting unfair rules when the 2010 Olympics refused to have a women's ski jumping event. Even though discrimination on the basis of gender is illegal under Canadian human rights law.
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

vCash
    I think the issues are different in that there are factors other than animus against women going into play regarding why the IOC did not include women's ski jumping in the Vancouver Olympics. The reasons noted (lack of competition, lack of nation participation, highly disparate skill-levels among the contenders) are similar reasons they give for rejecting other sports. I'm not saying the IOC was right to do it as I don't know too much about the ski jumping situation, but pointing out why the cases may be perceived differently.

vCash
    My cynical suspicion was that it also might have had something to do with the G&M being part of the official Canadian media consortium providing coverage of the 2010 Games
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    My cynical suspicion was that it also might have had something to do with the G&M being part of the official Canadian media consortium providing coverage of the 2010 Games
    Oh yeah, that too.

vCash

Sochi Olympics will test gay rights

delete
    Last edited by judiz; 07-22-2013 at 12:18 PM.

vCash
    RUSSIA: Gay Dutch Tourists Arrested For Violating Homosexual Propaganda Ban

The Russian LGBT Network reports on Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/LGBT.Russia...51483357397644

URGENT NEWS! In Murmansk city (North Russia) 3 Dutch citizens detained by the police on charges of gay-propaganda. At the moment they were released from the police station. Police compiled reports on the violation of rules of stay in the territory of Russia and the violation of the law of the "propaganda of non-traditional sexual relations among minors." Court hearing will be at 9 a.m. (Moscow time) 22 July 2013. The Russian LGBT Network provides legal assistance. We will keep you updated.
    I'll have more on this after the hearing.

UPDATE: "URGENT NEWS from Murmansk city: we have just been informed that the case with the Dutch activists will NOT be held today. We'll keep you informed about the situation."

Quadless
    vCash
    While they're up there, maybe the police should also try to arrest the aurora borealis itself for waving a rainbow flag. With incidents like this one, it certainly becomes harder to dismiss concerns about Sochi as misinterpretations of the law or cultural misunderstandings.
    "I miss footwork that has any kind of a discernible pattern. The goal of a step sequence should not be for a skater to show the same ice coverage as a Zamboni and take about as much time as an ice resurface. " ~ Zemgirl, reflecting on a pre-IJS straight line sequence

vCash

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by B.Cooper View Post
    You just beat me to it...I was just going to post Harvey Fierstein's op-ed!

vCash

Sochi Olympics will test gay rights

me too but the link wouldn't copy so I deleted my post

vCash
    WARNING: Includes pictures of injured, bloody people violently assaulted.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/mjs538/photo...edium=buzzfeed

36 Photos From Russia That Everyone Needs To See
    It’s a scary place for LGBT people in Russia right now.

vCash
    Netherlands is of course a major speed skating power where the Olympics are the pinnacle of careers but now a few of their citizens are In jail so will they oppose it and announce a boycott for human rights or endorse the law and Russia and send their speedskaters to Sochi?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by caseyedwards View Post
    Netherlands is of course a major speed skating power where the Olympics are the pinnacle of careers but now a few of their citizens are In jail so will they oppose it and announce a boycott for human rights or endorse the law and Russia and send their speedskaters to Sochi?
    While I would be shocked if the US boycotted Sochi because of anti-gay laws, I've been wondering if any other, more liberal, countries might do so. Has anyone heard anything?
    "I hit him with my shoes... if he had given me the medal like I told him to, I wouldn't have had to hit him!" -- 8-year-old Rhoda Penmark in "The Bad Seed"

vCash
    One of the Dutch Speed team coaches is a friend of mine and an openly gay woman (Australian ex World Champion speed skater). I'll try and get her take in if anything is being mentioned. News at 11...
    I guess the hard thing for a lot of people to accept is why God would allow me to go running through their yards, yelling and spinning around.

vCash
    My friend (Dutch speed coach) wrote me back.
    Hi ******, I read an article yesterday, they said no one will be bothered in Sochi. A few gay participants have said they are going and will wear rainbow pins too sad that the Russians president is like that. It is a weird place but I think it will be ok it just one fake village, you don't even go into the city you are just stuck at the venue so not like Vancouver at all.

vCash
    Yes, I expect that the Olympic Village will be a kind of "Fantasy Island"...a separate unreality to the actual, real lives of LGBT Russians, and the danger and threats that they live with every single freaking day.

But what about the LGBT tourists? They can't hide out in the village, they can't avoid interacting with the real Russia. So, if LGBT tourists go to Sochi, they'd better watch their backs!

It's becoming pretty clear that no government, no sports organization/federation is going to want to seriously rock this leaky boat...that everyone involved will make weak pronouncements of objection to the new law...and do nothing.

P.S. Remember that the Nazis also passed laws. They started out incrementally. Their master plan was not obvious to the outside world for years. And people like Neville Chamberlain and other world leaders tried a policy of appeasement with Hitler. It didn't work out so well.
    Last edited by dardar1126; 07-23-2013 at 07:24 AM.

vCash
    Very lucky to get a connection to a leader of Dutch speed skating! Its what I thought was likely. Sochi or more the village will be an island and it's just all IOC and Olympics and the athletes will not be disturbed! Netherlands you have the huge overwhelming passion for speed skating vs the total commitment to human rights for all. So they will vocalize that in Sochi and not stay away!

vCash

Page 21 of 52 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast