Page 15 of 52 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Not sure why it's a surprise considering Putin was once a KGB officer. Upholding rights was the last thing they were concerned of.

vCash
    Twitter:

Johnny Weir-Voronov ‏@JohnnyGWeir 31s
    Russian President Vladimir Putin has effectively signed away all gay rights and make our people illegal. ���� I will walk proudly in Moscow!
    Victor Weir-Voronov ‏@Vweirvoronov 21m
    @JohnnyGWeir and I will proudly hold your hand.
    EDIT:

AMERICAblog ‏@americablog 14m
    Russian LGBT groups warn of “impending tragedy” as Olympics approach & violence increases http://americablog.com/2013/07/russi...ics-sochi.html
    Last edited by dardar1126; 07-02-2013 at 06:55 PM.

vCash
    I can't believe....

vCash
    Sochi 2014 Olympics Unsafe For LGBT Community Under Russia’s Anti-Gay Law, Activists Warn
    http://www.ibtimes.com/sochi-2014-ol...-warn-1334223#
    Some gay rights activists like RUSA LGBT have asked corporate sponsors and partners of the Sochi Olympics -- including Coca-Cola, VISA, Omega Watches, PriceWaterhouseCoopers, Procter & Gamble, Samsung and Panasonic -- to withdraw their support and funding unless Russia can ensure the safety of all visitors to the Olympic Games. A poll conducted Tuesday by the U.K.’s Guardian newspaper, meanwhile, found that 56 percent of readers believed the U.S. should boycott the Olympics altogether because of Russia’s anti-gay law.
    Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm - Ralph Waldo Emerson

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugar View Post
    [B]]
    [url]http://\
    A poll conducted Tuesday by the U.K.’s Guardian newspaper, meanwhile, found that 56 percent of readers believed the U.S. should boycott the Olympics altogether because of Russia’s anti-gay law.
    Just what gives the U.K. or any other country right to tell the US Olympic Committee what should the our stand on the Olympics.

Just Butt out
    Morry Stillwell

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugar View Post
    Sochi 2014 Olympics Unsafe For LGBT Community Under Russia’s Anti-Gay Law, Activists Warn
    http://www.ibtimes.com/sochi-2014-ol...-warn-1334223#
    Some gay rights activists like RUSA LGBT have asked corporate sponsors and partners of the Sochi Olympics -- including Coca-Cola, VISA, Omega Watches, PriceWaterhouseCoopers, Procter & Gamble, Samsung and Panasonic -- to withdraw their support and funding unless Russia can ensure the safety of all visitors to the Olympic Games. A poll conducted Tuesday by the U.K.’s Guardian newspaper, meanwhile, found that 56 percent of readers believed the U.S. should boycott the Olympics altogether because of Russia’s anti-gay law.
    While I completely agree with everything RUSALGBT stands for, it's just not possible. Those companies have invested BILLIONS of dollars into the Olympic games. It would be too much of a loss to ever be consider. However, encouraging those companies to support gay athletes in Sochi would be a better(and more doable) option.

Quote Originally Posted by Morry Stillwell View Post
    Just what gives the U.K. or any other country right to tell the US Olympic Committee what should the our stand on the Olympics.

Just Butt out
    Obviously America is being thrown into the spotlight because American Companies (sponsors/tv rights) have poured the most money into the games. It's a noble thought, but unfair non the less. The US Olympic Committee should not be put on the spot in that way.Plus is not going to happen. It shouldn't!

vCash
    [QUOTEObviously America is being thrown into the spotlight because American Companies (sponsors/tv rights) have poured the most money into the games. It's a noble thought, but unfair non the less. The US Olympic Committee should not be put on the spot in that way.Plus is not going to happen. It shouldn't![/QUOTE]

I have great admiration for any athlete that is willing to risk an Olympic career, for a cause they support.

However, I have complete disdain for anyone that tries to deprive another athlete from reaching his or her Olympic goals.

It is been my privilege to work with high level figure skaters for over 40 years and I know how much of their life is invested in what may be their only on chance at Olympic glory.
    Morry Stillwell

vCash
    It is been my privilege to work with high level figure skaters for over 40 years and I know how much of their life is invested in what may be their only on chance at Olympic glory.
    Sometimes there are more important things in the real world to stand up for than a "chance at Olympic glory". I'm not saying this is the case nor do I believe the Sochi Games should be boycotted. But let put things into perspective: at the end of the day, it's just an Olympic Game.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    But let put things into perspective: at the end of the day, it's just an Olympic Game.
    You mean, it's "just something that the athletes have worked for nearly their whole life, with many sacrifices."

vCash
    ^^^ It's still not life and death. If there is a boycott, the athletes will be disappointed, they will cry, some will complain .... but eventually all those will stop and they'll move on with with their lives.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    ^^^ It's still not life and death. If there is a boycott, the athletes will be disappointed, they will cry, some will complain .... but eventually all those will stop and they'll move on with with their lives.
    You have every right to make your own decisions, but downgrading an athletes feelings if they should lose the chance is a real jerk statement.
    Morry Stillwell

vCash
    Although in principle I do agree with you orbitz, it's easy for us to say because we're not in the athlete's shoes. We don't know what we'd do given the same situation and life experience. How many of us would give up our careers or ambitions for our principles? Sure we could find new things to do and figure something out, but it's hard when you've given your life for this one nearly impossible goal that is somehow attainable for you due to your hard work, opportunity, talent, and sheer luck. It may also be your only chance at it.

vCash
    You have every right to make your own decisions, but downgrading an athletes feelings if they should lose the chance is a real jerk statement.
    I'm not downgrading any athlete's feeling. They will feel what they feel if they can't go to the Olympic but the truth is that there lives will go on and most will go on to lead productive lives. I'm just saying that there are rare occasions where something needs to take precedent over an athletic competition and arguing that "well these athletes train their whole lives for their once chance at Olympic glories" and therefore we can't cancel the competition isn't going to cut it. It's life.

You've been around for like what, 70+ years? Perhaps you can find a more mature word befitting your years than "jerk", eh?

vCash
    I think the athletes reserve their individual rights in making their own decisions. Everyone of us look at an issue differently, react differently and take different routes to deal with it.
    Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them. – Publilius Syrus

vCash
    The devil's in the details. I'm sure there would be a major boycott if Russia banned Jews, the handicapped, people of color, etc. Yes, the Olympics is business, but it's interesting to consider the reason utilitarianism trumps equal rights in this conversation.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwantumleap View Post
    The devil's in the details. I'm sure there would be a major boycott if Russia banned Jews, the handicapped, people of color, etc. Yes, the Olympics is business, but it's interesting to consider the reason utilitarianism trumps equal rights in this conversation.
    If Russia banned Jews, the handicapped, people of colour, etc., there will be few athletes left to compete. So it is unlikely to happen.
    Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them. – Publilius Syrus

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by spikydurian View Post
    If Russia banned Jews, the handicapped, people of colour, etc., there will be few athletes left to compete. So it is unlikely to happen.
    I imagine that there are more gay athletes than athletes with disabilities in the regular Olympics (not the case with the Paralympic Games, of course). Not that it matters: the whole point is that none of these groups should be discriminated against, and yet Russia by law is discriminating against LGBT people.

I'm not in favor of a boycott, but I do hope that there will be some sort of protest at the Games.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwantumleap View Post
    Russia has made no statements that they intend to ban anyone. They Olympic Village will be safe for everyone.
    Morry Stillwell

vCash
    Russia has made no statements that they intend to ban anyone. They Olympic Village will be safe for everyone.
    Oh, great, now the athletes just have to make sure the teleporting is invented before the Olympcis, so they don't have to go to say, airport or public transportation...
    Last edited by TAHbKA; 07-05-2013 at 06:47 PM.

vCash
    There is a major athletic event in august in Moscow. So It can be seen there if Russia uses that event as a pretext just to harass homosexuals.

Page 15 of 52 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast