Page 51 of 52 FirstFirst ... 4149505152 LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,020 of 1025
    vCash
    First of all i don't like the law.

But I have some questions:
    -What is the difference between the OG and the Athletic World Championships?
    -How many people were arrested in Moscow ?
    -How many people were deported in three-four days ?
    This is what I also don't like, when the people exaggerate.
    Last edited by lala; 08-13-2013 at 09:52 PM.

vCash
    Russia may be 1st Olympic host to ever threaten to jail Olympians
    http://americablog.com/2013/08/russi...-2014-gay.html
    There are a number of valid reasons to no longer host the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi Russia, and to move them, say, to the city of Vancouver for February of 2015 (to give Vancouver time to prepare). But paramount among those reasons is concern for the safety of the athletes.

Russia’s threat to jail Olympic athletes, visitors and media is unprecedented in the history of the Olympics.

The Soviets didn’t threaten to jail the athletes during the 1980 Moscow Olympics.

Even Hitler didn’t go that far when the Nazis hosted the Berlin Olympics in 1936.

The very fact that Russia dawdled for three weeks, when asked by the International Olympic Committee for assurances as to the safety of the athletes attending the 2014 Winter Olympics, should have given the world pause.

But for Russia to now say “game on,” and recommit to throwing Olympic athletes, guests and media in the gulag, for the supposed protection of Russia’s “children,” is beyond the Olympic pale.
    Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm - Ralph Waldo Emerson

aspiring tri-national
    vCash
    I can't not post this re: my earlier gibe at former Commies and right-wing loons here in the U.S. It's not often you read Pat Buchanan defending Russia: http://mediamatters.org/blog/2013/08...ng-to-r/195368
    "Youth and vigor is no match for age and deceit." -- Prancer

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lala View Post
    First of all i don't like the law.

But I have some questions:
    -What is the difference between the OG and the Athletic World Championships?
    -How many people were arrested in Moscow ?
    -How many people were deported in three-for days ?
    This is what I also don't like, when the people exaggerate.
    Well the world athletic championships aren't over yet!

The prestige is different. Even if nothing goes wrong in the WAC the Olympics are much bigger.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
    Those on the USA team who support gay rights should wear "We Support Gay Rights" buttons. Sex goes on in the Olympic Village (remember the brouhaha the year condoms were first provided). I wonder what will happen if a gay or lesbian couple are caught in the act.
    But, that would be playing into Russia's hands. The IOC has rules that the Olympics cannot be used to express political agendas. If athletes do that, they get sanctioned by the IOC. Then Russia just sits back and lets the IOC do their dirty work. I don't think the IOC wants to penalize LGBT athletes, but if they protest or make political statements, the IOC would have no choice. It's a "no win" situation. I don't think anything would happen if two athletes were "caught in the act", in a private place. If they were "caught in the act" in a public place, who knows...

I think that, while I would want to make a point myself, it would be best for the athletes to just go and compete. Try not to engage the psychos enforcing these laws and not get themselves hurt or disqualified. Let the foreign media tell the story. I would even suggest that the media who are in Sochi be very careful with their reporting. Let the editorializing and protesting take place on US, Canadian, UK, etc. soil, where they cannot be hurt. If LGBT athletes, visitors, media are arrested or beaten, that would be awful.

vCash
    International Olympic Committee Forbids Athletes to Speak Against Russian Antigay Laws
    The IOC claims the Olympics' own rules bars athletes from showing support of the LGBT community at the upcoming Winter Games in Sochi.
    http://www.advocate.com/politics/201...ussian-antigay

vCash
    And we have to hope that the IOC does not allow Russia to promote their anti-gay propaganda. That any athlete that expresses hate toward a gay athlete, spectator, media person, is disqualified.

vCash
    http://www.timesofisrael.com/will-ol...medium=twitter

Will Olympics in Russia be a second ‘Nazi Games’?
    Rising anti-gay violence and repressive new laws are drawing comparisons between Sochi 2014 and Berlin 1936

By MATT LEBOVIC August 13, 2013, 5:54 pm

EDIT: via Twitter...

Joe Sudbay ‏@JoeSudbay 5m
    Olympians Johnny Weir And Megan Rapinoe: We’re Concerned More About Gay Russians (Video): http://thenewcivilrightsmovement.com...13/08/13/73076 … via @gaycivilrights
    EDIT2:

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.p...31776893512568

Official Gregory Louganis Fan Page

Excerpt:

I am getting a lot of criticism from the LGBT community about my stance of no boycott, and making a statement of solidarity to dedicate a performance to the LGBT children born in Russia, who's crime is being born in a country who legitimizes hate.

I have a question for those critical of my views, without the Olympics who would "Greg Louganis" be? Would I have the voice to speak up and speak out? To make a difference?
    Last edited by dardar1126; 08-13-2013 at 09:58 PM.

vCash
    Is anyone actually excited about the Sochi Olympics at this point? All of this mess has certainly dampened my enthusiasm. I feel like a such a black cloud is hanging over the event.
    "I hit him with my shoes... if he had given me the medal like I told him to, I wouldn't have had to hit him!" -- 8-year-old Rhoda Penmark in "The Bad Seed"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by caseyedwards View Post
    Well the world athletic championships aren't over yet!

The prestige is different. Even if nothing goes wrong in the WAC the Olympics are much bigger.
    No one will hurt anybody in Moscow.

If I understand well, the law is not attacking the gays, but the gay propaganda. If you are an adult, you can do whatever you want in your bedroom, they do not care.
    And certainly they are very proud of Tchaikovsky, and the gay ballet dancers, etc..

"Russian Ministry of Internal Affairs (police): "The law is in apply in Russian Federation regardless. Nevertheless we'd like to clarify that the law is against persons who encourage minors to engage into non-traditional sexual relationships. The persons carrying out such activities will be liable in accordance with the laws of the Russian Federation .If homosexual athletes do not commit such acts towards children, then law enforcement cannot have any questions."

I understand the gays, who think they have similar rights than the heteros, but if they don't want fight for their rights in a foreign country,there will be nothing.

I don't defend the law, as I said, I don't like the exaggeration.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugar View Post
    Russia may be 1st Olympic host to ever threaten to jail Olympians
    http://americablog.com/2013/08/russi...-2014-gay.html
    That seems like a slightly strange thing to say, since they're only threatening to jail those who violate the laws. Presumably any Olympic host city would do so. Of course I'm totally against this law as almost everyone here seems to be and wish that it didn't exist, and would be upset to see anyone jailed or otherwise in trouble for violating it.

vCash
    Nevertheless we'd like to clarify that the law is against persons who encourage minors to engage into non-traditional sexual relationships.
    Should we understand that people causing or inciting children to engage in sexual relations, whether traditional or non-traditional, had never been punished in Russia under their criminal law before this new law was passed last June by the Russian Parliament?
    Btw, can anyone explain why homosexual relations were defined as non-traditional? Because the way I see it, homosexual relations are as much of a tradition among gay people as heterosexual relations are among straight people. Did the legislator perhaps want to avoid the words 'minority' and 'majority'?

No one will probably hurt anyone in Sochi either but do we have any guarantees no one will hurt anyone after Sochi? But I am no gay living in Russia, so perhaps I shouldn't care, it's none of my business after all. And if I run into scenes of violence on TV or the Internet against the gay Russians in their own country that go unpunished by the local authorities, I'm assuming I can go to bed with a clean conscience by saying to myself "Well, this is the Russian culture and I am supposed to respect the values of other nations. Good night, folks!''

vCash
    lala, what is gay propaganda? What "encourages" minors into "non-traditional sexual relationships." What is defined as a "non-traditional sexual relationship?"

vCash
    Olympic Sponsors Stand By Sochi Games As Criticism Of Anti-Gay Law Mounts
    http://www.buzzfeed.com/maxseddon/ol...cism-of-anti-g
    Coca-Cola and McDonalds condemned Russia’s new law banning public LGBT advocacy Tuesday. But they aren’t calling on Vladimir Putin’s government to repeal it before February’s Games.

The widening international story, though, began to sweep in the sponsors Tuesday as Kenneth Roth, the president of Human Rights Watch, called on Olympic sponsors to pressure the Russian government to repeal the law.

“Companies that are concerned about their image with consumers are not going to want to be associated with a gay-bashing exercise – the commercial advantages are going to be completely undone,” Roth told BuzzFeed. “Olympic sponsors make enormous investments by being associated with the Sochi Olympics. They don’t want to be part of a debacle.”

vCash
    McDonalds is the devil! If there was ever a company to boycott...

vCash
    Support human rights, punish Sochi sponsors
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...ochi-sponsors/

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lala View Post

If I understand well, the law is not attacking the gays, but the gay propaganda. If you are an adult, you can do whatever you want in your bedroom, they do not care.
    And certainly they are very proud of Tchaikovsky, and the gay ballet dancers, etc..

"Russian Ministry of Internal Affairs (police): "The law is in apply in Russian Federation regardless. Nevertheless we'd like to clarify that the law is against persons who encourage minors to engage into non-traditional sexual relationships. The persons carrying out such activities will be liable in accordance with the laws of the Russian Federation .If homosexual athletes do not commit such acts towards children, then law enforcement cannot have any questions."

I understand the gays, who think they have similar rights than the heteros, but if they don't want fight for their rights in a foreign country,there will be nothing.

I don't defend the law, as I said, I don't like the exaggeration.
    The bold underlined part above says a lot about you. How wonderful to have so much love in your heart...
    I guess the hard thing for a lot of people to accept is why God would allow me to go running through their yards, yelling and spinning around.

vCash
    This thread is so close to being locked right? Time for sugar to start part 2!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozzisk8tr View Post
    The bold underlined part above says a lot about you. How wonderful to have so much love in your heart...
    I'm not sure that Lala isn't dealing with a language barrier. Benefit of the doubt? Or am I being naive?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cruisin View Post
    I'm not sure that Lala isn't dealing with a language barrier. Benefit of the doubt? Or am I being naive?
    Naive in the absolute best way. Innocence is so cute, especially in the young. (Don't shatter my illusions and tell me you're over 22 now)
    I guess the hard thing for a lot of people to accept is why God would allow me to go running through their yards, yelling and spinning around.

Page 51 of 52 FirstFirst ... 4149505152 LastLast