Page 22 of 52 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

vCash
    The Olympic Village in Sochi will be like all the others, segregated from the people so the press and tourists don't see what is really happening. The organizers always find a nice area to build the village and hotels, knowing that is where the press, families and tourists will stay and they will avoid seeing the poverty of the countries or what is really happening.

vCash
    36 Photos From Russia That Everyone Needs To See
    It’s a scary place for LGBT people in Russia right now.
    http://www.buzzfeed.com/mjs538/photo...e-needs-to-see
    Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm - Ralph Waldo Emerson

vCash
    It's starting to get a lot of traction on social media. Whether or not you like the timing or the fact that t doesn't put any attention on other abuses or that it's slightly hypocritical, I think it's good people are paying attention. Nothing will come of it, but I don't think people should ignore it or think it's not important because the Olympic village is supposedly safe.

Banned Member
    vCash
    I have followed this issue somewhat closely for quite some time, trying to be aware of human and gay rights issues in Russia as much as I am able, as it relates to the Sochi Games.

Based on what I have read about these issues, I have had to make an unfortunate, but what I hope is a principled decision.

That decision is to boycott this Olympics.

I will not watch. I will not support the US television stations that will broadcast. I will check results through ESPN, but I won't be able to support the ISU enough to use their website. They support the Russian Federation, which is controlled by this homophobic government with policies from the Dark Ages.

I will miss the figure skating, the hockey tournament and everything else, but my sensibilities as a gay man can not tolerate exposure to a culture so anti-gay and accept the place as the world's playground for two weeks. I can not enjoy while others are oppressed and suffering in the same region as the Olympics at the same time as the Olympics. I can't watch a Games where if I were to visit as a spectator, I would be at risk of losing my freedom.

Screw Russia, and screw the IOC. They will not get my support, even if it was to be only viewing on television.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PairSk8Fan View Post
    I have followed this issue somewhat closely for quite some time, trying to be aware of human and gay rights issues in Russia as much as I am able, as it relates to the Sochi Games.

Based on what I have read about these issues, I have had to make an unfortunate, but what I hope is a principled decision.

That decision is to boycott this Olympics.

I will not watch. I will not support the US television stations that will broadcast. I will check results through ESPN, but I won't be able to support the ISU enough to use their website. They support the Russian Federation, which is controlled by this homophobic government with policies from the Dark Ages.

I will miss the figure skating, the hockey tournament and everything else, but my sensibilities as a gay man can not tolerate exposure to a culture so anti-gay and accept the place as the world's playground for two weeks. I can not enjoy while others are oppressed and suffering in the same region as the Olympics at the same time as the Olympics. I can't watch a Games where if I were to visit as a spectator, I would be at risk of losing my freedom.

Screw Russia, and screw the IOC. They will not get my support, even if it was to be only viewing on television.
    Did you feel that way during the summer Olympics in China in 2008?

vCash
    Well, nobody's perfect. People have their own limits of what they can tolerate/ignore. I don't get why people are being so aggressive about what other people care about. Yes, people have a point when they point out the dirty laundry of a particular country and how people didn't make as big fuss over it. However, does it make this particular situation any better? Different things resonate with different people.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugar View Post
    36 Photos From Russia That Everyone Needs To See
    It’s a scary place for LGBT people in Russia right now.
    http://www.buzzfeed.com/mjs538/photo...e-needs-to-see

Incredibly sad what's happening to the LGBT community in Russia!! Look at all those racist homophobes?? A bunch of hyenas that's what they are.

I wonder what some of these gay skaters think about this whole situation. I mean at some point, if they are aspiring to make the Olympics, they have to be aware of it. Does it sting on a personal or moral level? or maybe they just don't care because it's not happening to them?

The silence is resounding

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dardar1126 View Post
    Yes, I expect that the Olympic Village will be a kind of "Fantasy Island"...a separate unreality to the actual, real lives of LGBT Russians, and the danger and threats that they live with every single freaking day.

But what about the LGBT tourists? They can't hide out in the village, they can't avoid interacting with the real Russia. So, if LGBT tourists go to Sochi, they'd better watch their backs!
    This. I still haven't decided if I'm going to sell my tickets... The one coach I know fairly well who is affected by this situation said he feels pretty safe since he'll be pretty isolated the whole time. I'm not so sure my husband and I will feel the same way.

vCash
    Twitter:

Towleroad ‏@tlrd 7m
    Lansing, MI May Cut Ties With St. Petersburg Over Anti-Gay Policies http://tlrd.us/16YBoIi

vCash
    I just have a bad feeling about what may happen. Can't base it on anything...it's just there.

Banned Member
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    Did you feel that way during the summer Olympics in China in 2008?
    Sigh. Another attempt by a stranger to try and make another person appear to be hypocritcal. Sigh. I find it unnecessarily provocative. However Jammers, I will respond.

I have mentioned before that I am aware of China's record and made efforts to change my personal life by checking labels and reducing the "Made In China" content of my own home and life over the years.

In regard to the Beijing Olympics, I did not watch any of it. Only the local news clips of Michael Phelps, which I could not avoid. The reason I did not watch? The reports of the entire work population being treated like slaves, poisoned with pollution and then kicked out of the city for the big party. Not to mention prior incidents such as students being murdered in T. Square, etc.

I will not watch this time either.

vCash
    LGBT citizens are faring poorly in most of the old Soviet bloc:

http://www.hrc.org/blog/entry/moldov...propaganda-law

Moldova Secretly Passed Anti-LGBT Propaganda Law
    July 24, 2013 by Maureen McCarty, Online Content and Marketing Manager

Excerpt:

Earlier this month, Moldova quietly followed in the footsteps of Russia and Lithuania after politicians passed an anti-LGBT “propaganda” law, making illegal the distribution of public information about "any other relations than those related to marriage or family."

In order to avoid scrutiny, politicians discussed and amended the Contravention Code in secret and did not inform the public of its deliberations, according to European Parliament’s Intergroup on LGBT Rights.
    Ukraine is currently debating a similar law.

And just the other day there were violent clashes at the gay pride event in Montenegro. Sad and dangerous times!

EDIT: via Twitter...

The Associated Press ‏@AP 33m
    Hundreds shouting "Kill the gays" attack activists at gay pride event in Montenegro: http://apne.ws/1bgLPyz -MM
    EDIT2:

PinkNews ‏@pinknews 26m
    Petition calls for British boycott of Russian Winter Olympics because of anti-gay laws http://p.ink.cx/14HQS7A
    Last edited by dardar1126; 07-24-2013 at 05:47 PM.

vCash
    State of intolerance: Gays and lesbians could be arrested at Sochi Winter Olympics under new Russian anti-gay law
    http://www.nypost.com/p/news/interna...OWZthWuOwXsZaI

vCash
    Another take on the situation.

Not sure what Javi will think about having his picture accompany the article...

Banned Member
    vCash
    What will Javi do when his gay coach Orser is jailed in Sochi for having a "rainbow" trading pin or for having an effeminite voice while coaching or talking? What if they also jail Javi because they "suspect" that he "loves" Brian Orser?

The numerous scenarios that can be imagined are horrible.

I think only a protest in Sochi of such huge numbers as to make jailing them all impossible would be the only way to protest effectively. Otherwise, the protests can be ignored, pushed into the media background and ineffective.

Best to make a huge protest, or nothing.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveRocks View Post
    Another take on the situation.
    I quite agree with the writer. When it is a shame that anyone, athelets or spectactors, should be worried about violence against them in Sochi, boycotting or keeping away would be giving in to the idotical laws. Whatever the GLBT and pro GLTB figure skating fans will do, is up to them. I totally understand not taking risks.
    But the GLTB and pro GLTB people are not wrong. Most of the Russians I know, via my job and figure skating, think similarily.

vCash
    http://thinkprogress.org/sports/2013...-law-olympics/

A Preview Of What Awaits LGBT Fans And Athletes At Russia’s 2014 Olympics
    By Travis Waldron on Jul 24, 2013 at 12:09 pm

Excerpt:

Less than seven months before the 2014 Winter Olympics will kick off in Sochi, Russia, the country has deported four Dutch tourists for violating its new anti-gay law that bans “homosexual propaganda.” The tourists were filming a documentary about the law, which Russian president Vladimir Putin signed in June. They were fined and banned from Russia for three years.

The deportations should be a wake-up call to the International Olympic Committee and FIFA, international soccer’s governing body, ahead of the Winter Olympics and the 2018 World Cup that Russia will also host, since they could paint a picture of what LGBT athletes and fans may face during both events. And it isn’t just deportations and fines. Those fans and athletes could also face violence from anti-gay activists, much as gay rights supporters have during marches and pride events across the country.

vCash
    A vote against a boycott:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/patrickburke...edium=buzzfeed

Don’t Boycott Sochi: Use The Olympics To Change The World
    You Can Play Project co-founder Patrick Burke writes that out LGBT and “publicly pro-gay” people should not boycott the Sochi games despite Russia’s anti-LGBT environment and laws. “Show the world that there are elite LGBT athletes who are not afraid to be themselves, on and off the playing field,” he writes in this BuzzFeed op-ed.

posted on July 24, 2013 at 2:44pm EDT

Patrick Burke
    BuzzFeed Contributor

vCash
    NHL stands up for LGBT rights – so why no boycott of the Sochi Olympics?
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisf...sochi-olympics
    Given that the NHL is partnered with You Can Play, you'd think it would think twice about a country which attacks gay rights

vCash
    I doubt any big named athletes or TPTB would use the Olympics as a platform. They're more worried about their prospective events and any future earning potential. It'd be nice if they did, but the cynic in me thinks they'll only do it if it proves positive for their image. Of course I would love to be wrong.

Page 22 of 52 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast