Page 19 of 52 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Openly gay Broadway star weighs in:

http://thenewcivilrightsmovement.com...13/07/15/71089

Harvey Fierstein: ‘Boycott The Winter Olympics — Our Brothers And Sisters In Russia Need Us NOW!’
    by DAVID BADASH on JULY 15, 2013

Excerpt:

Tony Award-winning actor, playwright, and LGBT activist Harvey Fierstein is urging people to boycott the Winter Olympics in Russia because of Vladimir Putin‘s anti-gay laws that essentially make anything LGBT a crime.

“It’s time to start paying attention to what’s going on in Russia in case you haven’t yet,” Fierstein said in a recent Facebook post.

vCash
    Johnny Weir-Voronov ‏@JohnnyGWeir 39m
    Propaganda. Pray for our friends in Russia. @ Sofitel Los Angeles http://instagram.com/p/b2UOWRBhVd/

Johnny had included a photo of him kissing his husband in Russia but he deleted the tweet and retweeted "Pray for our friends in Russia" minus the picture.
    Last edited by judiz; 07-17-2013 at 04:23 AM.

vCash
    Looks like Russia is going back to the good old days of the Soviet Union sending people to the gulag who dare to speak out. Maybe someday they will enter the 20th century since they still seem to be in the 19th century. But then Putin was a KGB officer so freedom of speak was never big on his list.

vCash
    Senator Lindsey Graham (who most likely doesn't care about gay rights) suggests boycotting the Olympics for a different reason:

http://nbcpolitics.nbcnews.com/_news...en-asylum?lite

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by missing View Post
    Senator Lindsey Graham (who most likely doesn't care about gay rights) suggests boycotting the Olympics for a different reason:

If Obama or the USOC boycotts they need their ass kicked. Leave the politics at home. Graham likes to Grandstand.

vCash

Regardless of how one feels about Snowden and his actions...
    "I love the Olympics, but I hate what the Russian government is doing throughout the world," Sen. Lindsey Graham, R-S.C., told NBC News on Tuesday. "If they give asylum to a person who I believe has committed treason against the United States, that's taking it to a new level."
    "If you could go back in time, would you have allowed Adolf Hitler to host the Olympics in Germany? To have the propaganda coup of inviting the world into Nazi Germany and putting on a false front?" Graham said of the Games.
    "I'm not saying that Russia is Nazi Germany," Graham added, "but I am saying that the Russian government is empowering some of the most evil, hateful people in the world."
    If you don't want people to think you're drawing parallels to Nazi Germany, Senator Graham, then don't bring up Nazi Germany as an example. And really, of all the issues to criticize when it comes to Russian policy, that's the absolute worst?

vCash
    Let it be known that I don't indulge in gossip... but are we talking about Marcus Bachmann's bff?

This Lindsey Graham? http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...trait_2006.jpg

Err.. I thought it was common knowledge Senator Lindsey Graham was a closet case...

Will Aaron Schock make a statement too???

vCash
    John Coughlin has taken exception to Graham's threat on Twitter. Though his opinion is the US Government shouldn't be allowed to order a boycott, because they don't give the athletes enough support! Mark Ladwig is backing him up on it...

Blergh
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MissIzzy View Post
    John Coughlin has taken exception to Graham's threat on Twitter. Though his opinion is the US Government shouldn't be allowed to order a boycott, because they don't give the athletes enough support! Mark Ladwig is backing him up on it...
    Well, at least Coughlin is acknowledging his own self-interest in the matter. Did anyone really expect any athlete who has a shot at Sochi to be selfless in this regard?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Eyre View Post
    I don't think anything will happen on this regard at Sochi Olympics no matter how much you hope it to happen.
    Thanks Miss Cleo!

Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    If you ask me, the "ultimate issues" here are whether Russia's deplorable human rights record (1) warranted not awarding the Games to Sochi back in 2007 and (2) warrants boycotting the Games now. The treatment of gay people is only one aspect of this record.

As I mentioned in Post #178, Russia's record on gay rights was well known in 2007. As far as I remember and from what I have been able to find by hunting around on the Internet since this thread was started, gay-rights groups -- both inside and outside of Russia -- did not speak up during the bidding process. The time to speak up was then, and, in fact, other groups such as Greenpeace, the World Wildlife Federation, and organizations representing Circassians and local residents did speak up.

The Games could have been to awarded to some other city. Pyeongchang, which was the runnerup and which will host the Games in 2018, would have been a good choice. So would have Salzburg. But they were awarded to Sochi, and the athletes, NOC's, federations, and organizers have all been preparing for the competitions.

In my opinion, it is myopic to suggest, with less than a year before the Games, that some new legislation, which is in fact of a piece with Russia's overall treatment of gay people, somehow changes things to such an extent that athletes should be expected to boycott. If, on the other hand, fans choose not to travel to Russia precisely because of the legislation, I certainly understand and respect their decision.

History doesn't begin when one individual becomes conscious of current events.

People and organizations have been actively and publicly fighting for gay rights since before the Stonewall Riots in 1969. If you ask me, the only things new about LGBT activism in the past three years are (1) its focus on marriage, (2) a measure of success in legal recognition of gay marriage and in public acceptance of gay people as an integral part of the larger community, and (3) the participation of certain individuals.

The gay-rights movement was hardly quiescent back in 2007 (or even farther back in 1974 and 1980 -- but this thread is really about Sochi rather than Moscow). The International Lesbian, Gay, Bi, Trans and Intersex Association was founded in 1978. The The International Gay & Lesbian Human Rights Commission was founded in 1990. The The International Lesbian & Gay Law Association was founded in 1999. LGBT Human Rights Project GayRussia was founded in 2005. The Russian LGBT Network was founded in 2006.

As far as I can tell, these organizations didn't do anything back in 2007 to advocate for awarding the 2014 Games to some other city than Sochi. What's more, they don't seem to think a possible boycott merits any discussion on their websites!

I am sure that there were LGBTQQI individuals involved in the anti-Sochi lobbying by Greenpeace and those other groups back in 2007, but there is a difference between arguing on environmental grounds that the Games should not be held in Sochi and arguing that on gay-rights grounds that they should not be held there (or should be boycotted). There is also a difference between the actions of one gay man and an entire gay-rights organization.

Now, when gay-rights groups say that they have a common struggle with the Circassians and Russian journalists, I will have a different view of the matter.

Having said that, I do think that this post

reflects, at the very least a total lack of understanding of what danceronice was saying -- that the Soviets oppressed millions of people and many different groups inside and outside their country. Whether it also reflects a lack of caring on your part for those who had their rights and cultural identities trammeled by the Soviets, I will leave for you to determine..
    All I can say is this:

It is never a bad time to start caring about others. If the generation before us didn't do squat, it doesn't mean you have to give up on them as well.

Should I stop worrying about child trafficking just because it keeps happening? I'm sorry, but I can't.

Should I stop worrying about the horrible mistreatment of aquatic animals by Seaworld just because it keeps happening? I'm sorry, but I can't.

Should I stop worrying about women's rights just because of what is happening in Texas? I'm sorry, but I can't.

Should I stop worrying about the LGBT(Q) community in Russia just because they have been ignored in the past? Absolutely not! I would even marry a hot Russian !

Quote Originally Posted by Visaliakid View Post
    New Russian Anti-Gay Law May Wreak Havoc on International Sporting Events in Russia
    Source, International Competitive Figure Skating – Issues and Events
    Visaliakid. I just realized you and I are not that far away! #representCentralCali

Quote Originally Posted by judiz View Post
    The biggest problem Russia had to tackle is its orphanages which are understaffed and overcrowded, where babies go for days without being held and older kids have to fight over toys, food and attention from staff.
    The situation sounds deplorable. This is probably where most of the child [trafficking]victims come from {??}. I watched a few documentaries about the situation in Russia, and it was so so sad. The change has to come from within Russia.

vCash

He gives reason for boycotting games held in US, after all US (not Russia) is snooping on rest of the world.

vCash

What a clown!

Quote Originally Posted by dots View Post
    Let it be known that I don't indulge in gossip... but are we talking about Marcus Bachmann's bff?

This Lindsey Graham? http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...trait_2006.jpg

Err.. I thought it was common knowledge Senator Lindsey Graham was a closet case...

Will Aaron Schock make a statement too???
    Gossip much?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Domshabfan View Post
    He gives reason for boycotting games held in US, after all US (not Russia) is snooping on rest of the world.
    @ Russia not snooping on the rest of the world. Every country does it including all countries we call democratic. It's what intelligence agencies are paid to do to keep the country safe and you would have to be naive to not think this isn't being done. Big difference is countries like China or North Korea where there is no free speech to begin with including the internet.
    Last edited by Jammers; 07-18-2013 at 02:43 PM.

vCash

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    @ Russia not snooping on the rest of the world. Every country does it including all countries we call democratic. It's what intelligence agencies are paid to do to keep the country safe and you would have to be naive to not think this isn't being done. Big difference is countries like China or North Korea where there is no free speech to begin with including the internet.
    Nobody else has the financial might to actually carry out such a large scale snooping... As of now, what we know is US is only country doing it, and teh rest is an assumption. Just because you got caught in the act does not actually make others countries equally guilty of snooping (Which they may be doing, but no definite proof of this taking place).

As for human rights, I have heard americans going great length to say so much against Russia... In fact especially now, I don't see US is much different when it comes to rights of minority groups. The trial of Zimmerman raises several severe questions... especially race relation. Several US states have sadly introduced laws similar to stand your ground law.On the other subject, US politicians are criticising Muslim brotherhood for trying to impose Sharia, however very same politicians seem to be happy to support abortion bans because according to them their faith does not allow abortions (so they are trying to introduce a Christian version of sharia)... US is not doing great when it comes basic rights of its citizen...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lala View Post
    Johnny wrote a very good blog...I'm very impressed!

vCash
    WOW, my goes to Johnny! Very wise blog. I also feel that it is ok to be critical to a goverment - Russian, Finnish, Iraqian, whatever - but it does not mean that you dislike the people in that country.

vCash
    i hate not being able to delete posts.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Senator Graham
    "If you could go back in time, would you have allowed Adolf Hitler to host the Olympics in Germany? To have the propaganda coup of inviting the world into Nazi Germany and putting on a false front?" Graham said of the Games.
    Someone tell Mr. Graham that back then, Hitler was allowed to host the Olympics in Germany. Yes, it was before the start of WWII, but the Nazi machine was already going strong.

from 1936 Summer Games wiki page:

Hitler saw the Games as an opportunity to promote his government and ideals of racial supremacy, and the official Nazi party paper, the Völkischer Beobachter wrote in the strongest terms that Jews and Black people should not be allowed to participate in the Games. However, when threatened with a boycott of the Games by other nations, he relented and allowed Black people and Jews to participate, and added one token participant to the German team—a German woman, Helene Mayer, who had a Jewish father. At the same time, the party removed signs stating "Jews not wanted" and similar slogans from the city's main tourist attractions. In an attempt to "clean up" Berlin, the German Ministry of the Interior authorized the chief of police to arrest all Romani (Gypsies) and keep them in a "special camp," the Berlin-Marzahn concentration camp.

Quote Originally Posted by Zemgirl
    If you don't want people to think you're drawing parallels to Nazi Germany, Senator Graham, then don't bring up Nazi Germany as an example. And really, of all the issues to criticize when it comes to Russian policy, that's the absolute worst?

Personally, I would prefer the games taking place somewhere else, there were already so many human rights violations when they were selling Sochi. But IOC chose them and we know they don't care about anything but money, the IOC is one profoundly corrupted organization, morally bankrupt. There's also the question that it seems it's too late now to do anything. And, of course, the athletes want to compete!

Maybe petitioning to the big corporations who sponsor the games is the most practical idea?
    Last edited by crankyintheAM; 07-18-2013 at 06:40 PM.

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    i hate not being able to delete posts.
    Your own posts? You can (kind of).
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

Page 19 of 52 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast