Page 16 of 52 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast
    Canadian ladies über
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by caseyedwards View Post
    There is a major athletic event in august in Moscow. So It can be seen there if Russia uses that event as a pretext just to harass homosexuals.
    There's a major sporting event going on in Russia right now - the World University Games in Kazan.

Wandering Goy
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Morry Stillwell View Post
    Russia has made no statements that they intend to ban anyone. They Olympic Village will be safe for everyone.
    Munich. 1972. Remember? I'm sure the organizers of those Games thought the Olympic Village was safe there too.

And, though I was very young at the time, I don't believe either the chief political official or the legislative body of West Germany were passing laws or instituting anti-Jewish or anti-Israeli propaganda less than a year before the start of the Games there. Does anyone else?

By the way, I sincerely hope the former men's champions of your beloved organization, Mr. Weir-Voronov and Mr. Galindo, find out about your remarks here and personally call you to task for them.
    "Skating fans are not a patient bunch." Dragonlady

vCash
    By the way, I sincerely hope the former men's champions of your beloved organization, Mr. Weir-Voronov and Mr. Galindo, find out about your remarks here and personally call you to task for them.[/QUOTE]

Mr. Galindo is a skating friend of mine for many years. We have no such issues and if there were, he would certainly tell me. He has become a great coach it great to see him at competitions.

It has been my personal observation that Mr. Wier has been treated very well in Russia to the point where he has worn a Russian Jackedt during Grand Prix practice sessions.

You seem to be reaching quite a bit on this issue since Munich had noting to do with the issues you are addressing.
    Morry Stillwell

Blergh
    vCash

Mr. Galindo is a skating friend of mine for many years. We have no such issues and if there were, he would certainly tell me. He has become a great coach it great to see him at competitions.

It has been my personal observation that Mr. Wier has been treated very well in Russia to the point where he has worn a Russian Jackedt during Grand Prix practice sessions.

You seem to be reaching quite a bit on this issue since Munich had noting to do with the issues you are addressing.
    Mr. Stillwell, I am curious as to what your feelings would be had Russia pass the same law but instead of it targeting homosexuals, if it instead targeted people by race, religion, ethnicity, gender, and national origin.

Yes, no one was banned, but it's not as if Russia didn't do something highly discriminatory and ostracizing to a population of people.

I find that the difference in attitudes is because LGBTQ individuals are still seen by many as a group that doesn't need or should be afforded protection the way people are protected by other attributes.
    Last edited by VIETgrlTerifa; 07-06-2013 at 12:44 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post
    I find that the difference in attitudes is because LGBTQ individuals are still seen by many as a group that doesn't need or should be afforded protection the way people are protected by other attributes.
    This.
    "I hit him with my shoes... if he had given me the medal like I told him to, I wouldn't have had to hit him!" -- 8-year-old Rhoda Penmark in "The Bad Seed"

vCash
    If anything, this whole mess highlights the lack of character of certain skaters.

The poor LGBT community in Russia fighting tooth and nail for their given human rights. Yet here in America certain err... athletes will have a meltdown if someone outs them. "Oh but I'm so ashamed . I don't want people to know who I really am!"

It puts things into perspective...

Russia has made no statements that they intend to ban anyone. They Olympic Village will be safe for everyone.

The way you dismiss this issue is quite unnerving.

"Oh, it'll be fine I'm sure. It's just the locals that have to worry..." Right Morry?

vCash
    Now take a look at these two pics and tell me everyone will be safe...

http://cdn.theatlantic.com/static/mt...gay-banner.jpg

http://s1.ibtimes.com/sites/www.ibti...-gay-pride.jpg

that poor young gay You just know he's about to get a royal ass kicking.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post
    Mr. Stillwell, I am curious as to what your feelings would be had Russia pass the same law but instead of it targeting homosexuals, if it instead targeted people by race, religion, ethnicity, gender, and national origin.

Yes, no one was banned, but it's not as if Russia didn't do something highly discriminatory and ostracizing to a population of people.

I support protection for any group that is singled out for persecution. But you have drifted away from the original discussion

I have not entered in that argument because the Olympic Village is a separate entity with its own protections, from the IOC and Federation Security. My only objection, voiced in all my posts is that trying for a boycott would hurt all athletes. If a person for any reason does not wish to participate then the should inform their Federation so that they can be replaced.

Finally, there will be no boycott by any IOC Federation/
    Morry Stillwell

Blergh
    vCash
    I'm only asking when you would think it would be ok to have a boycott, if ever. I'm asking because you've taken a hardline stance that no boycott should take place because your first priority is to the athletes and what they want.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dots View Post
    Now take a look at these two pics and tell me everyone will be safe...

http://cdn.theatlantic.com/static/mt...gay-banner.jpg

http://s1.ibtimes.com/sites/www.ibti...-gay-pride.jpg

that poor young gay You just know he's about to get a royal ass kicking.
    I cannot read Russian, but my guess is that it proves that if you go looking for trouble you wll find it. This no in the olymplc venue
    Morry Stillwell

Blergh
    vCash
    I cannot read Russian, but my guess is that it proves that if you go looking for trouble you wll find it. This no in the olymplc venue
    Wow.

vCash
    Much of that was before he was officially out. And while here in the West he was never really in; when he came out, I know there were fans in Russia who were genuinely shocked(maybe a bit of denial there, but anyway...). And he did get a scare last time he traveled to Russia this fall. The Olympics are high-profile enough that gay athletes might be safe going there, but you just don't know...

vCash
    it proves that if you go looking for trouble you will find it .

This tells me all I needed to know about you.

May you always be blessed and never find yourself in a similar situation.

vCash
    I cannot read Russian, but my guess is that it proves that if you go looking for trouble you wll find it.
    While I generally agree with your stance on the Olympics issue, this comment is just so heartless.

vCash
    I cannot read Russian, but my guess is that it proves that if you go looking for trouble you wll find it.
    Or maybe, just maybe, he was standing up for his rights, protesting for equality? Do you think we should all just sit back and watch while inequality reigns, rather than make our voices heard in the hope of moving forward?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by danafan View Post
    There's a major sporting event going on in Russia right now - the World University Games in Kazan.
    Interesting. Kazan is a big mix of orthodox and Islam.

If Russia passed a law saying Jewish rallies are banned and you can't teach kids it's ok to be Jewish then probably that would mean so much negative consequences that absolutely it surely never would be passed and if it was maybe a boycott. But then again lots of nations were fine with talking to Iran when ahmadinjad ran it. But the issue of boycott was tested with Moscow and it was failure. What did that do?

vCash
    I think to boycott or not to boycott should be a decision left up to the individual athletes rather than a country wide decision.

vCash
    http://www.advocate.com/politics/201...moscow-kremlin

Actress Tilda Swinton Poses With Rainbow Flag in Front of Moscow Kremlin
    The Academy Award-winning actress shows her support of Russia’s LGBT community by posting a photo of herself holding a rainbow flag in Moscow.
    BY Jase Peeples
    July 06 2013 2:53 PM ET

Academy Award-winning actress Tilda Swinton bravely posed for a photo in front of the Moscow Kremlin holding a rainbow flag, showing her support for Russia’s LGBT community.

The photo was reportedly shared by Swinton’s representative, Christian Hodell, along with the request, “Please share this message from Tilda: ‘In solidarity. From Russia with love’.”

The passing of Russia’s so-called “gay propaganda” legislation, which was recently signed into law by President Vladimir Putin and bans public LGBT demonstrations and discussions, means Swinton could face a jail sentence of 15 days and deportation for simply posing with a rainbow flag in public according to the new law.

The newly adopted antigay legislation also states any individual using mass media or the Internet to share information about LGBT identities can be subject to fines up to 100,000 rubles ($3,050 USD), while officials are subject to fines twice that amount, and legal entities face a 1 million ruble fine or 90-day suspension for discussing LGBT people.

Additionally, Russian president Vladimir Putin also signed a bill earlier this week barring same-sex couples from foreign countries from adopting Russian children.

Picture: http://www.advocate.com/sites/advoca...s/Tilda_RT.jpg
    Last edited by dardar1126; 07-07-2013 at 05:36 AM.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    And those blacks, or Afro-Americans (or whatever they like to call themselves these days) back in the 60's? They were even WORSE! Trouble-makers personified!

/sarcasm
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dots View Post
    If anything, this whole mess highlights the lack of character of certain skaters.
    The poor LGBT community in Russia fighting tooth and nail for their given human rights. Yet here in America certain err... athletes will have a meltdown if someone outs them. "Oh but I'm so ashamed . I don't want people to know who I really am!"
    Who are 'the certain skaters'? I think it's not fair to call them 'lack of character' just because they didn't come out to support the boycott. That's their priority to make. Having said this, kudos to those who decided to support the cause by forgoing their participation in Sochi.
    Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them. – Publilius Syrus

Page 16 of 52 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast