Page 11 of 52 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
    AYS's snark-sponge
    vCash
    I think that this legislation won't affect the Sochi Olympics. Russia is going to want Sochi to go off well and they will not enforce this law without provocation at the Olympics.

And while gay rights are of particular concern to a lot of us here, as long as there is no harassment of gay athletes and visitors, this is a political issue like any other that comes up in regards to the country hosting the Olympics. There is no more or less reason for this one to be protested at the Olympics by athletes than the issues that concerned people regarding Beijing or SLC, for that matter.
    Congratulations 2014 World Ice Dance Champions Anna Cappellini & Luca Lanotte!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dots View Post
    However, I have never seen someone getting gay bashed? I don't know how I would react to something like that.
    I've never seem someone actually gay bashed...although my late gay roommate and a friend of his were once hit while they were waiting at a bus stop in San Francisco.

And a bus stop was where I (who am not gay), that same roommate and some other gay friends were involved in a homophobic verbal attack...also in San Francisco. We were waiting for the bus and just talking and being silly when this young Hispanic man began verbally abusing us and getting all up in my roomie's face. Now my friend Greg was short and slight of build, but he was a little bulldog, so he gave it right back to this much bigger guy. And, of course, I was madder than a wet hen! The Hispanic man's gf tried to rein him in before it went too far. Luckily the bus came and we were able to avoid a physical altercation. But I can tell you we were all shaken by the incident.

My friend had been verbally and physically assaulted all through his school years.
    Last edited by dardar1126; 06-15-2013 at 12:57 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Proustable View Post
    I expect most, if not all, gay people have had first hand experience with gay bashing.
    I don't know know how we're defining "bashing" but even if most gay people have experienced bashing either in the "mildest" or harshest sense, I don't think it would make it any less traumatic if they see it first-hand at the Olympics.

Choice is an illusion
    vCash
    Have read just a few last pages...While I agree with most of the statements, I believe Sochi will actually be the safest place for gays in Russia during Olympics. Because it will be seen and watched by the whole world. Try being gay, living with the partner 3000 km away from Sochi at that time. Anyone is welcome to Surgut.

And guys, are you serious about buying Russian made products? I don't but them, why would you

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dardar1126 View Post
    My friend had been verbally and physically assaulted all through his school years.
    Wow.. that must be hell of a rough school!

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar
    Russian lawmakers pass anti-gay bill in 436-0 vote
    Looks like the parliament is clearly dominated by ultra conservatives and the Orthodox Church. Sad to see a minority further disadvantaged by such law. Hopefully, as Russia progresses with a big middle class and her people more exposed internationally, they will be more accepting and respectful of differences, and the anti-gay law may be repealed some day. Meanwhile, it is certainly not safe to openly gay in Russia with these laws in place.
    Last edited by spikydurian; 06-15-2013 at 03:33 PM.
    Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them. – Publilius Syrus

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by spikydurian View Post
    Looks like the parliament is clearly dominated by ultra conservatives and the Orthodox Church. Sad to see a minority further disadvantaged by such law. Hopefully, as Russia progresses with a big middle class and her people more exposed internationally, they will be more accepting and respectful of differences, and the anti-gay law may be repealed some day. Meanwhile, it is certainly not safe to openly gay in Russia with these laws in place.
    Not quite. The Russian parliament is dominated by a bunch of sore losers that vote as they are told. If Putin tells them to vote pro-gay, they'll vote pro-gay. Even though there are several different "parties" represented there, they do not seem to have their own opinion on a single issue and all vote according to Putin's orders. It would have been funny if it wasn't so sad.

Choice is an illusion
    vCash
    Hopefully, as Russia progresses with a big middle class and her people more exposed internationally, they will be more accepting and respectful of differences, and the anti-gay law may be repealed some day. Meanwhile, it is certainly not safe to openly gay in Russia with these laws in place.
    I know it's sad, but I am afraid I have to kill your hopes: most part of this so called "middle class", aged 30-40 are the core of the homophobic movement. They seriously believe there is a gay propaganda machine working on full power and that it should be stopped. While in reality there is no any kind of propaganda, there are mass media paying extra attention to the gay movement all over the world.

These people really believe that, for examples, scenes, like the one in Cloud Atlas, should be cut out of the movies, because they are insulting and not very pleasant to see. In this light, it is really surprising that the same people watch Game of Thrones and find Renly Baratheon and Loras Tyrell very pleasing characters.

I remember one episode from the news broadcast here a couple of months ago when France was about to pass the law on same sex marriage: the broadcasters were very serious in calling Netherlands a country where homosexualism has won and they cited some horrible statistics saying that children from same sex couples have sexually transmitted diseases more often (!), such children more often commit suicide (!!), and, finally, such children are more often suffering from depressions (!!!).

I don't know about you, guys, but I don't have any illusions about the future now.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FarFarAway View Post
    I know it's sad, but I am afraid I have to kill your hopes: most part of this so called "middle class", aged 30-40 are the core of the homophobic movement. They seriously believe there is a gay propaganda machine working on full power and that it should be stopped. While in reality there is no any kind of propaganda, there are mass media paying extra attention to the gay movement all over the world.

These people really believe that, for examples, scenes, like the one in Cloud Atlas, should be cut out of the movies, because they are insulting and not very pleasant to see. In this light, it is really surprising that the same people watch Game of Thrones and find Renly Baratheon and Loras Tyrell very pleasing characters.

I remember one episode from the news broadcast here a couple of months ago when France was about to pass the law on same sex marriage: the broadcasters were very serious in calling Netherlands a country where homosexualism has won and they cited some horrible statistics saying that children from same sex couples have sexually transmitted diseases more often (!), such children more often commit suicide (!!), and, finally, such children are more often suffering from depressions (!!!).

I don't know about you, guys, but I don't have any illusions about the future now.

You gotta keep the faith alive man!

To be honest the truth is that none of us will probably get to experience "true" equality & acceptance. One hopes that the generations that will come after us will have it better. Social issues do evolve.

vCash
    Wow.. that must be hell of a rough school!
    It didn't help that his adoptive parents were RW Christian homophobes! They sent him to a therapist. They transferred him to a Christian school...where the abuse was even WORSE than in public school. His childhood was kind of hell-on-wheels.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dardar1126 View Post
    I've never seem someone actually gay bashed...although my late gay roommate and a friend of his were once hit while they were waiting at a bus stop in San Francisco.

And a bus stop was where I (who am not gay), that same roommate and some other gay friends were involved in a homophobic verbal attack...also in San Francisco. We were waiting for the bus and just talking and being silly when this young Hispanic man began verbally abusing us and getting all up in my roomie's face. Now my friend Greg was short and slight of build, but he was a little bulldog, so he gave it right back to this much bigger guy. And, of course, I was madder than a wet hen! The Hispanic man's gf tried to rein him in before it went too far. Luckily the bus came and we were able to avoid a physical altercation. But I can tell you we were all shaken by the incident.
    In San Francisco of all places.

Unfortunately it is all too common for gay kids to get taunted. Private & Christian schools are worse than public schools in that regard.

I'm kind of disappointed in Dave (especially him!!) and Jenny tbh. They should be all over this topic with the Olympic season approaching.

vCash
    Well, not just gays were assaulted. Where I grew up the fat kids were most subjected to assault, and this was before everyone was fully aware of the idea of homosexuality here. Fat kids were beaten up left and right, for being fat and easy. Then the "sissies". But always fat kids (boys and girls) before all others.
    I'm not being an apologist for the Russian government or anything. I think it's well reactionary what Putin wants to do to the gays, among others. But I'm also a bit sick of the notion that LGBT groups are the only ones discriminated in this society. Things are more complicated than that. It's tough life. Many people are discriminated in more subtle ways than sexual orientation (looks for one, which goes a long way and is absolutely a no opener, and gays are among the worst offenders on that.) So deal with it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by analia View Post
    Well, not just gays were assaulted. Where I grew up the fat kids were most subjected to assault, and this was before everyone was fully aware of the idea of homosexuality here. Fat kids were beaten up left and right, for being fat and easy. Then the "sissies". But always fat kids (boys and girls) before all others.
    I'm not being an apologist for the Russian government or anything. I think it's well reactionary what Putin wants to do to the gays, among others. But I'm also a bit sick of the notion that LGBT groups are the only ones discriminated in this society. Things are more complicated than that. It's tough life. Many people are discriminated in more subtle ways than sexual orientation (looks for one, which goes a long way and is absolutely a no opener, and gays are among the worst offenders on that.) So deal with it.
    WOW, how sensitive...how compassionate!

vCash

I don't care if I get a suspension, but you are a BITCH!

If there's ever a time for Karma to kick in...

vCash
    That's a very simplistic and lazy argument. People other groups are are assaulted and not respected, that should mean they shouldn't be given sympathy or have their problems highlighted for the world to see? You've obviously haven't thought deeply about this issue given the way you've expressed yourself.

vCash
    Twitter:

The Advocate ‏@TheAdvocateMag 6h
    Olympic Committee Says Russia's Antigay Bill Won't Effect LGBT Olympians http://bit.ly/1590hA7

vCash
    I find the timing of this legislation to be completely inexplicable. I would expect the Russian government to want the Sochi olympics to be as well-attended as possible. This legislation certainly discourages any member of the gay community from attending the olympics or visiting Russia. Someone might decide not to attend as a protest or because the individual was concerned about safety or simply because who the hell wants to go where they are so clearly unwanted and unwelcome. Wait four more years and go someplace more hospitable.

vCash
    http://www.outsports.com/2013/6/16/4...sia-homophobia

IOC says gay Winter Olympians welcome despite Russia's anti-gay laws
    By Jim Buzinski on Jun 16 2013, 7:50p

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JJH View Post
    I find the timing of this legislation to be completely inexplicable. I would expect the Russian government to want the Sochi olympics to be as well-attended as possible. This legislation certainly discourages any member of the gay community from attending the olympics or visiting Russia. Someone might decide not to attend as a protest or because the individual was concerned about safety or simply because who the hell wants to go where they are so clearly unwanted and unwelcome. Wait four more years and go someplace more hospitable.
    The winter Olympic powerhouses are all far more liberal than all the summer nations! So with so much appeal for winter Olympics being to most liberal nations in the world it is interesting but day to day live in the whole of Russia doesn't revolve around Sochi! I have no idea what happened that caused this law to get so much momentum!

vCash
    Twitter:

PinkNews ‏@pinknews 26m
    US: Russian gay people urge boycott of 2014 Russian Winter Olympics http://p.ink.cx/17Uay9M

vCash
    But, but won't a Russian person start crying asleep in their pillow?

Page 11 of 52 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast