Page 7 of 52 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
    vCash
    I don't understand why there's a picture of Gracie Gold in this article. She isn't gay (She's got a little thing going on with one of the US men) and AFIAK hasn't done anything major to benefit the LGBT community (not that I would expect her to, just stating it). I hope this newspaper has rights to use her photograph in such an article??

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by augustus View Post
    It's a culture war. Anyways the op's article is rather misleading when it says "What year are we in? People are still being arrested for saying it's OK to be gay?" Who, where, when, what?
    In Russia.

You seemed to have missed Tahbka's post on a recent demonstration against the new anti-gay laws.

Quote Originally Posted by johndockley92 View Post
    I don't understand why there's a picture of Gracie Gold in this article. She isn't gay (She's got a little thing going on with one of the US men) and AFIAK hasn't done anything major to benefit the LGBT community (not that I would expect her to, just stating it). I hope this newspaper has rights to use her photograph in such an article??
    The pictures are generic skating pictures. Stop acting like it's some kind shame to be featured next to an article on gay rights.

vCash
    ^^ It's not a shame or anything, but what if she doesn't support gay rights. Obviously, I would assume she does. But, many people in the country don't and it'd be silly to assume that someone does. You can't really put someone in an article based on something that many oppose, without first getting permission.

vCash
    ^^ It's not a shame or anything, but what if she doesn't support gay rights. Obviously, I would assume she does. But, many people in the country don't and it'd be silly to assume that someone does. You can't really put someone in an article based on something that many oppose, without first getting permission.
    If that logic was to be followed, you wouldn't be able to put a picture next to any article because the person in the picture might oppose what is written there.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Gold's photo was included among several in a feature about athletes that had done well that week. It happened to be imbedded in the middle of the article on Sochi. She wasn't even the featured photo: it was another athlete in another sport who was in the full-sized photo that looked like it was illustrating the article, not a separate feature, and you had to scroll through the small photos at the bottom to even find Gold, at least when the article was published. The captions made it clear that they were reporting on recent sports results.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Within the article it has links to "you might also be interested in this" type stuff. It just so happens that these photos come off as a gallery of gay Olympians

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    I am very interested in this topic. I have noticed 15 or so posts about Olympic villages and legacies, deficits, etc. so I have started a thread for this different topic for those who are interested. It seems there's a lot of you. Here's the thread title, just click on it to go to this separate topic: Olympic Cities - Legacies, Deficits...Do The Olympics Help Or Hurt Cities Which Host

To help this "Sochi Olympics will test gay rights" thread get back on topic, I'd like to address the comment about how gay rights deserves to be in a figure skating thread.

Russia has been in the news lately for many varying anti-gay actions. There have been too many stories to mention about how gay people and gay pride parades have been attacked and abused. Now imagine that you are an openly gay athlete...or a closeted athelete...or even an open, vocal ally. You will be competing in a country whose track record is certainly less than stellar, if not horrific, in how people who share your sexuality are treated. Might that make you concerned...nervous...agitated? If so, would that not make the competition unfair? To have to perform when you might have concern for your safety or well-being?

I believe all athletes should have the right to compete on an equal level. Until we get there, we should be discussing any and all topics that relate to this topic or any other when there is a possibility of an outside source having a negative affect on any of the athletes who have dreamed all their lives of competing at an Olympics.
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

vCash
    Also, Johnny Weir's statement was linked in the first posting by this thread. That's why it's in the Great Skate Debate.

vCash
    I think this is perfectly suitable thread in the GSD. Human rights are a very important part of everything we do. They are basic values we have to respect and defend.

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    You can't really put someone in an article based on something that many oppose, without first getting permission.
    Yes, you can. It's news. You can put any picture you want. That's the law in most places.

Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post
    Also, Johnny Weir's statement was linked in the first posting by this thread. That's why it's in the Great Skate Debate.
    Exactly.
    Actual bumper sticker series: Jesus is my co-pilot. Satan is my financial advisor. Budha is my therapist. L. Ron Hubbard owes me $50.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    I am very interested in this topic. I have noticed 15 or so posts about Olympic villages and legacies, deficits, etc. so I have started a thread for this different topic for those who are interested. It seems there's a lot of you. Here's the thread title, just click on it to go to this separate topic: Olympic Cities - Legacies, Deficits...Do The Olympics Help Or Hurt Cities Which Host

To help this "Sochi Olympics will test gay rights" thread get back on topic, I'd like to address the comment about how gay rights deserves to be in a figure skating thread.

Russia has been in the news lately for many varying anti-gay actions. There have been too many stories to mention about how gay people and gay pride parades have been attacked and abused. Now imagine that you are an openly gay athlete...or a closeted athelete...or even an open, vocal ally. You will be competing in a country whose track record is certainly less than stellar, if not horrific, in how people who share your sexuality are treated. Might that make you concerned...nervous...agitated? If so, would that not make the competition unfair? To have to perform when you might have concern for your safety or well-being?

I believe all athletes should have the right to compete on an equal level. Until we get there, we should be discussing any and all topics that relate to this topic or any other when there is a possibility of an outside source having a negative affect on any of the athletes who have dreamed all their lives of competing at an Olympics.
    A lot of these skaters competed in Moscow in 2011! There probably not going to be a big shift in who competed. And they weren't staying In a village but hotels in Moscow which means anyone who was gay there they was more in contact with people than they would Be in 2014. The new law proposals are just proposals but the ideology that would leas to the new laws would have existed in 2011.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Finnice View Post
    I think this is perfectly suitable thread in the GSD. Human rights are a very important part of everything we do. They are basic values we have to respect and defend.
    You can trust a Scandinavian person to say that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    You can trust a Scandinavian person to say that.
    Well, techically, Finland is not part of Scandinavia But we share the same values.

vCash
    From a thread in Trash Can:

Quote Originally Posted by dots View Post
    I'm starting to hear some horror stories about Russia.

Anti-gay bill passes 436-0 vote

http://news.yahoo.com/russian-lawmak...164959267.html

A girl getting kicked in the face by two homophobes

http://news.yahoo.com/lightbox/two-s...134506399.html

As a gay man I have decided that a trip to Sochi is no longer in the cards. I was really looking forward to it, but to be honest I wouldn't feel safe. Am I reading too much into things, or is homophobia such a big problem in Russia?

I wonder if we'll hear anything from the gay skaters.
    I posted about this today on Twitter and Facebook. And I sent tweets of concern to @USFigureSkating, @USOlympic, @NBCOlympics, @Sochi2014 and Phil Hersh @olyphil.

Terrible law...terrible step back to the bad old days! How are gay athletes, coaches, staff, fans, tourists and those who love them supposed to feel safe there for the Winter Olympics in Sochi2014?

Even if one is not gay, it is conceivably possible that you could be fined, arrested and deported just for expressing support of gay people!

EDIT: Phil later tweeted about this...

Philip Hersh ‏@olyphil 1h
    Russia (2014 Olympics, 2018 World Cup) joins Qatar (2022 World Cup) in legal homophobia. Disgraceful. http://ind.pn/15V3wxp
    Philip Hersh ‏@olyphil 2h
    New Russian law says it is illegal to make "false statement" about "socially equal nature of traditional and non-traditional relationships”.
    EDIT2: Just received a message on Facebook that the Russian authorities have already banned Pride House at the Olympics.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dardar1126 View Post
    EDIT2: Just received a message on Facebook that the Russian authorities have already banned Pride House at the Olympics.
    Here's the February 2013 USA Today article in post #1 that mentions this and also quotes Johnny Weir: http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...mpics/1897021/

Weir wrote about his experience in Moscow in November 2012: http://fcnp.com/2012/11/16/johnnys-w...tale-volume-1/
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Disgraceful. The days when gay men were jailed may be back--I recall my elementary school English teacher was arrested. I really thought this kind of backwards mentality died with the Soviet Union.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Sometimes I can't believe we're living in 2013.

So what happens if an athlete exhibits behavior that authorities consider "gay" during the games? Will they get arrested? Kicked out of the country?

vCash
    From the article Phil Hersh tweeted about:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...0-8654582.html

Individuals who violate the law can be fined up to £100, while the penalty for organisations can be up to £20,000. Foreigners found to be promoting gay equality in violation of the law will be arrested and immediately deported.
    Peter Tatchell, who was beaten and arrested four times for participating in Moscow’s gay-pride parades, said: “This new law is symptomatic of Putin’s increasing authoritarianism and his crackdown on civil society. It violates the Russian constitution, which guarantees freedom of expression, and the European Convention on Human Rights, which Russian has signed and pledged to uphold. Although the law is ostensibly aimed at prohibiting the dissemination of so-called gay propaganda to young persons under 18, in reality it will criminalise any public advocacy of gay equality, HIV education or welfare provision where a young person could see it. ”

The gay-rights activist Nikolai Alexeyev wrote on his Twitter page that he planned to appeal to the General Prosecutor’s office, asking it to investigate Elena Mizulina, one of the MPs behind the law, of inciting hatred against a social group.
    EDIT: And in case you think this sort of thing only happens in places like Russia or Uganda (where there's wide-spread support of a "Kill the Gays" bill which would mandate imprisonment for just being gay and in certain cases would call for the death penalty!)...

http://www.salon.com/2013/03/27/tenn...ll_dies_again/

WEDNESDAY, MAR 27, 2013 10:33 AM CDT
    Tennessee “Don’t Say Gay” bill dies, again
    Lawmakers resurrected the failed anti-gay legislation, only to make it more extreme. It wasn't the best strategy

BY KATIE MCDONOUGH
    Last edited by dardar1126; 06-12-2013 at 02:54 AM.

vCash
    Well, what about no more skating or other international sports events taking place in Russia? The IOC should be weighing in on this and warning Russian authorities that they may lose out on hosting the Olympics if the safety and human rights of any athletes or spectators is endangered or even in threat of being endangered. Attention and exposure regarding this needs to happen right away.

vCash
    I think all the sports federations, organizations, etc., have been tippy-toeing around this issue, waiting to see if the law would pass (although there's already been plenty of anti-gay violence in Russia recently). Now that it's on the verge of passing and being signed into law by Putin, it'll be interesting to see if any of the sports authorities have the guts to actually speak out again it and take a strong stand.

I'm not too hopeful that they will....

EDIT: Many of the countries with strong participation in winter Olympics (US, Canada, the Scandinavia countries, much of western Europe) also have strong policies regarding human rights, discrimination, etc. I would hope that all the federations and organizations would band together and speak with one voice against Russia's repressive law.

But of course this is about much more than sports....
    Last edited by dardar1126; 06-12-2013 at 03:05 AM.

Page 7 of 52 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast