Page 2 of 52 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
    There are things more important than the Olympics.
    Said no athlete EVER!

Even Johnny Wier said if he makes the team he will go. Why not say right here and now, even if I qualify to go, I won't due to their stance on gay rights.

Not that I think he will ever make the team but he certainly would condone any behavior by attending.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by julieann View Post
    Said no athlete EVER!
    But boycotts are not decided by the athletes and have happened before. I don't think a boycott will happen over gay rights though- I'm not sure what country has progressed that far that they would do it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    We could have the Olympics taking part in Scandinavian countries each time.
    Great idea, I am not sure whether they would want to hold so many games though... especially if the defection rate will be very high. It is so much the scandinavians can take, you know.

Also Ziggy, IOC is yet to make any statements on the issue, and very likely won't make any. Especially since and statement supporting Gay rights won't go down well with more than half of the countries in the IOC. There are many where being gay is illegal, with IOC made of members from across the world, their opinion will be diverse. Even if the Rouge want to say something, members wont agree to this.

It is only in the last few years that even in the West being gay is somewhat acceptable, even then you get incidents like 2008 Olympics when NBC refused to mention Mathew Michams partner when they where championing everyone else partners. Some of the countries in IOC are lot of traditional and conservative, some of them still working with the constitutions written down the some of the very countries championing the gay rights now. Some of the colonist did not approve the homosexuals in these countries since it was against their christian beliefs, The british constitution of India is a very good example where by homosexuality was declared a crime, this mentality has been imprinted on the country (strange especially since Hinduism and Buddhism, both are very, very liberal religions when it come to gender).

So, now west has changed its mentality and become more open and gay friendly. Now they want rest of the world to change and accept what they feel is correct ( which I agree as well). However, lecturing these countries is not they way, or boycotting. All of them should be allowed to make their own opinion on the subject, stop interfering (right and Left), Uganda is a very good example of right wing american nut wigs interference. These countries should gradually be allowed to make their own opinion, constructive dialogue is the way forward.
    Last edited by Domshabfan; 02-07-2013 at 04:11 PM.

vCash
    The one thing that can be done within the current structure and environment - talk about it and keeping bringing it up. The games will go on and the individual athletes (almost all of whom I respect and support) will thrill us. But use the spotlight, the exceptional level of social media discussion, etc. to keep the topic in view. Don't let it go, don't let it slide - support human rights and use opportunities, like Sochi, to highlight the abuses. That's one thing each person can do regardless of where they are located - social media gives us more "power" than we have ever had as individuals. I can't boycott anything because I wasn't going there in the first place. But I can actively support human rights efforts in Russia and in my own country (USA) and anywhere they occur. Sometimes we have to work with what we can't control - but we can make a difference. I like the message that figure skating fans CARE, really care about human rights - I'll work with that.

vCash
    Now I really hope that Weir goes to Sochi!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    But boycotts are not decided by the athletes and have happened before. I don't think a boycott will happen over gay rights though- I'm not sure what country has progressed that far that they would do it.
    Individual athletes (Johnny Weir) can boycott anytime they want-they just don't go. But the bottom line is the coveted Olympic medal is a much higher goal on any athlete's list, so much so that other issues are put to the side.

I think the Olympics are just a nice way to bankrupt a country for the sake of sport. Look at all the billion dollar venues that are now in ruins.

vCash
    right. reminds me of Beijing, the World does not revolve around western countries, democracy is a facade and its definition differs from culture to country.
    I for one leave it to their own people ( majority of Russians are still unwelcome of gays )
    do not care how this human rights are condemned, I can easily name gross human violations in any country.

the world is filled with hypocrisy.

AYS's snark-sponge
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Willowway View Post
    The IOC has already turned their heads to ignore the human rights issues in Russia. Sad but it's what they do. They would contend (if I read them right) that the games promote mutual understanding and transcend politicis - yes but... One could reasonably argue that we could find human rights violations in almost any country - that's true. That said, Russia's position on gay rights is so shocking when you take a real look at the details of their public actions but the IOC care about that? They don't.
    I think the IOC is right. It would be impossible to hold the games if it were the responsibility of the IOC to make political judgements. There certainly would be good reasons not to hold them in the U.S.

I think that the Olympics provide an opportunity to shine a light on problems within the host country if groups choose to do so. Sometimes that can have a significant impact. I'm glad to see Johnny speaking out. And if he were to make the team, glad that he would still go to Sochi.
    Congratulations 2014 World Ice Dance Champions Anna Cappellini & Luca Lanotte!!!

vCash
    The one thing that can be done within the current structure and environment - talk about it and keeping bringing it up. The games will go on and the individual athletes (almost all of whom I respect and support) will thrill us. But use the spotlight, the exceptional level of social media discussion, etc. to keep the topic in view. Don't let it go, don't let it slide - support human rights and use opportunities, like Sochi, to highlight the abuses. That's one thing each person can do regardless of where they are located - social media gives us more "power" than we have ever had as individuals. I can't boycott anything because I wasn't going there in the first place. But I can actively support human rights efforts in Russia and in my own country (USA) and anywhere they occur. Sometimes we have to work with what we can't control - but we can make a difference. I like the message that figure skating fans CARE, really care about human rights - I'll work with that.
    Very well said!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by julieann View Post
    Individual athletes (Johnny Weir) can boycott anytime they want-they just don't go. But the bottom line is the coveted Olympic medal is a much higher goal on any athlete's list, so much so that other issues are put to the side.

Johnny Weir isn't going to boycott (or make it to, but that is another issue) the Olympics in Russia. He adores Russia. This is just a black spot on it for him.

vCash
    I am absolutely furious that IOC is letting Russia get away with this. Spineless twats.
    You do realize they let the Olympics go to China. What are you expecting? By comparison Russia is liberal

LOL!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrufflet View Post
    Now I really hope that Weir goes to Sochi!
    I expect he will.. as an NBC commentator or something.

vCash
    I hope that there will be an Olympics in West Hollywood, the medals are in the shape of same sex naughty bits doing the nitty gritty, and that Russia wins all the gold medals.

That is all.

vCash
    ITA. We can do that, in whichever country we are.

vCash
    We could have the Olympics taking part in Scandinavian countries each time.

Denmark has bene repeatedly reprimanded by then Amnesty International for excessive use of isolation cells for prisoners.
    In addition, there is a very uncomfortable climate for Muslims and other immigration in general (xenophobic I would say). There is a lot of US and THEM in the media, though most immigrants from Muslim countries have Danish citizenship.

Then there is issues around not granting asylum to refugees or keeping them in waiting camps not able to work or do anything useful with their lives while their cases are being procesed.

I any case, no country is perfect, there is always some human rights issues (the US has those in droves too). Of course you can say that any democracy is better than, say, communist China, but is it really the IOC's job to figure out where to draw the line - boyond ensuring all athletes their safety and inclusion regardless of age, gender, eniticity, religion or sexual orientation?

I get where the complaints are coming from, I just think sometimes we have to realize that the IOC is a international organization which is created to be apolitical and try to get everyone together.

Edit to add: agree that each person have to speak up against injustice, where ever it is.

vCash
    The countries bid to host an Olympics to have the rest of the world place their attention on them, so if some of that attention is negative (as long as it's fair, of course), then so be it. In 2010, Canada's record on animal rights (clubbing baby seals), aboriginal rights and homelessness was spotlighted.

But when the Games actually begin, all those stories are set aside for the sports. I'll be surprised if Russia's record on gay rights will be discussed when there's figure skating on.

vCash
    deleted.
    Last edited by lala; 02-07-2013 at 06:52 PM.

vCash
    I don't like the North-American hypocricy... What did they do with the Native American people? That was the biggest genocide in history. I admire that people! It would be better, if the Americans would solve this problem, at first. But you don't get me wrong, I hope everything will be fine and the gays will have every rights in Sochi.
    Unfortunately, in my country the gays also in bad situation , and many people also hates immigrants, and the refugees. And I hate that! But probably it's a slow process, and it will be better 10-20 years time. I think the Americans are so different people, they easy to accept the otherness.
    Last edited by lala; 02-07-2013 at 06:55 PM.

vCash
    There were all kinds of machinations behind the scenes to give the 1936 Olympics (winter and summer) to Germany, even though everyone knew that Jews were being discriminated against in that country (along with other "un-Aryan" groups or ethnicities). The IOC and some of the national federations engaged in some really shameful behaviour of appeasement to let the Games go ahead.

This book is an excellent description of what went on then: http://www.amazon.com/Berlin-Games-N.../dp/0060874139
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    There were all kinds of machinations behind the scenes to give the 1936 Olympics (winter and summer) to Germany, even though everyone knew that Jews were being discriminated against in that country (along with other "un-Aryan" groups or ethnicities). The IOC and some of the national federations engaged in some really shameful behaviour of appeasement to let the Games go ahead.

This book is an excellent description of what went on then: http://www.amazon.com/Berlin-Games-N.../dp/0060874139
    Yes, but Rudolf Vilma showed who is the best!!!

Page 2 of 52 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast