Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by UGG View Post
    ha! The funny thing is I really don't like cats! That would be funny if someone actually told me to spend time with a cat to see if I would change my mind.
    You clearly haven't met the right cat.

and it is different when they are your own - you know you will love them then.

You really don't know what you are missing until you have lived with a cat. Your life must be so empty without them, I feel sorry for you

vCash
    There are people who go on and on and on about their favourite figure skaters. At least with kids, the parents have met them in person!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by manhn View Post
    There are people who go on and on and on about their favourite figure skaters. At least with kids, the parents have met them in person!
    hahahhaha that made me LOL. I remember some creepy posts about fans feeling like skaters were their children and that is what got them through mothers day.

vCash
    My mom's best friend has always been an aunt to me. She also never married or had kids of her own. Because she was fulfilled with her life, I really believed I never had to settle for a life I wasn't sure I was suited to, even while my mom herself would tell me to lower my standards regarding dates, that I'd be lonely if I didn't have kids, etc. etc. etc. I was really lucky to have such a great influence to balance things out.

I feel for a friend of mine, though. She desperately wanted kids for as long as I've known her. She recently married her boyfriend. For a long time he would talk about having kids, how he knew she needed kids, etc. Only around the time they got engaged, he decided he was too old, and if they didn't have kids soon, she would also be too old. Oh, and they can't have kids now because they're too broke. The reasons could be sound or not, it doesn't matter because that's their choice, only it's not their choice. It was his and she abides by it. I feel terrible, but would only make it worse by asking her about it. Enough people do as it is.

I'm actually finding more and more friends of mine are deciding they'd rather not have kids after all. Sometimes it's frustrating when it's the same people who openly judged me in my 20s for the same thing.
    Last edited by Andora; 02-12-2013 at 11:22 PM.
    "How you treat the weak is
    Your true nature calling" -- Jane's Addiction

vCash
    Some people are like that with their pets, too. My one friend one time (before having children) talked to me about her dog for almost 2 hours. I actually left her at the restaurant saying that I had an emergency. I was seriously going to stab myself.

Also before I had my son I would be SO BORED when my friends would talk about their kids or kid related topics. Like...seriously bored beyond belief.

Now that I am a mom, I could talk about my son all day if someone let me. I try NOT to talk about him with my friends who do not have children because I think back about my boredom during car seat discussions or formula, or how I thought it was weird that people talked about their kids poop...etc...but it is hard because my life revolves around him.

And every mother thinks their kid is special and the most amazing child ever and I have to crack up at the people who find this ridiculous. OMG it is their kid...what are they supposed to think? LOL
    Honestly, I don't care when my friends with kids talk about their kids. That has never bothered me. It is the ones who start telling me all the things I don't know and all the skills I lack because I don't have kids. Over the years, I have learned that I don't know how to change a diaper (started doing that at age 6 and worked two summers in the 18mth-2 yr old room at a daycare--I know it is incomprehensible but in that job you change A LOT of diapers), give a baby a bottle, hold one without injuring it, do laundry (quote repeated so often from one friend "you never do laundry until you have kids"--of course, because childless people have self-cleaning clothes, towels and linens), cook a meal, clean house, understand my faith, shop for groceries, mend anything, go to the library, and the list goes on and on....

Saint Smugpawski
    Cutting Down Privet Because Food Prices Are Going Up Next Year
    vCash
    And every mother thinks their kid is special and the most amazing child ever and I have to crack up at the people who find this ridiculous. OMG it is their kid...what are they supposed to think? LOL
    I don't think it's ridiculous if a mother feels that way about her own kid, I only think it's ridiculous when she thinks *I* should be partners with her in her obsessive fangirling. I mean, yeah, your kid is cute and nice and all but...ummm....that kid over there looks pretty alright, too. And that one. That one over there, though?

My cat is cuter than PrincessLeppard's cat.
    The fastest thing out of New Jersey since Tricky Nicky in a Muscovian handbasket

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessLeppard View Post
    But my cats are interesting! You would understand if you would just spend some time with them!
    I have often fallen in love with other people's pets, never with other people's children.
    Team Peeps!

vCash
    Just heard a from a young friend that after 4 IVF procedures and 12 attempts at intrauterine insemination, she is pregnant and due in the summer. And how did she get pregnant? The old fashioned way, plain old one-on-one sex without science. Very happy for her although my eyes bulged out thinking of the money and heartached they went through having all those procedures. But they are happy, that is all that matters.
    "Once you've skated together long enough, and you're really good friends, you can close your eyes, put your hand out and she's right there." Joe Dolkiewicz, 2011 US Novice Pairs Bronze Medalist

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post

My cat is cuter than PrincessLeppard's cat.
    You are clearly biased. I, on the other hand, can look at my cats completely objectively and say they are the most awesomest and cutest cats ever.

And you've never seen my cats, since you won't get a Facebook page so I can bombard you with pictures of their cuteness.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Anita18 View Post
    But it's true! 80% of the responses I got (and I met Alf online) said "I love dancing and going to bars!" and I specifically said I didn't do bars or clubs and I don't drink!
    I found you specify "I am not a romantic and not into kissing and cuddling". And then the only idiots who are respond when they read your profile saying they love walking by the beach holding hands and kissing and cuddling.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by maatTheViking View Post
    You clearly haven't met the right cat.

and it is different when they are your own - you know you will love them then.

You really don't know what you are missing until you have lived with a cat. Your life must be so empty without them, I feel sorry for you

When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Yazmeen View Post
    (you can't exactly say, "will you please shut up about your kid and stop telling me what I'm missing??? I don't exactly hold my vacations over your head and claim how much you are missing out on because your time and finances all went to having a child" as much as I may have been sorely tempted).
    Why not?

For some friends, I would tell them that. Nicely, but still...

Quote Originally Posted by PDilemma View Post
    (quote repeated so often from one friend "you never do laundry until you have kids"--of course, because childless people have self-cleaning clothes, towels and linens)
    Actually, I had kids so there would be someone to do the laundry.
    Actual bumper sticker series: Jesus is my co-pilot. Satan is my financial advisor. Budha is my therapist. L. Ron Hubbard owes me $50.

vCash
    Pet owners are worse than parents at my office: just the other day, there was a conversation about cat feces. Smell and ... consistency.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by vesperholly View Post
    Pet owners are worse than parents at my office: just the other day, there was a conversation about cat feces. Smell and ... consistency.

My work colleagues were discussing about kid poo and vomit. When I mentioned the best way to deal with a furball on the carpet is to let it dry and just peal it off they couldn't handle that.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MacMadame View Post
    I personally think that

(a) the last female taboo is being able to enjoy sex without being thought a slut
    This.
    This, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this.
    Did I mention, "This"?

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    I told him once that we could have a kid if he would commit to being Mr. Mom. He wouldn't.
    I might have considered this, if I had met someone who volunteered and would have been good in the role and, eventually, able and willing to home-school it/them. And had big life and disability insurance policies so I could hire a nanny and tutor if he died or couldn't mother/tutor them any more.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    This.
    This, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, this.
    Did I mention, "This"?
    I would amend that with "being able to enjoy sex while not in a serious relationship without being thought a slut." Cause I enjoy sex, but I'm pretty sure nobody thinks me a slut because it's with the guy I'm going to marry.

And if they do, they need to get some .

Entre el mundo del patinaje y el mundo real
    vCash
    My husband and I have been trying to get pregnant for two and a half years now, I had a miscarriage and we are asking ourselves if we really want to have kids ... you would not believe the questions I get asked, someone actually told me that I was selfish for not giving my husband kids, and that he would leave for a woman who would.

vCash
    You would not believe the questions I get asked, someone actually told me that I was selfish for not giving my husband kids, and that he would leave for a woman who would.
    That's terrible!
    I'm sorry.

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Citlali View Post
    My husband and I have been trying to get pregnant for two and a half years now, I had a miscarriage and we are asking ourselves if we really want to have kids ... you would not believe the questions I get asked, someone actually told me that I was selfish for not giving my husband kids, and that he would leave for a woman who would.
    to those people! What assholes!

I'm sorry for your experiences.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Citlali View Post
    assholes!! I'm sorry

Good luck!

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast