Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    Well, my husband doesn't want kids, so I'm not sure that would be a good option for us.
    That's a tough one. I hope you can find some ways to get involved with some kids in your community or church. Kids need MANY good adults in their lives to love 'em.

((((Gil-Galad))))
    BARK LESS. WAG MORE.

vCash
    We were ready to have kids (psychologically and emotionally) when I was 50 and Mr. Japanfan was 45, but by then it was too late. Our reasons were first financial - just couldn't seeing bearing the economic cost of having a child, which included renting a bigger space. But we couldn't even afford an extra bedroom, not to mention all the other costs that go with having a child, which ends up in the thousands over a lifetime. Add to that me being self-employed and earning a really low income, and there being no family support available (my mom was dead and MIL completely unavailable). There was no mat leave coming for me and not working wasn't an option, so we'd have needed to pay for daycare as well. Second, in addition to the cost there was the work and responsibility of it, which I wasn't sure I was up to.

Third, we married when I was 33 and he 27, and his primary commitment was to his education for about 10 years.

Fourth, I did fear pregnancy and giving birth. Fifth, as a youngest child who had never been around babies - I babysat one time only as a teenager and remember being really uncomfortable as I was a stranger to that baby - I didn't trust myself to be able to raise a child well, especially given the daily stressor or having to earn a living.

This led to my fifth reason, my fear that Mr. Japanfan and I would not co-parent well and he would always be the one 'in charge', as he had experience with his sister's son already. I could see our fights about parenting driving us apart.

I do admit that now I have some regrets. Some people just go ahead and become parents anyway, regardless of how ready they are, and sometimes it works out. Mr. Japanfan never achieved what he wanted with his education and in retrospect, a child might have set him on a new life direction as a parent that was more rewarding than he current child-free life.

It's looking at others with grown kids and grand-kids now that leads me to have some regrets. Part of it is having good relationship with adult children and grandchild - no, not everyone has them, but it is wonderful for those who do, the reward of having parented.

Then, there's knowing that some part of you lives on after you die, there must be a certain comfort in that.

And, sometimes children can be of a great help when one is old and unwell. A child can be your primary advocate at a time in life when you are unable to advocate for yourself. Those of us who are child-less will not have that option, and at time I find it scary.

vCash
    Have you considered adoption? There are lots of children, especially those past the baby stage, who need good parents.

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Japanfan View Post
    Then, there's knowing that some part of you lives on after you die, there must be a certain comfort in that.
    Not for me. I never understand that reason for having a child either.
    "Cupcakes are bullshit. And everyone knows it. A cupcake is just a muffin with clown puke topping." -Charlie Brooker

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MacMadame View Post
    Not for me. I never understand that reason for having a child either.
    If I ever become filthy rich, I will build a hospital or a school or library, and stick my name on it. That way I get to help kids (whether or not I have any of my own) AND have a personal legacy.

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    I guess I feel like I have a personal legacy. It's not like I lived my life as a hermit and never impacted anyone in any way.
    "Cupcakes are bullshit. And everyone knows it. A cupcake is just a muffin with clown puke topping." -Charlie Brooker

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MacMadame View Post
    I guess I feel like I have a personal legacy. It's not like I lived my life as a hermit and never impacted anyone in any way.
    I agree. I'd never have children just so a part of me could live on, nor would I find comfort in that. Or a library. My legacy is the work I've done, the life I've lived and the lives I've touched through that. At least, I hope it will be.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Anita18 View Post
    If I ever become filthy rich, I will build a hospital or a school or library, and stick my name on it. That way I get to help kids (whether or not I have any of my own) AND have a personal legacy.
    Like this - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ffj8SHrbk0
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Willy View Post
    It's blocked in the US, but I recognize the title.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    I have no desire for kids either, but I do sometimes think if I'll eventually regret it when I'm sitting in my rocking chairs in my 70s+.
    Isn't that true for every life choice though? Usually going down one path excludes the others. Maybe in your rocking chair you'll fondly look back at everything that you have done and would have missed out on if you had had children.

Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    ''I am married. I've been in perfect reproductive health. I could have afforded children, financially. I just didn't want them. They are untidy … they are ungrateful."

Yeah if you're a shit parent, they are going to be ungrateful.
    Ziggy, if you're a shit parent they'll be ungrateful when they are adults. However, as small children they will be "ungrateful" even if you are the most caring, loving, intelligent, sensitive and angelic parent in the world.

This is because being grateful requires perspective, it requires not taking other people for granted. Children don't have the life experience or empathy to have the necessary perspective and they always take their parents for granted. They feel entitled to everything their parents do for them and indeed usually they are. Hopefully they love you, but that seems independent of how much work you do for them or how many sacrifices you make. JMHO.

Go Denmark!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Asli View Post

This is because being grateful requires perspective, it requires not taking other people for granted. Children don't have the life experience or empathy to have the necessary perspective and they always take their parents for granted. They feel entitled to everything their parents do for them and indeed usually they are. Hopefully they love you, but that seems independent of how much work you do for them or how many sacrifices you make. JMHO.
    Agree. It takes a while for them to even understand that other people have feeling and needs. Children are not adults, and start out with no sort of empathy at all. My son at 2 is beginning to understand that his friends have wants, but it is all me,me,me,mine,mine, mine... (And I see nothing wrong with this at 2). It is a process - children are simply not 'done' - especially compared to other species. .

As for 'something of me will live on' - I think there are 2 things at play here for most people. One - you can have children without having money for a library or whatever, they are cheaper. Two - I think that in general, as a species, we have some sort of biological imperative to pass on our genes, that is how the race survives. That tells nothing abut how an individual might feel, of course.

vCash
    You think having a child is cheaper than building a library? I don't! Especially those parents who pay for their child's private education and/or college.

vCash
    I think when parents say something like "you're lucky that you don't have kids," they are often just trying to be affirming of that choice. That's what I would mean if I said that, though that's probably not how I would phrase it. But let me say, I understand why some people take a pass on parenting.

Not that I don't love my little treasure. But I no longer wonder why parents would choose to have one child. Still making up my mind on that issue.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannahclear View Post
    I think when parents say something like "you're lucky that you don't have kids," they are often just trying to be affirming of that choice. That's what I would mean if I said that, though that's probably not how I would phrase it. But let me say, I understand why some people take a pass on parenting.

Not that I don't love my little treasure. But I no longer wonder why parents would choose to have one child. Still making up my mind on that issue.
    I honestly don't know how people have more than one. My son will be 2 in a few weeks and I cannot imagine having another. At least with one you can still have some "me" time and although you make sacrifices and it is life changing, I think it is easy to...um...maintain sanity? I don't really know hot to put it but I can imagine myself not being sane with a 2 year old and a newborn LOL.

I guess it also depends on what type of child your kid is. My sister's daughter is the same age as my son and she talks like a 5 year old and is very independent, potty trained, etc... My son is on the autism spectrum so obviously...I guess it wold be easier for her than me to have more than one.

Saint Smugpawski
    Cutting Down Privet Because Food Prices Are Going Up Next Year
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by UGG View Post
    I know that makes for a seriously awkward moment but asking someone why they don't have kids is just really rude. I mean the answer is either "I don't want them" or "I can't have them"...I mean...what other answer could their possibly be? I guess there could be the answers like "I am going back to school, going to travel. etc..." but like does the person who is asking really care that much?
    Apparently some people do really care that much because when I try to politely address the questioning my politeness goes over some people's heads and they seem to take it as an invitation to pursue even further questioning. And then I get to hear all sorts of original gems like:

-They're different when they're you're own!
    -You'll change your mind later, you'll see!
    -You just haven't met the right guy yet!

So, yeah. Some people really don't give a crap about what you do (I love you people), but some get rather offended when they hear "No thank you, I'll take a pass on all that!" to the kiddie question and take it as a personal affront. The polite answer to the initial "Why don't you have kids?" question doesn't always politely shut down the dialogue. In other words people don't always STFU when you give them the polite chance to STFU and move on in the interest of social harmony. Then when they don't STFU and you start taking a more clear and concise and assertive approach with the questioner (and maybe even come right out and say STFU because they're being particularly annoying) you get accused of being angry and bitter and of COURSE you're angry and bitter, if only you had kids then you wouldn't be so angry and bitter. Tsk tsk tsk, your life is so empty and sad, I really pity you. Kids would fix all that. It's not too late, you know.

Or the other approach is to lie and say that maybe one day you'll have kids just to shut them up quickly, but I don't use that tactic. I'm not going to lie about liking sushi and I'm not going to lie about wanting kids. I am who I am. If someone asks me if I like sushi and I politely say naw, not a fan of the seaweed and they start saying "Well, why NOT? You don't HAVE to get seaweed you know, there are all different kinds! You just haven't had GOOD sushi yet! You should try sashimi! You really need to try the tuna!" they're going to get the same sort of conversation out of me.

For the record I had sushi once and it made me vomit. So there. Good sushi, bad sushi, sashimi, I don't care. I puked. I'm not eating it. End of story.
    The fastest thing out of New Jersey since Tricky Nicky in a Muscovian handbasket

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
    Then when they don't STFU and you start taking a more clear and concise and assertive approach with the questioner (and maybe even come right out and say STFU because they're being particularly annoying) you get accused of being angry and bitter and of COURSE you're angry and bitter, if only you had kids then you wouldn't be so angry and bitter. Tsk tsk tsk, your life is so empty and sad, I really pity you. Kids would fix all that. It's not too late, you know.
    Glad I'm not the only one who gets that argument. Gets worse when they try to condescendingly explain spending some quality time with kids in some volunteer activity would really open my eyes to how wonderful they are.
    "Erm, I volunteer coach learn to skate classes at least twice a month."
    "And aren't the kids just ?"
    "Some are great, some aren't. I don't leave the rink pining to have some of my own."
    "Hrumph, hrumph, cold-hearted and un-motherly creature."
    "eff you too"

This could have ended very peacefully if they'd just left well enough alone. But nooooo, I must be enlightened an converted into a baby-loving woman.

Saint Smugpawski
    Cutting Down Privet Because Food Prices Are Going Up Next Year
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ioana View Post
    Gets worse when they try to condescendingly explain spending some quality time with kids in some volunteer activity would really open my eyes to how wonderful they are.
    Or when they try to rope you into spending quality time with THEIR kids. Because their kids are uniquely special and have The Power To Make You Change Your Mind And Swell Your Grinch Heart.
    The fastest thing out of New Jersey since Tricky Nicky in a Muscovian handbasket

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Asli View Post
    Ziggy, if you're a shit parent they'll be ungrateful when they are adults. However, as small children they will be "ungrateful" even if you are the most caring, loving, intelligent, sensitive and angelic parent in the world.

This. I am grateful every day now for what my parents did for me, but I was a brat and didn't think of their needs until I was about 10. And I wasn't spoiled. I said "please" and "thank you" and was quiet in restaurants. I just didn't have the perspective of "Mom has to go to work and then come home and cook us dinner and then listen to us practice piano. Wow, that's exhausting!" It just didn't occur to me, because they made sure our needs were met first. I don't think that's bad parenting. It's just kids getting older and gaining perspective. My mom LOVES having us around now that we're adults and can do cool things with her and teach her things.

I tell my coworker this, she's sometimes upset that her kids take her for granted, but they're still so young. I assure her that they will be incredibly thankful for what she's done for them when they're older, although it's hard not to get acknowledgement now.

Quote Originally Posted by Angelskates View Post
    You think having a child is cheaper than building a library? I don't! Especially those parents who pay for their child's private education and/or college.
    Depends on the library!

Go Denmark!
    vCash
    I honestly don't know how people have more than one. My son will be 2 in a few weeks and I cannot imagine having another. At least with one you can still have some "me" time and although you make sacrifices and it is life changing, I think it is easy to...um...maintain sanity? I don't really know hot to put it but I can imagine myself not being sane with a 2 year old and a newborn LOL.
    Well, having a 2 year old and getting ready for number 2 feels like insanity at times... but after not being sure about wanting kids I knew right away in the hospital (literally minutes after I gave birth) that I wanted another one (hormones are weird, I say ). In addition, after having seen my 2 year old interact with my friends 3.5 year old I knew it would be awesome to have 2, they entertained each other so well. My brother is 8 years older than me, and we have very little in common, so I wanted them close together.
    I honestly also think I would spoil my son a little to much if I only had one...

I guess it also depends on what type of child your kid is. My sister's daughter is the same age as my son and she talks like a 5 year old and is very independent, potty trained, etc... My son is on the autism spectrum so obviously...I guess it wold be easier for her than me to have more than one.
    Definitely true. While my friends with the 3.5 year old was entertained by the 2 boys, they will not have another. He was a very fuzzy, colicy baby, and basically screamed for hours the first 6 months, no matter what they did. Our boy, on the other hand, has a basically happy temperament, nothing makes him upset for very long, and he was a relatively easy baby

I can't imagine the extra work you have to put in with a kid on the autism spectrum!

Apparently some people do really care that much because when I try to politely address the questioning my politeness goes over some people's heads and they seem to take it as an invitation to pursue even further questioning. And then I get to hear all sorts of original gems like:

-They're different when they're you're own!
    -You'll change your mind later, you'll see!
    -You just haven't met the right guy yet!
    ugh meddling people!
    I admit I have personally experienced the first one, but I usually only talk about it to people who (like me) are unsure and wants to talk about motherhood.
    the second one I hate, that is the stupidest shit - the whole biological clock thing is so not true for everyone. Besides, I think it is annoying when people come off as better knowing about your personal life choices at random - like if you said you wanted to study classical roman literature and someone thinks that you should study archeology instead - do they really say ' You will change your mind later, just wait'? Well, that is just silly.

In addition, I feel that in general it is rude to ask why someone don't have children. I might ask close friends or ask if they feel ready yet if they have previously said they wanted kids 'later', but in general I would worry about touching a sore issue if people can't have kids - I don't ask other people details about other medical issues unless they volunteer.

I think a lot of people ask because they might not always feel happy being parents and they try affirm themselves of their choices, but it is much better to do this with other parents, and talk about how wonderful your kids are, much better not to bother your childless friends with that .

oh, and the more I think about all this, I think it ties into MacMadame's statement a few pages back (think it was her) - the taboo of enjoying sex. If you are having sex, and in a relationship, you should be having kids. Otherwise are you just doing it for fun ??

vCash
    Or when they try to rope you into spending quality time with THEIR kids. Because their kids are uniquely special and have The Power To Make You Change Your Mind And Swell Your Grinch Heart.
    Well as a mother I can say that my son would totally do this for you.

Kidding aside, spending time with your own child is 100% different than spending time with someone else's kid. So when a parent says "it is different when it is your own" that is a 100% true statement.

I have nephews and nieces and before I had my son, I enjoyed spending time with them but only for like an hour LOL. My son I just cannot get enough of and sometimes I am even sad when he goes to bed and I miss him at night.

So anyway I guess my point is that I don't see how spending time with other people's children would make someone want a child because it is just not the same thing at all. Other people's children are annoying!

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast