Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    From the Bloc
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skateboy View Post
    What is with the EXTREME hate for this man?
    Fashion. You can break it down to specifics, but IMO it became popular to diss Morosov on FSU after an infamous incident at TEB a few years ago. Few seem to remember that there was a time when Morosov was one of FSU's darlings - back when he was TT's sidekick, fans approved of his emerging role with her skaters, and even commented frequently on his good looks. News that he was to choreograph someone new was often met with great anticipation. When he went out on his own, I think many cheered on his future success.

Then, as happens, some fans started to grown tired of his signature choreography or were disappointed when he didn't get results for their favourites, and those who were willing to forgive his indiscretions in the face of true love simply could not forgive him for breaking Shae's heart. As others have mentioned, we're all used to Russian and former USSR skaters and choreographers hopping in and out of each other's beds, but Shae seemed separate from all that. Then he started hooking up with younger skaters he was coaching, which while legal, puts a lot of people off.

But the collective dislike only started after that TEB IIRC, and the telling and retelling of that story has resulted in his newly mocking image of being oily, greasy etc.

Lesson to those in the skating community: don't mess with FSU.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasha'sSpins View Post
    If his girlfriends are at the age of consent his daughter's age is irrelevant. I myself don't find the sight of much older men with much younger women very palatable but Morosov is not exactly a senior citizen just yet-and what if he were? Who are we to judge if a younger woman wants to be with him?
    I'll judge him if the girlfriend in question is not a legal adult, is almost young enough to be his daughter, and if she's a student of his. It's creepy and unethical. I don't judge the women involved with him, though I deplore their taste in men.

Two places! Atlanta suburbs and in the North Georgia Mountains
    vCash
    This reminds me of a ballet person I used to know. Real character-drank a lot, cheated on his wife, womanized, verbally battered his dancers. I still despise him, but I will truthfully say that he was a brilliant teacher who could take someone with bad habits or lack of training, and in 6 months they would be amazing ballet dancers. He also created some of the most wonderful choreography I've ever seen.

I believe you have to take the work of someone and separate it from the individual's bad behavior. The work stands alone. If it's really, really good, it will endure long after the person is dead. The art/music/dance/literature worlds are littered with very problematical artists whose work has endured for centuries.

HOWEVER...I admit that sometimes I just get a dislike on for someone because they behaved badly-did something rotten. I'm guilty! (And I sure as hell am not going to mention one particular episode that really got my goat because then we'd be off on that tangent...given recent threads...) But it can and does affect how people view the disliked person's work, and that can be a shame.

I don't like a lot of Morozov's choreography, but many of the pieces listed above are some of my favorites. He's a mixed bag. I do wish Voronov would go somewhere else. I haven't liked the choreography for him, if you want to call it choreography, and I believe in my gut that Sergei could be better with a different influence.

vCash
    When people don't see the need to keep work and play seperate, those observing don't see the need to either.

Personally, I am impartial to his choreography, some I like, some I don't. As for the other stuff - anyone that dates their students/suboridinates is smarmy. Don't care who they are or where they are from. Same goes for serial cheaters.
    I'm honest, just not always in a nice way

YEAH!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    Then, as happens, some fans started to grown tired of his signature choreography or were disappointed when he didn't get results for their favourites, and those who were willing to forgive his indiscretions in the face of true love simply could not forgive him for breaking Shae's heart. As others have mentioned, we're all used to Russian and former USSR skaters and choreographers hopping in and out of each other's beds, but Shae seemed separate from all that.
    I don't doubt that this accounts for a lot of the anti-Morozov feelings, but given the rumors that he was still married to the French woman when he became involved with Shae, I find it quite ironic.

I agree that it is fashionable to hate Morozov. A couple of years ago, people were constantly saying Zhulin was smarmy (around the same time as he was coaching N&K, who weren't that well-liked and many felt were overmarked). And now, everyone seems to love him and thinks he is a genius. After a couple of years, the Morozov hate will be so entrenched here that it will become fashionable to be a contrarian and root for Morozov again.

The only thing that does bother me is when the Morozov hate bleeds over into hatred for his skaters. It seems to be the case especially with Amodio. I understand why people feel that Morozov's choreo does not show Amodio in the best light, but Amodio seems to engender a lot of personal dislike whereas he seems like a nice guy IMO.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherub721 View Post
    I agree that it is fashionable to hate Morozov. A couple of years ago, people were constantly saying Zhulin was smarmy (around the same time as he was coaching N&K, who weren't that well-liked and many felt were overmarked). And now, everyone seems to love him and thinks he is a genius. After a couple of years, the Morozov hate will be so entrenched here that it will become fashionable to be a contrarian and root for Morozov again.
    I find them both smarmy, but Zhulin has more interesting ideas. If you're shooting for evil genius, it's not enough to just be evil

The only thing that does bother me is when the Morozov hate bleeds over into hatred for his skaters. It seems to be the case especially with Amodio. I understand why people feel that Morozov's choreo does not show Amodio in the best light, but Amodio seems to engender a lot of personal dislike whereas he seems like a nice guy IMO.
    I like Amodio, which is why it upsets me so much to see his talent wasted in the hands of Morozov and those crappy programs he does keep getting top marks. His pre-Morozov programs (2009-10) were so much more interesting. Someone send the guy to Camerlango, he'll know what to do with him (Kenji Miyamoto and Stephane Lambiel would also be acceptable options).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Zemgirl View Post
    I'll judge him if the girlfriend in question is not a legal adult, is almost young enough to be his daughter, and if she's a student of his. It's creepy and unethical. I don't judge the women involved with him, though I deplore their taste in men.
    But thus far all of his known girlfriends HAVE been legal adults or at the age of consent so I don't see your problem. Where have you seen proof otherwise? In Russia the age of consent is 16 not 18 or did you miss that post upthread?

I DID say such age differences are not palatable to me. But they are also not wrong as long as it is between consenting adults-which Morosov and his girlfriends have been thus far.

vCash
    Is today "Ziggy uses the word t--t in every thread" day?

From the Bloc
    vCash
    After a couple of years, the Morozov hate will be so entrenched here that it will become fashionable to be a contrarian and root for Morozov again.
    No doubt!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasha'sSpins View Post
    But thus far all of his known girlfriends HAVE been legal adults or at the age of consent so I don't see your problem. Where have you seen proof otherwise? In Russia the age of consent is 16 not 18 or did you miss that post upthread?
    Obviously, since I addressed that post upthread, I did not miss it. Nor was my post that you are quoting incorrect; the age of majority in Russia (legal adult) is 18. Age of consent and legal adult are not the same thing, but regardless, a man in his mid-30s hooking up with his less than 18 year old student is wrong in more than one way. So no, I'm not going to give him a pass. In some countries the age of consent is even lower, and I believe is used to be 14 in Russia - should I give adults in places with lower ages of consent a pass on disgusting behavior?

vCash
    According to , he's going to have his girlfriend and her partner skate to this, and he's going to publish a book called The Drinking Man's Guide to Sochi.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by morqet View Post
    18, actually. Age of consent in Russia is 16, so whilst you may find it "gross", he's not technically doing anything wrong.
    He has claimed over a few drinks, to have had her!!!!!! while at Junior world in Hague

YEAH!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dance truth View Post
    He has claimed over a few drinks, to have had her!!!!!! while at Junior world in Hague
    He wasn't even her coach then... I guess it's possible, but seems doubtful.

vCash
    He wasn't even her coach then... I guess it's possible, but seems doubtful.
    Not her Coach..but he was there

vCash
    Does anyone still have the old youtube clip of him as scary Morozov? I think he was yelling at poor Miki.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    Fashion. You can break it down to specifics, but IMO it became popular to diss Morosov on FSU after an infamous incident at TEB a few years ago. Few seem to remember that there was a time when Morosov was one of FSU's darlings - back when he was TT's sidekick, fans approved of his emerging role with her skaters, and even commented frequently on his good looks. News that he was to choreograph someone new was often met with great anticipation. When he went out on his own, I think many cheered on his future success.

Then, as happens, some fans started to grown tired of his signature choreography or were disappointed when he didn't get results for their favourites, and those who were willing to forgive his indiscretions in the face of true love simply could not forgive him for breaking Shae's heart. As others have mentioned, we're all used to Russian and former USSR skaters and choreographers hopping in and out of each other's beds, but Shae seemed separate from all that. Then he started hooking up with younger skaters he was coaching, which while legal, puts a lot of people off.

But the collective dislike only started after that TEB IIRC, and the telling and retelling of that story has resulted in his newly mocking image of being oily, greasy etc.

Lesson to those in the skating community: don't mess with FSU.
    Can someone please reiterate that incident? I don't know anything about that and would love to know.

I have to admit, I'm a big fan, particularly because he has the guts to hook up with all these women and woos them not just for a fling, but for real longstanding, if intertwining, and very public romance... He is greasy hot. I would totally have gone for a guy like him when I was 17. Some girls are just emotionally more mature than others and Ilinykh is definitely one of them. Knowing a thing or two about this kind of situation I would say the younger girl normally wants the relationship more than the older guy, with less burden too. They could have hidden the relationship better though. But it seems even I's parents don't care. Why should anyone else? I very much object to the idea that a teacher can't date a student, or some company's policy that co-workers can't date each other. That's just anti-human. People should be able to date whoever they see fit.
    However, he could definitely use some help in music taste. And maybe take a transition lesson from David Wilson.

Let's be honest, Morozov and TT are the only interesting characters these days. The skating world won't be the same without them. I don't think Morozov is the best coach for Daisuke if he wants to win everything, but I also can't imagine him going to any NA coach.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Zemgirl View Post
    Obviously, since I addressed that post upthread, I did not miss it. Nor was my post that you are quoting incorrect; the age of majority in Russia (legal adult) is 18. Age of consent and legal adult are not the same thing, but regardless, a man in his mid-30s hooking up with his less than 18 year old student is wrong in more than one way. So no, I'm not going to give him a pass. In some countries the age of consent is even lower, and I believe is used to be 14 in Russia - should I give adults in places with lower ages of consent a pass on disgusting behavior?
    Yes, I know the age of majority and the age of consent are two different things which is why I said 'legal adults or at the age of consent in my previous post.

Morosov as far as is known has broken no laws. And once again, I don't find it palatable that an older man is hooking up with a much younger woman-or girl as such is the case. But it still does not make it wrong. It makes it gross and icky-but it's not wrong. At least not in his country or the countries where he has consorted with younger women. It wouldn't even be wrong in the States - depending what State you are in. The age of consent varies in the U.S.

You don't have to give ANYONE a pass if you choose not to. But I certainly can't condemn a man as long as he is not involved in criminal activity with a minor-which Morosov, again as far is is known, has not. Mind you, I don't have to approve of his behavior-but I cannot condemn him for it either. And so far I've not heard of the man consorting with 14 year olds. His youngest conquest appears to have been 17. Not a child in Russia.

vCash
    Thanks for posting this question and starting this discussion, skateboy. I'm an on-and-off reader of these boards and have often wondered about the source of some of the widely held feeling against certain skating figures, so I'm happy to have learned the source of some of the animus towards NM.

What were the racist remarks he is reported to have said?

vCash
    We have no right to judge this man's personal life, only his career as a skating coach. I have enjoyed almost everything Morozov has done in the skating world and want to see him involved in skating until his retirement which hopefully won't be until he is in his 70's.

GO MOROZOV GO!!!!!!!

cooking with Alexei Rogonov and Nodari Maisuradze
    vCash
    Cheering on Morozov? Here's your answer.
    "I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine."

Bruce Lee

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast