Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JasperBoy View Post
    SAturday delivery? What's that? We haven't had Saturday delivery in Canada for decades. We manage. I mean, who really uses mail anymore except to receive online purchases?
    Some of us "dinosaurs" still write actual letters, send postcards and greeting cards -- to people who actually reciprocate in a similar fashion. Some of us also pay some of our bills by mail, too; sometimes we don't have the option of doing otherwise. Obviously not enough people do these things to keep the USPS solvent.
    Lady 2: there isn't anything about me on goooogle, I mean, I must take it off if there is.....
    Lady 3: The google is a terrible thing, I mean I don't want anything on there! (Overheard by millyskate on a London train.)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cruisin View Post
    I don't like to pay bills on line. I know too many people who have dealt with identity theft, since that has become available. I also will not do any automatic bill paying. Too many experiences with (Verizon especially) screwing up my bill and over charging me. Then try to get it fixed, after it's paid
    I am with you. Everyone thinks I am a luddite but it takes me 6 minutes a month to write my checks and I'd rather do that then worry about cleaning up a security breach from web banking. And now people are using their mobile phones to bank. Good luck with the security on that.
    What would Jenny do?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatingfan5 View Post
    Some of us "dinosaurs" still write actual letters, send postcards and greeting cards -- to people who actually reciprocate in a similar fashion. Obviously not enough people do these things to keep the USPS solvent.
    I write letters and send postcards and greeting cards. I see no problem at all in having to wait until Monday to get them.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    I write letters and send postcards and greeting cards. I see no problem at all in having to wait until Monday to get them.
    I can wait until Monday for most mail as well, although I do enjoy reading on the weekend when I have more leisure time, rather than late in the evening after work and meetings when I am tired. But, as I posted earlier, the main loss to me personally, is the home Saturday mail pickup, not the delivery. I'll certainly survive, even if I won't like it.
    Lady 2: there isn't anything about me on goooogle, I mean, I must take it off if there is.....
    Lady 3: The google is a terrible thing, I mean I don't want anything on there! (Overheard by millyskate on a London train.)

vCash
    It's bad enough that many companies expect to be paid in less than 30 days after billing you. If you're late you probably get socked with a late fee. So be sure in future that you pay all your bills as soon as you receive them. No more waiting until payday.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Junk mail is what is paying for the post office. First class postage is not. Junk mail is the reason that first class rates are subsidized. The person who is delivering at junk mail is doing the work to keep rates reasonable.

If a private business, such as a store or restaurant, or, my old dentist after Microsoft layed off thousands in the Puget Sound area, decides it's more expensive to stay open six days a week than five and takes two days off, that's a business decision.
    Last edited by kwanfan1818; 02-07-2013 at 06:47 PM.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cruisin View Post
    I know too many people who have dealt with identity theft, since that has become available.
    Interesting, every single identity theft I have heard of has been about bills received in the mail and thrown in the trash, people using that as identity proof. I have not hear of anyone dealing with online identity fraud.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by maatTheViking View Post
    Interesting, every single identity theft I have heard of has been about bills received in the mail and thrown in the trash, people using that as identity proof. I have not hear of anyone dealing with online identity fraud.
    That was an issue in the last Seattle neighborhood I lived in, where mailboxes aren't locked, especially when credit card companies were bombarded with credit card offers.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    Yes, I've been paying my bills online for as long as that option was available and I've never had an single identify theft issue. I have had my credit card numbers stolen but that was from (as far as I could tell by the timing of it) from using them in restaurants. And my lovely former company also managed to get some of my person information stolen from a laptop they didn't keep secure. Though nothing came of that, thank goodness.
    Last edited by MacMadame; 02-07-2013 at 08:22 PM.
    Actual bumper sticker series: Jesus is my co-pilot. Satan is my financial advisor. Budha is my therapist. L. Ron Hubbard owes me $50.

vCash
    Some of us "dinosaurs" still write actual letters, send postcards and greeting cards -- to people who actually reciprocate in a similar fashion.
    Dinosaurs, eh? As someone about to turn 70, I take exception to that

I do use the Post Office occasionally, but lately it has mainly to receive shipments of coffee capsules!

vCash
    Dinosaurs, eh? As someone about to turn 70, I take exception to that
    I often feel as though those of us old enough to have bought LPs and 45s, thought a push-botton phone was a great new time saver, and pounded the keys on a non-electric typewriter are thought by some to be from something akin to the late Jurassic era.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by snoopy View Post
    I am with you. Everyone thinks I am a luddite but it takes me 6 minutes a month to write my checks and I'd rather do that then worry about cleaning up a security breach from web banking. And now people are using their mobile phones to bank. Good luck with the security on that.
    Yes, the phone thing, to me, seems crazy! I see people who have their credit card on their phone and they just scan their phone when they pay for something. What if your phone is stolen? And anyone who donates their used phones had better be sure they are wiped clean.

Quote Originally Posted by MacMadame View Post
    Yes, I've been paying my bills online for as long as that option was available and I've never had an single identify theft issue. I have had my credit card numbers stolen but that was from (as far as I could tell by the timing of it) from using them in restaurants. And my lovely former company also managed to get some of my person information stolen from a laptop they didn't keep secure. Though nothing came of that, thank goodness.
    My husband had his stolen in a restaurant. Fortunately AmEx is pretty quick to notify you with unusual purchases. It seems a nuisance when it is you using the card, but I never get upset when I get a credit card check in a store. It's for my own protection. And the card's as well, since they are ultimately responsible. But, I know a few people who pay on line and have had problems.

vCash
    I don't mind them discontinuing Saturday delivery, even for packages. But in that case, I want them to keep the post offices open on Saturday with perhaps extended hours--that's the only time some people who work during the week can go. I would also like to see an option to have it delivered on Saturday for an extra fee. I believe UPS or FedEx does this.

vCash
    My grandfather was a postman....before the PC letter carrier designation. He retired in 1942, before I was born. I often think of Grandad wearing his wool serge uniform year-round, since modern letter carriers wear casual cotton shorts and hats. I have often been told that Grandad had to deliver the mail on Christmas morning, so the children had to wait until his return from his rounds before opening their gifts.

The job kept him healthy, though. Grandad lived to be 100!

aka IceSkate98
    vCash
    I often feel as though those of us old enough to have bought LPs and 45s, thought a push-botton phone was a great new time saver, and pounded the keys on a non-electric typewriter are thought by some to be from something akin to the late Jurassic era.
    And I'm thankful that my old stereo and turntable with the giant Panasonic speakers still works!

Seriously, though, even SS will soon stop mailing checks and require recipients to either use automatic bank draft or a type of debit card. It's a much safer system in regards to the safety of mailing the checks through the US Post Office.
    Angie
    “I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” ~ Thomas A. Edison

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Karina1974 View Post
    Dad's father AND grandfather BOTH worked for the USPS (Postmaster and Postal Inspector), so he knows what is expected of a carrier, and he's gone to the PO that handles his mail *several times* to complain, but nothing ever gets done about his packages being left on the steps (in a rather "ghetto" neighborhood I might add, which is why they have the front porch door locked at all times). The carrier doesn't even "brown card" the delivery, just leaves it out on the steps where any punk walking down the street can swipe it.
    It's not just the USPS, I've had both UPS and FedEx carriers (in both Honolulu and San Francisco) abandon packages where others can take them, and the same companies have delivery men who did other shady things like forge my name when it's delivery with a required signature, and once I caught a FedEx guy tossing my package against a wall to land on my door step.

vCash
    No Saturday delivery won't bother me. The post office in the small town where I live is always open, but the window for buying stamps, etc., hasn't been open on Saturday in years.

Although I pay my bills online nowadays, I still buy stamps by the book because I send lots of greeting cards.

vCash
    Saturday delivery? What's that? We haven't had Saturday delivery in Canada for decades. We manage. I mean, who really uses mail anymore except to receive online purchases?
    No Saturday post, no penny ... it's anarchy up there!

vCash
    I think the change is a good idea. I am really fond of the post office. I still think mailing a letter for $.46 is a good deal. And I love our postal carrier Traci who is a source of endless good will. And God knows I've kept her busy as I collect ornaments and she always attempts to give the packages to me rather than leave them on the porch.

vCash
    There's a lot of people in this thread who don't have much experience waiting for checks to arrive in the mail.

Love,
    Independent Contractors
    Keeper of Nathalie Pechelat's bitchface.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast