Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

vCash
    Thanks for the tip on the cc option - I had to use that to make the English subtitles appear. It was very interesting to hear Dai's comments. It was a pleasure to watch the practice again

vCash
    Ohh mann... really not sure how I feel about this. I am excited, but cynical about the whole thing. Guess we will Just have to see how it goes at 4CC. It feels like Daisuke has gone to the dark side of the force. The Jedi master is becoming a Darth Dai? Compromised by lord Sidious with his promises of power?

Usually what makes Dai so interesting is the contrasts and diversity between his SP and LP. With this mid interim change to Moonlight Sonata, it feels too calculated, too appeasing to the COP judges, and too similar to his FS choice. Rather than the typical organic creative process that Daisuke develops year to year. It is like they are now trying to inject extra richness by adding extra butter and salt to make a dish taste better, but too much oil can make it greasy (lol ... no i am not a fan of M)/ I suppose this is the first time it shows Dai REALLY REALLY want to win and even willing to compromise his artistry in the interest of competition.

I can't blame him really. He was kicked to the side walk at Nationals, and despite taking a risk with his rockin roller program with a local talent, it just didn't work out. Didn't have the prestige of a world brand COP master, so some bitterness and knee jerk reaction is expected. So he attempt to upgrade - fast... in step Morozov who like any choreographer out there must be dying for a chance to work with Daisuke since he is capable of bring so much extra to any choreographed work.

One thing I have always loved about Dai's is his capability to bring a sense of experimentation and and playfulness that is not necessarily in the choreography. So it would be interesting to see how this contrast with his FS. I hope he doesn't end up too safe and generic, too middle aged, because I'd hate to see COP destroy another charismatic performer trying to fit the mold.

vCash
    Thanks - I wouldn't have known about the cc - it worked beautifully.

Gosh, I love this guy! He's wonderful. If he thinks this had to be done then it had to be done. How far he can take it first time out will be interesting (of course almost everything he does is interesting) but in terms of the longer-term picture, I really do have faith. It may indeed look a bit generic this weekend but over time I trust he will ensure that he will insert his own brand of the elegance into the program. I do like the choice of music though and I think it will help him emphasize (in addition to the elements), line and long edges (those can be real strengths for him as we know).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by os168 View Post
    Usually what makes Dai so interesting is the contrasts and diversity between his SP and LP. With this mid interim change to Moonlight Sonata, it feels too calculated, too appeasing to the COP judges, and too similar to his FS choice. Rather than the typical organic creative process that Daisuke develops year to year. It is like they are now trying to inject extra richness by adding extra butter and salt to make a dish taste better, but too much oil can make it greasy (lol ... no i am not a fan of M)/ I suppose this is the first time it shows Dai REALLY REALLY want to win and even willing to compromise his artistry in the interest of competition.
    Er, can't we wait until we see his SP (and preferably at Worlds because personally, I find a majority of Takahashi's programs do take a bit of time to mature) before judging whether he's compromised his artistry or not? Just saying

Don't get me wrong - I did take my head in my hands when I read the news and that he would be skating to Moonlight Sonata because he's already doing the FS on a classic and we're losing the contrast, as you said. I am not Morozov's biggest fan and I don't exactly have huge faith in his qualities as choreograph (although, while I think he's on average mediocre, he does have moments of brilliance) - still, I don't share the hatred some people seem to have for him

There is no denying that Takahashi wants to win - he said it enough times in interviews and he also never hid the fact that he thought having Morozov in the team could help because he was Russian (and I guess because of Morozov's clout). But he also was pretty adament during his interview pre 4CC when he explained the process of changing his SP, that he was also constantly thinking, while working on the choreo, how to erase the Morozov-flavor from it, to replace with his own, which tells me that he's well aware of Morozov's limitations as a choreographer. He also stated that he was more interested this time around to perform rather than worry about the results - although I cannot pretend to know what he really thinks, that doesn't strike me as the state of mind of someone who compromises on his artistry for better marks (although I have no doubt the Moonlight Sonata suggestion also came from the fact that it's more likely to be understood by the judges than Vas' In the Garden of Souls)

In a way, I guess that's a new experiment for him as he had to put probably more ideas in to make the program less Morozov's and more him. And maybe the program will not work - but maybe it will. But the bottom line is, we haven't seen it yet. And as a matter of fact, the feedback from people who have seen it in practice was unanimously positive - so maybe, just maybe, all hope is not lost and we could withhold judgement for now?

vCash
    I think there must have been some input from judges about the first sp. Really close to worlds though to be changing, but this seems to fit him well.

vCash
    I think it needs a few more miles. It is hard to do wrong with Moonlight Sonata combined with Dai's skills.
    I expected more in the second mark...I think the PCS was too low and too close to those in high 30s.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Fudove View Post
    I think it needs a few more miles. It is hard to do wrong with Moonlight Sonata combined with Dai's skills.
    I expected more in the second mark...I think the PCS was too low and too close to those in high 30s.
    I agree and not

I think the situation is similar to the Free program: the structure is not genius but it's solid. There are lovely touches in the programs, elements of choreo that are not flamboyant but underline the nuances of the music beautifully (that uper body movement that accompagnies the music just before the entry into the 2nd spin is )

What it needs to ignite though is Takahashi's ability to transcend the material. But it's been done (awfully) late, he hasn't had the time to grow into it, and therefore he hasn't set it alight completely. He felt contracted throughout (he said in post SP press conference that he "was overthinking it") and not extending the movements as well as he's capable of. I thought that was particularily evident in the steps sequence: you can tell it's tailor-built for his ability and it has the potential to be mind-blowing but it's not there yet

I think another crucial point was the fall on the 3A: as often, his 3A is placed at very specific moment of the phrasing of the music (that's also the case for the 2nd 3A in the long program) which means that when he doesn't do them clean, it hits the program's momentum pretty badly

Although I think relatively to other skaters, his PCs are too low, in absolute they are a bit stringy but not unreasonable (although some of the individual marks were downright laughable)

So yeah, to me it was disappointing on the performance but not on the program and I'm looking forward to see it at Worlds, hopefully clean

vCash
    Samo Samo, generic, bland, not fresh, not appealing, and certainly don't do any justice to a skater of Dai's caliber.

Way to go ruin one of the most interesting, charismatic sparkly skaters out there. It is like one dark cloak being pulled over to cover all the lightness, uniqueness and appeal of Takahashi. Sigh.... one wonder which part belong to M and which part to D. Dai should skate like Dai, not some watered down European leading man packaged theme du jour ala Morozov. Even if he hit all the jumps in performance, I'd still feel the same way. And no amount of step sequences at the end should be able to compensate for the void for everything else in the first half. It is the same COP layout we have seen in and out, not surprised by this at all.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rayhaneh View Post
    the structure is not genius but it's solid. There are lovely touches in the programs, elements of choreo that are not flamboyant but underline the nuances of the music beautifully (that uper body movement that accompagnies the music just before the entry into the 2nd spin is )
    For connoisseurs only!

I think it is a little gift from Dai to those geeky fans who can watch and analyze for hours every nuance of his every little move. We will probably see this program only twice, and it probably will never appeal to the public like Swan Lake, La Strada or Blues did. But for those who value musical interpretation the most, those steps done to the music, those moments when his hands capture the melody while his legs beat the rhythm and his hair simultaneously moves to the sound of the soul of the music, it will be very precious gem in the collection.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Yes, the hair choreography is truly trail blazing. Should be its own PCS category.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12