Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

NEW PROGRAM FOR DAISUKE

Well, looks like he's skating something new in Osaka. There is a new short program done by Morozov.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzxtifMuPZc

vCash
    Another clip. I have to say that Nikoli is a good skater LOL.

His short programs are usually pretty good...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPqDXkkBzxE

vCash
    Thanks for the video links!

Some discussion of this topic was started yesterday in the Japanese news thread: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...=1#post3826432
    Here's one post with a Japanese article link:
    Quote Originally Posted by ostile17 View Post
    Turns out he will skate to classical Moonlight Sonata. Another hip hop version of a classical piece would sound too trite, I think.
    Anyway, apparently Morozov suggested the change and he accepted. He feels good with the music though, so who knows!

http://sportsnavi.yahoo.co.jp/sports...6-00000040-dal
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by arakwafan2006 View Post
    Another clip. I have to say that Nikoli is a good skater LOL.

His short programs are usually pretty good...

LOL Interestingly, in this video, he speaks about the fact that he kept thinking about "how to erase the Morozov-coloring [from the choreo]" (I think someone on the Daisuke Fan Forum translated it as "Morozovism")

I agree though that Morozov has done quite a few decent to very good short programs - it's usually in the FS that I feel he sometimes very much lacks vision

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rayhaneh View Post
    LOL Interestingly, in this video, he speaks about the fact that he kept thinking about "how to erase the Morozov-coloring [from the choreo]" (I think someone on the Daisuke Fan Forum translated it as "Morozovism")

I agree though that Morozov has done quite a few decent to very good short programs - it's usually in the FS that I feel he sometimes very much lacks vision
    Ironically enough, the free skate LOOKS like something Morozov would do and not Shae- Lynn

vCash
    So, classical piano sp's for both Chan and Takahashi. Interesting choice/strategy on Takahashi and Morozov's part.

I can already hear the here over the PCS marks, particularly the IN mark, at worlds.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Thanks for the video links!

Some discussion of this topic was started yesterday in the Japanese news thread: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...=1#post3826432
    Here's one post with a Japanese article link:
    Translation:

Daisuke Takahashi changed for a Beethoven composition

Official practices for the Four Continents Championships of Figure skating (opening on the 8th, at Osaka Chuo district Gymnasium) started on February 6 and Daisuke Takahashi, Yuzuru Hanyu and Takahito Mura, of the Men's division, could get a feel of the rink for the first time

Takahashi, who skated his short program until now to a Rock'n'Roll medley, will change music, starting with this competition, to Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata. "I got this proposition from Morozov 'Why couldn't you change [SP]'. It's not that the program I had until now was bad, but it felt like it was difficult to get the points. It's been a while since I did classic, yet moves come naturally, it's a program when I can be more carefree [or "I feel more at ease"]. Now I want to know how it will be received" he said

So far this season, Yuzuru Hanyu leads two victories to one [Note: the Japanese press is currently obsessed by the head-to-head between Takahashi and Hanyu - don't ask ] "If I win here, I could make it 2-2 leading to the World Championships. I think that would be fun" he said laughing

vCash
    This video's narrator said, Dai is trying to erase Morozov color and fill the vacancy with his own style in order to create synergy effect.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by homura View Post
    This video's narrator said, Dai is trying to erase Morozov color and fill the vacancy with his own style in order to create synergy effect.
    That's just wonderful to hear!

Quadless
    vCash
    I have to say that Nikoli is a good skater LOL.
    Well he was world-level ice dancer.
    "I miss footwork that has any kind of a discernible pattern. The goal of a step sequence should not be for a skater to show the same ice coverage as a Zamboni and take about as much time as an ice resurface. " ~ Zemgirl, reflecting on a pre-IJS straight line sequence

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BittyBug View Post
    Well he was world-level ice dancer.
    So was Pasquale Camerlengo but he does not move like Morozov these days but thanks captain obvious for filling me in...

I have heard Tanith Belbin and meryl davis mention how impressed they are that Igor still skates so well. He does BTW as i have seen him a few times working with skaters. I am just often impressed by how good some coaches are even years after they retired. Natalia Deller's edge control, posture and precision is just insane to see. Almost none of the top dancers can duplicate her movement precisely... especially freestyle skaters lol.

I digress

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by casken View Post
    So, classical piano sp's for both Chan and Takahashi. Interesting choice/strategy on Takahashi and Morozov's part.
    Adding to both Chan and Takahashi skating their long programs to opera music.

I can already hear the here over the PCS marks, particularly the IN mark, at worlds.

Ironically enough, the free skate LOOKS like something Morozov would do and not Shae- Lynn
    Yes, indeed. Takahashi's LP choreo of this season actually reminded me quite a lot of the I Pagliacci LP Morozov choreographed for Voronov last season.

vCash
    arakwafan2006, -97 points for an all caps title.

Why does Morozov have to destroy the most interesting skaters?

Ilynikh/Katsalapov, Leonova, Amodio and now the amazing, one-in-a-million Takahashi who's capable of interpreting the music like nobody else.

Can't he start choreographing for Max Aaron instead?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VarBar View Post
    Yes, indeed. Takahashi's LP choreo of this season actually reminded me quite a lot of the I Pagliacci LP Morozov choreographed for Voronov last season.
    I know I'm in a minority and that I'm probably gonna get for saying this (or dismissed as a Takahashi fan who can't think straight, or whatever), but I don't think that free program is either bad nor feels anything like most of Morozov's bad FS choreo. And that's coming from someone who a) hated Morozov's R&J for Takahashi (among others) and who b) also loved S-L Bourne's Mambo because it was a whole lot of fun, but who thought it wasn't that great purely on a choreographic level, in particular for a competitive program

I agree that it's nowhere near Blues for Klook from last season, but that was a masterpiece as far as I am concerned, both from a choreographic and from an interpretation point of view, so almost any new program wouldn't compare favorably

But I think the issue with Pagliacci is more down to the choice of music itself, Takahashi's own difficulty with the quads (requiring long setting up times that essentially waste one minute at the beginning of the program) and the fact that he started it only in September (which didn't leave him enough time to grow into it before the beginning of the GP season). However, while the choreography is not genius, I think S-L Bourne actually did a pretty competent job with it - it at least has direction and purpose (although one could regret that the development is kept linear), things that are often missing from Morozov's recent FS choreos, imo. And that Takahashi has shown a growing understanding of it through the season so far

That's the first thing that popped in my mind when I read about the Moonlight Sonata. I hope for them that they know what they are doing (knowing Morozov, I'm not so sure ) because this program will put him head-to-head with Chan who has arguably one of the 2-3 best SP choreos this season in the men's field

So yeah I can hear the cries and the rumble from here as well

vCash
    I know I'm in a minority and that I'm probably gonna get for saying this (or dismissed as a Takahashi fan who can't think straight, or whatever), but I don't think that free program is either bad nor feels anything like most of Morozov's bad FS choreo. And that's coming from someone who a) hated Morozov's R&J for Takahashi (among others) and who b) also loved S-L Bourne's Mambo because it was a whole lot of fun, but who thought it wasn't that great purely on a choreographic level, in particular for a competitive program

I agree that it's nowhere near Blues for Klook from last season, but that was a masterpiece as far as I am concerned, both from a choreographic and from an interpretation point of view, so almost any new program wouldn't compare favorably

But I think the issue with Pagliacci is more down to the choice of music itself, Takahashi's own difficulty with the quads (requiring long setting up times that essentially waste one minute at the beginning of the program) and the fact that he started it only in September (which didn't leave him enough time to grow into it before the beginning of the GP season). However, while the choreography is not genius, I think S-L Bourne actually did a pretty competent job with it - it at least has direction and purpose (although one could regret that the development is kept linear), things that are often missing from Morozov's recent FS choreos, imo. And that Takahashi has shown a growing understanding of it through the season so far

That's the first thing that popped in my mind when I read about the Moonlight Sonata. I hope for them that they know what they are doing (knowing Morozov, I'm not so sure ) because this program will put him head-to-head with Chan who has arguably one of the 2-3 best SP choreos this season in the men's field

So yeah I can hear the cries and the rumble from here as well
    My comment about the free looking like Nikoli's was not negative. I really prefer it. I truly hope he wins in Sochi! I think that Shae Lynn left the program somewhat bare but it seem's paced well enough for Dai.

To your point about R&J by Nickoli, I just believe that innovation for 4+ mins is not his strongsuite.He can take a theme for a short program however and really deliver.

vCash
    The 5 minutes long video discussing Daisuke Takahashi's new SP has been translated in English by the usual suspect (aka izayukam)

http://youtu.be/ABy6sH4VvoQ

vCash
    The 5 minutes long video discussing Daisuke Takahashi's new SP has been translated in English by the usual suspect (aka izayukam)

http://youtu.be/ABy6sH4VvoQ
    I greatly enjoyed watching Daisuke practice, but did not have English subtitles. I did have Japanese subtitles, so maybe it is going to be translated - but isn't done yet.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by maureenfarone View Post
    I greatly enjoyed watching Daisuke practice, but did not have English subtitles. I did have Japanese subtitles, so maybe it is going to be translated - but isn't done yet.
    I've rechecked and the subtitles are definitely there (the Japanese subtitles are the ones from the original recording)

If they don't appear automatically, click on the [cc] under the video which should make them appear as well as a menu with different captions settings

vCash
    I've rechecked and the subtitles are definitely there (the Japanese subtitles are the ones from the original recording)

If they don't appear automatically, click on the [cc] under the video which should make them appear as well as a menu with different captions settings
    Just watched and the english subtitles come up nicely. Thanks for posting. Risky move but I'm sure he'll pull it off - he is such an artist and although it is a standard piece (as they call it), it is a beautiful piece with a lot of emotion that suits him well. I love playing this piece with its long lyrical melody in the sustained notes in the right hand with the sonorous broke triads and underlying bass notes.

vCash

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast