Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash

Buying Washer/Dryer - advice needed

My husband and I recently had a wedding shower with his dad's side of the family and we told them that all we wanted was a washer and dryer. Obviously we didn't expect anyone to get us a washer or dryer but we did get a lot of cash, gift cards, etc. We are now looking into our choices and it is really overwhelming. It reminds me of trying to buy a television. Does anyone have any advice? I think I know I want a top loading washer as the front loading washers require you to wipe off the ring around the door and you have to leave the door open. I can't risk forgetting to do this (and I will) and having my entire washing machine smell like mildew. I don't know which brand is best but the ones I kept seeing are Whirlpool, LG, Samsung and GE. We currently have GE and will not be going with them again so it seems to come down to those other brands.

I went to H.H. Gregg today and I think we will buy from them. They have free delivery and carry away, offer 5% discount if you finance with them (we can buy it outright but I could use it then pay it off and my credit score could be helped, too) and they are negotiable! They also have a 30 day price guarantee so I don't have to worry about just missing out on a big sale. I do need to ask about installation because the free delivery did not mention anything about that. Installation could be one of those surprise charges they hit you with to recoup their loss on the delivery.

So, any advice? I basically need to know what brands you have had good experiences with and what brands have been nightmares? Any specific machines you want to brag about or warn me about? All advice is appreciated.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    My father-in-law the appliance repairman recommends top loaders, few bells and whistles (which don't add a lot of convenience but do result in astronomical repair bills), and usually says that Maytag is the best value and quality.

vCash
    I use a front-loading Samsung washer, and it's not a big deal to remember to leave the door open. I have a laundry-dedicated hand towel that I just wedge in the hinge, and it keeps the door open enough to air dry. I don't even wipe the ring (though sometimes I do when I'm feeling ambitious, it's just a quick swipe). Samsung is really nice, I would recommend. This is the washer.

My biggest piece of advice when buying appliances is to check the warranty. How long is it covered for, what does it cover, can you deal with the selling store or does it have to go through the manufacturer, etc.

vCash
    We love our mid level Electrolux pair.
    AceOn6, the golf loving skating fan

vCash
    The technicians I know all prefer top loaders. Fwiw most of the techs I know are older guys who were doing repairs before the front loaders became popular.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cachoo View Post
    The technicians I know all prefer top loaders. Fwiw most of the techs I know are older guys who were doing repairs before the front loaders became popular.
    The 20-something that works with my F-i-L bought a top loader for his new house, fwiw. The issue is not their discomfort, it is that they are well aware that there are more repair needs and repairs are costlier.

vCash
    I just bought a Samsung front-loading washer and dryer and am loving them so far. They're not the really expensive models. I just can't see paying that much. Mine are stackable because there was no other option in my house unless I wanted my dryer out in the storage building where the previous owner had hers. I hadn't bought a washer in nearly 25 years, so I'm amazed at how little water this new one uses and how quiet it is.

vCash
    I hate top loaders. They ruin the clothes I find, and it doesn't come out clean (you can't get top loaders in Europe either, when we moved here my top loader drove me crazy)

It is not a hassle at all to leave the door open. If you keep forgetting, and you get a bit of smell, simply run the washer empty on a short program. I never wipe the door, and I have never had any bad smell or mildew.

If you can afford it, get a Miele. Unfortunatly I the US they only sell the top of the line units, but they basically last forever. My mom got a Miele when she built her house in 1970, it was still there when she sold it 35 years later.

In the end we couldn't afford one here and got LG washer and dryer and I really like them.

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    I have a front-loader and don't leave the door open most of the time (it gets in the way). Every 100 washes, a reminder light comes on telling me to clean the washer. And I do. I've been doing this for years and have never had a problem with smell. I have some friends who did, but they never cleaned theirs.

However, if you want a toploader, that's all moot, and everyone's experiences will differ to such a degree that I don't think personal experience is much help. Consumer Reports' top three recommended top loaders are one Samsung and two LGs.

There was a thread about this a while back; I'll see if I can find it.

ETA:

http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...ecommendations
    http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...-Washer-advice
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

vCash
    I have the undercounter washer and dryer front-loaders. I had Asko machines for about 15 years, and about 1.5 years ago I replaced the washer with a Bosch Axxis model. I love it. It cleans the clothes really well, has a lot of cycles to choose from, and uses very little water or electricity. I had the repairman out today to do a dishwasher repair, and he told me that he and his colleagues really like the Bosch front-loading washing machines. I will never again own a top-loading machine as it does not clean the clothes as well as a front loader and it uses too much water. Plus the Bosch washer heats its own water which saves on hot water usage in the house.

vCash
    I have Whirlpool washer & dryer that I bought over 20 years ago and they are still working. The washer is top loader and I wouldn't buy any other kind.

vCash
    We love our Fisher & Paykel top loader. One of the few (well, as of 7.5 years ago) top loaders that is still fairly water-conserving (or, as they call it, "AquaSmart"). Also Energy Star rated. Have not needed any service or fixes since we got it. www.fisherpaykel.com
    BARK LESS. WAG MORE.

Re-registered User
    vCash
    Just don't buy a cheap top-loader. Mine eats my clothes all the time. (Stretchy and long things catch in the agitator and are ripped, stretched and ruined.) I'm buying a front loading machine as soon as I've paid for my oven. Anyone want a used washer?
    ‎"You emerge victorious from the maze you've been travelling in." Oct 21,2012- Best Fortune Cookie Ever!

vCash
    Are you going to get High Efficiency (HE) machines? They are more expensive to start but I think you probably should, given the long life of most washers and dryers. The savings on electricity and water use adds up fast over time especially if you have a family and the machines get heavy use. Frequency of repair records for the various brands (Consumer Reports) are pretty important too.

If you're getting HE, I think the front loader washer is the only way to go. A small amount of water rests in the bottom of the tub, and the clothes are rotated in and out of it. You've seen this kind of action in the laundromat machines. I do not personally understand how a top loading high efficiency machine can get every item wet and then clean, and still use minimum amount of water. Someone with a top loading HE machine told me that the items toward the top of the load seemed almost dry after the wash cycle, and she wondered if they even got washed. Front loaders are (i believe) fundamentally more efficient and easier on your clothes from what other people say here.

I got a High Efficiency LG washer and dryer set in the summer of 2011 and have been very satisfied. They are fast (most loads take 40 minutes to wash or dry), quiet, and easy to operate. They look rather jazzy too, and are an asset to my house. Leaving the door open is not an issue--easy to remember. You can write yourself a neat little note "Leave me open" with a sharpie or a post-it on the door until it becomes habitual. I keep a calendar by the machine to track the monthly tub wash--simple matter of putting bleach in the little drawer and pushing the TUB CLEAN button. Wiping the gasket is not an issue--i do it sometimes and not others. There's another filter cleaning maintenance task that needs to be done now and then but this isn't a problem either.

Don't fall for all the bells and whistles on some of the absurdly expensive high end HE machines. You won't use them. Get a good quality entry level HE set and I think you'll be making a good investment.

Sexy Superhero
    vCash
    For the dryer, make sure the lint trap is in a good location for easy cleaning. Do not get the lint trap that is pulled from the top of the dryer, because everytime you clean it, lint specks fly all over the top of the dryer and you have extra cleaning to do.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    Are you going to get High Efficiency (HE) machines? They are more expensive to start but I think you probably should, given the long life of most washers and dryers. The savings on electricity and water use adds up fast over time especially if you have a family and the machines get heavy use. Frequency of repair records for the various brands (Consumer Reports) are pretty important too.
    Also, check with your local water company. When I replaced a non-HE washer with a HE one, I got a $100 rebate from the water company (I got my machine from my local Sears, so they just told me), awesome.

vCash
    I have a front loader, and have never had to wipe it, leave the door open, or do anything with it. Not one repair, problem, or a single bad smell. Mildew has absolutely never been an issue.

Bought a Bosch and cannot recommend it enough. We've also moved a few times with it, and never a problem.

Beach Bum
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by vesperholly View Post
    I use a front-loading Samsung washer, and it's not a big deal to remember to leave the door open. I have a laundry-dedicated hand towel that I just wedge in the hinge, and it keeps the door open enough to air dry. I don't even wipe the ring (though sometimes I do when I'm feeling ambitious, it's just a quick swipe). Samsung is really nice, I would recommend. This is the washer..
    I have that one too. Sometimes, my husband forgets and shuts the door, but it has never had a mildew smell. I only swipe the ring once in a blue moon. It gets my clothes so much cleaner than the top loader I have at the beach that I have to bring stained stuff home to wash it.
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

vCash
    They now make top loaders that wash without an agitator in the middle of the washer . For me that was my main issue with top loader, the agitator would twist up and gnarl the clothes . My mom has one (Kenmore) so far no issues, so if I were to get a top loader I'd definitely choose one without an agitator.

I have a front loader myself (LG) , no issues for 7 years, uses little water and gets the clothes clean without twisting them , so I'm happy with it.

vCash
    OMG. I feel so old right now. You were just a teenager jumping on the floor! Now you're married with a husband. CONGRATS!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast