Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by luenatic View Post
    OMG. I feel so old right now. You were just a teenager jumping on the floor! Now you're married with a husband. CONGRATS!
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by milanessa View Post
    You should ask BigB and see if he still got that video clip!

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I think our best bet is a top loading washer with no agitator. Those are easier on the clothes and I don't have to worry about cleaning it or leaving the door open.

Quote Originally Posted by luenatic View Post
    OMG. I feel so old right now. You were just a teenager jumping on the floor! Now you're married with a husband. CONGRATS!
    LOL! I wish I still had those video (if not to just look back and laugh at myself) but those were lost long ago, to the person who asked.

It was a video of myself doing off ice jumps. I think I once posted a video of a 3axel. My jumps would surely have been < or << under this crappy system. lol
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    Here is a cheap and practical answer. Check the Speed Queen top loaders with dials, not electronic panels. I wanted to never, ever have to deal with warranties and waiting for service repair, etc. again. This washer has been excellent. You might have to look at independent appliances places to find the Speed Queen machines.

vCash
    My friend just bought a set and top loaders were recommended. There is a Consumer's Report article out there which was fairly recent and gave some best models if you want to check it out. Some brands that were the best in the past are not necessarily the greatest at this point.

vCash
    I'm curious--why are people leaving their washer doors open and wiping things down? I've never done that, and can't imagine why I ever would .

Is this an issue with fabric softener?

Go Denmark!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by agalisgv View Post
    I'm curious--why are people leaving their washer doors open and wiping things down? I've never done that, and can't imagine why I ever would .

Is this an issue with fabric softener?
    Because of the way front loaders work, they can't drain the water completely, there will always be some moisture left inside the drum and especially inside the gasket ring in the door. In addition, the door has to be shut completely tight (unlike a top loader), so water doesn't run out when you run it , so the moisture trapped can theoretically generate a bit of mildew or mildew smell.
    I find that if you run your washer more than once a week, it wont happen anyway, but I like to keep the door open anyway ( I never wipe the gasket).

I am not sure why this is not an issue in dishwashers, as they will trap moisture too, and they need to be sealed completely too. I guess they don't have a gasket seal so you don't have a water entrapment in the same way?

In any case, I really don't think it is a real issue - I have never heard of anyone complaining of mildew in their washer, and you can't get top loaders in Denmark. But then again, I would NEVER own a toploader again and if we move to a house with one I would order a new washer asap. I don't understand why they are still sold.

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    i dont understand what makes the front loaders so attractive to people. i just got a new machine and i told them top loader only.
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    We got an LG top loader. The main benefit to the front loader was that it cleans better and is easier on your clothes. We don't go out and roll in the dirt and our current top loader washes our clothes just fine so we don't anticipate a problem. It does not have the center agitator so it will be easier on the clothes as it is and this one has enough room for a king size comforter. Thank goodness because my cat likes to use it as a bathroom when I neglect her litter box. That saves us $30 each trip to the dry cleaner right there. We also got an LG dryer but we did not opt for the nicer version that includes steam. They will be delivered Saturday and I can't wait to use it. Our current washer is so loud on the spin cycle that it sounds like we live on an airport runway. Even with the door closed to our laundry room we can hardly hear the television. These are the ones we got, I did have to laugh a little because the washing machine kind of looks like a giant bread maker :

Washer
    Dryer

They were on sale for $629 each and this made them the cheapest of the higher end models. The only ones cheaper were the really plain traditional looking machines that we currently have and did not want again. I would have liked a fancier looking one, and there was one we thought about, but in the end it was an extra $300 for just a little more room and this one already has enough space. I like the look of the other ones better, especially the display, but that is just cosmetic.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by maatTheViking View Post
    In any case, I really don't think it is a real issue - I have never heard of anyone complaining of mildew in their washer, and you can't get top loaders in Denmark. But then again, I would NEVER own a toploader again and if we move to a house with one I would order a new washer asap. I don't understand why they are still sold.
    It actually IS an issue, although it is more common with older front loaders like the Maytag Neptune, which settled a class action lawsuit over this issue in 2009; there is a similar lawsuit pending against Whirlpool right now, among others. The mold grows under the boot (which is the official name for the gasket) and on the outside of the washer drum where you can't see it (because any that starts growing on the inside gets rubbed off regularly). Mold LOVES soap and fabric softener residue, and because of the low water use, front-loaders and HE washers are prone to mold growth. It is a particular problem for people who overuse soap and fabric softener (most, especially those who do not use HE detergent in their HE washers) and have hard water (many). The first sign of the problem is usually that your towels start smelling mustbut by then it's usually pretty bad.

I am allergic to mold, among other things, and I get a lot of information from different allergy doctor sources about preventing mold attacks; front loading washer mold problems show up a lot on my feeds. Many people never do have problems, but for me, cleaning the washer regularly is something I consider a necessity, especially since we have a humid basement. It's also a good idea to sanitize your washer after someone in the house has been sick, because viruses and bacteria have been found living happily in washing machines and dryers; I've seen reports of a couple of other studies that have found this as well.

Congrats on the new machines, BigB! I hope they work well for you!
    Trolling dates all the way back to 397 B.C. - People began following Plato around and would make fart noises after everything he said.

vCash
    This has been a few years ago, but I had to have the heating element changed on my brand new LG dryer. The repairmen said they had seen it happen with the model and didn't recommend LG. Haven't had any more problems with it. Have to admit I had a problem with a smelly front loader. Used the smelly wash stuff and it has been better. I should have gotten a top loader since the washing machine was close to a door and hard to leave open all the time. Oh well live and learn. Congratulations.

vCash
    Count me int the top loader fans. We have a may tag bravos I think , it has no agitator and is he...I think with a family and the amount of use they get top loaders are the only choice, and this is after two front loader experiences ..the whirlpool Le btw lasted less than 2 years.... The repair guy tht we use, said it was not unusual for whirlpool (?????)

Go Denmark!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    It actually IS an issue, although it is more common with older front loaders like the Maytag Neptune, which settled a class action lawsuit over this issue in 2009; there is a similar lawsuit pending against Whirlpool right now, among others. The mold grows under the boot (which is the official name for the gasket) and on the outside of the washer drum where you can't see it (because any that starts growing on the inside gets rubbed off regularly). Mold LOVES soap and fabric softener residue, and because of the low water use, front-loaders and HE washers are prone to mold growth. It is a particular problem for people who overuse soap and fabric softener (most, especially those who do not use HE detergent in their HE washers) and have hard water (many). The first sign of the problem is usually that your towels start smelling mustbut by then it's usually pretty bad.
    Interesting, especially since my experience with 'everyone' is everyone when I grew up in Denmark, and those 2 brands are American brands. I wonder if it is a design issue?

It's also a good idea to sanitize your washer after someone in the house has been sick, because viruses and bacteria have been found living happily in washing machines and dryers; I've seen reports of a couple of other studies that have found this as well.
    In any case, I always use the sanitize option for bedsheets, so I run the sanitize clean at least every 14 days. Maybe that helps?

I also noticed that many American brand washers don't have a sanitize option (or a water heater), especially the lower end models. I don't recall having seen one without a sanitize ('boil wash' - 90-100 degrees C) option in Denmark, we had a million year old Miele in our apartment in Copenhagen (it was 70's brown, but probably from the late 80s), and it had that option.
    Besides bedsheets, kitchen wipes (reusable - another thing I don't see here in the US, actually) needs to be sanitized I feel.

This actually reminds me of some of those really frustrating minor cultural differences when I moved here - the no specific degrees on washers here for instance (just cold, warm, etc) and I am used to 30 degrees, 40 degrees, 60 degrees, 90 degrees programs as minimums. That was very frustrating - a little silly maybe looking back, but there can really be so many things when moving to foreign country, and this really surprised me.

Any way, BigB, congrats on you washer! No agitator top loader sounds like the right choice for you . LG is a great brand.

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Interesting, especially since my experience with 'everyone' is everyone when I grew up in Denmark, and those 2 brands are American brands. I wonder if it is a design issue?
    That was supposedly the case with the Neptune. I'm not sure about the Whirlpool; that's a fairly new case. Kenmore will probably be next, as I understand there are a lot of complaints with most of their models.

I have Whirlpool Duets and I believe that the older models of those have a different boot; I know when I bought mine, I specifically asked about the boot design and was told that it was new! improved! and was not subect to the mold problem. It's open rather than closed, which I find interesting.

But I still run a Clean Machine cycle faithfully, even though I think my machine is clean (I took it apart a while ago to fix it and saw no mold or anything else). I like to breathe. it's a small price to pay, even if it's paranoid.

I also noticed that many American brand washers don't have a sanitize option (or a water heater), especially the lower end models.
    One of the reasons for that, and for the mold issue, is that most Americans wash their clothes mostly on cold cycles and sometimes warm, but rarely in hot water. This is one of the reasons that bacteria tend to be present in laundry, too--no one is killing the stuff.

When you say re-usable kitchen wipes, do you mean dishcloths and dishtowels? Those and all my towels get washed on the Sanitize cycle. Sheets, too (dust allergy--mites must go!).
    Trolling dates all the way back to 397 B.C. - People began following Plato around and would make fart noises after everything he said.

Go Denmark!
    vCash
    One of the reasons for that, and for the mold issue, is that most Americans wash their clothes mostly on cold cycles and sometimes warm, but rarely in hot water. This is one of the reasons that bacteria tend to be present in laundry, too--no one is killing the stuff.
    Interesting. Most people in Denmark would run most non-delicate things on 60 degrees (which is hot, not warm I think - 140 F). With modern soaps this should actually kill most things (They actually say to run kitchen stuff and sheets on this too, but I am not sure I believe them). Most 'nice' clothes on 40 degrees (104 F), and only super delicate items and wool on 30 (which is cold, 86 F).

When you say re-usable kitchen wipes, do you mean dishcloths and dishtowels? Those and all my towels get washed on the Sanitize cycle. Sheets, too (dust allergy--mites must go!).
    No, I don't think so. It is something I don't know the English word for. In Denmark you usually have 2 types of kitchen cloths, a dish towel and a 'karklud' which is smaller, about 20x20 cm (approx. 8x8 inches). It can be made of knit fabric or some modern fabric type that looks like felt, but isn't, or microfiber. Usually you will use it everyday to wipe your kitchen area and dining table, and then replace it every night with a new.

You also have 'floor wipes' which are similar, but bigger, you use those to wash your floor by wrapping it around a stiff brush (either with or without a shaft). Most private persons don't have floor mobs, but these things. Make it easier to clean it out, I suppose, as you just wash the floor wipe.

In addition to all this, I haven't found a regular floor broom that looks like one I would get in Denmark. So strange these things are different!

yay for sanitize!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12