Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    vCash
    Just another example of too much to soon. Being so young without loving parents to guide her then coming to a strange country with all that fame and money coming in had disaster written all over it.

vCash
    I wonder if she would have been better off not winning the Olympics, or even any medal. Maybe she would have stayed in her country and had a more stable life. Her life doesn't appear to have been a fairytale by any means.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Here, troll, troll, troll... Here, troll, troll, troll...

Quote Originally Posted by snoopyskater View Post
    I wonder if she would have been better off not winning the Olympics, or even any medal. Maybe she would have stayed in her country and had a more stable life. Her life doesn't appear to have been a fairytale by any means.
    It's hard to know whether her life would have been better without a successful skating career. Her father had abandoned her late mother and Oksana when she was just a toddler as I understand it, her grandmother and mother both died and she basically had no one or nothing except for her skating talent. Not sure about the Ukrainian support system for orphans in the post-Soviet age.

I just hope Oksana is okay and finds some peace, stability and happiness in her life.
    Congrats to my ♥Baroque Rock Princess Adelina♥Meryl&Charlie♥Tatiana&Maxim♥!Team ♥Mirai♥Adam♥Julia♥

vCash
    Given what happens to many young girls in Eastern Europe with no home, no family, and no future prospects, I highly doubt Oksana's life would have been more stable. In fact, I cringe at the thought of what probably would have happened to her.

vCash
    This is snoopysnake writing, not snoopyskater.

Was she with the current boyfriend yet in the fall of 2011? (That was when I saw Oksana skate at Evening with Champions and got to sit next to her at the meet & greet photo op.) At that time she seemed to be very together and friendly.

It sounds like her BF is toxic. I hope that she can get herself whatever she really needs. Perhaps she could be happiest back in Ukraine.

vCash
    What a disgusting dress!!!

vCash
    I think she moved to the US because Galina did. Because she was a minor and had no family Galina was controlling her money. After she won the OGM agents, managers, and boyfriends began trying to separate her from Galina so they could have access to her money.

It was a conflict of interest for Galina to be both receiving income from her as coach and agent, and making her financial decisions, but since there was no one else to act as parent I don't know what else she could have done. I don't think Oksana would have been better off without her.

Given the fact that Oksana had so little stability in her life it probably isn't hard to plant doubt in her mind and make her distrust the people close to her.

vCash
    Galina was her coach and her family but she wasn't her agent. Oksana had an excellent agent in the US, Michael Carlisle of Wm. Morris. Michael negotiated some major contracts for her, actually at the time it was noted that she had signed contracts for more money than any first year female OGM - she was on her way to 'wealthy.' Doesn't mean she made the most over time (I would guess that is Yamaguchi) but those intial US contracts were significant and they were not negotiated by Galina.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lala View Post
    What a disgusting dress!!!
    I think the camera's flash made the dress more see-through than it actually was. I bet Oksana did not realized that and was probably mortified that that picture was posted on the Internet.

vCash

Was she with the current boyfriend yet in the fall of 2011? (That was when I saw Oksana skate at Evening with Champions and got to sit next to her at the meet & greet photo op.) At that time she seemed to be very together and friendly.

It sounds like her BF is toxic. I hope that she can get herself whatever she really needs. Perhaps she could be happiest back in Ukraine.
    He became her agent in August 2011: http://www.farinaco.com/index.php?op...=1:latest-news

I don't know if the personal relationship came first or the professional. But if Oksana's FB page was any indication, she did seem to be doing pretty well in 2011 and 2012. Although she wasn't performing on TV, it looked like she was practing at the rink regularly and she appeared to be in great physical shape. She was also sporting a more natural look in terms of clothing, hair color, and makeup. I got the sense that she was going to be OK. She still might be OK. Lawsuits aside, Oksana isn't exactly making Lindsay Lohan headlines these days. It's been sixteen years since her drunk driving accident; fifteen years since Tom Collins sent her to rehab. Some people talk about these events as if they happened last year.

I'm not sure if moving back to Ukraine is the answer. Oksana has lived in the USA since she was a teenager; she may feel more at home here. Also, if she is still struggling with substance abuse or mental health issues, she can get better help in this country. However, I think perhaps it's time for Oksana to start fresh and look for something to do outside of skating. As I said in an earlier post, Disson is the only place to go for pro skaters and clearly she has burned that bridge.

vCash
    I do not think Disson is the only place to go for pro skaters. Isn't Holiday on Ice still active in Europe? There are also shows on cruise ships. Of course these type of shows will not be televised.

Quadless
    vCash
    With all due respect to those who have skated in Holiday on Ice and/or on cruise ships, neither is really a traditional venue for an OGM, and the (meager) paycheck that either option offers reflects that. Disson is not the only place for pro skaters on a global basis, but they pretty much have a lock on the US market. Now, maybe she could get a gig with Averbukh or Art on Ice, but within North America, there's not a lot of choice for her.
    "I miss footwork that has any kind of a discernible pattern. The goal of a step sequence should not be for a skater to show the same ice coverage as a Zamboni and take about as much time as an ice resurface. " ~ Zemgirl, reflecting on a pre-IJS straight line sequence

vCash
    In 2006 I saw her skate in Davos for the Art on Ice folks (this particular show had another name but it was Oliver Hoerner and his producing team). I saw several days of rehearsal and the two weekend shows. She wasn't particularly exciting nor did she put out that much energy at any point. Nothing particularly wrong but nothing particularly right either. Ho-hum. All this a way of saying that the Art on Ice folks know her - I don't know that she was ever invited back to any of their projects. Or maybe she has turned them down in the way she turned Disson Skating down. Who knows...

Given Oksana's inconsistency on the ice over the last decade and the challenges (now including possible law suits) of dealing with her and her management, what is the "win" for any producer to hire her at this point? None as far as I can see.

There are female skaters who are easier to work with, can actually do a group number without almost wiping out one or more of the other skaters (she's famous for this!) and put out a better performance. She doesn't really have that much to offer. It didn't have to be this way but it is the way it has turned out. She has a very sweet side and can be very nice some of the time but overall I think she's a producer's headache.
    Last edited by Willowway; 02-08-2013 at 09:53 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by snoopysnake View Post

There should be a ban on overly similar screen names.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheIronLady View Post
    There should be a ban on overly similar screen names.
    I hope Snoopysnake and I don't get banned for our similar names. I really like this forum. Where else will I keep up on all the news? Can you even change your user name or do you have to register all over again?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    I do not think Disson is the only place to go for pro skaters. Isn't Holiday on Ice still active in Europe? There are also shows on cruise ships. Of course these type of shows will not be televised.
    And they would hire her? When you start this road it scares off other employers too.

vCash
    I was poking around at some old articles and reading this NY Times piece now, it's a bit eerie. She sounded rather apprehensive about moving to the States, but the rink in Odessa was falling apart so I guess she didn't have a lot of options:
    ON THE ICE WITH: Oksana Baiul

I wish Oksana hadn't turned pro right away. I know she dealt with injuries and a growth spurt so it's hard to say if she would have won any other major titles, but training probably would have given her more of an anchor in those years following the Olympics. I also think it's a shame that she really only completed two seasons on the international stage- and she used the same long program both years.

vCash
    I hope Snoopysnake and I don't get banned for our similar names. I really like this forum. Where else will I keep up on all the news? Can you even change your user name or do you have to register all over again?
    We have almost never posted in the same forums. I don't think we should have to change our names. I have had lots of FSU-ers misread my name as snoopyskate, though. I am snoopysnake because I collect Snoopy stuff and love snakes (have five pet snakes, too!)

Happy Year of the Snake!

Getting back to Oksana, she did return to Ukraine a few years ago and was reportedly coaching and involved in charities there. It sounded like she was happy and was well over her partying days.

She seemed to enjoy performing in the Evening With Champions shows and liked helping the Jimmy Fund (the charity of the show - it funds pediatric cancer research.) She did several of these shows over the years and even if her skating was up and down at least she seemed most of the time that she really wanted to be there.

Physically, Oksana was bitten late by the puberty monster, so skating-wise .she may have peaked in her teens anyway, but IMHO when she left Galina, she lost the magic in her skating, which may not even reached its full potential. Her bad lifestyle choices (drinking, smoking, not keeping trained and fit, etc) did much additional harm and I consider all of this a squandering of truly great skating talent. Today, I just hope she can have a healthy and happy life.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234