Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

vCash
    Alex tweeted not long ago:
    Thank you to everyone for the support and to @USFigureSkating for this amazing opportunity! Time to get back to work for next season! #4T

ETA Challenge Cup FS protocols link: http://kunstrijden.knsb.nl/2012-2013..._FS_Scores.pdf

Jumps: 3A+2T, 3A, 3Lz+1Lo(half loop)+3F< fall out, 3Lo, back spiral to 2A+3T< turnout, 3Lz<, 3S, 2A.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 02-24-2013 at 09:30 PM. Reason: To add FS protocols link

vCash
    So nice to see the skate at Nationals was not a fluke! This is the 3rd great FS Alexander has skated in a row, nice to see him being rewarded now that he seems to have gotten his 3a consistent! If he can add a quad, that would certainly make things interesting over the next few years. Yay!

vCash
    Congrats to Alex! Wishing him continued success!

Planning? No, no. Let's keep it suicidal.
    vCash
    Just wanted to add in my own for his excellent showing in The Hague. Hopefully he has a good summer season and manages to get more international assignments for next year.

vCash
    Even gorillas (orangutans? big apes?) love Alex Johnson.

Smooch!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessLeppard View Post
    Even gorillas (orangutans? big apes?) love Alex Johnson.

Smooch!
    I think it's an orangutan, if I'm seeing well it has orange fur and that disc-like face (I can't remember what we used to call facial characteristic) so it's the only option. Anyway, the big fellow must have been happy after that.

But this is not why i'm here, i was wondering, when did Alex start being coached by Tom Dickson?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by joeperryfan View Post
    i was wondering, when did Alex start being coached by Tom Dickson?
    In the summer of 2011, according to his online journal entry: http://www.figureskatersonline.com/a...n/journal.html
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    The Skating Lesson podcast interview with Alex Johnson (April 7, 2013): http://www.theskatinglesson.com/alex-johnson-interview/

ETA: Alex mentioned near the end of the interview that he and Tom Dickson are working on his new short program to "Stairway to Heaven" by Rodrigo y Gabriela (here's the studio version of the piece) and a new free skate that he describes as "parts of it are Nightmare on Elm Street, mixed with a waltz... I'm not so sold on it yet... it's kind of a dark piece... totally different than anything I've ever done before."
    Last edited by Sylvia; 04-07-2013 at 05:47 PM. Reason: to add music link
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

Planning? No, no. Let's keep it suicidal.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Alex mentioned near the end of the interview that he and Tom Dickson are working on his new short program to "Stairway to Heaven" by Rodrigo y Gabriela (here's the studio version of the piece) and a new free skate that he describes as "parts of it are Nightmare on Elm Street, mixed with a waltz... I'm not so sold on it yet... it's kind of a dark piece... totally different than anything I've ever done before."
    I thought it was interesting to hear he wasn't in love with Elenor Rigby at first, either. His short sounds like a great program and I can't wait to see it. Was hoping more skaters would use Rodrigo y Gabriela, but Alex & Tom Dickson's choreography?

vCash
    OH. EM. GEE.

I can't wait to see these programs.

vCash
    OH. EM. GEE.

I second that word by word. This is somewhat funny to me because I recall asking Tom Dickson who was skating to Kashmir at Challenge Cup during practices and neither one of us could really tell for sure, which, as he said himself, is never a good sign, so in a way I kind of feel like he is avenging Led Zeppelin!

vCash
    OH. EM. GEE.

Me neither!!!

I like the sound of both, but am especially intrigued by the idea of the LP.

vCash
    Quite a lovely interview with Alex, that sheds more light on his personality and background! How cool that Alex moved to Colorado specifically because he desired to get choreo from Tom Dickson, and then since they worked so well together, Tom D ended up coaching Alex along with his wife Catarina Lindgren. Cool too that Alex said growing up he was very inspired by Matt Savoie's skating to Tom Dickson's choreography. Makes me want to watch some Matt videos ...

The really enlightening aspects of Alex’s interview are his reflections on the process of training with Tom D, and how Tom D emphasizes working on fs basics via figures practice. This definitely reminds me of Tom D's interview with manleywoman (I've posted it here in different threads) in which Tom D spoke anecdotally about figures practice as a foundation for proper jump technique. IS ANYBODY LISTENING???

Alex points out how his work on fs basics has helped him improve technically, and also how innovative Tom D is in realizing the importance of figures as a key to creativity and freedom in trying new things choreographically. I mean that may be an elaboration of what Alex actually said, but based on Tom D's interview 4 years ago and the work Tom has done with skaters including Matt Savoie, Ryan Jahnke, Jeremy Abbott, Ross Miner, and now as a coach and choreographer for Alex Johnson, that's my definite take on what both Tom and Alex are saying. Can't wait to see more of their fabulous testimony on the ice come next season!

The other thing Alex spoke about which I found revealing is how he and Tom D broke down his skating. Instead of working at a surface level, Tom D got to the heart of what makes Alex tick, and he apparently encouraged Alex to examine his thoughts and desires, weaknesses and strengths. Alex also took a leap of faith in terms of trusting Tom D re music Alex didn't like at first (Eleanor Rigby). It’s interesting how Alex discovered that music actually suits his style of skating.

The lyrical guitar version of Stairway to Heaven for his new sp, I haven't heard before ... very promising. And here's the theme from A Nightmare on Elm Street, parts of which Alex said will be used for his new long program in combination with a waltz: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-_Xx9Dn0aI

That musical theme is definitely dark, as Alex mentioned, so I wonder what kind of waltz they will incorporate?

Here are a few examples of moody waltz music --

The Last Waltz, by Chopin: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPOoWVWjzxI

Dark Waltz, Hayley Westenra: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XS-fBWGtd5s
    And here's a couple dancing ballroom to the same music: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZ0trOo1nhc

Black Waltz, Avatar: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9t6F8BTwd9o

Melancholy Waltz, Gratarevalsen (from Scandinavia): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-YG7T9WzYQ

Melancholic Waltz, Emils Darzins http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WW2FwJqf2Pw

Davidsbundlertanze, Robert Schumann http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDmZVfBgv5A (the last movement #18, is a waltz)

Alex also said that the dark music theme is completely different for him and he's not that sold on it, kind of similar to how he hadn't been sold on Eleanor Rigby initially either. Obviously, it's a work-in-progress (as Alex said) and it must be an exciting path on another new adventure (especially after Alex has experienced such a rewarding season). I love how Alex also mentioned the positive energy in the Colorado rink training with other top U.S. skaters.

It would be intriguing to hear how Tom D came up with the idea for the long program music (horror movie theme mixed with a waltz). I wonder what waltz they may have already selected. Probably Tom D is as inspired by working with Alex as Alex is by working with Tom D, and that breeds success.

I wish a panel discussion could be assembled and posted on youtube with dance and skating choreographers discussing their work process and music selection process. Perhaps one of the closest things available right now are the random podcast interviews with skating choreographers, and the Young Artists Series created by Audrey Weisiger, with young choreographers creating work and receiving feedback.

Ha ha, I also wonder how many dark-themed horror music selections, and waltz selections, and Afternoon of a Faun versions will end up being picked now by various skaters stumped for ideas. In any case, it probably pays to select music that works best for one's individual style of skating and to bring something unique to it.

vCash
    That Nightmare on Elm Street theme is plenty creepy.

vCash
    ^^ Yes, definitely. Of course I've heard of that famous, pioneering horror flick but I'm not a fan of horror films. However, the music is interesting, and apparently very classic re that genre according to some of the posted comments on youtube.

In any case, I can see why Alex says the music is different for him. Perhaps something similar to the melody from Black Waltz would work in accompaniment, but of course without the lyrics. The Hayley Westenra Dark Waltz song also might work without the lyrics -- but it all depends on how it's put together with the selections they take from the horror theme music. Very interesting choice however it works out. Tom Dickson is so creative.

Now, if another skater is interested in skating to a dark theme, maybe the music from Dark Knight? Or I wonder has someone already skated to this soundtrack?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8Jb9eJ6tts

Might the above theme suit Max Aaron perhaps? -- Sorry, I know this is Alex's thread, and I wish him lots of good luck for the new season!

vCash
    He seems really promising. Can't wait to see the new problems.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Macassar88 View Post
    He seems really promising. Can't wait to see the new problems.
    I'm sure Alex and Tom D are not working to introduce new "problems" for the new season.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    I'm sure Alex and Tom D are not working to introduce new "problems" for the new season.
    Whoops my phone autocorrected programs to problems
    Lol!

vCash
    I just started a Tom Dickson interview thread in GSD in which he discusses the process of creating Alex's "Eleanor Rigby" FS (I posted an excerpt): http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...th-Tom-Dickson

I'm not going to get into specifics, but it's certainly frozen over.
    vCash
    I noticed that Alex is competing in Pre-bronze Ice Dance at Adult Nationals - so within the past 18 months, he's competed in mens singles, adult ice dance, and novice pairs. Multi-talented guy!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast