Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

vCash

Alexander Johnson cheer thread!

I'm the self appointed Alexander Johnson FSU promoter. Let's cheer for Alexander and his 2013 Challenge Cup assignment! Have a great skate and have fun!

http://www.challengecup2013.nl/schedule-results/

If you're not familiar with Alexander Johnson, here is Alexander's FS at 2013 US Nationals:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-1AI1fXdiE

vCash
    What he did at US Nationals was fantastic. I've discovered him, and that's a good thing for me.
    His reaction after his program was nice.

vCash
    My first trip to Nationals and my favorite performance to boot!

vCash
    Nice to see he's getting a chance to compete internationally and hopefully get some ranking points. Hope he has two great skates and enjoys the experience....when was the last time he had an international assignment 2009? I know a repeat of his Nationals LP is asking for a lot, but here's hoping

vCash
    This thread made me come into the Trash Can.

My interest in figure skating had been waning, but then I saw Alex skate at Nationals. I'm so excited for him to be able to go to Challenge Cup.

vCash
    I hope that Alex can build on his wonderful performance at Nationals.

vCash
    IMO his FS was the winning program on the PCS at Nationals. No other program even came close, even Abbott's.

Best of luck to him at the Challenge Cup!

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    His 3lutz half loop 3flip sequence was just incredible.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    Thanks for this thread.

I've always enjoyed watching Alexander's skating, and it is such a pleasure to see him perform so well at Nationals. It was particularly touching after his performance to see Alex sobbing happily and to see his coach and choreographer, Tom Dickson, wiping away tears too. Everything came together so beautifully in that program. Do you think it would have been as poignant if Alex had skated to a vocal version of the music? I don't. This instrumental version works so much better with the choreography than vocals would.

Kudos to Alexander, and kudos to Tom Dickson.

vCash
    I remember Johnson from the previous three Nationals (2010 - 17th; 2011 - 16th; 2012 - 15th) and was glad to see him finally make the top 10.
    My job requires me to be a juggler, but that does not mean that I enjoy working with clowns.

vCash
    This was beautiful! Now, explain to me why NBC didn't bother to show this performance during their coverage of US Nationals.

vCash
    Alex was easily the best performance of the entire event for me. He epitomized all that I love about skating. Great technical ability combined with amazing artistry and pure emotion. I could watch that performance over and over. And his reaction and the reaction of Tom was just icing on the cake. It's performances like his that make me love this sport so much!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by paskatefan View Post
    This was beautiful! Now, explain to me why NBC didn't bother to show this performance during their coverage of US Nationals.
    NBC shows the top 9 male skaters after the SP.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by merrywidow View Post
    NBC shows the top 9 male skaters after the SP.
    This year, NBC showed the final 2 groups of men live (10 free skates out of 20 total).

Johnson skated #7 (2nd group of the 4 FS groups). NBC should have found a way to squeeze his taped performance into the live broadcast, IMO.

ETA that Alex Johnson's last journal posted on his official site was back in October 2011: http://www.figureskatersonline.com/alexanderjohnson/
    Hopefully his site will be updated in the near future!
    Last edited by Sylvia; 02-06-2013 at 08:27 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    They needed that time to hype Gracie Gold.
    My job requires me to be a juggler, but that does not mean that I enjoy working with clowns.

vCash
    I LOVE THIS THREAD. I AM NOW ADDICTED. He's the best of both worlds. nice

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    They needed that time to hype Gracie Gold.

Seriously though, I now am actually happy to have spent the money to buy access on the icenetwork - just getting the chance to discover him (it was the first time I watched US Nats, and I never saw him skate before) was well worth it

And I also can't believe that he got assigned to Challenge Cup, meaning I know have a chance to see him live Living in Europe and not travelling often to the US, I didn't think that would EVER happen ^-^

vCash
    I still cannot believe this performance. The jumps, the edging, the choreography, interpretation... oh... my...GOODNESS!!! I wish more than anything that this wont be the best we see from him. I hope that the wrong people dont get brought in to "help" him and he lose what he's got. I hope so much but most of all I hope i get to see him again and more often.

Did you see the pattern into the loop and the jump itself? The BEST thing is discovering something fresh and new thats beautiful and right under your nose. ahhh... i cant stop watching it.

vCash
    That and we needed the... what... 4-5 minute interview... with Evan L. during the warm-up of the second-to-last group. Which could have easily been used as time to show Alexander's skate. I was hoping/praying/whatever that NBC would find a way to show it, since it looked very likely that he might have scored enough to place in the top 6 at that point... though since they didn't find time to show David/Ladwig's pewter-medal winning free skate the day before, I didn't think it would happen.

It was the highlight FS of the men's event for me as well. Clean skate with a beautiful genuine performance. What more could any skater dream of at nationals?

He's a great kid. Talked with him a bit a few years ago at Governing Council, without realizing "who" he was. Bright guy with a good head on his shoulders, and really down to earth. I wish him the best this upcoming season!

vCash
    Alexander's free skate to was my favorite program of all of Nationals (and I saw almost all events from Novice through Senior, including some Intermediates)! He has exquisite line and extension and brilliant choreography. I like his modern dance style. I've re-watched that program several times since. I remember him as a Junior because of his textbook camel spin.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast