Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Yogurt

Mad for mangelwurzels
    vCash

Yogurt

Nice, innit?
    Be with me always—take any form—drive me mad! only do not leave me in this abyss, where I cannot find you! Oh, God! it is unutterable! I cannot live without my life! I cannot live without my soul!"

vCash
    A yogurt thread!

It's hard to find vegetarian yogurt with fruit. So many of them use gelatin. So far, the only ones I've found are at Whole Foods. Are there any grocery store brands without gelatin? (Grocery stores that don't require me to drive across town)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessLeppard View Post
    A yogurt thread!

It's hard to find vegetarian yogurt with fruit. So many of them use gelatin. So far, the only ones I've found are at Whole Foods. Are there any grocery store brands without gelatin? (Grocery stores that don't require me to drive across town)
    Maybe consider making your own yogurt? My mom bought me a yogurt maker and I love it! You just need a starter culture (either a couple of tablespoons of store bought yogurt or powder) and pour in 1/2 gallon of milk--and 8 hrs later, voila, fresh delicious yogurt! Which you can then save a bit for a new starter culture.

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by altai_rose View Post
    Maybe consider making your own yogurt? My mom bought me a yogurt maker and I love it! You just need a starter culture (either a couple of tablespoons of store bought yogurt or powder) and pour in 1/2 gallon of milk--and 8 hrs later, voila, fresh delicious yogurt! Which you can then save a bit for a new starter culture.
    I'm going to guess if she's concerned about gelatin, milk is also a no-go? And if someone can come up an almond milk one that isn't weirdly pudding-like, do let me know...

Personally my new addiction is Wallaby Organic's Greek-style with lemon pour-in. As a rule I like their Australian-style yogurt better but if they bottled that lemon separately and sold it I would be ALL OVER THAT. Whole Foods had a 5/$5 sale on Wallaby and SOLD OUT OF THE LEMON. The checkout girl was like "Call in advance and they'll try to make sure you have it, and I KNOW, isn't it the best flavor ever?"

vCash
    Oh, I have a rant about yogurt...

I am increasingly frustrated in my search for plain non-fat yogurt. I don't want greek yogurt, and I want something that has lots of critters in it. One of the reasons I eat it is because it makes my insides happy. Especially necessary as my blood pressure medication makes my insides not so happy sometimes.

There used to be three varieties in my local grocery. Two of them, Cascade Fresh and Mountain High were local, and Nancy's which isn't. Now Nancy's is the only one I can find there. So, I usually end up with Nancy's although I'd prefer to go local.

I'm just not a fan of flavored yogurts, most of them are too sweet. I like to cut up fruit in mine, which also means more fiber.

Also, Greek yogurt has less calcium than regular yogurt. Probably from the way it's made. It's like so many other foods that used to be good for you until they became popular and then become less and less what they used to be.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    I'm going to guess if she's concerned about gelatin, milk is also a no-go? And if someone can come up an almond milk one that isn't weirdly pudding-like, do let me know...

Personally my new addiction is Wallaby Organic's Greek-style with lemon pour-in. As a rule I like their Australian-style yogurt better but if they bottled that lemon separately and sold it I would be ALL OVER THAT. Whole Foods had a 5/$5 sale on Wallaby and SOLD OUT OF THE LEMON. The checkout girl was like "Call in advance and they'll try to make sure you have it, and I KNOW, isn't it the best flavor ever?"
    Does WF do rainchecks? I recently started doing this at my local grocery food chains; I never had any idea it was an option anywhere except the big discount stores (i.e. Target).
    The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are--Joseph Campbell

vCash
    I eat greek yogurt with honey and cinnamon as part of my lunch pretty much every day, and I use regular yogurt in place of sour cream in a fair number of foods. Baked potatoes topped with yogurt are amazing

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    I'm going to guess if she's concerned about gelatin, milk is also a no-go? "
    No. I'm vegetarian, not vegan.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by znachki View Post
    Oh, I have a rant about yogurt...

I am increasingly frustrated in my search for plain non-fat yogurt. I don't want greek yogurt, and I want something that has lots of critters in it. One of the reasons I eat it is because it makes my insides happy. Especially necessary as my blood pressure medication makes my insides not so happy sometimes.

There used to be three varieties in my local grocery. Two of them, Cascade Fresh and Mountain High were local, and Nancy's which isn't. Now Nancy's is the only one I can find there. So, I usually end up with Nancy's although I'd prefer to go local.

I'm just not a fan of flavored yogurts, most of them are too sweet. I like to cut up fruit in mine, which also means more fiber.

Also, Greek yogurt has less calcium than regular yogurt. Probably from the way it's made. It's like so many other foods that used to be good for you until they became popular and then become less and less what they used to be.
    I am increasingly frustrated by the search for non-Greek yogurt that doesn't have tons of sugar. Our store used to carry Stonyfield with fruit at the bottom, but now it only carries their mixed up stuff and their super-sweetened kids' yogurt (dd loves yogurt but I hate giving her the usual stuff just because of the sugar!). I'm kind of liking the Chobani Greek 100s, though--not anywhere near as blasted with sugar sweetness.
    BARK LESS. WAG MORE.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Fage non-fat, plain with sliced strawberries, mango and blackberries with a cup of good tea is heaven.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    Fage non-fat, plain with sliced strawberries, mango and blackberries with a cup of good tea is heaven.
    I knew there was a reason I liked you so much . We share some similar tastes.

Crazy about Fage - I always buy large tubs. It has replaced ice cream as my dessert. I usually put honey, hazelnuts or some preserves in mine. Lately I've been using bananas and strawberries. It has texture and heft that I like.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex View Post
    I knew there was a reason I liked you so much . We share some similar tastes.

Crazy about Fage - I always buy large tubs. It has replaced ice cream as my dessert. I usually put honey, hazelnuts or some preserves in mine. Lately I've been using bananas and strawberries. It has texture and heft that I like.
    I have always enjoyed yogurt and I am trying to acquire a taste for Greek yogurt. I buy it and eat it, but I always find myself adding stuff to it to make it sweet. I always eat it with fruit, a generous squeeze of honey and if I have it, granola. I am so hoping to outgrow this phase.

But, I do enjoy the plain on a baked potato.
    The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are--Joseph Campbell

vCash
    ^^^^I don't care for a lot of the yogurts that come with fruit or flavors. Chobanis are awful IMO - especially their vanilla. I always buy plain Greek Yogurt and add stuff. Better that way. You can control the amount you put in it FiveRinger.

vCash
    I am in the minority. I hate Greek yogurt. I always buy either plain or fruit flavored yogurt. I can't really make it at home because the temperature is never right, even if I put in in the oven (unheated, of course). I once ate Russian yogurt in California and loved it. I can't find it where I live.

vCash
    Yum a great topic. I eat yoghurt every day. I use it as a replacement for cream. Lucky here in Australia we have some really nice ones. I can't really eat the Greek style. My favourite is a raspberry with white chocolate. And I like to freeze it and eat it that way.

I also heard that is becoming more popular than ice cream. There are certainly lots yoghurt stores being set up here.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

Mad for mangelwurzels
    vCash
    I'll eat any kind of yogurt except for rhubarb and those peculiar ones like toffee apple or lemon meringue pie flavours. I adore Greek yogurt but the full fat ones are chock-a-block with calories. Mostly I eat fruit yogurts that are fat free and (added) sugar free. A few years ago yogurt used to be incredibly popular here, and there were hundreds of different kinds, plus fromage frais which was essentially the same but a bit thicker. But now most of them have disappeared. By the way, I don't recognise any of the brands that have thus far been mentioned except for Fage.
    Be with me always—take any form—drive me mad! only do not leave me in this abyss, where I cannot find you! Oh, God! it is unutterable! I cannot live without my life! I cannot live without my soul!"

vCash
    JUST started eating yogurt again...I hadn't in years because I developed a real resistance to the texture...could not really bring myself to eat it (and I used to love lemon yogurt). Now I find that Greek yogurt has the right consistancy, although I'm still picky about what kind. Fage and Chobani Flips (the ones that are loaded up with tons of stuff that is bad for you but tastes oh so good, lol) are my favorite.

Been sampling different kinds of yogurt at work (work in perishables so I'm around the stuff all day) and we recently got some newer stuff that I had mixed success with. We got a kind of Icelandic yogurt in; I'm blanking on the name but I thought it tasted awful, lol. We have Siggis but I haven't tried it yet. People RAVE about Noosa but I haven't been able to bring myself to try it; the consistency looks SO soupy but apparently it is da bomb! Can't stand any variety of Yoplait anymore. Regular Chobani is a hit or miss.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Is the calcium in yogurt in the whey? When the big tub of organic plain is on sale here, I line a sieve with linen dishtowels and that drains the liquid whey. This reduces in volume by about half but twice the thickness and removes the sour from the yogurt.

I don't like flavored sweetened yogurt except Siggi's, which isn't very sweet. I mix in cut-up apples or berries and add some nuts and hemp hearts, if I have them.
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

vCash
    I believe yogurts with kosher symbols do not use gelatin derived from animals

vCash
    Awesome topic! I've always thought of purchasing a yogurt maker but never purchased. I'm seriously considering it now.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast