Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Title-less
    vCash
    Missing 4CC is a bummer but the bigger bummer is missing out the chance to improve his season's best and ranking, and Adam may need USFS's help to get on the gp next year and he may have to do sectionals.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jlai View Post
    Missing 4CC is a bummer but the bigger bummer is missing out the chance to improve his season's best and ranking, and Adam may need USFS's help to get on the gp next year and he may have to do sectionals.
    Because Adam was 5th at Nationals this year, he has the automatic bye to Nationals next year. The top 5 get the bye.

Title-less
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by carriecmu0503 View Post
    Because Adam was 5th at Nationals this year, he has the automatic bye to Nationals next year. The top 5 get the bye.
    Oh, I kept thinking he's 6th. Oops

vCash
    Alissa, Jeremy and Adam....and all three friends....ouch...get well soon. ref: Tanith, I have read up on the spreading of flu and one gets lots of different versions of when one is contageous and for how long. All I can tell you is that no one in that arena or at the airports or on the planes every wore a surgical mask to protect others....its not the American way. I went to medical at the arena at Omaha to get a mask for a sick friend and they didnt have any! I am shocked the medical people didnt wear gloves when treating cuts...the arena air is very dry and my hands were splitting even before I was clapping very hard....I carry antibiotic vasoline to every event now. Chris who knows three folks who have had MRSA, and one is dead.

vCash
    It all goes to show, when you venture out into the world, s#$t happens.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jlai View Post
    Missing 4CC is a bummer but the bigger bummer is missing out the chance to improve his season's best and ranking, and Adam may need USFS's help to get on the gp next year
    It's looking that way, yes. Fortunately, his 5th place finish at Nationals will qualify him for Team B envelope funding next season.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    I've always felt a John Curry vibe from Adam. I'm hoping he can deliver on that when it counts.

Fetalized since 1998
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DarrellH View Post
    I've always felt a John Curry vibe from Adam. I'm hoping he can deliver on that when it counts.
    Me, too. It's his arms...

Shadow dancing
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smileyskate View Post
    Good point. I didn't notice the gloves thing. Is anyone not too happy about people (skaters and others) still going to this event knowing that they have the flu!? I wonder how many days after you start to feel a little better you could technically still spread it? Tanith reportedly caught it there.
    Back to Adam, I hope he and all others recovering from injuries take the needed time to recover properly and feel better soon.
    Unless they're missing a body part or have some other sort of serious injury, the skaters will be there. A cold/flu is nothing to them, considering the importance of this particular competition.

vCash
    I understand, but what I was meaning was the fact that they go knowing they could spread the flu.

Shadow dancing
    vCash
    I don't think they care. Neither do any of the other skaters - because they know they'd be doing the same!

(I do get your point - just being ornery. )

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sk8er1964 View Post
    I don't think they care. Neither do any of the other skaters - because they know they'd be doing the same!
    Well, what about wearing a surgical mask to protect others?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jjane45 View Post
    If they are at an athletic event, I don't think that wearing a surgical mask is going to help them when athletes need all the oxygen intake they can get!

Shadow dancing
    vCash
    Seriously? Now just how untiffed is that?

vCash
    LOL. I think Asian, esp. Japanese skaters often wear surgical masks at airports or while traveling, although I have no idea if it's meant to protect the wearer.

aka IceSkate98
    vCash
    I don't know whether a surgical mask would be practical or not. It just seems like to me they would possibly be choking and coughing in those masks because of exhaustion after skating their programs. They would then have to take the masks off to use Cleanex tissue.
    Angie
    “I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” ~ Thomas A. Edison

vCash
    I've heard of skaters using masks to train their programs to simulate the effect of high altitude

But yeah, at a competition, they'd have to take their masks off when they train, so the other skaters will be exposed anyway. Maybe wearing one around a concourse would put fewer people in danger of catching the flu, but I think most of the sick skaters just go back to the hotel to rest.

vCash
    Bummer not seeing Adam at 4CC but congrats to Ricky for making the most of his opportunity. With all of the injuries I am reading about it looks like who can be healthy at competition time takes the advantage. Injuries you think about sprains etc, but the flu, food poisoning they can be as debilitationg on the day. So wear those masks, wash your hands and stay out of crowds!

vCash
    They don't really work.

And yeah, the oxygen intake thing.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12