Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Adam Rippon Injury

vCash
    Maybe it's his hand? Such a shame, whatever it is. Hope he makes a quick recovery.
    Keeper of Nathalie Pechelat's bitchface.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    I posted USFS' press release in several different relevant threads earlier today:

Dornbush replaces Rippon at Four Continents - press release: http://www.usfsa.org/Story.asp?id=48962&type=media
    "Rippon, who placed fifth at the 2013 U.S. Championships, sustained an ankle injury on Saturday. He is expected to make a full recovery."

ETA these tweets by @Adaripp:
    I'm sad won't be able to compete in Japan this week. Thank you all for your well wishes. I really appreciate them.

Doing all I can to recover and I should be back on the ice very soon, healthy. Wishing those in Osaka a great Four Continents.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 02-04-2013 at 06:47 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coco View Post
    Maybe it's his hand? Such a shame, whatever it is. Hope he makes a quick recovery.
    The article says that he injured his ankle on Saturday. Get well soon Adam!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coco View Post
    Did he have a previous issue with his hand? Why would that be suspected (seems like an odd injury for a skater.)

vCash
    ^^ Perhaps Coco was referring to what looked like a scrape to Adam's hand when he unexpectedly fell on the second of the 3/3 combo jumps in his U.S. Nats sp. But I don't think a minor hand injury generally keeps skaters from skating. In any case, the press release clearly states the injury he sustained.

Sending well wishes to Adam. I hope he is better soon and that he has a great off-season. It would be nice if Adam gets the opportunity to skate his "Incredibles" fs again sometime soon. He had such fun with it in its new incarnation at Nationals.

vCash
    I thought he had to get stitches so maybe it had gotten more complicated. Sorry to hear it's his ankle
    Keeper of Nathalie Pechelat's bitchface.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aftershocks View Post
    ^^ Perhaps Coco was referring to what looked like a scrape to Adam's hand when he unexpectedly fell on the second of the 3/3 combo jumps in his U.S. Nats sp.
    Actually, NBC showed Rippon backstage after his hand was cut on the side of the boards during the 6-minute warm-up before his FS. It looked like 2 different medical people were trying to stop the bleeding and he skated with his hand bandaged up.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Thanks- I don't recall seeing that, my attention was a bit divided during the broadcast.

vCash
    Part of me is very happy Dornbush gets a chance to compete and maybe get himself on the SB list for next year's GP, but another part is worried that he might have been better off taking a few weeks off to fully heal his own injured ankle. Hopefully he skates well in both programs.

vCash
    I sort of got the impression from interviews that Dornbush's ankle injury was not that severe and more of a minor, nagging sort of thing. Still not any fun, but I think he mostly talked about having had the flu as the main reason for his fatigue at Nationals.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Actually, NBC showed Rippon backstage after his hand was cut on the side of the boards during the 6-minute warm-up before his FS. It looked like 2 different medical people were trying to stop the bleeding and he skated with his hand bandaged up.
    Ah yes, thanks Sylvia. I recall now that Adam hurt his hand during the FS warmup, but I didn't see him being treated backstage. I'd forgotten when Adam had the problem since in fact several skaters seemed to have sustained minor hand scrapes at this Nats, including Philip Warren during his free skate. Skating is indeed a dangerous enterprise.

vCash
    I wish quick recovery for Rippon.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    Did he have a previous issue with his hand? Why would that be suspected (seems like an odd injury for a skater.)
    The instinct is to protect yourself from a full impact of a fall so you will reach out with your hands. If it's a hard fall, it's easy to sprain or even break your hand.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    The instinct is to protect yourself from a full impact of a fall so you will reach out with your hands. If it's a hard fall, it's easy to sprain or even break your hand.
    I've never met a skater with a hand injury from this. Plenty of wrist injuries though. (I myself had a very severe wrist sprain that took months to gain back useage, and we have at least a sprained or broken wrist every year at the rink.) Perhaps at the higher levels the force of the fall is more likely to injure the hand than the wrist? I only have experience with one elite skater, who doesn't regularly train at our rink.

ETA: (I've seen many people get cut by catch blade spins, but I wouldn't really call that an injury, not one you'd withdraw from a competition for. That's why I was asking if Adam had previous hand injuries that that would be suspected.)
    Last edited by Skittl1321; 02-04-2013 at 09:33 PM.

vCash
    ^ During competitions when the ice is resurfaced fairly regularly this isn't an issue, but sometimes FS sessions don't have a zamboni come out after every hour and if you fall and skid on the ice it's pretty easy to hit bumps and scrape off skin. That's why most skaters wear gloves if they're working on a move where they expect to fall. If you happen to do pairs or dance, you might as well have boxes of band-aids on stand by since you'll always get some cut or another.

vCash
    Ah yeah you're right that a sprained wrist is more common and it would be quite rare for the hand itself to become injured. But maybe when the palm was open?

A common injury is cutting the hand with your blade I guess but that would only require a few days off ice in most cases probably.

Although I also know of cases where the cuts were so deep, skaters needed surgery and some important nerves or muscles or tendons were damaged and recovery time was really long.

Fetalized since 1998
    vCash
    Back to Adam's ankle. Wishing him a speedy recovery!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    2 medical people trying to stop the blood and not one of them had any gloves on... I was SCREAMING at the television!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by apatinar View Post
    2 medical people trying to stop the blood and not one of them had any gloves on... I was SCREAMING at the television!!
    Good point. I didn't notice the gloves thing. Is anyone not too happy about people (skaters and others) still going to this event knowing that they have the flu!? I wonder how many days after you start to feel a little better you could technically still spread it? Tanith reportedly caught it there.
    Back to Adam, I hope he and all others recovering from injuries take the needed time to recover properly and feel better soon.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast