Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
    Prick Admin
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Eislauffan View Post
    Sorry, I don't see a triple loop attempt there. And I don't think she planned a triple. Would she really put that combo with a new jump (she hasn't done triples in compeition) as her last element in the program anyway?
    It's the third element in the free as ioana mentioned, just about a minute in. It is very underrrotated, but it is clearly an attempt at a triple.

She also attempted a triple salchow (downgraded) in the US International Figure Skating Classic back in September.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

vCash
    It looked like a 3Lo attempt (without much spring hence the under-rotation I think) but definitely a triple attempt. Strange it wasn't listed then.
    Last edited by skatefan; 02-25-2013 at 05:52 PM.
    'The one. The only. Daisuke Takahashi ' Chris Howarth, EurosportUK

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Check out Kiri Baga's entertaining blog from The Hague: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/artic...&vkey=ice_news

Backstage photos (focus on Team USA, includes pairs podium): http://web.icenetwork.com/photos/gal...nt_id=41878720
    Last edited by Sylvia; 02-25-2013 at 11:20 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by allezfred View Post
    It's the third element in the free as ioana mentioned, just about a minute in. It is very underrrotated, but it is clearly an attempt at a triple.

She also attempted a triple salchow (downgraded) in the US International Figure Skating Classic back in September.
    Sorry, I had looked at the short program.

vCash
    Why was not credited Joubert"s last spin?
    Last edited by drfj; 02-26-2013 at 10:50 AM. Reason: delete post

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by drfj View Post
    Why was not credited Joubert"s last spin?
    It doesn't look as though he ever got into the "basic" sit position, so it was a flying combination spin with only one (upright) basic position.

If that is the case, then this provision from the technical panel handbook would apply:

Spin combination with less
    than 2 revolutions in basic
    positions...
    In Free Skating a clear visible attempt of a spin combination which results in
    a spin with only 1 basic position with not less than 2 revolutions will be called
    by the Technical Panel as a spin combination no value
    That's my guess anyway.

vCash
    I got the full gallery of Carolina Kostner on the site:
    Photos of Carolina

Some are a bit grainy, I apologize about the quality but with my old camera and that crappy light it was the best I could get...

vCash
    Thank you joeperryfan, lovely photos! I hope you had fun at the competition :-)

Here is a video-interview that they did with Carolina after Challenge Cup. It includes footage from the LP in high quality and from a different angle. Her lutz looks so big and her technique on it is textbook (notice how gentle her toepick is on this jump?): http://schaatsen.nl/videos/play/2123...et-in-den-haag

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jiggs View Post
    Thank you joeperryfan, lovely photos! I hope you had fun at the competition :-)
    You're welcome jiggs! And I certainly did have fun.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    Re: Peters 3loop

I am not surprised it was called a double. I don't know all the rules but in slo-mo it really looks like she only makes 2 rotations before her skate hits the ice. At best it was 2 1/4 rotation. Is there some kind of rule that says something that badly under-rotated should be just called the lesser jump? If a skater pops what is clearly going to be a quad we don't call it an UR anything, it is listed as a single...even if the single is over-rotated...right? I imagine the same thinking came into play here. The judges/callers aren't in the business of reading skaters minds, they saw 2 rotations so it is a double. It really wasn't even close enough to be called an UR triple, even though that probably does work in her favor.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    The "rule" as far as I know is the intention of the skater, but that does get a little more complicated to define when, as you say, a skater pops what was obviously an intended triple or quad. Obviously the actual number of rotations completed is relevant also. I do recall one other case (at a non-qualifying competition several years ago) where a skater did what looked like it was probably *supposed* to be a 3S (in combination I think), but it ended up essentially being double that was a little bit overrotated and then had a full rotation on the ice. The technical panel called it a double and said that yeah, maybe she "intended" and thought she was doing a triple but that they felt they just couldn't call it that because it didn't even have 2 1/4 revolutions.

I also recall seeing slow-motion of a "triple-triple" combination (I think it was Shizuka Arakawa in one of those "triple-triples" compilation videos) where there was a clear half turn on the toe before the takeoff and more than half a turn cheat on the landing, so the 2nd jump actually had not even 2 full rotations in the air, and I remember asking myself whether and how that could really be considered a triple-triple, even though that was what was "attempted." It may have been a practice or pre-IJS attempt, I don't remember.

vCash
    I'm uploading more photos of the event daily, if anyone has any requests let me know so I'll take care of those photos first.

This link let's you see the photos filtered by skater

vCash
    Your pictures of Alex Johnson

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessLeppard View Post
    Your pictures of Alex Johnson
    Yeah, I'm sure you're referring to his edges

vCash
    Oh, uh, those, too.

vCash
    don't feel bad about yourself, a little bird has told me that my mother has gone there twice to check the pictures, you know, for my technical prowess.

vCash
    I've just uploaded some of my pictures from Challenge Cup of Brian Joubert, Alexander Johnson and Carolina Kostner on tumblr, for those who might be interested

I apologize in advance for the quality - especially compared to joeperryfan's - but I only have a small reflex and it was my first time shooting figure skating. AND I forgot I could actually do long continuous shooting with that camera.....

Anyhoo, here they are

Brian Joubert SP, Brian Joubert FS
    Alexander Johnson
    Carolina Kostner

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rayhaneh View Post
    I apologize in advance for the quality - especially compared to joeperryfan's - but I only have a small reflex and it was my first time shooting figure skating. AND I forgot I could actually do long continuous shooting with that camera.....
    You don't have to apologize at all, they look quite nice for a first time, and there's a good shot that your camera is better than mine, mine is so old... A little advice: try to shoot in portrait(vertical orientation) sometimes so you don't clip their feet all the time.

And thank you for posting!

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678