Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DVR question

vCash
    Vash... I work for a prominent cable company, the 2nd largest in the country. You need a converter/box if you want to view cable networks and be able to record them. Basic cable(locals) sucks. Also, eventually basic and extended basic( channels 1-80) are no longer going to be available without eq. Remember that digital upgrade a few year ago; The Gov will be using the analog frequencies soon. Analog cable is channels 2 to 99. Digital and HD start at 100 and above with cable companies.

Now I'm a TV snob, I watch very little network TV. Most of my programming/shows are cable networks. I would just rent the eq from Cox Cable, call their retention dept and ask for a promo including DVR. They have deals; good ones especially if you have Internet with them.
    "“My bronze feels like gold,” said the bronze medalist Carolina Kostner

vCash
    Topaz, I get the networks, so I am not sure what you are referring to. I have never had 'local only' type cable. My HD channels start at 1000. My brother who lives in CA, has HD channels from 7000. It must be different at different places. The cable company's rates for DVR sound similar to what they are elsewhere. It's just that I have both the box and the DVR - thanks to their sales person who did not bother to explain to me that I don't need both- so I am being charged twice. When I called them, they agreed to take off one charge, but that resulted in my digital cable getting disconnected. When I got home, I almost threw a fit when I discovered that. I called them and after an extremely long wait someone answered the phone (at least 15-20 min wait). I was fit to be tied at that point. She did reactivate my cable though, so I got it back the same evening. In any case this has been a mess. Today a friend offered to help me connect the DVR and I plan to ask him to come to my home on Sunday.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    Topaz, I get the networks, so I am not sure what you are referring to. I have never had 'local only' type cable. My HD channels start at 1000. My brother who lives in CA, has HD channels from 7000. It must be different at different places. The cable company's rates for DVR sound similar to what they are elsewhere. It's just that I have both the box and the DVR - thanks to their sales person who did not bother to explain to me that I don't need both- so I am being charged twice. When I called them, they agreed to take off one charge, but that resulted in my digital cable getting disconnected. When I got home, I almost threw a fit when I discovered that. I called them and after an extremely long wait someone answered the phone (at least 15-20 min wait). I was fit to be tied at that point. She did reactivate my cable though, so I got it back the same evening. In any case this has been a mess. Today a friend offered to help me connect the DVR and I plan to ask him to come to my home on Sunday.
    I have a question were you offered a HD/DVR from the cable company? Do you have two separate pieces for eq? If so, did the cable company mailout a second piece of equipment?

This is usually the scenario if a customer requests additional or different equipment. Customer A wants a DVR. Represenative B mails out a dvr, the customer does a self install. Usually instructions come with the mailed equipment.
    Scenario 2 is Customer A wants a DVR; Represenative B schedules an appointment to have a technician come to the home and install the equipment. There is usually a charge for this.
    Last edited by topaz; 02-08-2013 at 04:17 AM.
    "“My bronze feels like gold,” said the bronze medalist Carolina Kostner

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by topaz View Post
    I have a question were you offered a HD/DVR from the cable company? Do you have two separate pieces for eq? If so, did the cable company mailout a second piece of equipment?

This is usually the scenario if a customer requests additional or different equipment. Customer A wants a DVR. Represenative B mails out a dvr, the customer does a self install. Usually instructions come with the mailed equipment.
    Scenario 2 is Customer A wants a DVR; Represenative B schedules an appointment to have a technician come to the home and install the equipment. There is usually a charge for this.
    I picked them up in person at their store, and I told the sales person that I had picked up the HD box the previous day, so the confusion should not have occurred. The DVR has a built in HD box; they are not separate, and the sales person did not tell me that. I will not ask them to install it because they charge $49.9 + tax. A friend has agreed to help me install the DVR, which is already in my possession. Once that is done, I will return the HD and ask them for a full refund on that.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12