vCash

EU set to ban ALL Import and sale of animal tested products on March 11, 2013

Cruelty Free International announced on Jan. 30, that after campaigning against animal testing within the cosmetic industry since 1983, the import and sale of animal tested cosmetic products and ingredients is to be banned in the European Union (EU) beginning on March 11, 2013.
    http://www.examiner.com/article/euro...-for-cosmetics

http://www.crueltyfreeinternational....s-forever-news

The ban would affect all cosmetics, including toiletries, makeup, soaps and even toothpaste. The EU is following Israel who already has this in place.

This is BIG & Great news!
    "“My bronze feels like gold,” said the bronze medalist Carolina Kostner

vCash

vCash

Quadless
    vCash
    This is indeed huge, especially considering that so many global cosmetic brands are made in Europe. Thank you, EU.
    "I miss footwork that has any kind of a discernible pattern. The goal of a step sequence should not be for a skater to show the same ice coverage as a Zamboni and take about as much time as an ice resurface. " ~ Zemgirl, reflecting on a pre-IJS straight line sequence

vCash
    interesting, considering how many brands have their products tested in order to sell in China... oh, I forgot! That is something chinese government does!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kosjenka View Post
    interesting, considering how many brands have their products tested in order to sell in China... oh, I forgot! That is something chinese government does!
    China is big on consumer safety? I thought that's USA and Japan...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DAngel View Post
    China is big on consumer safety? I thought that's USA and Japan...
    There is NO consumer safety in the US, IMHO - having lived in the US and Denmark. Most EU countries has way higher standards (US relies on post-problems lawsuits to keep companies in line).

The EU is much better at protecting the consumer and demanding labeling, for instance (such as GMO labeling etc). I see this as another step, and a great one.

There should be no need to test cosmetics on animals, as far as I know you can use synthetic materials to see if eye make up will bother the eye, for instance.

vCash
    I am against animal testing from cosmetics simply because there has not been any new ingredients in makeup in years. What's the point of testing on animals?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by maatTheViking View Post
    There is NO consumer safety in the US, IMHO - having lived in the US and Denmark. Most EU countries has way higher standards (US relies on post-problems lawsuits to keep companies in line).
    What about the CPSC?

Not that I'm for animal testing.... I just thought it's weird that China cares that much about consumer safety when their products are known to be... somewhat unreliable...

((Swedish skating dudes))
    vCash
    Wow, I'm shocked (in a good way!). I thought they'd just postpone it again as they have the past 10 years. Not sure what all the brands who started selling in China will do (I'm still about MAC). Perhaps the products that aren't tested at all will be sold in the EU and the ones that are (mascara, mostly, IIRC?) will stay banned. There goes huge chunks of the perfume market and a lot of make up brands as well and L'Oréal must be fuming!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by topaz View Post
    The ban would affect all cosmetics, including toiletries, makeup, soaps and even toothpaste. The EU is following Israel who already has this in place.

This is BIG & Great news!
    I believe Israel has passed this law but it will not go into effect for another year or two.

It's still great news, though!

vCash
    Excellent news, indeed!

Lola, my cat, is happy about it, too.
    Last edited by Peaches LaTour; 02-04-2013 at 07:46 PM. Reason: Lola made me do it

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kosjenka View Post
    I am against animal testing from cosmetics simply because there has not been any new ingredients in makeup in years. What's the point of testing on animals?
    Exactly! Wish the US would follow suit.