Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

vCash
    Well, personally, I feel rich on my stipend.

IMO, don't go into academia/science if money is a major motivator for you. Or else you'll spend your grad school/post-doc (*ahem* postdoc in my lab, I'm looking at you)/junior faculty years constantly complaining about how much money your friends make, how little they work, what cars they all drive, blah blah blah...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by altai_rose View Post
    Nope, there's also my program (Medical scientist training program) for combined MD/PhD. Fully funded tuition + stipend for living expenses. Well, in the US, most (all?) PhD programs in biological sciences are completely funded with stipends.
    Right, I was referring to professional schools like vet school, medical school, and law school. Students in PhD science programs have access to many funding options, but professional school students do not.

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by altai_rose View Post
    Well, personally, I feel rich on my stipend.

IMO, don't go into academia/science if money is a major motivator for you. Or else you'll spend your grad school/post-doc (*ahem* postdoc in my lab, I'm looking at you)/junior faculty years constantly complaining about how much money your friends make, how little they work, what cars they all drive, blah blah blah...
    Well, most can survive on it. My retirement fund is looking better than theirs though. And it depends on your needs. One of the grads here has extensive medical issues and is "accident prone" and we saved cans and bottles for her to recycle. It would be her grocery money. And she still lives almost paycheck to paycheck. Another grad student is basically a single mom with two kids, so the stipend doesn't go as far for her as it does most other students. She tried cleaning houses part time for more money, but doing anything on the side is disallowed by the school.

But yes, academia and science are extremely poor fields to go into if you value your financial status. Definitely go to medical school instead. The upfront cost is high, but at least your salary potential is a lot higher!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345