Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jiggs View Post
    Now I don't know about you guys but I am really looking forward to seeing those three compete against each other at Worlds!
    As do I .

Blergh
    vCash
    I enjoyed Carolina's 2012 Worlds LP more than anything Mao or Yuna has ever done.

That's subjective, but I stick by it. One thing I will say is that it gets tiring when people act as if their own opinions and analysis aren't tainted by their own bias, subjective preferences, and skater loyalty. It's not the debate, but it's the lack of self-awareness people have of their own prejudices when making so-called "objective" claims-of-fact that's irksome.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post
    That's subjective, but I stick by it. One thing I will say is that it gets tiring when people act as if their own opinions and analysis aren't tainted by their own bias, subjective preferences, and skater loyalty. It's not the debate, but it's the lack of self-awareness people have of their own prejudices when making so-called "objective" claims-of-fact that's irksome.
    ^This.

I think the World Championships this year will prove very interesting. Mao, Yu-Na and Carolina all have different qualities and weaknesses. Carolina and Yu-Na are the only two that can compete in terms of speed (Mao has always been slower in comparison), while Yu-Na has the most technically-weighty program of the 3 in terms of jumps. Mao's strategy is similar to Carolina's, in that she's banking on positive GOE on all her elements, even though the jump content is easier that what both are capable of at maximum. I think Carolina has the best FP choreographically speaking (and she has the highest PCS for her FP of the three-70), followed by Mao (beautiful program, suits her perfectly) then by Yu-Na. Yu-Na is a beautiful performer, and her FP is very nice, but personally I find the music a little cheesy (not to mention the strange music cut into the ChSq) and not as polished and sophisticated as Mao or Carolina. I think the greatest hurdles each skater will have to face respectively will be: Yu-Na-not competing enough this season; Mao-keeping her head together, her knees fast and bendy, and getting a perfect, all GOE+ FP out, and Carolina keeping her head together under the pressure.

vCash
    This thread reminds me why I think making transitions a components category is horrible!

vCash
    Mao > everyone

vCash
    Ooh great topic.

To be fair though I'm going to need to watch their recent performances and review carefully before I post.

Already though I'm pretty sure Mao's spirals, spins and footwork >>>

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyWarhol View Post
    Mao > everyone
    That formula should be put into the ISU technical code.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by iarispiralllyof View Post
    Already though I'm pretty sure Mao's spirals, spins and footwork >>>
    I'd put Kostner ahead of Asada on footwork.

vCash
    i think yuna>caro>mao
    but, yuna have not a lot of experience this season, I'm not sure..

yuna kim's 3loop..

In practice she can
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aM62CMStq1A
    but, She has trauma in loop, injured in 06-08 Seasons.
    loop is well known as the weaknesses jump to her
    the lowest success rate in her jumps

until, 08-09 season
    she have landed 3loop in program
    Last edited by karlon; 02-03-2013 at 08:50 AM.

vCash
    Performing some thread necromancy here; in light of the the conclusion of 4CCs, and re-watching Mao, Yu-Na, and Carolina.

I think that Mao and Carolina (and Akiko, but she is not being discussed in this thread) have both shown tremendous artistic growth that Yu-Na has not. Whether that's because of Yu-Na's layoff or natural ability/desire, I don't know. But for me, Carolina & Mao are very purposeful in their movements; they use the accents and change their movements according to what they're skating to. It's like the music is coming out of their fingertips. Yu-Na, in my opinion, does not. She's a good performer - better than most - but she's not the artist that Mao and Carolina have become. Her movements seem...generic? put on? shallow? Technically, she's amazing, but I think that this lack of genuine artistry keeps me from really enjoying her skating.

(On another note, Yu-Na's spiral is really quite ugly - and I'm so sick of the David Wilson facestroking choreography).

Blergh
    vCash
    I agree with you. Yu Na is just too reserved. At least Shizuka, another reserved skater, had skating skills like butter and good to great line to mask that (plus Turandot). Yu Na needs to let loose and show more freedom-of-movement and abandon. Right now, she seems too choreographed. It's like an actress with excellent skills, but is too heavily-directed to the point where it shows.

I know her fans underplay this, but Yu Na's line really does need work. At first many let it slide because she was so much better in her jumps and speed for others to follow. However, now that the other skaters are catching up somewhat, her lack of attention or care to her bodyline is very noticeable.

vCash
    I hope they all deliver and may the best win!
    I like them all for so many different reasons, and they have contributed for great skating since 2007. Wonder what will happen after Sochi, so just enjoy them now.

vCash
    In fairness to Yu-Na Kim unlike Kostner and Asada she hasn't had to change. Her jumps are at the level of 2010 (though I guess World Champs will fully show that) and her elements score well and she scores well with her PCs. Kostner and Asada both saw their jumps deteriorate and so much more focus was put on their other elements and both have focused much more on their artistry. Asada now seems to be bringing some of her old difficulty back though she still has underrotation problems and it'll be interesting to see what Kostner shows up with at worlds. I just hope she keeps the momentum she's had the last two years. But she can be very erratic as Asada can too.

vCash
    I can see your point, but as she does not have to work on the technical side as much (because she's already so good) mean that Yu-Na has more time to develop her artistic side? That's just my thought.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gingercrush View Post
    In fairness to Yu-Na Kim unlike Kostner and Asada she hasn't had to change. Her jumps are at the level of 2010 (though I guess World Champs will fully show that) and her elements score well and she scores well with her PCs. Kostner and Asada both saw their jumps deteriorate and so much more focus was put on their other elements and both have focused much more on their artistry. Asada now seems to be bringing some of her old difficulty back though she still has underrotation problems and it'll be interesting to see what Kostner shows up with at worlds. I just hope she keeps the momentum she's had the last two years. But she can be very erratic as Asada can too.
    Yuna could have worked on pointing her toe, her wonky spiral and correcting the free leg in her lay back, but she didn't.

Team Voronov, party of 1
    vCash
    Great first post analysis, and some good insights after, but this thread is a Petri dish of uberism.

All I have to add is that I can't wait for Worlds. It is the first time any of these 3 ladies meet each other all year + the Americans and Russians...it should be an epic competition!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyWarhol View Post
    Yuna could have worked on pointing her toe, her wonky spiral and correcting the free leg in her lay back, but she didn't.
    Just because you think so doesn't mean that she worked on nothing.

vCash
    oleada, just because a skater "doesn't move you" does not mean she is not artistic.....

Yuna >>> Mao >>>>>>>>>> Carolina, and the podium will be in that order, unless someone collapses and one of the next tier skaters move up.

vCash
    I don't really have a favorite anymore. I am happy with whoever skated best wins at the end. But I think it's going to be between Yuna and Mao. Carolina doesn't seem to handle the pressure as well as these two.

vCash
    And because she does you, doesn't mean she is, either. I stated my reasons why I find that Yu-Na is not as artistic as Carolina and Mao, and I did say that it was all my opinion; though others clearly agree. Yu-Na, Mao & Carolina are all great; and they have their own strengths, and yes, it might come as a shock to you, but there are things that Mao & Carolina do better than Yu-Na (and vice versa) and not everyone prefers Yu-Na at all.

But I should know better than to argue with an uber

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast