Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    vCash
    I hate it when Akiko Suzuki does camel spins. I don't like the way Mirai Nagasu moves her feet during step sequence. Caroline's 2axel.

vCash
    OTB tights pulled halfway down the skate or bunched up at the ankle. UGH.

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Over-the-ankle tights. Either all the way over the boot, or IN the boot. Pick one.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by euterpe View Post
    One of my pet peeves is a skater giving up the performance the minute the music stops. Most top skaters don't do that, they maintain the mood or character of the music through the bows. It's especially jarring when the performance hasn't been too good and the skater goes from the last pose to visually beating him/herself up. I even recall one ice dancer who fell in the middle of the program and cried and pouted all the way to the end. Skaters have to realize they are performing, much like actors, and you don't slip out of character until you go offstage.
    While many do, some skaters never get in character to begin with...
    Nubka - Unpaid Slave Laborer...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by stevlin View Post
    I hate when a girl/lady does a layback spin with the leg that's off the ice is super bent like the capital letter L..... It's more graceful when the leg off the ice is up higher and slightly bent. Just hate it when it droops like an "L". Also I hate in ice dancing when the guy holds the woman in front of him and she looks like she is walking or running in air. He is holding her up and she is walking but not touching the ice. It looks stupid to me.
    I like that move! It looks soft and kind of magical.
    Nubka - Unpaid Slave Laborer...

vCash
    Not hate, but I don't see any artistry in men's Biellmann spins. Most of them look so forced. I probably wouldn't mind if they actually have the correct amount of flexibility, but that's so rare. Even Yuzuru's, or Plushenko's, I don't know, I'd rather they just leave it out.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nubka View Post
    While many do, some skaters never get in character to begin with...
    Too true!
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    I hate big, grandiose entrances. K/G-S are the worst offenders when it comes to this. I adore them but I swear it seems like it takes them 10 minutes to get into their starting pose.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aims View Post
    Not hate, but I don't see any artistry in men's Biellmann spins. Most of them look so forced. I probably wouldn't mind if they actually have the correct amount of flexibility, but that's so rare. Even Yuzuru's, or Plushenko's, I don't know, I'd rather they just leave it out.
    I kind of wish they would ban Biellmann spins for one year and catch foot spirals (is that the right term?) also. I don't hate them but I would love some variety for a change.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by euterpe View Post
    One of my pet peeves is a skater giving up the performance the minute the music stops. Most top skaters don't do that, they maintain the mood or character of the music through the bows. It's especially jarring when the performance hasn't been too good and the skater goes from the last pose to visually beating him/herself up. I even recall one ice dancer who fell in the middle of the program and cried and pouted all the way to the end. Skaters have to realize they are performing, much like actors, and you don't slip out of character until you go offstage.
    Yes, yes, YES, mine too! And the same at the beginning of programs. Ice dancers and pairs seem to be better at this. IMO, way too many singles skaters take forever to get into position, some even doing a double salchow or something beforehand. I've always felt the performance starts the minute the skater takes the ice (and was certainly coached that way). Can you imagine Yo-Yo Ma getting on stage and playing a scale in front of the audience before his performance?
    "I hit him with my shoes... if he had given me the medal like I told him to, I wouldn't have had to hit him!" -- 8-year-old Rhoda Penmark in "The Bad Seed"

vCash
    Mine is dirty boots and/or laces. I do understand that they get scuffed and they have to be worn in but some just look dreadful, I don't think HD tv helps in this regard though, as I only used to really notice it at live events and now it bugs me at home too!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cachoo View Post
    I have no idea why I feel this way but I don't like costumes that include gloves. And while I thought the world of Sandhu that butt spin has never been one of my favorites.
    You will enjoy the butt spin much more if you call it the kittycat spin and think of this cat:http://mfrost.typepad.com/.shared/im...09/04/att4.jpg
    I completely admit to being a crazy cat lady. Sometimes if a skater is doing this spin, I say "meow" as each rotation is completed. Helps keep my attention off the unflattering position of the skater's posterior.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by snoopysnake View Post
    You will enjoy the butt spin much more if you call it the kittycat spin and think of this cat:http://mfrost.typepad.com/.shared/im...09/04/att4.jpg
    I completely admit to being a crazy cat lady. Sometimes if a skater is doing this spin, I say "meow" as each rotation is completed. Helps keep my attention off the unflattering position of the skater's posterior.
    Love the photo!
    from a person who regularly reprimands her Coon cat for underrotating his jumps.

vCash
    The current crop of Russian male wannabee Plushenko skaters who look absolutely Miserable on the ice! And I'm not talking about their abilities. They look like they would rather be anywhere else in the world. I'm not wanting the opposite - maniacal grinning to whatever you're skating to, but please, something a little more balanced?

vCash
    OTB tights
    L-position layback spins where the leg line is compromised to get the back way bent, even if the flexibility is outstanding and there's a great biellman to end the spin, that ugly position gets to me
    Haircutter positions where the knee of the leg being lifted is far from the knee of the leg one is spinning on
    A-frame spins
    catchfoot camel spins that never achieve the donut position
    biellmans done with one hand gripping the wrist of the other arm, instead of having both hands on the skate
    ina bauers with no back bend (like the one Gracie does as a transition into her lutz, i give her credit for doing such a tough transition move into the jump, but please, if you do an ina bauer, bend your back, you can tell she is capable considering her layback spin)
    leg wraps
    non-matching illusion fabric
    faux strapless dresses where there's no effort made to make the illusion hard to see, so the dress has thick tank top straps that are clearly visible, yet the rest of it is designed as if the costume was truly strapless (a lot of Caroline Zhang dresses have been of this type)

in my underground bunker plotting your downfall
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ehdtkqorl123 View Post
    Just curious, is there an official name for that spin? Korean fans call it mushroom spin
    I first saw it when some skater (I don't remember which one) was skating to music from the Nutcracker. I've called it the Buttcracker spin ever since.
    When I'm old, I don't want them to say of me, "She's so charming." I want them to say, "Be careful, I think she's armed."
    Fact of Life: After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says W T F

vCash
    Is that what you call it? A butt spin? The one where the skater is bent down and spins on one straight leg? Hate it. No artistry. Kinda obscene.

That slight moment when the hip jots into the air before the donut position on spins. (I like Shizuka, but hers are too prominent. Puts me off each time)

vCash
    butt spins, "shredded" costumes ...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Willy View Post
    I think you are talking about leg wrap which is a technical issue with jumps. It is not a choice a skater makes and certainly does not benefit the jump. However for a skater like Ito she did do it but had an open position in the hips so it never affected her ability to jump. However it can affect the jumps of many skaters and is a reason why many skaters have trouble with triples or even doubles.

OTB tights are a pet hate of mine.
    I thought it was quite interesting that for her 3T-3T combo, Midori would have the leg wrap on the first triple, but not on the second. Was wondering at that time how many rotation she could do without the leg wrap on the first jump, gaining extra rotation speed...

Fetalized since 1998
    vCash
    Spread eagles with butts sticking out.

Love a beautiful Russian split, ala Sasha, love a beautiful split falling leaf ,ala Michelle,..hate those whatever they are called leaps that look as if they are from a National Geographic special.

Choreographic moves that add nothing to the program..or what my friend Cindy and I would call.."What was that?"

Flapping and flailing arm movements.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast