Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Let's nitpick from figure skaters

Is there something you particularly don't like when figure skaters do something during their performances?
    Costume, gestures, habits, whatever...
    Let's talk about what you don't like or something that bothers you.

Personally I don't like the habit of making a 4-shaped leg when skaters jump. 4-shaped leg meaning when they jump, they bend one leg so that it literally looks like "4". (See Ito Midori or Yukari Nagano's jumps) Looks like they are trying to get a lift force to stay in air longer... like helicopters LOL

Some people don't like it when skaters cover their boots but I don't mind that

I will add more if something comes up to mind..
    Last edited by ehdtkqorl123; 02-02-2013 at 01:05 AM.

vCash
    I don't like slow, draggy spins/sit spins at the very end of a program.
    Nubka - Unpaid Slave Laborer...

vCash
    I don't like it when a skater is super slow, or does a ugly biellman. I mean if you're going to attempt a certain spin, at least do it right.

As far as costumes go, I think you're costume should go with the theme/story of your program. That means if I'm skating to POTO, I wouldn't wear light sparkly colors.

vCash
    I hate it when ladies wear OTB tights. (someone had to say it!)

Hmm...oh yeah, I also don't like it when guys wear super-blousy shirts that they kind of go swimming in. Nothing wrong with skintight, or even, you know, just regular tight, guys.

vCash
    Hate it when skaters have a very sad music, but yet have the toothpaste smile ON. aka Tanith on ther Chopin free dance. And another dancer skating on Piaf (can't remember right now).
    doesn't make sense at all, just show the skater does not know what he/she is skating on.

and could very well live without the 'I'm scratchin my head with my skate, just because it's worth more points' attitudes...

vCash
    I hate when skaters reach their hand out and grab the air, and then pull their hand in. I know this move usually goes with the "story" of the music somehow, but I and most people watching probably don't fully understand why. It's just an overused thing that often allows the skater to rest for a few seconds.

vCash
    No over-the-skate tights, illusion spins, or swordfighting allowed!

vCash
    When a skater looks awkward with something in their programs - I flinch when Gracie does her shimmy and march. Love her, everything else, but I find I hold my breath and want to look away for those parts.

The lace leos over flesh leos - I am very distracted that a nipple might appear. It's not possible (it's a solid flesh leo) and then I feel pervy for even considering a costume mishap. It would not be so off-putting if the girls were adults.

I guess the summation is when I feel awkward that it deters my enjoyment of the program and I miss losing myself in the skate.

vCash
    I don't like chicken-flaps during spirals, marching or skaters who seem to stand still during their programs.

vCash
    Personal hate most: Dropped knee going into a doughnut spin. HATE it.

One up from that.............spread eagle with butt sticking out. Really, if you can't assume the position.......don't do it.
    DH - and that's just my opinion

vCash
    My biggest hate: skating dresses that have panties in a much lighter color (especially white or a beige that matches the tights) versus the dress itself.

I hate skating dresses with one sleeve, GFB exhibition music, hair that is blond in front or on top but black underneath, and skaters who use fast music (like the really fast section of Spartacus) but don't skate fast enough with it.

vCash
    I have no idea why I feel this way but I don't like costumes that include gloves. And while I thought the world of Sandhu that butt spin has never been one of my favorites.

vCash
    crystals on illusion fabric. I get you don't want risk having bare skin, so you use illusion fabric - but why stick gems on it? If you want to accent that area on your body, lets use real fabric under the gems.

almost any midriff bared ladies costume

butt sticking up when skaters come into a doughnut spin

when doing an inside death spiral, the way most skaters end up very high over the ice, with the legs apart. I think the only nice back inside one I have seen was someone posting an old Propotov video...

over the heel tights (if nude - I have seen black ones in shows that make it look like it is 'fashionable')

On a time traveling circus... with ice dancing?
    vCash
    I hate the butt spin. Actually, hate is a strong word. I just feel an intense amount of aesthetic displeasure when I see the butt spin. It makes me laugh, at least.

I, too, hate it when costumes don't pull a little bit of influence from the music/program. I want to see a connection there.

But the one that gets me the hardest is when people have spins during musical highlights and the spins slooooooooooow doooooooooown. Or when someone does a step sequence (in dance, mostly) to a really intense part of the music and the steps can't keep up with it.

And poorly matched illusion fabric. Especially when it veers into orange.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cachoo View Post
    And while I thought the world of Sandhu that butt spin has never been one of my favorites.
    Just curious, is there an official name for that spin? Korean fans call it mushroom spin

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ehdtkqorl123 View Post
    Just curious, is there an official name for that spin? Korean fans call it mushroom spin
    You know I don't have any idea: If Sandhu invented it wouldn't it be the "Sandhu?" Mushroom works for me though.

vCash
    One of my pet peeves is a skater giving up the performance the minute the music stops. Most top skaters don't do that, they maintain the mood or character of the music through the bows. It's especially jarring when the performance hasn't been too good and the skater goes from the last pose to visually beating him/herself up. I even recall one ice dancer who fell in the middle of the program and cried and pouted all the way to the end. Skaters have to realize they are performing, much like actors, and you don't slip out of character until you go offstage.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ehdtkqorl123 View Post
    Personally I don't like the habit of making a 4-shaped leg when skaters jump. 4-shaped leg meaning when they jump, they bend one leg so that it literally looks like "4". (See Ito Midori or Yukari Nagano's jumps) Looks like they are trying to get a lift force to stay in air longer... like helicopters LOL
    I think you are talking about leg wrap which is a technical issue with jumps. It is not a choice a skater makes and certainly does not benefit the jump. However for a skater like Ito she did do it but had an open position in the hips so it never affected her ability to jump. However it can affect the jumps of many skaters and is a reason why many skaters have trouble with triples or even doubles.

OTB tights are a pet hate of mine.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    I hate when a girl/lady does a layback spin with the leg that's off the ice is super bent like the capital letter L..... It's more graceful when the leg off the ice is up higher and slightly bent. Just hate it when it droops like an "L". Also I hate in ice dancing when the guy holds the woman in front of him and she looks like she is walking or running in air. He is holding her up and she is walking but not touching the ice. It looks stupid to me.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cachoo View Post
    You know I don't have any idea: If Sandhu invented it wouldn't it be the "Sandhu?" Mushroom works for me though.
    Kids around here call it an "A" spin. (And we live in Sandhu land)
    A good rant is cathartic. Ranting is what keeps me sane. They always come from a different place. Take the prime minister, for example. Sometimes when I rant about him, I am angry; other times, I am just severely annoyed - it's an important distinction. - Rick Mercer

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast