Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

vCash
    Happy to oblige.

vCash
    I totally agree with the previous comments. But that was the aim of this episode. That's why Richard - who has shockingly bad taste - was saved instead of Tu. Because they were setting up for drama and they got exactly what they wanted.

This challenge was extremely difficult because:
    - most of those designers didn't do menswear
    - most of those designers never designed tearaway clothes
    - none of those designers ever designed for bodies this unusual

So in giving them just one day, it was bloody obvious that they would fail. There's just no way it could have worked. But that was the aim. Create drama. I feel sorry for the designers.

On the other hand, I feel a little horrified that they don't know anything about menswear.

At least they have made the right decision in sending Amanda home. Her pants were clearly the worst of what was shown and she's been turning out poor quality work throughout the series.

Fortunately next week there's going to be a proper challenge (although who knows maybe they will get one day for that as well ).
    Last edited by Ziggy; 03-20-2013 at 04:37 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by emason View Post
    Happy to oblige.
    I "repped", too; and ITA!

vCash
    I just don't get these decisions.

vCash
    After last week, I gave up on this season. If the judges can't even pick a clear winner in the final 7 for a challenge, then it's done. This team concept killed the show for me. I will miss the divine Tim Gunn. That's about it though.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dbell1 View Post
    If the judges can't even pick a clear winner in the final 7 for a challenge, then it's done.
    You think somebody actually deserved to win that challenge? Michelle for making the only interesting piece of clothing that wasn't a total mess I guess?

What should have happened is Mel B suddenly walking out on the runway and saying: 'YOU ARE ALL SHIT!'

Beach Bum
    vCash
    So who was aufed?
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

vCash
    Tonight's episode was OK, but I don't understand why Richard is still there. There are some things I like about the team challenge--when they listen, having other designers critique your work because they're invested has been a good thing. I like seeing the designers interact with each other. Patricia's outfit with Stanley was a TOTAL win. Had Stanley's dress not been so boring, I think she would have been up there with Michelle. It looks like the concept was done on the fly and they didn't have a plan in place; it looks like they're reacting episode to episode and just pulling stuff out of the air.

I will say though in defense of PR, I've been watching Fashion Star on demand. It's everything you think you want. The designers just design (seamstresses and fabrics are provided), the emphasis is definitely on the runway and not the personalities, and the mentors and buyers are professional--critical without being mean; complimentary without being over the top. And btw, when it comes to fashion, Jessica Simpson knows her stuff. She might be dumb in other aspects--or it's an act--and her speaking voice is awful, but her advice to her designers is bang-on. The fasnion is current, and you can buy the looks instantly. The designers are not really judged against each other, so beyond a broad concept (this week was "sexy") designers can do young, older, professional, men, sporty, whatever. If the buyers think it will sell, they buy it. For the most part, I agree with their decisions or I at least see their points when I do disagree.

And yet, for all that, I could freaking care less. I can't keep the designers apart, I'm not invested in any of them. I don't know their personalities, their points of view, if the clothes came out bad because they had issues or because they're bad designers. I only vaguely care about Jessica Simpson because she's been pregnant for five years and it's a modern-day miracle.

I watched them back-to-back tonight and the difference was eye-opening. It's sort of like 6.0 v. COP. Fashion Star is definitely COP friendly, but it doesn't have the emotional impact of an even not-so-good 6.0 PR.
    "The practice of sport is a human right. Every individual must have the possibility of practicing sport, without discrimination of any kind and in the Olympic spirit, which requires mutual understanding with a spirit of friendship, solidarity and fair play." –Olympic Charter

vCash
    Richard, as Michelle said, keeps doing the same thing over and over.
    I'm long "over" him.

I wonder what format they will use for the next series.
    "Teams" has not worked, IMO.

vCash
    Richard should have been aufed. But I guess the show wants to keep the drama he brings. Daniel's outfit was SO bad, as was the way he styled the model.

I was shocked when Patricia and Stanley weren't the team winners.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    You think somebody actually deserved to win that challenge? Michelle for making the only interesting piece of clothing that wasn't a total mess I guess?

What should have happened is Mel B suddenly walking out on the runway and saying: 'YOU ARE ALL SHIT!'
    Nope, the judges just confirmed what I'd thought all season long - the team concept sucks. But I would appreciate it if they aufed everyone.

vCash
    I now like Patricia. I think her outfits and creativity are interesting. I only see her or Stanley as the winner.

vCash
    Well guess what, of course they did end up giving them one day.

For a challenge where the created product is supposed to be sold in an upmarket department store nationwide. Great.

I cannot believe they have kept Richard. Again. I am so so angry right now.

Well I can believe it. The producers needed the drama.

Richard has created the same dress he did before. And it didn't make sense for this challenge at all.

Daniel and Richard really have issues. Daniel is not very well connected to reality and should probably be locked in psychiatric ward and Richard doesn't have a shred of of self-awareness.They also have shockingly bad taste and they should have left the competition a long time ago.

Stanley's Lv5 control freak was really ugly also. I am very surprised that Patricia didn't lose her temper and murder him. I definitely would have.

I'm even more surprised that Michelle has produced something as incredible as that dress. Really simple, really commercial but also beautiful and sophisticated. It was perfect for this challenge.

Leyana - definitely what Heidi said. A hot dress with a horrible print.

Quote Originally Posted by skatesindreams View Post
    "Teams" has not worked, IMO.
    I think that it's worked brilliantly in terms of giving the show an edge, creating a dynamic between the designers and creating lots of drama.

Quote Originally Posted by duane View Post
    I think Patricia's look was second best. But Stanley's dress was terrible. Well, it fitted and was well cut but was just so generic and boring.

Quote Originally Posted by dbell1 View Post
    Nope, the judges just confirmed what I'd thought all season long - the team concept sucks.
    It had nothing to do with the team concept. All outfits were bad because they didn't have enough time for that challenge and because the designers were ignorant about menswear.

I now like Patricia. I think her outfits and creativity are interesting. I only see her or Stanley as the winner.
    Patricia was creative and different from episode 1. Definitely the most interesting designer of this series.

I think the top 3 should be: Patricia, Stanley and Michelle I guess (Leyana is good but doesn't excite, Daniel and Richard are TERRIBLE).

I really hope Patricia wins.

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    I didn't like Leyana's dress less because of the print than the length. It works okay on a very tall model, it would drown a woman of average height even allowing for it being made to size. Hack it off at the knees/just above and the print would be fine because there'd be LESS of it and it wouldn't seem so living-room-drapey. Nothing about it was bad but as a maxi it was overwhelming.

The winner escapes me, but I don't like stick-figure clothes (it's a rectangle. If you're any shape other than toothpick, it won't flatter, the straight horizontals mean if you're not tall, it'll make you downright squat.) But the color was a nice change from "relentless black" or "spring means pink!" (And I LIKE pink.)

I don't even REMEMBER Patricia's dress and I still want her to win overall. Not least for not waiting until Stanley dozed off and smothering him to death with damp muslin. (Seriously, I wanted to beat him.) The woman is clearly a saint.

It is not bad designers or the team concept. It is LACK. OF. TIME. No one can conceptualize, shop, pattern-make, cut, sew, fit, and show in 24 hours on borderline-no sleep. I don't think the answer is doing a Fashion Star because yeah, that show is just...blah...but going back to one-day challenges being the exception rather than the rule.

vCash
    I'm slowly getting on the Patricia bandwagon as well, although she is a little too crunchy-granola for my taste. The next challenge is the fabric design challenge; she better knock that out of the park. (Between that and me getting on the bandwagon, she'll probably be going home next.)

Layana and Michelle are egotistical and b*tchy, but they know how to design.

Stanley's dress was a snooze this week, but I'm rooting for him to be in the top three.

Richard and Daniel, time to go home.

vCash
    It is not bad designers or the team concept. It is LACK. OF. TIME. No one can conceptualize, shop, pattern-make, cut, sew, fit, and show in 24 hours on borderline-no sleep. I don't think the answer is doing a Fashion Star because yeah, that show is just...blah...but going back to one-day challenges being the exception rather than the rule.
    I don't care for the team concept; but, the one-day challenges are even worse!

Sexy Superhero
    vCash

I wasn't. The L&T honcho obviously wanted Michelle's dress and would have picked Michelle and Daniel as the winning team even if Daniel had sent his model down in sackcloth.

It would be nice if the judges were consistent. Sometimes they send home the boring well-made dress (Richard) and other times they send home the more interesting but less well-constructed dress (Samantha). This time Samantha drew the short straw.

vCash
    ^^ ITA, Rogue. Also, what reckless and others have said!

The Thunder From Down Under Challenge was the worst PR results show ever, no thanks to Heidi and the producers. The designers needed at least 2 to 3 days for that challenge, if the emphasis was actually going to be on judging quality efforts, as it used to be when this show was first developed. The thunder challenge was disastrous because of Host/ Producers' choices. Also a disservice was done to the gorgeous Aussie guys group and to the designers. Sure the designers seemingly should have done a better job even in the time they were allotted, but there were too many strikes against them. One of the best past PR shows was the one where the designers created outfits for women boxers, so the thunder down under challenge might have worked had the designers been given sufficient time to think creatively, figure out menswear construction, and execute their ideas.

As far as this past week's Lord & Taylor episode, I think it further illustrates the weaknesses of the teams concept. Too often good efforts are only safe. Patricia and Michelle had the best designs, so it's too bad they weren't teamed. If Daniel and Stanley had been teamed together, they would probably have been the losing team and perhaps Daniel would have been sent packing. I thought Stanley's tone and his effort were very bad. His dress was so blah, boring. And he was such a total pill toward Patricia -- so nasty and aggressive, which was uncalled for. Perhaps, after Tim's input Stanley began to settle down and he may have been somewhat helpful to Patricia in the end, but for himself Stanley was totally against taking Tim's advice and he was wrong about that too. It was one of Stanley's worst designs. The team challenge has taken a toll on all the designers.

Richard was awful this week in his grudge against Layana. Richard should have just been thankful that Amanda had been sent home for the thunder challenge instead of him. Richard could have taken the high road and made amends with Layana. Of course Layana and Amanda were OTT against Richard during the thunder challenge, but Richard should have tried to put that aside. Apparently though, that kind of animosity and backbiting is what the producers want to see. For his bitterness and his lack of taste, Richard should have been sent packing for the L&T challenge.

Clearly the judges were ready for Samantha to be auf'ed. She was even an afterthought in being paired with Layana and Richard. It also kinda seemed like a set-up that Tim approved Samantha's design choice and encouraged her re "bringing a new kind of customer to Lord & Taylor." The heart cutout was not a good idea. As soon as Samantha said, "Oh, I never got such a good critique from Tim. Now, I'm really going to play up the junior," I suspected she was going down the wrong road completely. Plus she and her teammates were totally indifferent toward each other which did not help. Silly that from week-to-week none of them has learned the importance of working together without all the bi*ching and blaming.

Daniel had a total melt-down in the workroom, and Michelle got overly defensive re Daniel's craziness. Michelle was lucky she followed Tim's advice and ditched the rain vest. If she was going to go with that idea, why did she choose black anyway? Her dress was a winner, but it did not look great to me in the Lord & Taylor window. It looked like they changed the trim color and it looked wrinkled. Also, altho' it was never brought up, it seemed like Daniel was trying to make a rose effect with the way some of the fabric of his dress was puckered, either that or it was simply a bad sewing job.

Too bad for Samantha, but once again, the producers had had enough of her -- she apparently wasn't pulling it for them in the exciting, controversial department, despite her nose ring (ugh). I was not that fond of Samantha's aesthetic, but I think she's more creative than Richard, who just generally has poor taste. Richard's choice of styling and accessories is horrible, and his loud, cutesy act has totally worn thin. The L&T challenge was definitely a case where the poorest outfit was auf'ed, but again Amanda was saved a few times when she had the worst executed outfit, so in the end the judges' decisions have nothing to do with taste, or with who deserves to go home.

BTW, clearly Heidi's taste is very much in question. Heidi recently wore a tasteless, crevice-plunging outfit to an event that showed off most of her breasts, leaving nothing to the imagination. It seems as if Heidi has lost her mind along with her marriage.
    http://hollywoodlife.com/2013/02/25/...wards-picture/

I really enjoy Tim Gunn but I wonder whether he's often been biting his tongue and his lips during this awful season. But Tim is nothing if not loyal to the show, I suppose. As far as guest judges, I love Rachel Roy. She always tries to find something nice and constructive to say to the designers, even for poor efforts. Rachel definitely seemed to be defending Samantha over Richard, and so was Nina surprisingly. But Heidi and the producers won out.

Ultimately the teams concept doesn't work well for an entire series because the individual designers aren't being rewarded for what they do well. Plus, the show is a joke re not giving the designers enough time to complete these crazy challenges.

IMO, Richard and Daniel need to go next. Possibly the top three might be Michelle, Patricia, and Stanley, but Layana could get lucky at the expense of one of those three. I think Michelle is talented in a funky way, but I'm not in love with her tattoos or her personality. I'd like to see what Patricia and Stanley can do for a full collection. I agree with others that it's hard to determine the skill level of these designers because they aren't being given a decent opportunity to show what they can do. Perhaps that's why Stanley was so angry and aggressive toward Patricia...

Even at the beginning of the L&T show, Stanley seemed pissed off with his comment about wanting to finally get a real clothing design challenge. But even though he did, he came up with nothing special. He was apparently too worried about what Patricia was doing.
    Last edited by aftershocks; 03-27-2013 at 01:17 AM.

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Not done yet, but...while on pure construction, I can see Richard going home. But I'm kind of hoping karma comes down on crybaby Layana, who was SO CONVINCED she was the team genius (and I didn't see anything in the workroom that really showed HER telling Daniel what to do that entitles her to "That's HALF my dress, and the avant-garde is all me but the other one is half mine and you betrayed me!")

vCash
    Layana is ridiculous. She helped Richard with the concept but that jacket is all him. That's maybe the best jacket I've seen on this show. That black jacket was INCREDIBLE!!!!!

The blazer/jacket was all Richard. Layana does not have the skill set to construct a blazer like that. Richard's construction skills are the best of all the designers.

Michelle and Patricia are the best designers.

I'm cheering for Patricia or Stanley to win. I would love to see a collection from Michelle, Patricia and Stanley. Patricia is a designer's designer. She's like a combo of Thea Porter and Bob Gibb from the 70s.
    Last edited by topaz; 03-29-2013 at 04:30 AM.
    "“My bronze feels like gold,” said the bronze medalist Carolina Kostner

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast