View Poll Results: By which date will a clean 4A be successfully landed in competition?

Voters
66. You may not vote on this poll
  • By 2015

7 10.61%
  • By 2020

17 25.76%
  • By 2030

10 15.15%
  • By 2040

2 3.03%
  • By 2050

1 1.52%
  • Sometime beyond 2050

0 0%
  • Never - its not humanly possible

29 43.94%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    There are quite a few different lighter blades now, almost every company is making a light version. (The biggest advantage is they hold a sharpening for WAY longer, at least to me where the weight doesn't matter.)

Do many men wear Edeas? Those boots are much lighter than standard boots.

I have a friend who is a long distance backpacker with 'ultra light' philosophy- she trims her shoelaces to the shortest possible length they can still tie, even cuts her hair before she goes. No extra weight at all. Would have to remove all the crystals from a skating costume- they weigh you down quite a bit.
    I don't think lighter boots would be the route to go, a skater doing a 4A would likely need a sturdier boot that was therefore heavier. Don't wanna break any ankles.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by johndockley92 View Post
    I don't think lighter boots would be the route to go, a skater doing a 4A would likely need a sturdier boot that was therefore heavier. Don't wanna break any ankles.
    I was just continuing the thought brought up by this quote
    The consensus among skaters and coaches (Stojko, Mishin) is that someone would have to develop a lighter skate with enough support.
    I agree that a lighter boot is necessary- but it cannot be a less supportive boot. Heavy materials aren't necessarily better than light ones- it is all about the technology used. It is possible the technology to make fully supportive light weight boots for quad axels doesn't exist yet.

vCash
    It will be done by Max Aaron, in January 2015.
    Happy Skating!

Crzesk8dad

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shine View Post
    What, by 2050 there'll be genetically engineered humans?
    Or a dominant mutation takes over the population?
    Or just move skating competitions to someplace with lower gravity. I think that's more likely to happen sooner than significant genetic mutations, but probably not by 2050.

Artificially reduced gravity?

Ice rinks with some springy surface beneath the ice, or specially formulated ice that has springy properties of its own?

Unlikely to become standard in all training rinks everywhere, considering that figure skating rarely pays the bills for standard ice rinks and hockey/public skating (nor speedskating or curling, which don't pay the bills either) wouldn't need the spring (or the lower gravity).

Quote Originally Posted by aliceanne View Post
    It's been dicussed in other threads. The consensus among skaters and coaches (Stojko, Mishin) is that someone would have to develop a lighter skate with enough support.
    Yeah. And also some technology in the skate itself that facilitates higher jumping?

vCash
    I wonder if Yuzuru Hanyu could?

vCash
    It will be done, and the skater who does it will receive positive GoE for licking his elbow in midair.

“It is far more important to have a good judge than a possible conflict of interest." - Ottavio Cinquanta
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    Exactly. Go back to 1970 and ask if men would be doing a quad lutz. You'd get a LOT of "that's physically impossible."
    Are 7 revolution jumps physically possible? Where do you draw the line.

Quote Originally Posted by gkelly View Post
    And also some technology in the skate itself that facilitates higher jumping?
    Wouldn't this be like swimmers using and then being banned from using the full length pants? (cheating)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by leafygreens View Post
    Wouldn't this be like swimmers using and then being banned from using the full length pants? (cheating)
    It depends where the governing body draws the line. It could be likened to clap skates becoming available for speed skaters- and almost (all?) every speed skater switching to them. When they started becoming popular, many people though clap skates should be illegal, but the ISU didn't, and they have advanced speed skating.

vCash
    I think, it's possible.

Banned Member
    vCash
    Tonya Harding did a clean Quad Loop in practice back in 1991. Unfortunately there is no known footage of this.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    It will be done, and the skater who does it will receive positive GoE for licking his elbow in midair.
    I would give them more points if they could lick their butt when doing it.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    I think it is possible. The key is a field of talent. If figure skating gets really popular and a LOT of children, as many as baseball or football, engage competitive figure skating, I think it will happen pretty soon.

vCash
    I think off-ice weight training will be the key here. Mao, as of 2010, was said to be performing barbell back squats with 50 kilos. If, over time, she could up that to 100 kilos, who knows what she'd be capable of in terms of jumping. (Kristi Yamaguchi did squats with 102.5 kilos in preparation for the 1992 Olympics, so this is obviously possible.)

Heavy back squats, then, together with explosive exercises like power cleans and power snatches, and perhaps some plymometric jumping, would certainly increase any skater's vertical jump height, and time in the air.

So, for the 4A, if one day a female skater builds up to a single 140-150 kilo squat, and a male skater up to a single 180-190 kilo squat, then the jump might be cleanly landed.
    Last edited by RickInSanJose; 02-09-2013 at 02:11 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post

I have a friend who is a long distance backpacker with 'ultra light' philosophy- she trims her shoelaces to the shortest possible length they can still tie, even cuts her hair before she goes. No extra weight at all. Would have to remove all the crystals from a skating costume- they weigh you down quite a bit.
    I have always wondered about not only the crystals, but the amount of necklace charms some skaters wear. I don't know how they will not be a distraction and extra weight.

For the 4a, I think a lot f things are possible - both the talent pool, equipment, modern training methods are essential. Look at a guy like Usian Bolt or Micheal Phelps, who are so extraordinary in their fields.

I wonder if the talent pool will not be the real limiting factor - but what could a Dick Button have done with today's boots and training methods?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123