View Poll Results: By which date will a clean 4A be successfully landed in competition?

Voters
66. You may not vote on this poll
  • By 2015

    7 10.61%
  • By 2020

    17 25.76%
  • By 2030

    10 15.15%
  • By 2040

    2 3.03%
  • By 2050

    1 1.52%
  • Sometime beyond 2050

    0 0%
  • Never - its not humanly possible

    29 43.94%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 54
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    5,352
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    50957

    Is it physically possible to land a clean quadruple axel in competition?

    Of course, anything is possible with the help of CGI, but is it physically possible to land a legitimate clean quadruple axel in competition? Or have we almost reached the limit of what is humanly possible in jump terms?

    In terms of the 6 types of jump, quad jumps have been accomplished in 3 of them in competition - the 4T (first - Kurt Browning: 1988 World Championships), the 4S (first - Timothy Goebel: 1998 JGPF), and the 4Z (first - Brandon Mroz: Colorado Springs Invitational 2011). Nobody, however, has yet landed a 4R, a 4F, or a 4A in competition. Daisuke Takahashi has attempted the 4F (e.g. 2010 Worlds FS, 2010/11 GPF LP), but they have either been deemed underrotated or downgraded. Konstantin Menshov has attempted a 4R in practice, whilst Kevin Reynolds recently attempted one in his SP at the 2012 BC Summerskate. Hence, its likely that the 4F and 4R will be successfully landed in competition at some point in the next 10 years. But what about a 4A? Is that a step too far, and does it take us beyond what is humanly possible?
    Last edited by Maofan7; 01-31-2013 at 08:12 PM.

  2. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Torontorontorontorontoronto
    Posts
    401
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I don't think so. Just like there is no lady who does fully rotated 3A, there won't be a man who will be able to do fully rotated 4A.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Age
    47
    Posts
    17,727
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    16278
    Quote Originally Posted by ehdtkqorl123 View Post
    I don't think so. Just like there is no lady who does fully rotated 3A,
    Except for Midori Ito and Tonya Harding.

    I think someone will try to attempt it one day and I will be amazed when they do. But it is never going to be a mainstay of competiton like the quad has now become because you have to be a freak to be able to do it.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    Posts
    7,549
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    7590
    Maybe if the skater is very tall, very thin, has a very deep step into the jump, and really goes for height rather than distance . . .

    . . . it would probably still be a 1/4 turn underrotated
    Last edited by bardtoob; 01-31-2013 at 09:33 PM.

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    LEAVE EDMUNDS ALONE!!1!
    Posts
    20,103
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I don't think it will ever be done, no.

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    9,764
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by bardtoob View Post
    Maybe if the skater is very tall, very thin, has a very deep step into the jump, and really goes for height rather than distance . . .
    Fast, straight rotations plus distance covered will negate the lack of height in the multiple revolutions jump. I think a 4A is possible with a heavy pre-rotation on the ice on the skid edge take-off.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Sending positive thoughts to Mirai..
    Posts
    3,686
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    7566
    I'm going to say 2020. I think the skate boot may need a bit more tweaking but I totally believe it's possible. I'm sure there was a time even DOUBLE jumps weren't considered possible, the skate boot itself evolved and look at us now!
    Congrats to my ♥Baroque Rock Princess Adelina♥Meryl&Charlie♥Tatiana&Maxim♥!Team ♥Mirai♥Adam♥Julia♥

  8. #8
    Corgi Wrangler
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Not Wearing Enough Sparkles
    Posts
    6,350
    vCash
    510
    Rep Power
    2366
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasha'sSpins View Post
    I'm going to say 2020. I think the skate boot may need a bit more tweaking but I totally believe it's possible. I'm sure there was a time even DOUBLE jumps weren't considered possible, the skate boot itself evolved and look at us now!
    Exactly. Go back to 1970 and ask if men would be doing a quad lutz. You'd get a LOT of "that's physically impossible."

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Sending positive thoughts to Mirai..
    Posts
    3,686
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    7566
    Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    Exactly. Go back to 1970 and ask if men would be doing a quad lutz. You'd get a LOT of "that's physically impossible."
    And I am positive some men from earlier eras were at least trying quads in practices!

    Until I saw the practice video of 1960 Olympic Champ David Jenkins Triple Axel I had no idea that men were even attempting that jump prior to the '70's! Never mind in 1957! . Correct me if I'm wrong anyone-but haven't skate boots advanced a great deal since David's time?

    To be sure-there are young men out there attempting quad axels in practices-here's Ryan Bradley's attempt -and here's another guy's (don't know his name) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1e7rg1hNQIw and the same guy in real time http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uG_uc4O3DVE one day...
    Last edited by Sasha'sSpins; 02-01-2013 at 03:07 AM.
    Congrats to my ♥Baroque Rock Princess Adelina♥Meryl&Charlie♥Tatiana&Maxim♥!Team ♥Mirai♥Adam♥Julia♥

  10. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    4,286
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    What, by 2050 there'll be genetically engineered humans?
    Or a dominant mutation takes over the population?

  11. #11
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    SoCal!
    Posts
    1,784
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Not that I mind or anything, but where did all this quad axel talk come from lately?

  12. #12
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    LEAVE EDMUNDS ALONE!!1!
    Posts
    20,103
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by victoriaheidi View Post
    Not that I mind or anything, but where did all this quad axel talk come from lately?
    And it wasn't even caseyedwards that started the thread.

  13. #13

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Sending positive thoughts to Mirai..
    Posts
    3,686
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    7566
    Quote Originally Posted by victoriaheidi View Post
    Not that I mind or anything, but where did all this quad axel talk come from lately?
    Ask Maofan who started the thread.
    Congrats to my ♥Baroque Rock Princess Adelina♥Meryl&Charlie♥Tatiana&Maxim♥!Team ♥Mirai♥Adam♥Julia♥

  14. #14

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    5,352
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    50957
    Quote Originally Posted by victoriaheidi View Post
    Not that I mind or anything, but where did all this quad axel talk come from lately?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasha'sSpins View Post
    Ask Maofan who started the thread.
    Came across the CGI video (see post 1), and wondered whether we would ever see one for real one day, and whether it was even possible.

  15. #15

    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    24,370
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    48514
    There was a time when people believed that the triple axel was an impossibility because it required 3 and a half rotations in the air.

    I don't see why someone could not land a quad axel some day in competition. It's a matter of when. I don't see it happening in 2015- that's just 2 years from now. However, 2020 is very possible. I am also guessing that in the next 7 years there will be improvements in boot designs which could help skaters trying this jump. However, I don't see anyone going for it for competitive advantage in a competition; it's more likely to get credit for 'first', like the quad lutz done by Brandon Mroz.

  16. #16

    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    24,370
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    48514
    Quote Originally Posted by ehdtkqorl123 View Post
    I don't think so. Just like there is no lady who does fully rotated 3A, there won't be a man who will be able to do fully rotated 4A.
    You must be very young. Midori and Tonya fully rotated the 3As routinely, just like the men did.

  17. #17

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    5,352
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    50957
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    There was a time when people believed that the triple axel was an impossibility because it required 3 and a half rotations in the air.

    I don't see why someone could not land a quad axel some day in competition. It's a matter of when. I don't see it happening in 2015- that's just 2 years from now. However, 2020 is very possible. I am also guessing that in the next 7 years there will be improvements in boot designs which could help skaters trying this jump. However, I don't see anyone going for it for competitive advantage in a competition; it's more likely to get credit for 'first', like the quad lutz done by Brandon Mroz.
    If it is achieved, then it will be a bit like the 3A in Ladies, something that is deployed by a skater in competition only now and again with large gaps in between. That is, it will be a jump that only a very few skaters can do

  18. #18
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    US
    Posts
    1,703
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    No unless we see a male version of Midori Ito. Or Midori and Elvis decided to have a baby together. Or Midori have a baby with a Japanese gymnast Uchimura.

  19. #19
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    520
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I believe Kurt once said that he thought it would happen eventually but that would be it,i.e that is as far as it would go.

  20. #20
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Tokyo
    Posts
    18
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by ks777 View Post
    No unless we see a male version of Midori Ito. Or Midori and Elvis decided to have a baby together. Or Midori have a baby with a Japanese gymnast Uchimura.
    I like that, although, alas, Kohei is already married

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •