Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
    I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Is English the first language of the person who said, "recovered"? Is it a translation? Could there be a cultural difference in the way it's used in this context, such as " Out of the recovery room, awake and lucid after anesthesia," etc.?

As far as numbness in the leg, I've experirnced it whenever I've had a sciatica attack, hardly the end of the world (even if it felt lie it at te time), and I'm guessing this isn't the first time an athlete with back problems has experienced it.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    As far as numbness in the leg, I've experirnced it whenever I've had a sciatica attack, hardly the end of the world (even if it felt lie it at te time), and I'm guessing this isn't the first time an athlete with back problems has experienced it.
    I wouldn't minimize the significance of numbness of the foot (which was one of his major symtoms) for a skater. Can't feel the blade, where you are on it, where exactly on the blade it touches down on a jump landing - it's hardly a minor point. It's impossible to turn in a reasonable performance of high level elements in that state.

Even for us occasional, low level skaters, that moment when your foot goes numb (too cold, lacing is too tight, etc.) gives us a hint - if you can't "feel" your blades and where exactly you are on them (which edge, exactly where on the length of the edge, etc.), it's hard to send them where you want them to go.

The good news is that particular problem seems to be solved.
    Last edited by Willowway; 02-05-2013 at 06:10 PM.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    I'm not trying to minimize it, but to put it in a spectrum. I don't know why a skater would risk skating on a numb or numbed foot, but skaters do go out after getting shots that numb their foot, like Shen before 2003 Worlds. My only point is that it probably wasn't the first time he'd felt the symptom, and he'd lived through it before, and it didn't always mean a hospital bed.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Numbness and weakness of the leg and foot are very common symptoms in lumbar disc disease.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    I wish him a speedy and full recovery. I would hope he puts his health and family above all else. However, given that the next winter Olympics are in his home country, I would not be surprised to see him on the ice and training once again.
    Crazy about sports!

vCash
    It sounds like this surgery is going to give him a much better quality of life than he's had for awhile. We'll have to see if he can skate at a high level once he recovers, but if hockey players can return to play, there's reason to believe he may be able to compete again. And, if he can train properly again, who knows what he could accomplish.

vCash
    OT Are there pain medications that are on the forbidden list when competing?

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    I don't know if they are forbidden but why would anyone want to attempt a quad while under the influence of narcotic pain killers?
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Is English the first language of the person who said, "recovered"?
    no
    Is it a translation?
    yes
    Could there be a cultural difference in the way it's used in this context, such as " Out of the recovery room, awake and lucid after anesthesia," etc.?
    perhaps

vCash
    Not sure about that private room decor, But the hospital is a very nice building from the outside, And the corridors are also impressive,
    I can see it right now, As i work in the lobby of the building right next to it ^_^ ^_^ ,

I went inside a few days ago trying to fish around, But sadly i have no follow through when it comes to stalking,
    I freak myself out too quickly ...

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
    That is not what was said. What was said is that he was 100 per cent RECOVERED.
    I would chalk it up to a translation issue. I haven't looked at the original Russian but am guessing that's what happened.

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    I don't know if they are forbidden but why would anyone want to attempt a quad while under the influence of narcotic pain killers?
    Well, one might also ask why a skater would want to attempt a quad with a an injury so serious they have to live on pain killers?

vCash
    Out of interest does anyone know what drug the skaters get a shot of to numb pain? I remember Alexei Yagudin getting a shot to numb his ankle one worlds and I often wondered how much of your foot it numbs - how much the skater can feel etc. Plenty of skater have received these types of shots so i was just wondering.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
    That is not what was said. What was said is that he was 100 per cent RECOVERED. Big difference and something that cannot be determined this soon after surgery.
    I would chalk it up to a translation issue. I haven't looked at the original Russian but am guessing that's what happened.
    To shed some light on this translation issue. In Russian it says

"А сейчас он восстановится сто процентов, он сегодня ходит уже!"

which more precisely translates as "Now he will be recovering (or recovered) 100 percent, today he already walks!"

Personally I find it hard to imagine that he will be able to compete at his former level but then I have no medical knowledge so what do I know. I thought the same when I saw his Eurovision performance in 2008

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pinguin View Post
    Personally I find it hard to imagine that he will be able to compete at his former level but then I have no medical knowledge so what do I know. I thought the same when I saw his Eurovision performance in 2008
    actually I thought so too.. But he came back, and skated even better before, IMO

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pinguin View Post
    To shed some light on this translation issue. In Russian it says

"А сейчас он восстановится сто процентов, он сегодня ходит уже!"

which more precisely translates as "Now he will be recovering (or recovered) 100 percent, today he already walks!"
    That's a strange way to express yourself in Russian. What was likely meant is that he is in the process of recovering 100% of his function.

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Piseev informed today that Plushenko can not compete in World Championships 2013. Not a surprise considering his health.

vCash
    Glad it was successful and he's listening to his doctors, et al. Now he has plenty of time to rest, recuperate, and slowly work his way back to Olympic shape next season.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678