Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rfisher View Post
    Actually, with this particular type of surgery, the odds that he can continue skating are fairly good. That would not be the situation with the older spinal fusion option. If there are no complications, he should have normal function and be pain free. The procedure is fairly new, but is expected to become the standard. His long term prognosis is unknown. Not because of skating but because of the materials used in the surgery. The procedure hasn't been aroung long enough to know how well the patient will do 10-15 years out which is the same for all patients. Our hospital has done several with very good immediate results.

This is truely a wait and see situation. The recovery will be much faster than a spinal fusion. I wish him well. If this surgery continues to be a success (it was only approved in the US about 4 years ago but has a longer history and study in Europe), it may change the life of many people who suffer from low back pain.

And, there is a huge difference in having an intervertebral disc replaced and having a vertebra replaced.
    For some reason I thought he is having a fusion. And that would be the kiss of death as far as skating goes. I have not yet seen any patients who've had this procedure. Do you know what kind of material they use for the synthetic disc?
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    I hope this surgery enables Plushy to skate in Sochi.

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    It's some type of polymer but soft and squishy like a real disc. What makes this better than a spinal fusion or laminectomy is, it's less intenisve, the recovery is much shorter and the patient will have the cushioning effect of a disc rather than the limitations of the fusion. Although, my dad has had 3 spinal fusions and pretty much does what he wants, albeit, he's 82 and isn't jumping around on ice skates. The possible complications are that the disc could break and may do so over time. The procedure hasn't been around long enough to know what long term effects, benefits, problems may be, but it seems to be effective in most patients.

I knew he had to have a disc problem when he said his legs were numb at Russian nationals. I hope Plushenko is one of the patients for whom this is a success.
    Those who never succeed themselves are always the first to tell you how.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Thanks. I envision something like a mini breast implant.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

Left in the Kiss-n-Cry
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    There is a animation of what the disc implant is like here under the "How a Disc is Replaced" heading. http://www.cedars-sinai.edu/Patients...placement.aspx

"Once the disc is removed, two metal plates are pressed into the bony endplates above and below the space now vacated by the disc. Metal spikes hold these plates in place on the bone. Eventually bone will grow over and around the metal plates. A plastic spacer made of a polyethylene core is put between the plates. The patient's own body weight compresses the spacer after the surgery is complete. The device allows for six degrees of freedom.

Recovery from artificial disc replacement and care afterwards are much like that for other anterior approaches to lumbar spine surgery. In some cases, recovery is faster than for a traditional fusion surgery. There is less pain from the procedure and fewer complications in general. The materials used in artificial disc replacements are similar the materials used in routine hip and knee replacement surgery. The materials are designed not to cause sensitivities once in the body."
    I meant to take the high road.... but I missed the exit.

Left in the Kiss-n-Cry
    vCash
    http://www.spine-health.com/fig-1-sb...rtificial-disc

P.S. Here's an actual picture of a replacement disc.
    I meant to take the high road.... but I missed the exit.

vCash
    Pelbeck, Six degrees of freedom doesn't seem like a lot of freedom for an activity such as figure skating, for ordinary every day living yes, but not figure skating.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Thanks! Here's another video from UCSF: http://www.spine-health.com/video/to...-surgery-video

So yeah, a bit like boob implants between metal end plates. Gnarly.

from Speedy Death

vCash
    I knew he had to have a disc problem when he said his legs were numb at Russian nationals. I hope Plushenko is one of the patients for whom this is a success.
    Which also makes me wonder if they've done any investigations of Gachinski's back...

Bionic Plushy time. I just hope he heals well. What else comes after that will come.

vCash
    I read his interview and it was not only leg. His right side of the body was paralyzed. I hope at least his pain and paralyzed right body will be reversed by rest and the artificial disc.

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikki Lee View Post
    From the International Figure Skating facebook post this morning: "ESPN reported this morning that Evgeny Plushenko is having back surgery in Israel today to replace a deteriorated disk in his spine with a plastic one. He will not compete at Worlds."
    Eeeeugh! Okay, those who think that these kinds of surgeries on a 30-year-old is normal and that Plushenko will not suffer any long-term effects from top-level skating for such a long time, really have to stop.

Quote Originally Posted by Twilight1 View Post
    Having just had back surgery myself... Plushenko is crazy to think he will be healed enough so he can compete next year in Sochi. He is older, it takes longer to heal and the amount of pressure required to do quads on his back, is just going to bugger him worst. Never mind the potential for being paralyzed.

Sorry to say but he should just hang his skates. Let himself heal and then do shows.
    To be fair, 30 is not THAT old.

However, whether Plushenko will allow himself the time and rest to heal is another thing entirely. He really might try to go for those triple axels and quads before doctor's recommendations!

Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    Hopefully it's a little more firm? But I've never touched a fake boob, maybe those are spinal-disc firm to begin with?

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    A real spinal disc is squishy and soft. Their purpose is to act as a shock absorber between adjacent vertebrae. They aren't made of bone. All of ours will deteriorate over time. Some people's just do it earlier due to their physical activity. It's not necessarily common for a 30 yo to have this, but it's not rare among athletes including golfers.
    Those who never succeed themselves are always the first to tell you how.

vCash
    Yana's obviously landed in Israel and is by her husband's side.

She's tweeting pictures.

Plushy sends greetings while looking rather bored

This is an xray or scan of his back - pretty scary....

GET BACK IN THAT BED!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LilJen View Post
    Owwwwwww. His doctors will probably tell him not to skate again, but he'll be back attempting quads in 3-4 months.
    This. Honestly, if he doesn't want to end up on a wheelchair, he'd better bow out gracefully now.

vCash
    I don't know who is more delusional, Plush or Suguri.: Know this won't be popular

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
    I don't know who is more delusional, Plush or Suguri.: Know this won't be popular
    I'll be happy if he decides to retire. I love him, so I want to him the best.
    Last edited by lala; 02-01-2013 at 02:47 PM.

vCash
    I really hope he will take his time to recover, but I guess this is unlikely. I am at the thought of what he does to his body ...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
    Or Plushenko fans; he won't skate competitively anymore.

He will be assigned to grand prix comps and he will withdraw. He will try Russian nationals and if he does poorly in the short he will withdraw. He will ask to be assigned to Euros etc...but his dreams of competing with the world’s best are over. That is a fact. He can skate and try to compete with having as many surgeries as necessary but in reality, he's a done turkey.

I hope he heals the best he can and does shows.

vCash
    Yikes! Can you say holy stabilization, Batman? Next step, (but hopefully not) Harrington rods

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by misskarne View Post
    Yana's obviously landed in Israel and is by her husband's side.

She's tweeting pictures.

Plushy sends greetings while looking rather bored

This is an xray or scan of his back - pretty scary....

GET BACK IN THAT BED!
    How many of you would like to be photographed in a hospital bed and the picture be made public for anyone to see?

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast